Why met Rossi with the Lugano professors in sweden?

• Quote from Thomas Clarke: “he (and whoever he discussed this with) are misunderstanding the problem”

WOW Mr Clarke You and just YOU have understood the reality !
    As far as I remember, my lovely Thomas, members from three universities have…

Rossi, I mean Randombit0, Thomas explained his accurate assessment for Lewan to ask Levi. Levi answered back to the assessment with nothing more than a flat out denial with no real rebuttal to explain the correct assessment. Would you like to try to explain as it was your own test seems you believe you understand it?

• WOW Mr Clarke You and just YOU have understood the reality !
    As far as I remember, my lovely Thomas, members from three universities have participated to the test.
    But ONLY YOU knows how things are !

Actually, there are many people who agree with Thomas Clarke that the Lugano test is invalidated by erroneous use of total emissivity in settings of an IR camera, in lieu of a proper calibration. I personally wrote the same independently, few days after seeing MFMP's live test with a dogbone dummy replica.The right way would have been to set experimentally a (band) emissivity to match a thermocouple reading. If for exceptional reasons this could not be done, the authors should have used IR band emissivity data (by the way plenty of data is available in the same handbook they got total emissivity from).

Had they done so, COP computation would have been close to 1.
    In reverse, I computed that MFMP's dummy would have yielded COP >4 had they set the camera on the basis of total emissivity as done in Lugano!

I personally wrote the same independently, few days after seeing MFMP's live test with a dogbone dummy replica.

Just to confirm - andrea.s got there before me. In fact without other people raising the matter I would never have considered it. As bad as Levi - the difference is that I paid attention to what everyone else was thinking, and adjusted my ideas over time.

I referenced him (if andrea is GSVIT?).

Tom

Kinda creepy when randombit0 (very likely a dude resembling an actual troll) uses "my lovely Thomas" in passing.

My threshold for getting creeped out on internet forums is pretty high, luckily. I'm good at ignoring extraneous creepiness.

• "If andrea is GSVIT"

I am not a member but I like them and happened to meet one of the members. I did act as peer reviewer on their post on emissivity before publication. I had posted my note a couple of weeks before, but theirs was far more complete and documented.

• They "are working to understand the Lugano test errors"?

Come on... for how long has the emissivity issue been known by now? Certainly for more than a year. And it doesn't need much work to insert another emissivity value into the calculations. Besides, it has already been done by you and others.

One of the frustrating characteristics of the "independent experts" who have validated Rossi claims in some way is that errors in their reports have gone without any public response, even where it has been years lapsed. This indicates that these reports are outside the normal process of science. They all had the severe flaw of lack of adequate independence, and there is little sign that these scientists understood the problem.

What I would hope for is that they do one of two things: simply admit the errors and shortcomings of the Lugano test, there are many such, and they are obvious once seen, or do new work that is actually independent. That would require one of two things:

A reactor provided by Rossi or IH, or independent construction, say from patent material.

And they might have, shall we say, some "difficulties." Asking Rossi for help would actually be completely in order. What would not be in order would be allowing him to touch the thing. Or, for that matter, Levi, who was long way too close to Rossi to be considered fully independent. That's not an accusation against Levi, it is just an obvious fact. So this initiative in Sweden, if it is under way, may be only among "Swedish scientists," which is great.

• animpossibleinvention.com/2016…uth-on-rossi-ih-affair-2/
    Search for "I have now been in contact with Levi"

Here is what Mats wrote there, together with my comments.

Ok Thomas, so I have now been in contact with Levi regarding Lugano. Here’s the situation:
    – He disputes your analysis and he says that he has shown the report to several colleagues with different expertise and they have endorsed it. This is supported by the fact that the report is still online at Bologna U.

Translation. "i have not looked at the criticism because it is obviously wrong because my colleagues endorsed my report. Possibly that's unfair for me to say, but ... there could have been a thousand endorsements that overlooked something. It's meaningless.

Levi has lost the process of science, where the researcher looks diligently for his or her own errors. That the report is on-line at U Bologna is essentially meaningless. My sense is that only some formal process that censures Levi could result in take-down. Mats has become a defender, marshalling evidence for the defense, instead of being a reporter and cautious neutral analyst. He obviously wants to be neutral, I trust that. He failed.

– He also says that the simplest way to dispute your analysis is putting the emissivity to one (1), which according to Levi still gives COP clearly above 1. I have not controlled that calculation, but the logic seems reasonable to me. Emissivity cannot be higher than one, and putting it to one should give the lowest possible temperature calculation, and lowest possible COP. Or?

That would address the emissivity problem. Did Levi do what he suggested? One problem at a time! There are many other problems with the Lugano report, emissivity is only one, but if we cannot address even one, there is no hope of objectivity.

