Since IH signed away their motion to dismiss grounds, what now for IH?

• Start date is moot, that is what the clause of extension is for, only that the date from required test commencement to finish of test is within the extended period is relevant.

This is not what the clause in the Agreement is about. It is about a test that has begun already being extended by consent of IH. Now, it's true. If IH agreed to extend the test to, say, March 2016, the start date would be not so relevant. What would that mean? That 350 days of operation would be enough for a test lasting almost three years? I don't think so, so start date is also relevant.

That consent, to be relied upon, would have to be in writing. The Complaint does not allege that this writing exists. What is alleged is the 2nd amendment, which explicitly requires the signature of all parties. It is enough if one copy has the signature of all parties. Does that copy exist? It was not so alleged in the Complaint. And so the defect stands unless it is repaired. This was a mind-boggling defect, and it is simply no surprise that IH attorneys pointed it out.

And it stands no matter how many dance and shout on the internet that IH is Wrong. Rossi, now, needs serious legal help, not fluff on the internet. Anyone want to start a Rossi Defense Fund? He went up against people with, shall we say, ample resources. So if people really believe that Rossi is for real and is being unfairly cheated, to the detriment of the Energy Future of Humanity, how about putting your money where your mouth is?

I think it would be great if Rossi is skillfully and effectively represented. Just because his attorney, so far, appears to be a dolt, doesn't mean that Rossi is wrong, just that he is eccentric and reactive, which makes him a sitting duck. IH massively called his bluff, we could say. In the end, we will all benefit from this, I suspect, however it turns out.

In my view, the field was not ready for venture capital. Basic scientific research was needed and is still needed. That is much less expensive than development efforts, and possibly hundreds of millions of dollars have been poured, already, into LENR from that point of view, which has failed. The basic science is solid and needs better exploration of the parameter space, starting with what is known. If that is done privately, it is far less powerful and efficent than it being done publically. We need nonprofit support of the field, from government, from charities and corporate charitable giving, or from the public directly.

However, this sense of "not ready" wasn't so clear because of all the Rossi claims. So it was necessary to address that, and the only way to do it just might have been what IH did. Cooperate with Rossi, throw some money at him. Then see what happens. When we are talking about a trillion dollars a year in lost opportunity cost, $11.5 million is not even pocket change.

• So Ampernago didn't sign the amendment. Are they upset that the test got moved? Or maybe IH thought the test would never happen because Ampernago didn't sign?

IH didn't seem to have any issue starting the test even though they didn't get Ampernago's signature.

My prediction is that this won't be the "gotcha" that the IH lawyers think it is.

• Rossi is insisting on strict performance, so ... IH insists on strict performance. The fact is that Rossi failed to get the Ampenergo (get the name straight, eh?) signatures on the document. Even though the signature of all parties was required. I have written that Rossi might be able to recover. As seems to be common on Planet Rossi, LENR Calender seems to believe he can read the minds of legal experts. This much I know about lawyers at this level. They don't GAF. They just do their job. They don't think at all like LC imagines. If they did, they would suck in court. Attachment shows, people can read it. Want to see Rossi take a complete nose-dive? Convince him to fire his attorney and represent himself in court. Inventors have done that, the stories are famous. They do not do well.

Ampenergo is an independent company. But Rossi also failed to sign for Lenonardo. It was really sloppy.

IH would not have known that Rossi didn't have the document signed until Rossi filed it with the Complaint. How could they possibly know? It was in Rossi's possession, I assume.

This is not the only defect. Rossi also did not allege a document signed by the parties setting the date for the GPT. That was necessary according to the amendment. This one, IH may have known about. "So he wants to do this stupid test. Okay, let him. If it works and we are satisfied, fine. If not ... we don't have to pay. Look, I've dealt with a hostile opposing party who was ripping my wife off. But they made a mistake in a calculation that effectively refunded some of it. Did I point out that mistake? What do you think? Years later, they figured it out and asked her for the money. But the agreement they had forced on her, threatening to tie up her money for years, provided that it was a final settlement, as stated. No corrections, no more claims, end of story.

So, end of story! Not my job to protect someone who is not dealing fairly.

• LC - the MTD is a technical response to Rossi's very sloppy civil complaint. We'll soon see what parts of Rossi's complaint survive this phase then the real legal war begins. If any of his litigation remains intact after the MTD phase, then Rossi has to survive numerous legal issues to get to a winning position. He essentially has to run the table from break to get to any kind of legal win. Based on his past, the documented deception, the mistakes that he has made and his ongoing inability to understand the reality surrounding him - he does not stand a chance of winning anything and has a much greater chance of losing everything based on his refusal so far to deliver on the $10M paid-up license.

