The Playground

Anyways, a 2.13 mg sample of ash, 3 particles selected at random, comprising between 95.6 to 95.9 % of the mass of the sample, totally digested in nitric acid, returned a result of 99.3% Ni62. So that is not a surface effect.

Nope. it's a "salting" effect. Rossi simply purchased Ni62 and added it to the sample either before or after the experimental run. The "blind mice" professors, by allowing him to handle the "fuel" and "ash" gave him every opportunity. Only the mildest sleight of hand technique, if any, was required.

I find a 9X measurement error by IH hard to comprehend, at the kind of power levels I presume (from the typical dogbine protocols) they were using. Mistaking 1W for 9W is easy to do, mistaking 100W for 900W is just about feasible, but mistaking (say) 500W for 4.5kW seems impossible assuming sober experimenters with even limited experience. I can only assume that 9X is a typo.

Agreed if we are not talking measurement of radiated heat by approximation from temperature and the Stefan–Boltzmann relationship. That can yield almost anything, absent proper calibration. If IH measured temperature rise in a coolant, than a 9X error at appreciable power levels is incomprehensible. Unless, of course, the measurements are bogus from the start and the data are made up or the instrument are made to give false readings. All of that is possible given Rossi's ability to defraud and IH's gross incompetence and negligence in properly checking him.

• If IH measured temperature rise in a coolant, than a 9X error at appreciable power levels is incomprehensible.

IH came up with that 9X all on their own.

Maybe I missed something, but when "9X" was initially mentioned, was it in a context where "9X" means a measurement error of 9 times?

Or does "9X" rather just stand for (control) reactor 9 which was mistaken as (loaded) reactor 6?

See this comments:

The Playground

The Playground

• RossAhi - but of course - your signature parseplay on words "effect". The audience has been educated by your years of factoid dicing / word-smith slicing and is smarter than that now RossAhi. When does the Fulvio magic box at Uppsala that suddenly makes everything work just before the trial announcement "leak" out?

• Alan - Fulvs was right there. Rossi refused to come up from FL to help with the unsuccessful replication attempts until TD ordered him because of this "specific problem". Classic takedown and surprising response from the inventor extraordinaire not. Nothing left but burnt toast ash after the R'ster flamed out on that one.

Watching Planet Rossi's faux star collapse is a most disgusting and despicable sight. Sort of an inverse version of "The Concert"

• Not sure where to put this.

Salt and vinegar? Playground?

lenr-forum.com/attachment/2230/ (dead link AS)

Abdul Lomax plugs crowd funding for cold fusion.

If only we could eat LENR

like we eat homegrown coffee ground mushrooms or honey

crowd funding would be no problem.

But perhaps the LENR image can improve

https://www.gofundme.com/cold-fusion-journalism.

Moved from ACSH: Are Scientists Honest? Applying Hanlon's Razor To Science Funding. Alan.

• @Mary Yugo .

Rossi wasn't arounnd AFAIK. IH came up with that 9X all on their own. And it was measured by Vaughn, Stefan and Boltzmann were both on vacation.

Alan: measured by Vaughn

That well-known engineer/scientist?

What you mean is that Vaughn followed Rossi's protocol and - yay - got Rossi's results?

IH IMHO spent too much time following Rossi's test methods as no doubt signed off also by Levi, Fulvio. They had at the time no-one to check this and tell them different.

Do you see how that creates a big problem?

Planet Rossi comments I don't expect to join dots. However, you are clearly capable of thinking logically. All I'm asking is that on this topic you make your thinking a little less selective, and admit that IH/Vaughn would be unable to debug Rossi's rubbish measurement setups and therefore would get the same results as Rossi until they just happened to do what Rossi said was not worth doing - a proper control experiment.

• THHuxleynew

Well, my point was how anybody could mistake COP9 for COP>1? How do you mistake (say) 500W for 4.5kW? Not really to do with who measured it or how it was measured, who was there or who was not. I should think my cat could tell the difference.

Alan, for someone following this story you are remarkably unfamiliar with Rossi's methods. You would agree that 9=3*3 and that therefore it can be got through typical for Rossi input power under-estimation (factor of 3) combined with output power overestimation (factor 3). You are I think knowledgeable enough to work out how both of these could have been done, because we have records of both from Rossi.

• I agree you can stretch stuff that way. But confusing 500W for 4.5kW? Come on, how much instrumentation would you need to tell the difference?

So: as you have agreed, all you would need is to use the given instrumentation correctly (proper RMS measuements on all phases without clamps reversed, correct value of band emissivity).

But given Rossi and presumably Fulvio and (certainly for the IR stuff) Levi were not doing this, how is Vaughn - a non-tech guy - supposed to know any different? Or Dameron, a barely tech guy?

IH relied on Rossi, Fulvio, and the endorsement of Levi + the Swedes. They were not initially set up to detect plain wrong use of equipment.

• THHuxleynew

Don't be obtuse THH - my point is (as I suspect you know) that to tell the difference between something roughly the size of a single 'traditional' electric fire bar element radiating 500W and the same thing radiating 4.5 kW requires little more than a piece of toast. Batteries not included.

OK - so in that case you did not understand the issue:

(1) because of input-side mis-measurement my hypothetical case this would be 1.5kW vs 4.5kW

(2) Vaughn would not know the difference - nor would many non-technical people

Of course there are input-side mismeasurement issues Rossi has used can give more than X3, making the disparity less, I was being conservative.

• You know very well i understand all the issues you raise. You just don't want to admit that missing a X9 error is just a tad laughable. Especially when so much was at stake.

Laughable perhaps, if you laugh at technical lack of knowledge, but entirely plausible. I was contradicting your implication that this was not plausible - but - since I now know you were just making a joke i can agree (it is a bit unkind though).

IH not getting better in-house tech scrutiny when so much is at stake. Sure. They have learnt their lesson now I think? Anyway you've got to realise they would have been subjected to the Rossi effect which is sociologically speaking is remarkably powerful.

:)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.