Poll: Should we ban Rossi-related discussions?

• To all the new members: If you had watched Rossi for the last six years, as some of us have, you might have a deffenent perspective on his "vital" information. Perhaps there is a way to get a recapitulation of the amazing snakes and ladders and teasers from Mr. R. A huge waste of time, and distraction from real developments in the LENR field. I have now mostly moved on, and check in here and a few other sites from time to time, and it is the same as it ever was. Rossi blah blah Rossi blah blah blah. In MANY years not a single shred of substance.

• In MANY years not a single shred of substance.

Indeed. I agree completely.

But some things have changed:

1. I.H. experts did a careful study of his 1 MW test. They determined it did not work. Experts have never had a chance to look so closely at his tests before. (The Motion to Dismiss mentions several "inoperable reactors" so I suppose they looked at more than one.)

2. He wrote a report. (Or perhaps Penon wrote it, but he endorsed it.) He has never written a report before. This was a big mistake. I have seen some data from this report, and a small schematic. It proves his claims are wrong.

3. He stated publicly that he did not allow the I.H. expert to visit the customer site, even though the expert insisted. In my opinion, this is tantamount to admitting he committed fraud. Rossi's supporters here don't see it that way, but I do. I have never seen Rossi so boldly brag about one of his underhanded tricks.

These three developments are why I finally, belatedly, came to the conclusion that Rossi is a fraud. I am sorry to say this, but he is as bad as Krivit and others said all along. I told Krivit that. It wasn't easy swallowing my pride and admitting it.

• These three developments are why I finally, belatedly, came to the conclusion that Rossi is a fraud. I am sorry to say this, but he is as bad as Krivit and others said all along. I told Krivit that. It wasn't easy swallowing my pride and admitting it.

Krivit pointed out the obvious possibility, but did not help -- at all -- bring out the truth. He just kept saying the same thing over and over, practicing his usual yellow journalism, with very little news. Rossi -- convicted felon! (which was misleading, the story is simply much more ambiguous than Krivit always made it).

From 2011, I pointed out, over and over (mostly on the private CMNS list) that we could not tell if Rossi was a fraud or commercially deceptive (i.e, attempting to confuse competition). It took IH to pop that balloon. If we are going to award prizes, it would be to IH, for taking that risk, not for Krivit's repetition of the useless.

Krivit has also accused others of misbehavior, "data alteration," which is a serious claim about a scientist. He recently lied to a LENR scientist about me, claiming that I publish material revealed to me in confidence. He's attempted to damage the field, many times all in the name of ... Krivit Truth? Or his main source of funding?

I attempted to work with Krivit. He said that if I didn't write about him for six months, he'd talk with me. I didn't write about him for six months. He then spat in my face. effectively. It was worse than what Rossi did with you, Jed. It was direct and obvious and plain intentional insult. For no reason, other than Krivit probably did not want to work with anyone who could see through what he was doing, that's my guess. He'd already burned out many board members, and finally shut down the nonprofit, probably because it was revealing information about his funding.

So Krivit is, at best, a snake who recognized a snake. So?

• Don't ban Rossi. Just ban those who criticize him. Yay!

Rothwell:

These three developments are why I finally, belatedly, came to the conclusion that Rossi is a fraud. I am sorry to say this, but he is as bad as Krivit and others said all along. I told Krivit that. It wasn't easy swallowing my pride and admitting it.

But you didn't tell me that, you silly boy, you. And I was on the case since you and I tried to get Rossi to agree to some simple and definitive tests such as sparging steam. That was in early 2011!

• But you didn't tell me that, you silly boy, you.

I should have. Mea culpa.

And I was on the case since you and I tried to get Rossi to agree to some simple and definitive tests such as sparging steam.

Yes, I recall that. I pretty much lost interest in him after that. Especially after he nearly blew up those nice people from NASA. I felt renewed interest in him, and renewed respect, when he signed the deal with I.H. That is ironic. Those people seemed sharp to me. They still do, I guess but everyone makes mistakes.