• Dewey

If any of his litigation remains intact after the MTD phase, then Rossi has to survive numerous legal issues to get to a winning position.

Don't forget, Rossi et al has his case judged before a jury who will not be expert in contract law, so while they will be influenced by instructions given by the judge, they will make their own decision, there will be a natural bias towheads David and against Goliath.

Best regards
    Frank

• Frank - what do you think the chances are of Rossi's getting the jury instruction phase?
    I really am looking forward to what Rossi's contract law and thermal experts are going to have to say about his contract and "ERV" acumen. He needs to budget about $100k for each expert and both of those are going to be highly entertaining depositions. While we're on the subject, the Rossi deposition is going to be the movie event of the decade.

• Official Post

We'll soon see what parts of Rossi's complaint survive this phase then the real legal war begins.

Dewey,

Once the war begins in earnest, Rossi may have a few cards he can play that may give IH some troubles:

-The 30 Apr/1 May 2013 "validation test" was successful for one.

-Then if the ERV report for the GPT shows COP50 as he claims, and Penon stands by it in front of the judge, that makes two successes IH has to refute.

-Lugano is a little more tricky for him, as there are several informal internet peer reviews that show it could have been successful...albeit at a lower COP than the testers concluded. But those reviews may not hold the weight the official report does. Especially so if TC and the others refuse to put their reputations on the line by testifying for IH, and against Rossi. I would suppose IH understands how pivotal this could be, and is the reason Darden went to talk with the Swedes. Most likely to try and convince them they were wrong. I would also guess that is why Rossi did the same, but to reassure them they were right. It will interesting to find who was the more persuasive.

-Fabiani could hurt also, as he still "publicly" supports Rossi , as his recent comments to Lewan attest, and will most likely counter the supposed *damning proof* of fraud you say IH has gathered to prove. If Barry West does the same (sides with Rossi)...well, Fabiani/West will be hard to overcome. Although you have alluded that BW is on your side. We shall see.

Anyways, it may be a tougher road ahead then you let on. If Rossi is a fraud, and I am 80% sure he is, then I hope you guys win and then take the fight to him.

• What does "substantiate" mean? It could mean that without Rossi's hands on attention, IH personnel could not duplicate what Rossi could do. Even after Rossi walked IH through every step of the Reactor construction process, IH personnel could not duplicate that reactor construction process without Rossi's assistance. It could be that the construction of a working E-Cat reactor is "over the head" of IH personnel and that IH needs Rossi to hold their hand far more than Rossi is willing to do.

• Shane D - appreciate your points. We'll see if the argument gets that far. For Walker to compare Rossi to David is a crime against a great hero of many religions. The jury will see a very agitated and nervous convicted felon / con artist in front of them with a quiver of lies, not a David with a sling.

• Official Post

Dewey,

In his mind, Rossi probably does see himself in the role of David vs you IH the Goliath. I wonder how he would have gotten along with Elon Musk had they partnered?...as you may recall, in Lewan's book he said that "rumor" had it, Musk tried to meet with Rossi, but Rossi refused. Probably not very well I would venture.

Take care, and thanks for IH's efforts re LENR.

• Shane D - Rossi threw Darden out of his office after 15 minutes of the first meeting. TD politely left his card and said call me if you ever change your mind / need some help. Rossi called Darden as he drove back to the airport and asked him to come back to see if an arrangement could be made. Tom turned around and the beginnings of a deal were put together.

Regarding Musk, he is a hard driving micro-manager who stays in the details and holds scientist, engineers and managers accountable on a daily basis. Rossi wouldn't make thru mid-morning in that kind of environment.

• Dewey

Frank - what do you think the chances are of Rossi's getting the jury instruction phase?
    I really am looking forward to what Rossi's contract law and thermal experts are going to have to say about his contract and "ERV" acumen. He needs to budget about $100k for each expert and both of those are going to be highly entertaining depositions. While we're on the subject, the Rossi deposition is going to be the movie event of the decade.

The ERV report is not yet in the court docket. Are you suggesting IH will be putting it there soon? And when they do, are you suggesting also they will be claiming it to be 'illusory'?

