Since IH signed away their motion to dismiss grounds, what now for IH?

• Frank - Are you coming up with this leading stuff yourself? Are you trying to be funny?

If we get far enough into Rossi's case for the "ERV" to matter, it will be expert vs expert during depositions as next step. IH will make the "ERV" available when that timing works best for IH.

• Dewey

Frank - Are you coming up with this leading stuff yourself? Are you trying to be funny?

A bit of both Dewey, I was very impressed by Thomas's philosophy, when I asked him why he was here and he said 'for fun'. Lifes far too short to be too serious all the time. I know you are not averse to being funny sometimes so just joining in the party.

Best regards
    Frank

• Frank politely requested that I review this response to Dewey.

The ERV report is not yet in the court docket. Are you suggesting IH will be putting it there soon? And when they do, are you suggesting also they will be claiming it to be 'illusory'?

Not knowing what is in the report, I cannot assess IH stragegy. Rossi may need to put the report into evidence. (I am not sure about procedure at this point. Will all documents become public?) Penon may be called as a witness, by either party. I think that tactically, it is better for IH if Rossi calls him, but I'm skating on the edge of what I know.

Well if they do it will be IH that will need to prove it is 'baseless' and do so convincingly.

The current IH position, as expressed so far, is that the report is moot. I expect that they will not attempt to argue otherwise unless it becomes necessary.

Otherwise the judge will rule the ERV report stands (as it is key to the contract) and the jury will be instructed to accept it as 'fact'.

Well, again, I'm on the edge, but my understanding is that juries determine fact and judges determine law. Litigants, however, may present alternate allegations and defenses, including contradictory ones, such as "my client didn't kill him, and it was self-defense." Addressing the ERV Report is going to be expensive. If they need to, and based on many hints we have from Dewey, IH will deconstruct the entire Rossi narrative of events. There may be a question of fact in whether or not the time for the GPT was extended by agreement. Again, what Rossi has alleged must stand for purposes of the Motion, but that's as far as that goes. It will not stand if challenged, it will require evidence, and IH may have a lot of evidence to present.

However, if IH provide evidence sufficient to cause the judge to instruct the jury to 'dismiss' the ERV report as 'illusory' then a number of claims will become 'null and void'

Again, the judge is not likely to do that. It is a question of fact, not law.

All the related IP, the related patents and of course the contract which will of course be 'illusory' as it is based on 'nothing'.

I will point out that should it be true that a particular test was totally flawed, this would have no impact on the patents and licenses. I'm warning against this kind of black-and-white, linked thinking: "If IH shows the test was utter nonsense, therefore the patents are worthless." Not so.

At that point the case will be dismissed, the patents withdrawn and the IP deemed 'worthless' as will the licences.

the patents were not filed on the basis of the GPT. Indeed, patents can usually be just ideas, not tested. That got a bit crazy around cold fusion in the U.S. but we hope that was a temporary abberation, a bit of a political nightmare.

At that stage, Rossi may appeal, only then he will need to spend his money to refute IH claims but not until. So the ball is in IH's court re the disclosure of the ERV report.

Rossi needs to establish that the report met the qualifications in the Agreements. That' sin his count. IH may then counter this.

Now if IH do not place the ERV report in the court docket with a reference/claim that is 'illusory' (does not work as claimed) then we can assume IH are not confident in the view that you Dewey, are professing on this forum.

non sequitur.

The best thing that IH could hope for is to have Rossi throw a 'wobble' and either publish the ERV report himself or place it in the court docket for public view. Then of course to 'blogosphere' would set about destroying it on IH's behalf for free whether it is 'illusory' or 'substantial' as we have seen.

Well, I don't expect Rossi to do that unless he must. It is possible, I think, to have evidence that is not for public view. It's done where revealing it can cause harm. However, I don't think the ERV Report will have necessary IP in it. I don't think it will go into the crucial internal details of the devices. So ... I don't expect it to remain private. IH can reveal it at any time, outside of court. To be used in court, someone has to attest to it, there is no such thing as evidence that stands on its own, if I'm correct.