Let me say this though, about both you and Krivit. It is easy to be right when you predict failure. When a discovery is made, a new business started, someone tries to reform an institution, or any other difficult but worthwhile task begins, you can get yourself a fine reputation as a seer by saying: "It's hopeless. It is not even worth looking at. Stuff like that always fails." Just bet on failure every time and you will do well. But that is no way to go through life. As Theodore Roosevelt put it:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

• How about starting a Brilliant Light Power discussion. Here is a quote from their new presentation, plus some answers below from Mills today. This is way beyond Rossi:

"There are very interesting new developments at BrLP. The power of the plasma as shown for the first run of a new approach that we started about a month ago can be extraordinary, bursts of millions of watts in a volume of a coffee cup. Cell meltdown including the thick tungsten electrodes can occur in seconds. Five independent validators using four cross confirming methodologies, two absolute spectroscopic and two thermal techniques using a commercial calorimeter and a heat exchanger on the SunCell, have established that the power demonstrated is megawatt level with about 8 kW total input."

Great new results! Pease put the changes into context of the current design and process for us.
    >>I will present that on the 28th.

Also you mentioned megawatt bursts but was the continuous power measured at the megawatt level in the new calorimeter validations?
    >>Continuous until the cell melted.

I hope the melting problems can be controlled or was this allowed to happen merely
    <<We have a refractory material design for the high powers and temperatures.
    for demonstration purposes?

• Andrea Rossi
    June 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    Ovidiu Herlea:
    Thank you for the suggestion: I need to add a Physicist specialized in optics and photonics to the Team.
    Warm Regards,
    A.R.

Maybe the blue light of the QuarkX has finally shown Rossi the proper path to valid LENR theory.

Brilliant Light Power (BLP)also sees light as a path to a new energy source.

Proof of a new energy source is provided by two otherwise inexplicable observations: (i) The formation of a high-energy hydrogen plasma in the absence of any input electrical power, the nonexistence of any energy releasing chemistry with this fuel, and the further impossibility of known chemistry of this high energy. (ii) The emission of soft X-ray radiation at a voltage far less than that of the light energy produced and the inability of any known chemistry to release such high energy.

BLP realizes that the hydrino theory is not able to support the magnitude of the power produced during the meltdown of their SunCell reactor.

The lack of educational background and interest in optics, photonics, and nanotechnology among LENR advocates makes exploration of the role light plays in LENR problematic among rank and file LENRests.

The bottom line, the road to understanding the LENR reaction is rooted in the photon as the active agent in LENR.

Let me say this though, about both you and Krivit. It is easy to be right when you predict failure. When a discovery is made, a new business started, someone tries to reform an institution, or any other difficult but worthwhile task begins, you can get yourself a fine reputation as a seer by saying: "It's hopeless. It is not even worth looking at. Stuff like that always fails." Just bet on failure every time and you will do well. But that is no way to go through life.

Sorry, Jed, but you are doomed to repeat the same mistake over and over again. My antipathy to Rossi had absolutely nothing to do about discovery, new businesses, predicting failure to be right, NONE of that. And you are completely wrong about my approach-- you just couldn't be MORE wrong. Just as I did with the Sniffex and Steorn scams, I looked into Rossi originally because I thought he had something interesting and possibly marvelous. But after I read about his past history, his horrible experimental design and most of all, his failure to allow any method which could yield reliable results, I begin to suspect he might be lying. The way he and Levi treated Krivit after the guy went all the way to Italy to see Rossi didn't help either. Levi had done the experiment correctly EXCEPT for calibration and refused to even discuss with Krivit the need to repeat it with proper methodology and documentation. Why? How could that be if Rossi really had something that worked?

Just as Steorn's fiascos with demos at Kinetica and Waterway and Sniffex's disastrous demonstration at Anaheim convinced me they were frauds and cons, Rossi's lack of proper methods and lack of success with his completely superfluous "megawatt plant" and the ridiculous hot cat which lacked any forced cooling system-- those sealed the deal for me. Rossi could have taken easy steps anywhere along the way to make his tests foolproof and many people including me wrote exactly how this could be done. But instead of considering these honest suggestions, Rossi insulted his critics and made each new test worse than the previous one. Also his experiments yielded less and less power and "COP" with time-- exactly, PRECISELY what you expect from a classical free energy scam. Those are the reasons I thought Rossi was a crook. Not the reasons you state. Not even a single one of them.

