Judge ALTONAGA quotes ERV reports in her ‘background’ summary.

• 42cl per second of water is easy to move.
    however 700 litters per seconds of steam at 1Bar absolute is quite a challenge.

As I said Alain: The driving force is the vacuum which is close to zero pressure at the condensation site (rememember water T 60 C!) . But the surface where the condensation happens must be big enough. We know nothing about it. The whole system is far away to be critical in any respect. Problems would only then occur, if the steam speed would go up, close to half the sound speed!

Let's have fun with the brilliant mixture of IH & Rossi. Hollywood will make a great movie, some time soon, I believe...

Rossi is a master of unclear language, in fact. And he commonly states intention or possibility as if it were a realized fact. Lots of people do this, by the way.

Maybe politicians. In scientists or technologists, it's one of the hallmarks of scammers and con men. The defense by IH to Rossi's suit will be either failure to perform or fraud, depending on what their experts say and what documentation they have.

• Official Post

Shallow thinkers imagine that language has one fixed meaning. And then if other meanings are pointed out, they think they are prevarication or pedantry

I agree with you there Abd. Those shallow thinkers are easy to spot too, as they are unable to express their thoughts succinctly. Resorting instead to verbosity to make their point. I have seen some take 8 paragraphs just to say "yes". ;)

• Evidence is normally quite extensive and transferred between parties during discovery. The judge very well can see evidence that is not in the public record. Most evidence is never available online simply because of the volume of it and it's not digital.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

From boiler definition:

under pressure or vacuum, for use external to itself

0.0 bar is neither pressure not vacuum, Dewey Mary and Jed (and others) claim the 'pretend customer' never 'used' the heated water or steam as there was no evidence (no heat from the vent) so on just two critical counts (1) it was not under vacuum or pressure and (2) the heated water (steam) was never 'used' external to itself.

So now we have confirmation it was NOT a boiler.

Best regards
    Frank

• Official Post

0.0 as i understand is just a code for "not disclosed" as I understand from Jed&al.
    0 abs+/-epsilon, is incompatible with Rossi's claims and test setup (it is not a low pressure water circuit), and 0.0 relative is also impossible with atmospheric pressure (water viscosity imply pressure, and steam expansion and viscosity even more). anyway there was a real number in the initial report according to Jed/Dewey&al, and this change alone should raise red alert.

I don't understand how the usage of heat change the boiler nature of the device.
    There is heated water/fluid liquid and/or vapor... it is a boiler.
    It can be a useful boiler, or just a theater boiler, but unless water/steam is not heated it is a boiler.
    It can be an electric boiler, or an LENR boiler.
    I hope the later but fear the former.

If the test was well made I would not have to hope or fear, but just to read.

• AlainCo

You may be right. But the status quo is there is no formal challenge to this. Where there is a formal challenge it will take the form of a complaint to the Fire Chief who has responsibility for enforcing this legislation. He will then inspect the plant and make a decision on what action to take. Until this formal process takes place all this is conjecture and speculation and more importantly the 'status quo' applies, that is if Rossi himself has considered the application of the boiler regs and decided they do not apply then they do not apply, until, as I have said, this is formally challenged.

Best regards
    Frank

• Official Post

Possible.
    But even if you are optimistic, the lack of clear test, with clear client, with IH having access to client resort, the continuous presence of rossi to watch the baby, reduce the credibility of any result obtained.

It is years since we all know what undermine the credibility of a LENR reactor test, and thus how to make a good one. Too long we have tolerated what we should not. IH have invested 10.5Mn$ in this kind of unconvincing theater, and they have nothing to show today.

In fact they may have more, hopefully, as there are real scientist on earth, and some working on LENR, and some with IH. I wait for their public reports... when ?

• AlainCo

I agree, the lack of clear test for this and many other LENR related developments is tending towards a credibility gap. But a test to determine whether the reactor is a 'boiler' or not is only of interest to those who would like to see Rossi prosecuted for not following Florida Boiler Laws.

Many of us are content with the concept of LENR being a real scientifically proven 'phenomena' but have difficulty with some of the 'science' 'theory' and 'individual claims' (Rossi's being an example). This against the background of 'Pons and Fleishmann' and the funding conflict with 'Hot Fusion' and now the 'disruptive technology' label that LENR clearly represents, reinforces the mantra: 'incredible claims require incredible evidence'. It does not take a great deal of imagination to conclude this is exploited by the skeptics and whilst this can be a good thing in the discovery process, a real outcome may well be that Cold Fusion is vanquished to histories trash can. Given the science available to us at this present time, this would be unfortunate.

