A simplified theory of LENR

• /* The mechanism of cold fusion is proton decay. */

The formation of muons and decay of hadrons isn't promoter of cold fusion, but actually a parasitic process of it which is running at higher energy densities and which decreases the total energy yield of it. As a clue for this insight may serve for example the fact, that the cold fusion
    usually runs without any muons or even neutrons released into an outside...

The correlation doesn't imply causation and in this case you even have it opposite, i.e. you're promoting retrocausality. The confused mainstream physics is full of such retrocausalities, for example with respect to explanation of pseudogap phase for superconductivity. The
    physicists already know, that the pseudogap phase occurs often together with superconductivity - so that they're deducting, that the pseudogap phase serves as a promoter of it. The situation is exactly the opposite, though - the pseudogap is parasitic, i.e. competing effect for
    superconductivity. Just the fact, that the social parasites hang around rich people often doesn't imply, that these parasites are contributing their richness - on the contrary.

Got it?

I can explain the actual reason of the muon controversy for cold fusion in deeper detail at the more physical level, because it's not actually as difficult to understand, as it looks at the first sight. The energy yield of cold fusion originates from decreasing of net curvature
    of surface of atom nuclei during their merging, i.e. by similar principle, like the merging of mercury droplets due to their surface tension.

The decay of hadrons followed with formation of smaller fragments like the muons actually decreases the total energy yield, because the net surface area gets increased again. As we may imagine, if we would split the water molecules during merging of water droplets, then the
    resulting energy will get lowered, because it will get consumed into a decay of otherwise stable water molecules (or protons at the case of atom nuclei).

So nope: the decay of proton and formation of muons isn't mechanism of cold fusion, but its competitive process instead.

• Official Post

High Frequency RF is a 'skin effect' insofar as antennas go- and a steel reactor casing would be pretty much like a Faraday Cage if you had an external source. But with an internal antenna and careful matching of frequency, antenna length and cavity size it would be entirely possible to set up a resonance effect inside the reactor.

How RF would penetrate the little crooks and nannies in the Nickel lattice is however beyong my powers of speculation.

• There are two extreme ways of achieving high energy density in essence: at first, we can collide the atoms randomly so we have to increase their speed during it - which is primitive brute force and apparently wasteful approach...

Or we could collide long chains of atoms in such a way, their nuclei will get stuck/jammed along a single line in the moment of collision. In this moment the compact stack of atom nuclei serves as a piston or needle and whole the combined momentum of many atoms get concentrated
    into a very small volume, so that the Coulomb barrier gets literally pierced there. I.e. we aren't increasing the ENERGY of individual atoms, but their NUMBER and the inertia combined at the moment/place of collision.

What's better, the usage of this smart directed approach instead of brute force gets rewarded with great utilization of energy of resulting fragments of fusion, i.e. the electrons and neutrons. These neutrons don't leave the place of collision randomly, but they're oriented in
    parallel with the line of colliding atoms in such a way they're absorbed inside the long and compact stack of atom nuclei - so that their energy gets dissolved inside the high number of atoms at the same moment.

These neutrons get braked fast, which is why the Widom-Larson theory talks about them like about "Ultra-Low-Momentum neutrons". But these neutrons actually have no low energy - they're just propagating along very dense 1D stack of nuclear matter, which gets packed at the place of
    collision temporarily. Their low effective momentum is given by their extremely low mobility inside this environment.

/* Basically, the lattice physically shepherds the constituent particles to movement along a constricted plane? */

Not just plane but single 1D line - which is something, which cannot really happen inside the chaotic plasma - no matter how dense and hot it is: due to random distribution of particle location and momentum the probability of coincident collision of multiple atoms at the same
    moment gets extremely rare. Which is why the tokamak is just mindless waste of energy.

Inside the random plasma we have few options, how to increase the probability of collinear collisions of particles: for example the fast expansion of gas through narrow nozzle into a vacuum, which eliminates turbulence (some XUL lasers are already using this option). Or by their
    acceleration with linear voltage gradient. Or - as Holmlid is already using - their excitation with beam of laser.

The laser beam is perfectly collinear by itself, so that the particles get oriented their momentum, despite their location still remains random. From this reason the laser activation of fusion requires considerably higher energy densities and it also leaves higher amount of
    ionizing particles, which is also waste of energy.

From this reason the Holmlid's way of fusion has nothing very much with both cold fusion within metal lattice, both with laser fusion as practiced by NIF or Nova experiments, because these arrangements utilize the inertial confinement of plasma, i.e. its fast 3D compression by
    gold target called a hohlraum, which leads into chaotic 3D particle collisions again. And the NIF does very best for to make the collisions highdimensional by arranging the beams from all sides at the same moment - this is reliable way, how to kill the laser initiated fusion
    instead.

For cold fusion the low dimensionality of collisions is simply the key of success.

• /* Thanks Zephir, I am struggling with how to apply RF into a NiH lattice. */

This is actually very easy: just use the etched nickel wire as a cathode and to connect it with one-way rectified output of RF generator. The anode is another wire, which may not even protrude the reactor - its capacitance would induce the glow discharge across wall of reactor in similar way, like the discharge inside the plasma ball.

In early experiments with cold fusion the palladium wire served as a cathode of deuterium filled plasma tube. When cold fusion started, then the palladium wire did glow brightly for prolonged time without introduction of any energy from outside. You could use it like the light bulb.

