A simplified theory of LENR

• This comment on proton decay -or rather transformation - comes from a previously unpublished note from Professor Sergio Focardi. Translated from Italian of course -fairly badly by me, but the meaning is -I hope- clear.

.....N = P + e^- + av,where e ^-is a negative electron and av is an antineutrino; radiation persists for a few minutes in the system, then they annihilate into thermal energy, no radioactivity. To determine the transformation of (elements), transforming the Proton, with emission of energy corresponding to the loss of matter is the particle that Enrico Fermi called W, which was later identified by Carlo Rubbia, work that earned him the Nobel Prize. On this system the W particle is triggered by the excitement of hydrogen atoms..... The energy provided is sufficient, taking into account that the interaction of the W particle, an intermediate boson which respects the Bose-Einstein statistics, for weak nuclear interactions....

Regarding: "N = P + e^- + av,where e ^-is a negative electron and av is an antineutrino;"

Beta decay and reverse beta decay caused by the weak force is nothing new. This change of protons into neutrons and neutrons into protons happens when there are a very large mismatch between the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

The Widom-Larsen theory of LENR is based on this electron based proton conversion to the neutron.

The meson driven theory is new and comes from my prediction and verified by Holmlid's experiments.

• Official Post

Alan, where did you get this private correspondence in Italian from? I agree that "Focardi was certainly a great original thinker, and one of the real pioneers of Ni/H LENR", nevertheless according to Piantelli he NEVER succeeded in his own lkab of observing excess heat. It is my understanding that ALL Rossi's IP is actually based on secrets discovered by Piantelli and passed on by Focardi.

There are a lot of people who would argue with that statement! As for the source, I have copies of some old correspondence with another researcher - no longer working. They are not really suitable for publication in full -but maybe one day.

• you will never see neutrons in LENR is because the neutron never leaves the nucleus on its own.

These are not LENR activated reactions.

But Axil, in context, has this:

Being confined by the Coulomb barrier, the positive sub-atomic particles stay inside the nucleus and disrupt the it.

Longview responds: No one has suggested they are LENR-activated. But on the other hand, we have no way of knowing, since LENR mechanisms are yet to be defined. Nor, do we know if it is, or will be, of any importance if and when such mechanisms are defined .

most people get lost in the weeds. Sorry to have confused you all with trivia.

It is a bit worse than trivia, Axil's error percentage has been sustained at a remarkably high level. It appears he may be confusing himself as well.

• Longview responds: No one has suggested they are LENR-activated. But on the other hand, we have no way of knowing, since LENR mechanisms are yet to be defined. Nor, do we know if it is, or will be, of any importance if and when such mechanisms are defined.

These LENR mechanisms have been indicated in Holmlid's experiments, namely the detection of muons, D-meson kaons and pions as delineated by time of flight methods.

There is also observation of billions of neutral fragments moving at 1/3 the speed of light...most likely helium from alpha emissions from the nuclei disrupted atoms.

• There are two kinds of LENR, one that produces radiation, neutrons, and tritium and one that does not. What is the difference?

There is a mismatch between the activity level driven by the coupling constant of the strong force as opposed to that of the weak force. As the EMF level increases, the strong force kicks in first before the weak force does. The LENR strong force based reaction begins and produces gamma radiation, neutrons, and tritium, but the weak force LENR reaction is still too enfeebled to thermalize the tritium and suppress the gamma and neutron radiation. As the EMF power density increases through a more vigorous dipole driving mechanism, a sufficiently high activity level is reached in which the weak force begins its radiation normalization function. When this critical transition level is reached, gamma is suppressed, neutrons go away, and tritium is instantaneously thermalized to He3. The x-ray spike that MFMP is seeing is the point were the strong force becomes strong enough to begin nuclear activity, but the weak force is not yet strong enough to mitigate the nuclear radiation being produced by the strong force.

This mismatch between the strong and weak force coupling constant activity levels is evident in cold LENR systems...those systems that are not being driven hard enough to produce sufficient EMF density to activate the full LENR activity levels of both the strong and the weak force.

• For the record, not that anybody is going to get anything out of it, but here is the types of sub-atomic particle reactions that are expected to occur when a proton or a neutron decays.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1508.05530v2.pdf

The people that are trying to detect this type of delay are assuming certain sub-atomic particle will be produced.