Well if they do it will be IH that will need to prove it is 'baseless' and do so convincingly. Otherwise the judge will rule the ERV report stands (as it is key to the contract) and the jury will be instructed to accept it as 'fact'. However, if IH provide evidence sufficient to cause the judge to instruct the jury to 'dismiss' the ERV report as 'illusory' then a number of claims will become 'null and void' All the related IP, the related patents and of course the contract which will of course be 'illusory' as it is based on 'nothing'. at that point the case will be dismissed, the patents withdrawn and the IP deemed 'worthless' as will the licences.

At that stage, Rossi may appeal, only then he will need to spend his money to refute IH claims but not until. So the ball is in IH's court re the disclosure of the ERV report.

Now if IH do not place the ERV report in the court docket with a reference/claim that is 'illusory' (does not work as claimed) then we can assume IH are not confident in the view that you Dewey, are professing on this forum.

The best thing that IH could hope for is to have Rossi throw a 'wobble' and either publish the ERV report himself or place it in the court docket for public view. Then of course to 'blogosphere' would set about destroying it on IH's behalf for free whether it is 'illusory' or 'substantial' as we have seen.

What do I think will happen? IH will cast enough doubt on the ERV report (if it ever gets to court) to suggest Rossi has 'something' but not COP>6. If they can achieve that they keep the licences, the IP, the patents and of course do not have to pay Rossi $89 million. It will be a bonus if they can also prove he did not pass on the IP and assistance required under the contract.

But maybe Rossi will win, who knows!

Best regards
    Frank

• ADB

Since you persist in mispelling my name, after two corrections, I will now call you Fankr. Go ahead:

Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
    So, end of story! Not my job to protect someone who is not dealing fairly.

Taken out of context. The context was a case where I was supporting my wife against an attempt to rip her off. They made a mistake. I did not point it out, and allowed them to make a "final settlement" based on the error. It still was not yet fair, but better than without that mistake. Fankr then tries to apply this to something quite different. The analogy here was actually that Rossi may have made a mistake and IH did not point it out to him. The mistake would have been not getting written approval of the GPT test date. The signature error was lesser.

So, by inference it is your job to protect someone who is dealing fairly, would that be IH et al?

My behavior in a narrow circumstance cannot be used to predict general behavior. I do tend to argue for fairness. However, I'm not protecting them here. They are not at risk here. Get that. IH IS NOT AT RISK HERE. Nothing we write here can harm them. Nothing Planet Rossi says here can harm them. My comments are, as always, aimed toward a level, detached, observation of what's happening, to the extent I can manage it. I do also get involved from time to time, like anyone. But my stand and what I return to is detachment.

Is that a formal arrangement?

I have never spoken to any representative of IH, to my knowledge. I have never been paid to do any work with cold fusion. I have received donations of general support, from time to time, i.e, toward expenses. None of this has been connected to IH in any way. I might end up working with IH in some way, because I am working with the field, but no. I have no arrangement at all with IH, much less a formal one. They have, so far, never contributed to my work. Nor have I ever asked them to do so. It appears that I met Dewey Weaver at ICCF-18. I have no recollection of what we discussed. There has been public discussion here with and some private discussion on a mailing list, but nothing about supporting me or my work, and no agreement from me that I will "defend" them.

They seem to be well represented in court. What do they need me for? My work is with the science, and if they decide to support the science, i.e., public science, we might have something to talk about. So far all their efforts have been with private development, something that I approve of, but not what I see as needed right now. Very risky.

• Don't forget, Rossi et al has his case judged before a jury who will not be expert in contract law, so while they will be influenced by instructions given by the judge, they will make their own decision, there will be a natural bias towheads David and against Goliath.

David and Goliath were not judged by a jury, and the process between them was not mediated by a court. Who has expertise in influencing juries here? I can say how Rossi looks and will look to a general audience. He's not going to look like David. He's going to look like a lunatic. His attorney will keep him out of sight. However, it is quite questionable if this case will get that far. If the Motion is entirely sustained, it is over unless it is sustained without prejudice, in which case it might be refiled with a better complaint.

If the Motion is partially sustained, what may survive would be Count I. The idea that the jury will naturally favor Rossi is Planet Rossi thinking, not sober, not sane, really. If Rossi is skillfully represented, he'd have a chance of winning, but, remember, we have not seen the evidence yet. I do not see Planet Rossi considering the equities.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

If the Motion is entirely sustained, it is over unless it is sustained without prejudice, in which case it might be refiled with a better complaint.

I agree, but only on that. The rest is purely opinion, informed I am pleased to admit but opinion never the less.

Here is some opinion for you: I chose to challenge Thomas, many times and I enjoyed the exchange. He was polite and very knowledgeable. I am happy to concede you are very knowledgeable.

Best regards
    Frank

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.