Revisiting Sternglass's anomalous isotopes

• This is an old topic that I am not sure has been adequately explained.

As described in "Einstein’s Lost Hypothesis" -
    http://nautil.us/issue/7/waste/einsteins-lost-hypothesis
    - In 1951, Ernest Sternglass, conjectured he had found a way to produce neutrons, as described in this excerpt"

[In a letter to Einstein dated Aug. 26, 1951, Sternglass wrote, “You may be interested to learn that in the course of the past two months, I have been able to obtain experimental evidence for the formation of neutrons from protons and electrons in high-voltage hydrogen discharge.”

Sternglass’ neutron experiment consisted of an evacuated glass tube less than a foot long filled with hydrogen gas. He fired an electron gun, not unlike the type found in old tube TV sets, through the gas and at thin foils of silver and indium at the end of the tube. There was no known way that an electron beam of the energies he was studying (about 35,000 electron Volts) could have induced any radioactivity in the foils. Nevertheless, time and again, that is what he observed. When he ran a control experiment with the beam passing through regular air, the foils did not become radioactive.

The radioactive signature suggested that the two stable isotopes that make up silver (silver-107 with 60 neutrons and silver-109 with 62 neutrons) were undergoing transmutation. Adding a neutron to each would produce silver-108 and silver-110 isotopes, which are unstable. ]

I assume fairly similar experiments have been conducted, so I wonder whether Sternglass was correct, or some other cause was found.
    Conventional fusion has been proposed, but is that persuasive?

• Those finding Lou's comments on Sternglass' work above might also be interested in Esko and Jack's Cool Fusion. My 2nd edition was published in 2012, I got it from Infinite Energy, but I see the publisher is Amber Waves in Beckett MA.

Essentially these authors have done a lot of empirical investigation using high voltage discharges in tubes containing electrode materials consisting of many different pure elements. Further they have examined many other elements placed between the electrodes. They rely on professional labs who test the materials before and after reactions in their apparatus. Their work is rich in raw data for theoreticians and for developers of LENR approaches.

• Longview, Eric

Interesting references.
    Unless it has escaped my attention, positive or negative replications of the Sternglass experiment have not received attention in established physics journals. Puzzling, since it would seem to be fairly inexpensive, and probably not career damaging.

Here are a couple related links --
    "LENR-Induced Transmutation of Nuclear Waste" - Edward Esko
    http://lenrnews.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/EskoIE104.pdf

(Book) Nuclear Transmutation: The Reality of Cold Fusion - Dr. Tadahiko Mizuno
    http://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-…old-Fusion/dp/1892925001/
    (Book) Corking the Nuclear Genie: The Promise of Low Energy Transmutation - Edward Esko
    http://www.amazon.com/Corking-…nsmutation/dp/1493664743/

• Let me please plug Infinite Energy as a good source for the Esko and Jack book. They also (last I knew) had a really great price on Tadahiko Mizuno's Reality of Cold Fusion (I somehow got some copies of "used"-- indistinguishable from "new" to me anyway, for around $10 each). The Mizuno book is translated by Jed Rothwell, BTW. That book makes a great gift to folks who have something of a scientific background but are only familiar with CF / LENR from the general media "received view".

• I was a small cog in the big wheel of NASA's Gamma Ray Observatory, and I worked with some of the program scientists. When they saw gamma ray bursts coming up from the planet, they were astounded. Certainly didn't publish or even discuss it outside their circle. (It may have been a fault in the satellite) Then, they noticed a correlation between gamma ray bursts and really big thunderstorms and felt they could publish. So there's another example of an electrical discharge and something that wasn't supposed to happen at that voltage.

• Another fairly recent paper that proposes ( a long overdue) experiment re-examining Sternglass's results
    (I believe AlainCo originally noted this reference) -

"Synthesis of Neutrons from Hydrogen: The Conclusive Proof of LENR" - Max Fomitchev-Zamilov
    https://www.researchgate.net/p…_Conclusive_Proof_of_LENR
    (Scroll down for a pdf link)

Some previous lenr-forum discussions are at --
    https://www.lenr-forum.com/old-forum-static/t-673.html

Some claim that conventional H+D or D+D fusion explain the isotopes Sternglass found.
    Can energetic neutrons from conventional reactions cause the observed isotopic shifts?
    Would it be difficult or expensive to monitor the Sternglass reactions to prove conventional reactions?

• Official Post

It seems this experiment have been replicated
    http://iccf20.net/wp/wp-conten…016/09/Program_160923.pdf

There is a poster at ICCF20

Max Fomitchev-Zamilov
    Quantum Potential Corporation, USA

Neutron Synthesis via Arc Discharge in Low-Pressure Hydrogen Plasma: Successful Replication of Earnest Sternglass Experiment

• In the Ernest Sternglass Experiment, there is an alternative to proton capture of an electron theory as required by the W&L theory. It is well established in the standard model of particle physics that the pions convert protons to neutrons and electrons do not. If LENR is producing pions, the protons will become neutrons when the pion interacts with the protons.

