Report on Preliminary Findings From E-Cat QuarkX Testing Posted on Ecat.com

• This is interesting from over at E-Scat World:

Toulmin: "I asked AR on JONP if Hydrofusion and Fulvio Fabiani participated in the test. Interestingly (and strangely) AR edited my question and removed Fabiani and instead wrote "Did anybody of the team that made the 1 year test on the 1MW E-Cat participate?". Anyone who has a clue on why he did remove Fabiani from my question?"

What is Rossi hiding regarding Fabiani I wonder....

• All we have is semantics of performance of 0-100% 0-50% and 0-10% for the components of the 1mm QuarkX...

That sounds like a press release from IBM back in the day. They would call that as "a broad and flexible range of performance," meaning somewhere between 0 and 100%. Then they would come up with a new word to describe how the product was yanked from the market. Something like "de-accessed from end-user inventory."

• I cannot understand why my discussion partneres Dewey and Stephenrenzz are participating at this discussion when it is known with certainty that Rosii has nothing, no excess energy of any kind in all his devices.
    Therefore it is obvious that the QuarkX is
    a) nonexistent
    b) impossible
    Why do you waste time on it better tell about a miracle in IH's LENR portfolio

peter

• Andrea Rossi
    June 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Barty:
    The reasons why we cannot be independent from an external source are mainly connected with safety issues. I cannot give further information.
    Warm Regards
    A.R.

Sniff, sniff...what is that aroma? Stinks of the familiar odor of Italian bovine, again rectally dealing out the safety card to avert the obvious question of why the magic perpetual motion machine isn't self-looped.

A properly engineered control looping power would be indistinguishable to the EQuark/EQuack from plain old power mains. Safety my a$$ !

This kind of BS puts Rossi firmly in the fraud category until some honest 3rd party says otherwise.

Those entranced by a blurry picture and a new crock of unsubstantiated miraculous claims might be better hypnotized by jangling car keys.

• Not sure what's up with the talk about percentages here. Rossi was pretty clear:

Light, energy and heat can be modulated to modulate the percentages within the limits above listed, provided the combined percentages must total 100%.

He also said elsewhere that he hoped to bring the electricity % up to 20%.

• Andrea Rossi
    June 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Barty:
    The reasons why we cannot be independent from an external source are mainly connected with safety issues. I cannot give further information.
    Warm Regards
    A.R.

Last I checked, batteries have been a good way to store electrical energy for quite some time now. It would be relatively trivial to close the loop if it was real. I think maybe he has misjudged just how gullible some of his supporters are. He thinks he can completely throw a scientific approach out the window. I suppose he can, since he convinced someone else to give him money.

Although he does not take feedback about instruments or the scientific method, he does respond to feedback about the effectiveness of his presentations. I notice there was no reference to something like 0-850 mN of propellantless thrust. :) The report and picture were of equal quality. Reading the report convinces me he has nothing at all with the QuarkX other than a tool to scam more money out of investors (but don't you feel good that he won't play "American footballs" with the bones of non-professional investors?).

• I cannot understand why my discussion partneres Dewey and Stephenrenzz are participating at this discussion when it is known with certainty that Rosii has nothing, no excess energy of any kind in all his devices.
    Therefore it is obvious that the QuarkX is
    a) nonexistent
    b) impossible
    Why do you waste time on it better tell about a miracle in IH's LENR portfolio

peter

While I believe Rossi is a complete fraud, I personally still have interest in the possibility of LENR. Rossi has unfortunately caused a distraction to the field of LENR in a profound way with his fabrications causing most of the discussion and interest in LENR to be focused solely on him and this situation. All we really have currently outside of this circus is the work at MFMP which is really not making any real progress (that is not a dig at MFMP just fact) and ME356 who has unfortunately stepped away after making some incredible claims. So what are those of us who distrust Rossi left with....just a case of having to ride the current waves until something concrete is found. We are all riding the Rossi wave right now, so why not engage in the discussion until we can get back to a more honest look at LENR. Peter Gluck, I now turn the question back to you. You are obviously convinced that Rossi is honest in his claims and has the goods....if you are so sure of this...why then do you not only blog about it on a daily basis, but also engage in attacks (i.e. Jed). I see MUCH hypocrisy in your perspective....what say you?

• Not sure what's up with the talk about percentages here. Rossi was pretty clear:

Light, energy and heat can be modulated to modulate the percentages within the limits above listed, provided the combined percentages must total 100%.

Ah. Well, I have to admit, that does make some sort of sense. I took it to mean a guessing game: it might be zero and it might be 100%.

Why must you exaggerate and use strawman arguments? No one said anything like that. On the contrary we have repeatedly said that some of Rossi's other experiments did seem to produce anomalous heat. Why else would I.H. invest $11 million in his work?

We have only stated that the 1-year 1-MW test was a fiasco, and some of Rossi's previous tests were fiascos, such as his test for Jim Dunn and NASA.

• Why must you exaggerate and use strawman arguments? No one said anything like that. On the contrary we have repeatedly said that some of Rossi's other experiments did seem to produce anomalous heat. Why else would I.H. invest $11 million in his work?

We have only stated that the 1-year 1-MW test was a fiasco, and some of Rossi's previous tests were fiascos, such as his test for Jim Dunn and NASA.