As for IH and Woodford, it is telling that they have claimed due diligence and independent experts without ever describing the methods or naming the experts. I think they simply and gullibly relied on what Rossi told them, and what they read and perhaps heard from Levi and the Swedish scientists. Classic mistakes when dealing with a potential scammer. A foolish waste of $10 million. It remains uncertain whether they learned anything or whether they will continue to throw good shareholder money after bad by funding other LENR claimants also without proper vetting. You think they are smart? You think giving Rossi $10M of shareholder money without properly independent and totally reliable testing was smart? Consulting Krivit or Clarke or Pomp or Peter Ekström, Popeye or even little old me or one of many other critics of Rossi would have been smart. Dick Smith, the billionaire consulted several critics of Defkalion including me and he saved his money. I wrote to Magnus Olofsson of Elforsk and he replied that he would study the issue of Rossi further and assigned someone in management to do it. After that, he did not waste more time or money with Rossi. Those folks were smart. Vaughn and Darden were reckless with other people's money and did not act smart from the start.

The lesson for the believers is to never believe something simply because someone tells it to you. Look for proof. Look for evidence from reliable, well proven sources-- major companies, commercial and government test labs, university departments acting officially, not independent professors with obscure backgrounds. And all experiments need controls, blanks and calibrations! Don't respect anyone who won't do that. And for heaven's sake, examine the claimant's background, criminal history if there is one, and past accomplishments.

But then, I know the above is mostly a waste of breath. Jed and the other believers will likely move on to another scam just as they discarded Defkalion for Rossi. I bet some of them just love Brillouin and BLP.

• The lesson for the believers is to never believe something simply because someone tells it to you. Look for proof. Look for evidence from reliable, well proven sources-- major companies, commercial and government test labs, university departments acting officially, not independent professors with obscure backgrounds.

"Look for proof" is good advice, but it only applies to very few people, only those who have the knowledge necessary to look for evidences and to evaluate them. Millions of people around the world became aware of the Ecat's wonders, but the vast majority of them had no other way to assess their reality than relying on the prestige of the experts who evaluated the heat output. These experts were primarily some university professors. Those who believed to the extraordinary performances of the January 14, 2011 demo did not base on Rossi says, but on the university department which assumed the responsibility in front of the media to assess the energy output of his devices.

Rossi didn't fool anyone having a minimum of common sense and the knowledge of a physics teacher. All physicists of that department became aware of the claimed exceptional results of that demo. They could have seen and analyzed frame by frame the 3 videos showing all the main phases of that event (1-2-3), and immediately available on the web. The calorimetry report of the department came out ten days after, claiming the fantastic and imaginative data that confirmed an unbelievable excess of power (4). It would not be so difficult to recognize that the claimed power/energy output was due to 3 blatant errors in the reported data (5). It would have required no more than half a day to a physics professor. Despite these clear flaws had been denounced on many public blogs, those professors and researchers did officially approve a research contract on the Ecat (6), which would have directly involved 5 of them for 2 years!

So, the support to the Ecat was not the initiative of "independent professors with obscure backgrounds", but the official involvement of prestigious academic institutions, cleverly exploited by the propaganda.

I believe that it is appropriate to stop putting Rossi at the center of the debate on the Ecat. The academicians who did support this affair over the years could not have been deceived by him. To the search for truth, it's much more helpful to clarify what has been the role of people who acted around Rossi to achieve their specific objectives.

The Ecat provides us an example, one of the most sensational, in which mankind has deceived itself by means of the highest scientific and academic institutions, those ones which more than any other would have to raise warnings against this kind of popular illusions.

This is a lesson not only for the believers, but for all of us. We should strongly ask those institutions to tell us the truth on the Ecat. They know it. The discussion shouldn't stop before then.