One caught my eye, two protons(diproton) decay to produce a tau particle, now that is weird.

• These LENR mechanisms have been indicated in Holmlid's experiments, namely the detection of muons, D-meson kaons and pions as delineated by time of flight methods.

As many already pointed out: Holmlids experiment is far away from being LENR. The reaction is caused by high ignition, focused LASER energy. The same, as others use for the B-H Fusion reaction.

The Holmlid reaction has already be patented by SPAWAR because it's an interesting (small, cheap) tool to generate various particles.

Nevertheless: Holmlids (SPAWAR's) "reaction" is interesting, because no public known physics can fully describe it. So, it's open if the same (SPP breakup) mechanisms also cause LENR.

LENR, as most of us understand it, should be ignited at chemical energy-levels, and should not produce any harmful uncontainable particles.

• Do you have the patent number or link to the Holmlids (SPAWAR's) "reaction" info ? Thanks in advance.

• I don't see how introduction of proton decay with GeV-scale photons could help with explaining lack of MeV-scale photons?
    But the first problem of LENR is taking two nuclei together - I also don't see how proton decay could help here?
    The later issue seems to be clear if considering trajectories of electrons, the former could be explain by radiating this energy by cylindrically symmetric EM impulse (instead of gamma): Electron-assisted fusion

Regarding "the basic structure of space/'ether' ", I agree that we should search for a concrete field which localized structures (solitons) recreate our particle menagerie and their dynamics ( http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1416 ).
    Far from particle we have only electromagnetism+gravity, with Gauss law for charge(/mass) conservation - the entire field guards charge conservation. There is nothing like that for baryon number, so there is no reason to believe that baryon number has to be always conserved. However, such violation would require extreme conditions.

• Soory Arnaud, no link exists. It has never been seen online before. It is from private correspondence. Focardi was certainly a great original thinker, and one of the real pioneers of Ni/H LENR, along of course with Piantelli. But since Piantelli outlives…

Ok I understand why I don't have this. I've studied the work of Focardi and was unaware of it.

• You might ask: "I don't see how introduction of proton decay with GeV-scale photons could help with explaining lack of MeV-scale photons?"

Word Salad warning, you might not understand this.

One of the formative mechanisms that drive LENR is Bose Condensation. The energy produced by nucleon decay is broken up by super-absorption. The gamma photon generated by the LENR reaction is partitioned into Square Root(N-1) where N is the number of Bose condinsate members. Bose condensation is a inherent component of the Surface Plasmon Polariton mechanism. In plain talking, every SPP forms a Bose condensate.

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-s…einstein-condensates.html

The Bose condinsate is the mechanism that supports super radiation. This is a major EMF amplification mechanism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superradiance

In quantum optics, when a magnetic beam interacts with a nucleus, all of the energy stored in the SPP Bose condinsate is directed into an impossibly thin beam. If there are a billion SPPs, then the magnetic power of the square root (of a billion SPPs) is directed at the nucleus. All energy transfer is done through entanglement. Even an an alpha particle produced by the LENR reaction trave; meters away before it hits something, that energy that is produced by the impact is redirected to the Bose condinsate via entanglement.

In the Holmlid experiment, all the millions of high energy alpha particles impacting reactor structure or room walls are all sent back to the SPP Bose condensate. After all, Holmlid is still alive and going strong.

• In quantum optics, when a magnetic beam interacts with a nucleus, all of the energy stored in the SPP Bose condinsate is directed into the impossibly thin beam. If there are a billion SPPs, then the magnetic power of the square root (of a billion SPPs) is directed at the nucleus.

Conflating a lot of concepts here, Axil. Superradiance is not dependent on a "magnetic beam" whatever that might be. An electromagnetic field associated with a triggering photon(s) can recruit an unlimited number of other excited entities into a coordinated spontaneous decay to yield a quasi coherent and well directed beam of photons in nearly the same axis as the original triggering photon(s). Perhaps you are suggesting something akin to the Hagelstein inverted Karabut idea, that is an inversion of the usual superradiant phenomenon, wherein a large level of electromagnetic energy is somehow distributed back down to a bunch of distributed electronic excitations. But the difficulty there is that the high energy source in the inverted Karabut case would be one or a few very high energy photons somehow distributed down to many low energy photons, NOT a direct shift of high energy photons to a similar number of low energy electronic excitations.