Agreed...I also have never said Rossi has never produced anomalous heat...but I do believe the situation with the E-Cat plant and now the QuarkX to be wrapped in fraud. In my opinion I.H. probaby did in fact see what they considered proof of anomalous heat whether it was genuine or smoke and mirrors...but either way I believe I.H. has been deceived in the end. This QuarkX "report" is just absurd in my opinion...laughable.

• Peter Gluck - What is wrong with your interpretive faculties? I am exceedingly joyful that Planet Rossi is able to be happy on such a paucity of information. I can just feel your joy and I'm so very happy for you as well. I hope this moment lasts for days for you and your brethren.

I simply and rightfully asked "Where's the beef"? Do you know? You could redeem yourself greatly Peter by finding the beef. Pablum is the only description for what dribbled out via the Daily Planet today. Are you ready for the 1MW QX roll-up analysis from the R'miester? Its coming - It's all he knows......he cannot pull himself away.

• I don't know about misjudging. Then again, there is turnover. He has had fans since 2011. But not necessarily the same people, beyond a few. Many people who were very supportive have drifted away. 5 years of broken promises can do that. But there will be jam tomorrow.

Yeah, I saw that nonsense. There is this amazing safety device called an OFF switch, that shuts down the power, and it doesn't matter if the source is internal or external.

This is a rhetirical device I've seen when something sane is proposed (in many areas, not just withi Rossi). An idiotic objection is invented, which is considered plausible enough to stand. If the device will produce 10% of its energy as electrical power, as claimed, then this is 10 watts. He is claiming electrical input of 500 mW, as I read it. It should be trivial to self-power this. And there will still be plenty of power left over for other applications.

Now, will Rossi start making these devices and selling them for investigational use, having patented the technology?

As I read the Agreement, IH still has rights to this. If not, this would completely obsolete what rights they bought, and the Agreement was designed, on the face of it, not to allow that.

However, this report is a complete joke. This is the information in it:

Dimensions:
    length 30 mm
    diam 1 mm
    Energy produced: 100 Wh/h
    Energy consumed: 0.5 Wh/h

This is unclear. Average power, peak power, duration, etc.? This is hardly even a preliminary report. It's a couple of values that might be in such a report. These are not measurements, they are estimates, apparently. There are basicallly no details. It's claimed that the internal temperature (inside the "pipe" which is doubtless large enough to contain the 1x30 mm device) reached 1500 C. Light observed through a peephole was blueish. That is the only other actual information, apparently measured, but also approximated.

Light produced (percentage of the energy produced): 0-50%
    Electric energy produced: 0-10%
    Heat produced: 0- 100%

As has been pointed out, 0% heat is probably impossible, and is inconsistent with the other figures. If light output is 50% and electric energy produced is 10%, then heat would be 40% by the statement made about the sum. And no other form of energy is at all likely. Neutrinos, maybe? What?

No, most likely, this is sloppily written, then. And these are not test results, they are predictions or projections. Very round numbers is a clue.

Extremely interesting is the blue light, the analysis of which has resolved theoretical problems related to the roots of the effect
    Temperature on the surface of the QuarkX: more than 1,500*CNote: 2 other QuarkX put in analogous situation gave the same results..

The blue light is indeed interesting. That would appear at a temperature of more than 5000 C. So something else is going on in the pipe than merely heat. That could occur inside the pipe if there is a glow discharge there, a plasma. It would not necessarily take high input power. The Quark-X is not merely a fuel tube, obviously. The control is not merely heat, as seemed the idea with the E-Cat.

So, now, an entirely new device with no commensurability with the old. Perfect for a continued circus. All the old critique becomes, in a flash of blue light, obsolete.

If this is real, it would seem to be trivial to prove it. COP 200, with power input of 500 mW. Light energy can easily be measured, so, set the thing for 50 W of light energy. In fact, measure the light energy with photovoltaic cells that powers a DC-DC or DC-AC converter that puts out whatever input power is being used. Easy to put that together, quickly. That is, the measurement is by the device that powers the thing. Funky old photovoltaics would easily do 10% efficiency. So you would get 5 W of electrical power in addition to whatever direct electrical power was available, if any. It is possible that the 10% figure for electrical output is based on higher-efficiency photovoltaics. I.e, 20%. There are apparently devices available with over 40% efficiency.

But the electrical power output might not be based on photovoltaic conversion, rather something else.

To be sure of any of this, we'd need to know much more. However, that's how it looks. Fuzzy photos are so inspiring. Not.

• Agreed it is but a ghost or shadow of a meaningful report.

Well put! A walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. I hope so, anyway! Let this be Rossi's last performance.

Or as Oda Nobunaga said in a somewhat similar situation -- that is, in a burning temple surrounded by enemies, cut off from escape -- "fifty years of life amounts to nothing more than a dream of a dream."

• Jed Rothwell said "in a somewhat similar situation"

Jed is over dramatizing "the situation"

Rossi is neither Macbeth nor Nobunaga.

The 'situation' is more like a comedy of errors.

And many commentators are erring on the side of error.

As for me
    "Until I know this sure uncertainty,

I'll entertain the offered fallacy.”"

I'll follow the Bard's 'physics'

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.