Rossi: “Steam Was Superheated” in 1MW Plant Test

• Ascoli65 wrote: "Rothwell rightly cited the Newton's law of cooling, but he applied it to the wrong element: the cooling water, the only element of the fat-cat, of which the values of the measured temperature were disclosed. In reality, he should have applied this law to the inner 'hot core' . . ."

This does not make sense.

1. The hot core cannot be much hotter than the metal box (the outside metal), because it is bolted to it, and metal conducts heat well. There is no insulating material between the core and the metal box. The metal box surface was not all that hot. It was not incandescent. It was no hotter in the afternoon than the morning.

2. The core is surrounded by water, which conducts heat extremely well. The core cannot get very hot.

3. As I said, the core and the box are made of iron (steel), which has heat capacity one-tenth that of water. Compared to the water, the iron core and box store little heat.

4. When the power was cut the first several times, the box and water began cooling immediately. They cooled quickly and the curve fit Newton's law of cooling. That was the combined cooling of the water and iron core and iron box. Hours later, that afternoon, the box and water remained hot after the power was cut off, and then cooled slowly. Why would the cooling curve change hours later, unless there was an extra source of heat? There was no physical change in the configuration. The core could not have been much hotter that it was before. The box surface was not hotter that it was in the morning, and was still bolted to the inner core. The core could not have stored any more heat than it did in the morning. The heat transfer to the water and the box walls was the same.

5. In short, the "inner hot core" would transfer heat that afternoon the same way it did in the morning.

Note that elsewhere I said that incandescent iron dunked in water cools instantly. I did not mean in a millisecond. I meant there is a fssssst! sound, a little water boils, and in a second or two the incandescent orange light goes away. Of course the iron is still hot.

• A rough rule of thumb for quenching steel from solution temperature (essentially what a blacksmith does) is that a stirred water quench is 300C/sec at the surface, oil quench is about 30C/sec and air cooling is 3C/sec. For example, "oil hardening drill rod" will develop significant Martensite if cooled at 30C/sec.

• The hot core cannot be much hotter than the metal box (the outside metal), because it is bolted to it, and metal conducts heat well. There is no insulating material between the core and the metal box.

If this is true, then Ascoli65's model breaks down, because it requires an insulator or air gap between the hot core and the water. How certain are we that the core components are bolted to the outside metal box without an insulator or air gap in-between?

• I had something written to put here, but the length restriction kept me from placing it. So I did copy the end. However, as I worked on it to finish it up, more ideas came to me. and. ... discretion is the better part of valor. I'm going to share this with Storms first. At the end of what I was going to write was:

The New Fire. You saw it here first.

This much I will say: study Storms recent work. The thinking was based on it.

I'm sure the LENR community would appreciate to know more about your view of Storms' recent work. No need to be secretive. Thank you.

• If this is true, then Ascoli65's model breaks down, because it requires an insulator or air gap between the hot core and the water. How certain are we that the core components are bolted to the outside metal box without an insulator or air gap in-between?

All it would take is to use a few ceramic insulators on the bottom of the core.
    By the way there is electricity fed into the core, at 220VAC, so its casing has to be waterproof (if not airtight) and the core electrically insulated. Electrical insulatIon most of the time goes with thermal insulation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.