What do I think will happen? IH will cast enough doubt on the ERV report (if it ever gets to court) to suggest Rossi has 'something' but not COP>6. If they can achieve that they keep the licences, the IP, the patents and of course do not have to pay Rossi $89 million. It will be a bonus if they can also prove he did not pass on the IP and assistance required under the contract.

The analysis is defective in that the ERV, re-analyzed as I'm now suspecting may be necessary, could show COP 1.0 and yet they can keep the IP. Linking those is an obvious error. IP is IP and does not depend on a specific test result.

But maybe Rossi will win, who knows!

Lawyers tell me not to predict who will win. First of all, common is that both lose. Setting that aside, look for the court to seek equity. What would that be? Let me describe what might not be equity.

1. IH has no useful IP, has been unable to make devices that work, but because of the technical details of the contract, they must pay $89 million. Even worse: they lose the IP that this was paying for. Even worse: triple damages as claimed by Rossi for fraud. Even worse, personal liability for Vaughn and Darden, and liability for Cherokee. Just recognize this: what Rossi requested was far, far outside of equity. That he requested that is going to make any major investor leery of working with him in the future.
    2. IH makes money hand over fist with Rossi IP, but Rossi gets nothing because he failed to get formal written approval for whatever.

An attorney told me that the judge might knock their heads together and say, settle this, you dolts! Sane attorneys on both sides will be happy.

The wild card: IH concludes that Rossi actually defrauded them, the IP is worthless, and they want their money back. In that case, they would be willing to give up the IP, but ... they also spent a lot of money. Some of that they can chalk up to experience. Rossi also has to worry, I think, about a fraud prosecution. Rossi does not understand that being stupid might look like fraud. I.e., using inadequate test methods, insisting on them, could look like deliberate deception.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

Yes, I thought you would be more informed, thank you for taking the time to answer this. I agree with what you say that:

Lawyers tell me not to predict who will win. First of all, common is that both lose. Setting that aside, look for the court to seek equity. What would that be? Let me describe what might not be equity.

But, much as you admit may be 'non sequitur', we will just have to wait for the court judgements.

Then it might not be over, there will be the prospect of appeals and counter claims. Of course one of the unintended (maybe intended by some) consequences may be that anyone (LENR inventor) brave enough to consider a contract with Venture Capitalists in the future will be frightened well out of the picture and we may have another 20 years of LENR austerity.

Thanks again for your time with this.

Best regards
    Frank

• Then it might not be over, there will be the prospect of appeals and counter claims. Of course one of the unintended (maybe intended by some) consequences may be that anyone (LENR inventor) brave enough to consider a contract with Venture Capitalists in the future will be frightened well out of the picture and we may have another 20 years of LENR austerity.

To the contrary. From what I've seen of IH's behavior through this affair, my confidence is bolstered that they will (1) be patient and keep the long view in mind and (2) not be quick to reach for a legal solution in case of difficulties. It was only when they were faced with a lawsuit funded by the money that they had given one of their more speculative investments that they had to bring in lawyers to answer the charges that had been raised against them. Meanwhile there are Peter Hagelstein, Dennis Letts and Brillouin, all of whom have received support from them, and none of whom is suing them. Peter Hagelstein's assistance will no doubt be considered in the category of basic science, with not even a hope of any return on investment in the near or medium term.

IH throughout this have kept to the high road, and their commitment to helping move LENR forward shows no sign of wavering. They have for several years sought to keep a low profile and work in the background. Their behavior has been exemplary.

• Eric

IH throughout this have kept to the high road, and their commitment to helping move LENR forward shows no sign of wavering. They have for several years sought to keep a low profile and work in the background. Their behavior has been exemplary.

That being the case (and I hope you are right) I suspect and hope the case will be settled out of court.

Best regards
    Frank

• That being the case (and I hope you are right) I suspect and hope the case will be settled out of court.

I'm not so sure about that. Just to speculate (we don't know firsthand what IH think beyond the press releases and the footnote in the MTD, and only have secondhand tidbits), should they settle out of court if they believe there is bulletproof evidence of fraud, and if they let it go, there may be further victims? In that case the right thing would be to keep the matter in the courts, pressing any necessary charges.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.