Jed Rothwell on an Unpublished E-Cat Test Report that “Looks Like it Worked”

• Nuclear Power in Italy(Updated November 2014)

Italy has had four operating nuclear power reactors but shut the last two down following the Chernobyl accident.
    Almost 10% of its electricity is now from nuclear power – all imported.
    The government intended to have 25% of electricity supplied by nuclear power by 2030, but this prospect was rejected at a referendum in June 2011.
    Italy is the only G8 country without its own nuclear power plants, having closed its last reactors in 1990. In 2008, government policy towards nuclear changed and a substantial new nuclear build program was planned. However, in a June 2011 referendum the 2009 legislation setting up arrangements to generate 25% of the country's electricity from nuclear power by 2030 was rejected.

Any interest in those nuclear data bases are dead in Italy as well as in so many other countries. Why encourage interest in a dead technology?

• IH Fanboy

And that is a failure of them, not Jed.

You can't seriously compare lenr-canr.org with IAEA Nuclear Data Services! If you consider that JR's collection is not contained in the IAEA database, you can understand how irrelevant cold fusion is. This is not an opinion, this is a fact.

• I expect very little from this. [...] Why would the U.S. military have any desire to reveal what they know about LENR to the general public?

Because they have been invited by the Representatives of the US people to provide a briefing on LENR. Whatever they will (or won't) answer, it will be very important and meaningful, especially for those that have still some hope in this field.

I expect the U.S. military to use this opportunity to deny LENR ...

It is probably their right to oppose a motivated refusal to reveal what they know on this subject, but, I suppose, it's not allowed to lie in this official occasion.

... and to label Rossi a conman.

In such a case, it should also be explained why a functionary of DoD appears since March 2010 in the Board of Advisers of the web journal used by Rossi to divulge worldwide the performances of the Ecat and all the other related initiatives.

• @oystla

As a chemist you should rather be highly interested in the Fleischmann and Pons type experiments, and let physisists take the nuclear battle. It's not your field of expertice.

Evidently you don't know the existence of Nuclear Chemistry. Where do you live? Which is your field of expertise?

• Because they have been invited by the Representatives of the US people to provide a briefing on LENR. Whatever they will (or won't) answer, it will be very important and meaningful, especially for those that have still some hope in this field.

I believe it will have little meaning for the general public, and whatever is released for public consumption, will probably be denials of any near term implications.

It is probably their right to oppose a motivated refusal to reveal what they know on this subject, but, I suppose, it's not allowed to lie in this official occasion.

You seem to have little understanding of the way things work in the states. The executive branch, and particularly career military officials, hold congressional members in fairly high contempt. They don't like it when members of congress call them up to try and persuade them to expand a navy base in their congressional district to benefit their constituents, or persuade them to build more cold war era tanks to boost jobs in their district when there are already thousands of unused tanks lined up in the desert that have no use in our modern age, or nudge them to build more bombers than are actually needed, or tell them how they should be running the war against ISIS, and so forth.

They view congress members almost as pests. They (the military men and women) are of the executive branch. While the legislative branch holds the power of the purse, the military folks are more aligned with the views of the president (at least theoretically).

To think that a committee of congressional representatives hold influence over military men to divulge their LENR knowledge and secrets is laughable. It won't happen. They will simply refuse to answer questions under the guise of national security. Nothing much will come out of these hearings. In fact, I would be very surprised if anything useful came of these hearings. At most, there will be bland acknowledgement that yes the Navy was interested at one point, but have now abandoned any work in the area. That's about as much as you'll get, I think.

• It is only basic electrochemistry. I can add for you that in the conditions described by Iwamura nothing happens; the current in the cell is zero.

You don't appear to have carefully read my comments. Having some experience editing learned Japanese authors, I suggested a miscommunication / mistranslation. Iwamura, in this case, also may not be inclined to describe every detail to allow proper replication. We don't know the exact situation. So far, it appears that an experimental error by Iwamura is lowest on the list of causes of your failure to replicate. Of course, your dogmatic approach may well be near the top of such a list.

• I see that we are interested in different aspects of the many-sided world of cold fusion. I only care the scientific side; you prefer to care the socio-psychological side. Being a chemist I am in no way interested in your socio-psychological considerations, sorry.

The strongest and most convincing critic here over the last two years, in my mind, was Thomas Clarke. His motivation was exactly what you, 'cam' are excluding above. By his own admission, if I recall it correctly, he was very interested and primarily motivated here by the socio-psychological considerations. He also contributed strongly to the dialog here, and was a potent critic of the developments claimed by say the Rossi group, as one example. By contrast, your performance here is noteworthy only for its lack of substance and its hints at self aggrandizement-- if we agree participating in database accumulation is 'grand'... Personally, I appreciate the databases that are available, but am completely bored by this "cam" purveyor's pretentions that such are the essence or sine qua non of science.