Your model looks like glorified ferromagnetism, and sounds something like it too. The "impossibly thin beam" is just that--- impossible. Magnetic beams.... that is a new one for us to contemplate.

But, clarification of your points will be welcomed by many here, I am sure.

• Conflating a lot of concepts here, Axil. Superradiance is not dependent on a "magnetic beam" whatever that might be. An electromagnetic field associated with a triggering photon(s) can recruit an unlimited number of other excited entities into a coordinated spontaneous decay to yield a quasi coherent and well directed beam of photons in nearly the same axis as the original triggering photon(s). Perhaps you are suggesting something akin to the Hagelstein inverted Karabut idea, that is an inversion of the usual superradiant phenomenon, wherein a large level of electromagnetic energy is somehow distributed back down to a bunch of distributed electronic excitations. But the difficulty there is that the high energy source in the inverted Karabut case would be one or a few very high energy photons somehow distributed down to many low energy photons, NOT a direct shift of high energy photons to a similar number of low energy electronic excitations.

Your model looks like glorified ferromagnetism, and sounds something like it too. The "impossibly thin beam" is just that--- impossible. Magnetic beams.... that is a new one for us to contemplate.

But, clarification of your points will be welcomed by many here, I am sure.

I have posted pictures produced by experiments with SPP monopole beam production. For your convenience I will recapitulate here.

Half-solitons in a polariton quantum fluid behave like magnetic monopoles

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1204/1204.3564.pdf

See page 4

• I read through the SPAWAR patent until I got to the particle discription as follows:

Examples of the types of particles generated and detected may include, but are not limited to: alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, energetic protons, deuterons, tritons, and neutrons.

Holmlid particles are different, they are mesons. Holmlid's process is not described by the SPAWAR patent.

• The Quantum Erasure Experiment shows us that the Past is adjusted to support the Present observation.
    We observe cold fusion therefore the "Laws" of physics have to be adjusted to accommodate the observation.
    Of cause all the other observations have to supported too, hence the subtleties.

• The Quantum Erasure Experiment shows us that the Past is adjusted to support the Present observation.
    We observe cold fusion therefore the "Laws" of physics have to be adjusted to accommodate the observation.

Arthur, is there any chance the laws of Florida could be adjusted to accommodate the findings?

P.s. sorry everybody for some pun, on another note I am relieved to see a science debate without name-calling, whatever one thinks of the adventurous theories proposed.

• @axil thanks for finding that really Cool paper by Hivet et.al. - in fact 10 degrees Kelvin cool. It certainly supports your focus on the weird behavior possible with quantum polaritons, even if they turn out not to be relevant to LENR.

One tantalizing hint is the importance of lattice defects in the semiconductor cavity for the asymmetric generation of monopole-like soliitons. See "Methods" on page 8.
    It immediately made me think of Storms' NAE, though I suspect he would scoff at the connection.

• @axil thanks for finding that really Cool paper by Hivet et.al. - in fact 10 degrees Kelvin cool. It certainly supports your focus on the weird behavior possible with quantum polaritons, even if they turn out not to be relevant to LENR.

One tantalizing hint is the importance of lattice defects in the semiconductor cavity for the asymmetric generation of monopole-like soliitons. See "Methods" on page 8.
    It immediately made me think of Storms' NAE, though I suspect he would scoff at the connection.

It might turn out to be a foundation for a magnetic laser that connects, converts, and organizes the spin of photons and projects all those spins as a thin laser like magnetic flux line beam.

This behavior is seen in the collapse of the cavitation bubble that can drill a hole in a diamond. Yes the polariton is produced by cavitation bubbles too.

I will shortly write a post on the blue light that connects all this stuff together, and that goody is really weird.

• Piantelli had to disassemble his reactor to extract the nickel bar that he then inserted into the cloud chamber.

Correct. But Piantelli also monitors his heat producing cells for gammas. He has sodium iodide and germanium gamma ray spectrometers. If there were any muons you'd detect some radiation don't you think?

Only some residual activation of the nickel would have been seen.

This is unlikely to be the case because there are no known alpha decays with half lives of days and energies around 2 MeV.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.