Michio Kaku totally dismissive: Cold Fusion is due to chemical reactions

• Today I stumbled upon this (2015) Youtube video by Michio Kaku:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Cold Fusion part starts at about 46:20, but there are other similar cold fusion stories starting some minutes before that point.
    The opening says "Huge FIASCO".
    Charles Seife is totally dismissive, he knows more than anyone. He says that Cold Fusion is chemical, but no one understood this. Expert chemists. May be some chemists know little about physics, I agree, but they know about chemistry!
    No neutrons means no fusion ... AGAIN ...
    Scientists convinced themselves ... humiliation.

• Ah, yes. But he has no problem with explaining how to time travel through a wormhole, or build a Star Trek type phaser...

Meanwhile NASA claimed that building a BB-8 type droid that moves like the one in the new Star Wars movie (head staying on top) is impossible, but traveling through hyperspace could be feasible... And yet by now dozens of RC BB-8's have been built by the general public.

• Michio Kaku is an idiot.

In one of his books he claims that we should not rule out table top fusion apparatuses, but when someone suggests that a apparatus might already have been demonstrated producing above chemical amounts of energy, he then goes on to say that its impossible because the neutron emission would kill the scientists.

Soo Michio - which way is it?

Should we rule it out, or not? Did you lie in your book to make more money? The importance is obviously not neutrons, but producing safe energy. That is what should be focus. CERN did the same thing when testing Cold Fusion. They did not even mention measurements of excess energy, because they were mainly looking for neutrons.

It is important to make people understand that Cold Fusion is not necessarily Cold Fusion, but a new field of study, and while it should be bloody obvious it seems like Michio and others just refuses to understand that they need to see behind the name to understand the field. Michio Kaku has made other statements about Cold Fusion that is factually incorrect, for example claiming that Mitsubishi and Toyota stopped their research because they saw no results. What an idiot.

How may people does actually believe an Apple computer must be made of Apples, and that one cannot work if it turns out not to be made of Apples?
    Obviously no one, so the big question is, does he and others pretend not to understand, or does people exist being that ignorant?

• Michio Kaku is an idiot.

In one of his books he claims that we should not rule out table top fusion apparatuses, but when someone suggests that a apparatus might already have been demonstrated producing above chemical amounts of energy, he then goes on…

Michio Kaku is an idiot? I would say that is one of the boldest statements I have heard in many years. He has a view that most likely aligns with most of the mainstream science community over a technology that is really still yet to be conclusively proven, and he is an idiot? Do you honestly believe you are in any position to call a highly renowned physicist an idiot? The assumption that you could call Kaku an idiot would logically place you personally well above him in intelligence and wisdom. I am honestly not trying to troll you by pointing this out, but good god calling a renowned physicist an idiot puts you in a position of much scrutiny over such a ridiculous claim. What say you?

• LENR is not fusion, it is nuclear force screening. A chemical process produces the dual of the nuclear force that disrupts protons and neutrons that produce mesons and NOT neutrons. The nucleus from any element can be disrupted, not just hydrogen. When these disrupted nuclei are reformed, energy is released. LENR is an atom smasher, not a fusion reactor.

• Official Post

Once upon a time in the green land of West America, in the land of cows and bisons, one roofer found out that there was animal in the sky.

al the cowboys around looked at his story, and laughed at him :
    if a cow would be in the sky :
    - first it cannot move to the sky because it have not enough muscles to jump there
    - second it would fall quickly
    - third if by magic it was staying there you would see tons of bullshit falling on the roofs.

you can make the rest of the story.

• He is an idiot for many reasons -

For example:

- Contradicting himself
    - For stating information that is incorrect, when informed and corrected, refused to retract his statements

Once he said that "if Cold Fusion does not work all the time, it is not real."
    You can believe what you want about a new field of physics, that's ok, but if you make SUCH a statement, you are literally an idiot.

He also claimed that a specific company is Japan shut down their CF research because they could not get it to work That was not true. I gave him the phone number to one of the engineers and said he was expecting his call, do you think he took the offer? (He did not)

I am not against for example string theory, which is what made Michio famous, but I do recognize that there is more supportive data for Cold Fusion / LENR than there is for String Theory. So if someone spent 30 years looking into strings, maybe he could also spend 30 minutes looking into Cold Fusion, a technology that actually might have useful applications.

• One of the important components of the LENR reaction is superconductivity(SC). Is SC produced by chemical means, I think yes. In general, any branch of science can be utilized in LENR as long as that science does not involve in the production of neutrons. Solid state physics, optics, nanoplasmonics, electrochemistry, high pressure physics and much more and not just chemistry can be a part of LENR.

• Kaku has succumbed to the simplicity of the meme. When that meme infects the mind then the thinking process stops. For Kaku, the meme is fusion and if LENR does not fit into that meme then LENR is invalid. Simple memes are the most devastating; they require the least thought. Even people who are smart enough to make a living teaching Einstein's theories can fall prey to the invalid meme.

• Your logic is very flawed here for numerous reasons. First, to say that someone contradicting themselves, even if they happen to be a physicist, is an example of being an idiot...is actually quite ironically an idiotic statement to make. There is not one human on this earth that does not contradict themselves from time to time...to use this as an example is so incredibly naive.