• @Longview

Personally, I appreciate the databases that are available, but am completely bored by this "cam" purveyor's pretentions that such are the essence or sine qua non of science.

The real problem is that JR's library and IAEA database do not meet. Cold fusion papers are rejected by IAEA. GANS ignores cold fusion.

• @Eric Walker
    Sloppiness and ignorance in cold fusionists can be found everywhere.
    Tadahiko Mizuno - Nuclear Transmutation: The Reality of Cold Fusion
    Page 100
    In this case [an electrolysis] it may be possible for some of this electrons to acquire sufficient energy to tunnel into the nucleus. As a result, electron capture occurs, inside the hydrogen atom and alkaline metals atoms, the electrons combine with protons to form neutrons.

A very easy way to produce neutrons, indeed. Weak force tamed by cold fusionist T. Mizuno.
    Have you ever read Mizuno's book translated by JR? Please do, it is amusing.

• @axil

IAEA is the pipit of the U.S. department of energy, who has vested interests is killing LENR.

Not only IAEA is the pipit of DoE, but also BNL. It is an international conspiracy against cold fusion.
    Look through these sites:
    Center of Nuclear Physics Data, Russian Federal Nuclear Center (VNIIEF), Sarov, Russia
    China Nuclear Data Center, Beijing, China
    Nuclear Data Centre, Obninsk, Russia
    Japan Charged Particle Nuclear Reaction Data Group, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
    Nuclear Data Bank, Issy Les-Moulineaux, France

• Eric Walker
    Sloppiness and ignorance in cold fusionists can be found everywhere.
    Tadahiko Mizuno - Nuclear Transmutation: The Reality of Cold Fusion
    Page 100
    In this case [an electrolysis] it may be possible for some of this electrons to acquire sufficient energy to tunnel into the nucleus. As a result, electron capture occurs, inside the hydrogen atom and alkaline metals atoms, the electrons combine with protons to form neutrons.

You are responding to someone else, above.

• One of the major satisfactions that we will see in the upcoming year will be the disestablishment of all those institutions that you have listed here. And more, the reassignment of all those who use those services to other work. Enjoy your gig now, it won't be around for too much longer. The end of the neutron age can't come soon enough. When humankind forgets that ignominious technology, the world will be better for it.

• CAM, "CF mystery was solved in 1-4 May 1989 in Baltimore. It wasn't a mystery, but an episode of incompetence and delusion."

You evidently have not studied the story of 1989. Let me remind you of What went on back in 1989:

In 1989 Dr. Steven E. Koonin of CALTECH (where he was then an employee) called the F&P claim a result of "incompetence and delusion of Pons and Fleischmann". And the physcists at the APS meeting 3.May 1989 bursted into applause.

So one of the greatest scientists of calorimetry in the 20th century, Martin Fleischmann, was incompetent when it came to measure.....excess heat by calorimetry. What an irony.

The debunking of cold fusion by the physics community was a Shame of science, and the biggest mistake in science of the 20th century. CF was actually a new discovery, that could have solved much of the global warming problem. But physicists turned their back on Fleischmann and Pons way too early. The physisists used some 40 days and 40 nights (!) to conclude and place CF into the Category of pseudoscience, or as "pathological" science as they named it. And the deciding institutes where CALTECH and MIT.

F&P had been doing these experiments since 1983. And physisists concluded in 40 days. What an irony.

But F&P where right in their excess heat measurements, energies far beyond possible chemical artifacts. But physicists are just like people in general: don't like changes, especially from "outsiders".

The problem in 1989 and which possibly still exists, is that physicists thinks there are no possibilities of "mysterious" nuclear reactions that would not produce expected gamma rays. The complete herecy of 1989 was that two chemists dared to claim some new unthinkable discovery within the area of physics. Like some outsiders trying to learn the dear physicists something completely new. Well, It took only 40 days for the physicists to shoot them down. Would not help If they had a new theory to explain it. Actually, It would make it only worse, since it would be inconcievable that some non physicists where to both discover a new phenomenon and have the theory to explain it. All physicists knew and still know that with nuclear reactions and fusion follows gamma radiation, and none where measured. So it had to be a pure chemical effect or measurement errors. But nature is full of surprises , and we have not reached the end of science..yet..

After this event Cold Fusion was put in same category as Ufology, so only the boldest scientists would touch the subject, on the risk of their career.

Anyhow: there are dusins of LENR theories, but lack of funding and interest in the Scientific community holds back the progress of the field. And no theory will initially be able to explain all phenomena, enough with one testable that can predict some outcome as a start.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.