Open Source Data logging system for LENR research

• Hello all.

I'm new on the forum, but I've been following LENR for some time now and I want to contribute with what I can to the community.

I have a background in marine engineering and currently study electronics and programming, so I have knowledge about thermodynamics, measurement, electricity, instrumentation, electronics and programming.

As a way to contribute to the cause I've been thinking about creating an open source data logging system specifically designed for LENR research. Proprietary systems can cost an arm and a leg and for a researcher who's paying out of his own pocket, I believe that this would be a blessing and help a great deal in providing data logging.
    It would consist of an hardware interface and a python interface for data visualization on screen.

My questions to this community are these:

Is there a need for such a system?
    If so, what would be needed in terms of system specifications?
    Is there anyone on this forum who would like to collaborate on this project?

:lenr:

• You should talk to people at the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project, and at Hunt Utility Group. I believe they have a system they've set up to support MFMP's mission of open science called HugNet. They may either need an upgrade or be interested in collaborating with others on a standardized specification.

• @nuclearNut
    MFMP is currently working towards a DAQ system to supplement or replace HUGnetLab as an open-source tool for LENR research.

One key problem we need help with is to integrate the data from our Tektronix PA1000 power analyzer. It has a GPIB-on-USB data interface and an existing NI-VISA driver that stores data in a SQL-like database. HUGnet also uses MySQL, running in (Linux) Apache client-server mode for data storage. Our immediate need is for someone to write some php or Python scripts to insert the PA1000 data into the HUGnet server upload. If anyone here has the skills needed to take this on, we would really appreciate the help. HUGnetLab is (mostly) open-source and some source code and documentation is available on GitHub.

We're considering Brian Albiston's LabJack-based system as an alternative platform, and Brian has generously offered to help with this but only has limited time to devote to it. We have a LabJack T7-pro to work with, if anyone has experience and some high-level library modules for it. There doesn't seem to be any suitable turnkey software for it, and it isn't interface-compatible with the earlier LJ boxes.

• Official Post

Hi. At www.Lookingforheat.com we have a whole range of low-cost data-loggers based on the Arduino Mega. They write data as an XLS file on a dedicated SD card. Inputs as standard are temperature(s) and voltage/current, but we also offer custom versions that will record almost any inputs you require. Files can be read by Excel or Open Office and transformed into a wide variety of graphs..

• Hello all,

@magicsound
    I have some python skills, but still learning. I have been working on a GUI program that can in principal be used with any serial device, it is functional and very configurable, but still needs some work. I haven't implemented SQL yet, so it will only log to a .csv file at present.
    It can show 8 values and graph 4 plots. Data is sent via USB and formatted as a comma separated text string.
    Variable names (headlines) for displayed values can be customized and the displayed value can be chosen by the index of the received text string.

It is currently single-threaded, and this is something that will be improved in the future.

Alan Smith's datalogger is easily programmed to work with it.

How do I include pictures to a post here?

• HUGnetLab has a great advantage that I'm reluctant to abandon. It is built around a net broadcast framework and includes near-real-time graphing and downloadable, persistent .csv data archiving.

It also disadvantages as Ecco has reminded us, but these can be overcome in principle, because it is open-source. Here's a casual design spec (wish list) to open the discussion:

* Flexible, expandable and stable front-end with easy setup and provision for calibration in standard units.
    Support for existing standard data interface formats (like GPIB) is essential for integration of 3rd party instruments.
    * A/D sampling at 1k samples/sec minimum and configurable per-channel averaging for output data.
    * Multiple binary/pulse/counter inputs with time stamp per event and sparse data storage.
    * Near-real-time data upload to a public server, with graphic display of data and csv archive.
    * Reasonable cost and easy learning curve for end users.

Not asking too much am I?

• @magicsound
    It should not be to abandon what you have, it would be for any experimenter who needs a software suite for logging data.

How many inputs would be required and what type of sensors?

What would be an acceptable ADC resolution? I am considering 6 K-type inputs with MAX31855 chips for temperature measurements.

Something like:

6 x K-type inputs - MAX31855
    10 x Voltage input, for example min. MCP3201-c 12 bit resolution 100k samples

With
    Etnerhet and RS232

Upload could be connected to a service like plot.ly or similar service?

• Hi guys,

I'm not LENR replicator or physicist. I'm professional electronics engineer, but recently I became interested in LENR topic especially after reading "Rossi vs. Darden developments" and results of SRI tests.
    So I started thinking how can I contribute to LENR community.

I developed some data logging widgets both at my current company and for open-source community. Here is some example [tindie, ebay].

Right now I made simple and tiny voltage logger, it logs up to 8 voltages to SD card with configurable sample time, calibrations and filtering.
    This is open source and open hardware project
    Here is Github repo: https://github.com/akpc806a/Voltage_Logger
    Some recent testing results: https://akpc806a.wordpress.com…ltage-logger-with-sd-card

Thus using of-the-shelf thermocouple amplifier for example [1, 2, 3], it is trivial to make logging system for high temperature measurements, which is essential for validation of LENR prototypes.

The logger hardware is cheap (around $20), so if someone interested I could assemble a couple and sell from my Tindie store to gain some user experience.

• Hi guys,

Small update for my project.

The voltage logger is now available to buy on Tindie:

https://www.tindie.com/product…tage-logger-with-sd-card/

The price is just a material cost.

I tested this device also with AD8495 thermocouple amplifier, here is some comparison with Extech SDL200, the professional temperature logger ($300). Two identical K-thermocouples tied together in a hot water. The difference is about +-0.5 degC.

Hopefully someone will be interested

• Two identical K-thermocouples tied together in a hot water

I have tested commercial thermocouples (Omega) this way and it turns out it is a bad way to test. I put 5 thermocouples in a small aluminum block that was heated uniform in temperature and captured the data while it cooled. It looked like the thermocouples didn't match very well until I found that the problem was that they each had a slightly different time constant. If there were all brought to a constant equilibrium temperature, they all read very close to the same value. But if they were all measuring the same temperature that was, for example, a cooling block, the curves vs. time would be different due to the slightly different thermal time constants. So, you really need to evaluate at constant settled temperature.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.