Coulomb Crystals

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Coulomb Crystals

Solid matter can crystallize in a plasma as a consequence of an interplay and eventual stabilization between and attractive force and the repulsive coulomb force acting on an ion. The EMF based attractive force can be adjusted to change the character of the ion crystal. These ion crystals form the nuclear active sites that produces LENR in plasma based systems.

Dipole interactions produce particle aggregation forces as shown here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Reference:

Suitability of linear quadrupole ion traps for large Coulomb crystals

http://faculty.wcas.northweste….Phys.B.107.1097-1104.pdf

This paper focuses on the EMF trapping mechanism that can be used to produce these ion crystals.

Also see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_ion_trap

The function of the RF signal that Rossi was said to use could be a means to trap ions. Stopping potentials are applied to end electrodes in a ion trap. Rossi has patented the use of a 100KV trapping potential at the ends of his reactor.

• @axil: the concept of ions condensing to a phase of matter composed of planar solid clusters (which you might define as crystals) strongly reminds me that of Rydberg Matter, which in theory, as far as I know, can by formed by any element capable of being brought in an excited state in sufficiently large amounts. I remember Holmlid writing that this condensation is very difficult to achieve in a gas (e.g. cold Rydberg gases) compared to other methods.

• @axil: the concept of ions condensing to a phase of matter composed of planar solid clusters (which you might define as crystals) strongly reminds me that of Rydberg Matter, which in theory, as far as I know, can by formed by any element capable of being brought in an excited state in sufficiently large amounts. I remember Holmlid writing that this condensation is very difficult to achieve in a gas (e.g. cold Rydberg gases) compared to other methods.

Rydberg atoms are essentially ions since the far out electron hardly feels the nuclear coulomb force.

http://lptms.u-psud.fr/ecrys/files/2014/09/Drewsen.pdf

The Coulomb crystal can form FCC lattice structure which is the magic hexagon formation that LENR likes and that Rydberg matter uses. There are many ways to skin a cat and Rossi has found a way to form these crystals using an RF, Paul, or Penning trap. Rossi uses the kind that uses a high voltage end cap seal. I need to look into these traps some more.

• /* Rydberg atoms are essentially ions since the far out electron hardly feels the nuclear coulomb force */

This is also my problem with Holmlid's description of LENR with using of Rydberg matter, because it involves the electrons at the bottom layers/orbitals of atoms - not these outside ones.

• Lugano taught Rossi something very important.. For one thing, Rossi changed the shape of the Quark reactor from a wafer format to a cylinder just like the Lugano reactor. The Quark is a pencil in shape as described as follows:

"a rough description of the QuarkX can be gathered. The technology is small and has been described both as cigarette sized to pencil sized."

The patent provides a clue to what is behind this change. The patent calls for a high voltage 100KV electrode at both ends of the cylinder. Most opinion on these electrodes assumes that that electrostatic potential is a plus and negative match,

But those electrodes could be both positive. In this case, these electrodes could serve as the end caps on a magnetic bottle where the coils the wind around the cylinder produces axial magnetic field lines the ions orbit. The positive end caps would keep the ions inside the bottle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_mirror

I have generally addressed this issue before as follows:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2015…nement-in-lenr-axil-axil/

With the emergence of the Quark, it looks like there is a high probability that Rossi has moved from a passive Exotic Neutral Particles (ENP) confinement system using steel to an active system using EMF containment. Steel wafer containment stops working at the temperatures that the Quark runs at so and externally placed active system is what now works.

I believe the 100KV end cap mod to the Rossi patent was inspired by the Quark reactor R&D as a design upgrade from the Lugano design.

• Rossi's patent calls them anode and cathode and gives the following description:

Thanks for doing that leg work. It has interested me as to what kind of confinement that Rossi is doing. His EMF confinement setup is non standard.

This is to be expected in that the item that Rossi wishes confined is a neutral particle. But that particle has a unique EMF identity and behavior unlike an ion.

I consider the ENP to be a Rydberg superatom. It is a superconductor and a dipole. In a magnetic field, the ENP will be diamagnetic. The ENP will be repelled by the magnetic field lines. If the magnetic field oscillates fast enough, the ENPs could be caught in a tight confinement movement. The Anode/Cathode electric field will align the dipole along the electric field lines. This introduces the instantiation of the Stark effect which might also involve the imposition of forbidden transitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_effect

This might cause the Rydberg atoms to be maintained in a metastable state for a longer period of equilibrium. Any ideas on this confinement method are welcome but clearly something we don't see everyday is going on.

• If one assumes that the "Rossi effect" is real (I distinguish between Rossi and LENR generally) and refers this to current reactor designs, then one would be thinking quite well that the Zeeman effect plays a role in the E-Cat and consequently the Stark effect in QuarkX.

But I don't think Rossi's designs follow a theoretical approach.

It is an obvious and experimental consequence to break the connection between heating and stimulation / control. Especially considering that it's completely nonsensical to supply more heat to a mainly heat producing process, though only the EM field (and/or pressure) has to be controlled.

To that extent the QuarkX design is only an evolution which gives more flexibility and requires significantly less input energy, if it should work. Also, a possibly produced potential may be taken out as electrical energy via the electrodes.

Currently, I have no preferences to any particular LENR theory, but very well own assumptions. I think that the conceivable possibilities for the NiH process are not currently deterministic, at least not until these are limited by a broad-based successful replication of the NiH process.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.