– I don’t consider my competence to be enough to assess possible errors in your analysis so I couldn’t make a claim on who is right. I don’t have the time either (I don’t know where you get the time from). But either you accuse Levi for being incompetent, or for making errors on purpose. The second is serious of course, and would need more evidence. But even so, it seems unlikely, as you often say, that several people with different expertise at Bologna U would make the same mistake as Levi in that case.
    So – what about emissivity=1?
    Next step would be an external peer reviewer, not involved with anyone in this story.
    Now I need some sleep.
    Ordinary work + moderation of overflowing blog + fact checking/phone calling + answering questions and comments + family=…

A reporter should never make himself the final judge, but a good reporter will present evidence, and a good investigative reporter will seek to actively find all evidence and even uncover what would otherwise be hidden. Mats was worried, writing An Impossible Invention, that he was becoming too involved. Here is a basic problem: If someone confronts Rossi with fact or possible artifact, even someone sympathetic who would want Rossi to have positive results -- someone like Jed Rothwell, for example --, that person is very likely to lose access to Rossi.

What could Mats do here? How about actually consulting experts on the specific points? Mats has good access to the CMNS community, whcih includes experts in calorimetry. I'll say that he hasn't asked, at least not visibly. Maybe he has asked privately, but there is no sign of that. Clarke is not necessarily popular in the CMNS community, but he's accepted as a good-faith student and his conclusions about Lugano have not been attacked and have some level of expressed approval.

I wrote about Clarke's critique on the private CMNS list almost a year ago. That's a private list, and I was responding to a comment from a LENR researcher who obviously took the critique very, very seriously. I am not copying that part of my mail, because that list is confidential and I do not break confidence. However, I can present what I wrote.

The best opinion of Lugano by top experts in the field is that the test was "poor." Nobody knowledgeable is defending it, for a long time. So why is Lewan so clueless?

These are not pseudoskeptics! Many of them had high hopes that Rossi had found a way to generate reliable heat. They are not expressing that any more.

If Mats is paying attention, he'd know the problem. I suspect that Mats hasn't been paying attention for a long time.

• For randombit0,
    I have given a fairly concise but non mathematical summary of the overall emissivity issue on page 17 of the "science of the IH dispute" thread.
    I have supplied the locations of some papers relevant to the camera IR band emissivity discussion on page 14 of the "playground" thread.
    I am on a finicky pad right now so I cannot post direct links unfortunately.

• Official Post

What could Mats do here? How about actually consulting experts on the specific points? Mats has good access to the CMNS community, whcih includes experts in calorimetry. I'll say that he hasn't asked, at least not visibly. Maybe he has asked privately, but there is no sign of that

Abd,

In response to your suggestion that Lewan, as a good reporter, should consult an expert to review the Lugano thermography... he said this on his blog May 16:

"I have contacted several experts to get a third party evaluation of the Lugano test report and the contesting papers by Thomas Clarke and Bob Higgins. Until I receive these evaluations I only note that the original result is contested, but that no conclusive result is agreed upon. The isotopic shifts remain unexplained, unless you assume fraud."

• Quote from Abd

He also says that the simplest way to dispute your analysis is putting the emissivity to one (1), which according to Levi still gives COP clearly above 1. I have not controlled that calculation, but the logic seems reasonable to me. Emissivity cannot be higher than one, and putting it to one should give the lowest possible temperature calculation, and lowest possible COP. Or?

That would address the emissivity problem.

Actually it is more interesting, and more damning in terms of Levi's understanding of the issue, than that.

The emissivity problem is precisely that Levi (and the report) assume that there is just one emissivity that must be used for power estimation and temperature estimation, and that it is identical to total emissivity. Levi says to Mats that even if he got the emissivity wrong, the COP would be large. That is technically correct, given the implicit assumption that the two emissivities are the same.

Of course the band emissivity used to determine temperature (averaged over the 7-13u pass band of the IR camera sensor) can be different from the total emissivity (averaged over all wavelengths weighted by the Planck function for a given temperature).

It turns out that for Al2O3 and the values used in report this difference is very significant.

Abd is right however that Levi's approach to the criticism is not scientific. Instead of trying to understand it and either agree or find flaws, he ignores the key point (which he clearly still does not understand) and based on that flawed model thinks he has contradicted it.

"I have contacted several experts to get a third party evaluation of the Lugano test report and the contesting papers by Thomas Clarke and Bob Higgins. Until I receive these evaluations I only note that the original result is contested, but that no conclusive result is agreed upon. The isotopic shifts remain unexplained, unless you assume fraud."

I hope that Mats will be prepared to publish in full the determination of these experts: these things can take time, but it has been a while now.

I wonder also why he is not also getting reviewed the excellent work from GSVIT and andrea.s...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.