Next you say he stated incorrect information and was corrected without retraction. What information has he gotten wrong that he did not correct? If you are saying that you as a random hobbyist of science was not catered to by a famous renowned physicist via not making a phone call at your request, you are living in a fantasy world. I do not say this to belittle you, that is just a ridiculous request even if you believe you are true...the world just does not work that way.

I have never seen the exact quote from Kaku saing "if Cold Fusion does not work all the time, it is not real.", so I don't know if it is legitimate...but lets go on that premise. What exactly is incorrect about it? I think you are misunderstanding the context. My guess would be that he is speaking to the laws of nature/physics saying that if it works in nature, it should work every time by law. He is not saying that that if one cold fusion experiment fails while another legitimately works, that this would be proof of it not being real....that should be obvious. He is saying there needs to be repeatable proof that can be substantiated over and over to prove it is real.

With all due respect, you calling Michio Kaku or any other famous renowned physicist or scientist an idiot not only caused you to look very naive with those statements, but also causes one to ask what credentials or past work you could provide to warrant your bold and ridiculous claim. A science hobbyist such as yourself claiming Kaku an idiot is basically the intellectual equivalent of that of a mouse to that of Einstein.

I am quite surprised to see Alainco liking your post, all I can gather from that is that he has the same view that Michio Kaku is an idiot....correct me if I am wrong Alainco. This is all so very telling to me.

• Kaku has succumbed to the simplicity of the meme. When that meme infects the mind then the thinking process stops. For Kaku, the meme is fusion and if LENR does not fit into that meme then LENR is invalid. Simple memes are the most devastating; they…

Axil, are you agreeing with LHF Sam that Michio Kaku is an idiot? Honestly I am not poking, I am just kinda blown away by the perspectives here over this physicist.

• Axil, are you agreeing with LHF Sam that Michio Kaku is an idiot? Honestly I am not poking, I am just kinda blown away by the perspectives here over this physicist.

I am saying that the FUD masters are so skilled at what they do, that even the most skilled thinker can be fooled by spin. This is what confidence men do, FUD is a science. Take the autism connection to vaccination as causation. No truth in it at all, yet millions take it as truth without looking at the underlying data. They trust the doctor that forms the meme. After all Kaku is only human and anybody can be fooled.

• When I started this thread I did not want to start a trial against Michio Kaku.
    I wanted only to stress that the mainstream of Physics, even in "educational" occasions, is teaching to the legions of interested people (among which there are future students of physics, chemistry, engineering, ...) that F&P and all the scientists who investigated CF and found "something" were and are simply fools, ignorants, unprofessional.
    And one of the base reasoning is that if there are no neutrons the process can not be nuclear fusion.
    Has Kaku, as the majority of professional and influential physicists, ever considered even a small part the evidences that Edmund Storms reports in his books, for example?
    My guess is that Kaku and others never really looked into the evidences with an open mind.
    Science has antibodies against unscientific behaviour, but in cases like CF these antibodies are preventing evolution because they are too strong.

• I can't understand the fuzz or the headline even ("totally dismissive"). He is not dissmissive of that F&P observered an actual and new phenomena, it is just not fusion technically speaking. It's easy to find scientists who a more dismissive than this.

• FUD is like an infection. First, Kaku gets infected, then the millions that trust Kaku as the ultimate in valid science knowledge get infected. It's similar to an indorsement in politics. There comes a point where a LENR product release is the only way to change minds to the truth.

• stephenrenzz said "world reknowned physicist"

The truth is no friend of 'reknown'

Reknowned Sir Ernest Rutherford Nobel Prize winner 1908
    made the same kind of blanket statement as Michio about energy from Nuclear Fission

However the results of Hahn and Meissner were not available until 1938.
    Rutherford has an excuse, he died in 1937.
    Michio also has an excuse

The truth is not partial to reknown, however continued popularity is.
    Why would Michio risk his popularity on unpopular LENR?
    Popularity is such a fickle thing. Who would invite him or read him?

As a physicist of popularity I would not expect Michio to have examined a portion of the relevant data

on LENR transmutations before making any such statement.
    Where is that analysis written?

• Sam: "Michio Kaku is an xxxxx."

Sam, my friend. I believe that such a statement is not what we want to say to support future LENR/CF development which we agree is in everyone's best interest.

I think it is better to be respectful and not attack ad hominem (i.e. not attack to the man's person) so as to entrench a strong emotion in the counterparty.

I believe you really mean that you disagree strongly with Dr. Kaku. Well, so do I. We have seen evidence that he has not.

But we are in a political war for the research and development of LENR. Insulting and making strong enemies of the establishment physicists serves no rational purpose other than to get some emotion off our chest. This war will go on for at least a few more years, so please let it go. At some point, we will want these establishment scientists as allies under the assumption (knowing what we know as students of LENR) that the evidence will increase and that they will eventually come around. Why make it difficult for them by insulting them personally. I.e. why challenge them to pistols or swords.

Please let us keep it civil around here among the third parties. This is not Sifferkol vs. Weaver, or Rossi vs. Darden. For them, its too late.

• Professor Kaku is playing into the hands of no less a scientific mind than that nurtured by Professor Dr Max Planck. He understood science better that most. His writings predict "the Kaku's mind trap" as Kaku is caught up in semantics and the rejection of competent experimental observations.

"An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarized with the ideas from the beginning. "
    — Max Planck

Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers, trans. F. Gaynor (1950), 97. Quoted in David L. Hull, Science as a Process (1990), 379

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.