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ArapiAexperiment.pdf
    http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BensonTcalorimetr.pdf
    http://www.iscmns.org/iccf14/ProcICCF14a.pdf#page=308
    http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ENEAabstracts.pdf
    http://www.iscmns.org/FIC/J/JNE3N23.pdf#page=20

• /* How RF would penetrate the little crooks and nannies in the Nickel lattice is however beyong my powers of speculation */

The RF doesn't need to penetrate anything, it just serves as a way of implantation of ions beneath the nickel surface (analogy of magnetotron sputtering, which is IMO perfect rector design for cold fusion). As I already said, the DC voltage discharge cannot accelerate the ions very much until the pressure/density of gas remains high, which is important at the case of nickel hydrides, which would otherwise decompose at high temperature and low pressure. The intensity of DC corona can never get so high and once the corona changes into an arc discharge, then the electric energy gets wasted due to low voltage drop of arc, which serves as a short circuit. At the atmospheric pressure the RF plasma works better, as every constructor of Tesla coils knows well.

• How RF would penetrate the little crooks and nannies in the Nickel lattice is however beyong my powers of speculation

Of which frequency range are You talking?

The old way to do it was "superwave" (patented). Waves which should have (at least for some time) a quadratic gradient. This idea is supported by several new fields, which observe a super linear, up to exponential stimulation of latice bound atoms by square waves.

According to other theorists it is also possible that very low frequency (few Herz) sweet spots exists!

• I can see four basic solutions to feed EMF into a NiH lattice:

1. Outer coil giving alternating EMF inside the reactor. Low freq can induce phonons, highest freq can be achieved with square waves but their amplitude will fall off quickly if not superwaves...

2. Inner spark, like a spark Plug. Also work as an antenna for RF. How to optimize for different freqs?

3. Wire through fuel. The fuel is the wire.

4. Laser/THz through a window.

I guess at least three different constructions are needed for the whole parameter space.

• / * it's a CRT, cathode ray tube making a static electric field (is it static?) making H ions (I presume quartz tube holding a H athmosphere) shoot from one side against the other. Correct? * /

I think so, but the AC component may be also present here. That is to say, the pressure must be low in this reactor or the AC field should be also present. The discharge fills the whole diameter of reactor, which is typical for high frequency discharges due to skineffect - otherwise would shrink into a filament at higher pressure - the thinner, the higher the pressure is. Common cheap/improvised voltage sources have such a component because the element rising the voltage is usually a common transformer.

• LENR experiments may prove that the Grand Unification theories are way off in magnitude at predicting when the fundamental forces will merge. Experiment might show that they merge far sooner.

• /* LENR experiments may prove that the Grand Unification theories are way off in magnitude at predicting when the fundamental forces will merge */

I don't see any logic/physical motivation behind this claim. I don't perceive the LENR as a tool for falsification of Standard Model of nuclear forces, but for its fulfilling at localized scope.

• merging_forces.gif

LENR experiments may prove that the Grand Unification theories are way off in magnitude at predicting when the fundamental forces will merge. Experiment might show that they merge far sooner.

How? You know, that LENR means LOW energy ( nuclear reactions) ? I think, You do.

But do You know the meaning of the word LOW, dude? , let me make it clear: an L then an O then an W.

Here, You can have a look.

http://www.dict.cc/?s=low

In fact You are describing the perfect argument, why Your statement is nonsense in itself.

• Official Post

LENR is not enough understood to even support standard model is to be changed.
    Standard model let much room for unexpected collective effects, non-linear effects,...

Maybe it is too early to speculate on refounding QM ?
    Ok, I agree I'm influenced by Ed Storm (preliminary) theory.

• "Low" in this context has always implied low energy / low temperature / low pressure of initiation / activation. The term is relative of course since we are well above absolute zero. There is lots of room when compared with the paradigms of "high", say the core of a star such as our Sun at 15 million K and over 250 billion atmospheres, or a "hohlraum" imploded in an NIF shot at "1 to 2 million" K and the "equivalent" of 300 billion atmospheres, or a themonuclear weapon detonation at or over 10s of million K... and reported pressures of a billion atmospheres or more.

The outputs relative to input energy in LENR / CF have been reportedly or anecdotally remarkably high in a few cases, considering the helium / heat paradigm. Note that "low" in LENR cannot refer to the enthalpic yield. It is generally (if it works) considered to be similar or identical to the HF versions, that is identical reactants and identical products. Often very distinct-from-HF reaction paths are implied by the measurement (or absence) of accompanying radiation and particle fluxes.

• LENR experiments may prove that the Grand Unification theories are way off ..

Up to this word your reasoning is ok. But with simple guessing we don't get a new theory.

The main problem is that physicians are used/educated to measure time bound events. But for understanding the basic behavior of matter time is of no direct value! A new way to think about space must be searched. I personally think that the basic structure of ether/space leaves a pattern which can be recognized.

• How RF would penetrate the little crooks and nannies in the Nickel lattice is however beyong my powers of speculation.

That is probably already answered for Alan. But, in fact the skin effect on a conductor / dielectric or conductor / vacuum interface guarantees that any radio frequency can transit along such an interface. Since many LENR phenomena are considered to be surface constrained or surface generated, there is no problem and in fact a distinct advantage in terms of energy / power density for activation of such reactions. Of course going orthogonally through a metal or other conductor is confined to window of transmission, which are typically not available from DC to THz, since that is essentially a classical Faraday screen. But even there, a waveguide or stripline can be terminated into a cavity. See John C. Slater (famous polymath also for Condensed Matter theoretics and semiconductor physics as well) in his "Microwave Electronics" Van Nostrand 1950, Dover reprints ongoing, especially chapters 5 through 9..

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.