The same process as in the animation with the individual quark constituents shown, to illustrate how the fundamental strong interaction gives rise to the nuclear force. Straight lines are quarks, while multi-colored loops are gluons (the carriers of the fundamental force). Other gluons, which bind together the proton, neutron, and pion "in-flight," are not shown.

• Alain,

Interesting. Hopefully, Fomitchev-Zamilov will publish more details soon.
    I forgot that the experiment was repeated several times with the same results. Refer to:

http://documentslide.com/techn…in-bethe-nov-25-2011.html

If I recall correctly, Ed Storms believed that the results could be due to low-levels of conventional fusion.
    It would also be interesting to know what would happen if the silver electrode is replaced by a different metal.

Axil,
    Maybe you are correct. I can't say. My exposure to QCD was brief and long since forgotten.

• Do you talk of internal Pions or external ones?

Muons may change protons to neutrons, but what about the probability? (of entering the proton etc...)

The decay of protons and neutrons produce a number of strange mesons(mesons composed of strange quark(s)) from which pions and muons are generated as decay products. The pions are external but the distance of reaction is constrained by their decay time. Pions might need to be very close to the affected proton. Pion decay is probabilistic and maybe only the longest lived pions enter the proton.

• The decay of protons and neutrons produce a number of strange mesons(mesons composed of strange quark(s)) from which pions and muons are generated as decay products. The pions are external but the distance of reaction is constrained by their decay time. Pions might need to be very close to the affected proton. Pion decay is probabilistic and maybe only the longest lived pions enter the proton.

Ah, Axil, What a wondrous and seductive conception.

• I resume this very old thread because recently a number of new elements added up to this topic.

As you probably know, Sternglass was not the only one who claimed the "synthesis of neutron" from electrons and protons. A very similar experience was described by don Borghi, Santilli and others. The phenomenon described by these researchers are essentially the same: when a current is passed through a hydrogen plasma, neutrons-like particles are generated. Sternglass and Borghi proved this in a very reliable way, by activating metal foils (gold, silver or indium). Santilli used electronic neutron detectors, actually more prone to interference by the plasma discharge, but obtaining quite the same results. In all cases these particles were generated only when hydrogen was used, not air nor vacuum. In recent years Ubaldo Mastromatteo tryed to replicate the Borghi experiment as well as Max Fomitchev-Zamilov. Santilli have gone way beyond, filing a partent for a neutron generator that can be used for mineral prospection purposes.

Up to now I had no good explaination to this phenomenon, except maybe EVOs/SR generation (low rate fusion events would be really low...) However, recenlty I saw a video posted by Bob Greenyer describing the concept of "dark hydrogen", theorized by someone in the very active russian LENR / ball lightning community. The "dark hydrogen" explaination is very convincing and nicely fits all this findings! It is also related to the EVO concept in that it requires a strong coupling between two electrons (forming a kind Cooper pair). The Santilli patent (US2020027573) is interesting from this point, because its apparatus obtain directionality of the "neutron" flux, simply by mechanically accelerating the gas. This would not be possible with true neutrons generated in "known" ways.

These are some references:

- Video from Bob (MFMP) explaining "dark hydrogen": Youtube

- Video from Mastromatteo about don Borghi replication (in Italian): Youtube

- Santilli paper on systhesis of "neutroids": Researchgate

- News about the Santilli neutron generator: News

- Various related articles:

• Max Fomitchev-Zamilov, "Synthesis of Neutrons from Hydrogen: The Conclusive Proof of LENR"
    • Santilli R.M., "Apparent confirmation of Don Borghi’s experiment on the laboratory synthesis of neutrons from protons and electrons", Hadronic Journal 2008
    • C. Borghi et al. "Experimental evidence of emission of neutrons from cold hydrogen plasma", Phys. At. Nucl. 56 (7), July 1993.

Related (but slighly OT) mysteries:

• The company created by Santilli, Thunder Energies, that produced the neutron generator and that was even listed on the stock market, has now completely disappeared from the web. Its old ticker simbol (TNRG) and website currently direct to an unrelated new company dealing with natural production of cannabinoids;
    • Onother product from his company was the so called "Santilli telescope" (patent US2016363756): a telescope using concave optics instead of normal convex ones. According to Santilli this would allow to see light generated from antimmater or other exotic phenomena that would feature a negative refractive index. By using this kind of telescopes, Santilli said to have discovered the existance of invisible objects moving in our skies, apparently in an intelligent way. Interestingly he said in 2016 things that have been only recently discolesed about the "UAP" phenomenon (i.e. UFO). Also most of its material on this subject has kind of disappeared from the web, or it is quite difficult to find. Just to have a rought idea of what I'm talking about: Youtube
      Apart from the these curious claims, the idea that some exotic phenomena (EVOs, SR, etc.) may generate a light that behaves in a different way from the ordinary is quite novel and fascinating, and probably deserves some consideration and further investigation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.