(1)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(2)
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(3)

(4) http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LeviGreportonhe.pdf
    (5) Rossi: “Steam Was Superheated” in 1MW Plant Test
    (6) http://newenergytimes.com/v2/s…NIBO-NoticeOfContract.pdf

• Official Post

Well said Ascoli. I think Joshua called it "appeal to a higher authority". The untrained like myself could comfortably believe as long as those with the background to know (higher authority) themselves believed, and continued their support of Rossi. Who could doubt Rossi when the former president of a Sceptics Society became a Rossi fan himself? Without the Swedes and Bologna profs giving him legitimacy, the story probably would have died out much earlier...possibly saving Darden his $10 million.

But we unskilled believers can take some of the blame. Early on there were clear indications that something was not right. Signs not requiring a science background to notice. Those imaginary customers for one, factories promised but never built. Buying 10 condos with his IH money. His JONP alone is a red flag. So much more. Maybe without the higher authorities backing Rossi, we would have given more weight to the soft science metadata...who knows?

I do take exception with your alluding that the profs somehow profited from their time with Rossi. I have heard nothing of that, and believe they did it all for the good. Feeling it was their scientific duty to step up to the plate, risk their reputations, to see if the Ecat really worked. Well, their reps are shot, so I guess they paid the ultimate price. Too bad. Rossi ruined a lot of careers, and I am sure he does not care in the least.

• I do take exception with your alluding that the profs somehow profited from their time with Rossi. I have heard nothing of that, and believe they did it all for the good.

For the good of what? Certainly not that of science or humanity. Levi knew that he had calculated enormous excess heat on the basis of incorrect data. His collegues knew it's impossible to verify the steam dryness with a phantom probe, measure a flow rate 2.5 times greater than the maximum deliverable by a dosimetric pump, overstate of 100% the duration of a phenomenon on a graph.

Feeling it was their scientific duty to step up to the plate, risk their reputations, to see if the Ecat really worked.

Assuming that it really was a duty of the Bologna physicists to verify a phenomenon already amply refuted in the 22 previous years by the scientific community, their department would have had the duty to apply for the maximum correctness towards the public, correcting asap these obvious mistakes, on which all the subsequent Ecat's credibility was based. But Levi did not corrected those data, and none of his colleagues and bosses objected anything, so that after more than 5 years someone can yet be said on the web: "Some of the previous tests, such as the first Levi tests, seem positive."

This is not the responsibility of Rossi, but of the scientific institutions that supported his claims.

Well, their reps are shot, so I guess they paid the ultimate price. Too bad. Rossi ruined a lot of careers, and I am sure he does not care in the least.

Which price? No one has paid any price. Indeed, some has done a good career.

I think we should stop judging all the aspects of the Ecat affair with respect to Rossi. He is not the savior of the world, but he is neither the responsible of its present difficult situation. The unfounded hopes spread by some interested scientific and academic lobbies have resulted in much worst troubles.

• Sorry, Jed, but you are doomed to repeat the same mistake over and over again. My antipathy to Rossi had absolutely nothing to do about discovery, new businesses, predicting failure to be right,

Okay, prove it. Let us see you stick your neck out, be bold, and predict a difficult but important success. Is there any cold fusion experiment you feel is probably correct? Are you willing to justify your belief in something that most scientists dismiss? Or are you the kind of person who only kicks those who are already down. I get a sense you are that kind of bully, who enjoys being right when most people agree with you, and when you would be readily forgiven if it turned out you were wrong.

I suggest you try taking an unpopular stand on some issue that matters. See how it feels.

• /* Should we ban Rossi-related discussions? */

Of course not. Like it or not, Rossi is the most close of commercialization of cold fusion.
    Not to say, the censorship at forum dedicated to cold fusion, i.e. the topic already censored with mainstream physics would be moronic oxymoron.

• Of course not. Like it or not, Rossi is the most close of commercialization of cold fusion.

Wouldn't Mills -that darned other unending scam!- be closer? He's been designing reactors for a decade and a half now, and they seem very solid

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.