Another scenario could be that Rossi, and his invention fails these many tests and that Cold Fusion (aka LENR) goes down with him, in a repeat of the Pons and Fleishmann debacle.

Best regards
    Frank

• But a test to determine whether the reactor is a 'boiler' or not is only of interest to those who would like to see Rossi prosecuted for not following Florida Boiler Laws.

No one here would like to see that. That would be absurd. There is no harm in running a 20 kW electric boiler, and no reason why Rossi should be prosecuted for it. The subject only came up because Rossi implied that he got permission. He did not.

The reactor is a boiler according the dictionary definition of that word, and the definition used in Florida laws, ASME books, and by every HVAC engineer. You have your own definition of this word which you imagine is correct, and you think the entire rest of the world is mistaken. That's not how language works.

• Official Post

LENR is multiply replicated with no rational theories that could explain those replication.
    Of course some experiments are wrong, and even some replicating good one, but there is a real phenomenon behind. Once understood , sure it will be harnessed as an energy source.

I have evolved in that I am more and more convinced that we need a theory.
    As Edmund Storms says, a theory is required to make good experiments, to make interesting test, to measure important parameters, to control key factors, to decide what is a replication, what is a failure, a null, a success, a negative.
    And as JF Geneste said in Milan, without a theory, even phenomenological, no engineer can improve a device, and thus make an industry emerge.

For me, it is time to go back to the lab, and provide the theorists with good and reproduced experiments.

• I have evolved in that I am more and more convinced that we need a theory.
    As Edmund Storms says, a theory is required to make good experiments, to make interesting test, to measure important parameters, to control key factors, to decide what is a replication, what is a failure, a null, a success, a negative.
    And as JF Geneste said in Milan, without a theory, even phenomenological, no engineer can improve a device, and thus make an industry emerge.

That is indeed Storms' view, but the problem is almost certainly that there is no truly useful theory of mechanism on the level that Storms is proposing. There are useful "partial theories."

Further, it is entirely possible that the correct theory, proposed in advance of evidence to confirm it, will simply attract knee-jerk skepticism. Yes, an operating theory is highly useful for experimentation, but Storms goes too far. He suggests an "explanation" that is, so far, divorced from what actually affects experimental results. And his explanation will appear, to any nuclear physicist, impossible. And my guess is that it is, in fact, impossible. He is putting the cart before the horse.

mmm... haven't we gotten far off topic? Forum discussions become inaccessible and far less useful because of our common habits of spinning off.

The horse is experimental evidence, and to get that evidence we must convince those with funding and access to resources.

So, back up. What do we know? I submitted my paper to Current Science last year to detail what we actually know, what is confirmed and solid. It is enough to establish that the effect is real.

So we have a real effect. First of all, how do we create the effect? Storms "Explanation" actually covers a great deal that is either not controversial or that is very reasonable inference.

For example, he suggests that the effect takes place at the surface of metal hydrides, not in the bulk. That can guide experiment.

He suggests that the high loading previously thought necessary for the reaction is actually the cause of surface cracking, through stress, and that this creates what he calls Nuclear Active Environment, and he specifies that as cracks.

This is controversial in the field, but is probably verifiable. Certainly "surface reaction" is reasonably well-established from where helium is found, and I expect the Texas Tech/ENEA collaboration to come up with improved evidence on that. They will certainly be testing it.

I suggested to Ed that he "black box" the reaction itself, because we know so little about it. The black box has known behavior. Heat/helium. No charged particle radiation above 20 KeV. With pure PdD, very little tritium, if at all. No neutrons except perhaps under some conditions and at very low levels.

Storms suggests that the ash depends on the H/D ratio. I find that the experimental evidence is weak, and at least partially contradicts his claim. But, again, this is something that can and should be tested, but it doesn't help with the primary necessity at this point: learning how to control the reaction, so that experimental collection of data on the reaction can accelerate.

Storms' theory suggests cracks, so methods of controlling cracking or what would be similar, the creation of similar structures through nanotechnology, can be employed. Storms has found in his own work, recently reported, that he can condition a cathode to generate excess heat, using the traditional method (repeated loading and deloading, and other steps and following certain material preconditions), he can remove the cathode and I think wash it with nitric acid, store it, and then load it and it starts generating heat immediately. This would be consistent with his crack theory, and it has major practical implications.

He also ran an experiment where he obtained excess heat in a cell maintained at higher than ordinary temperature by an internal and separate heater. He then turned off the electrolytic current, but maintained the cell temperature. In that experiment, the apparent XP continued for many hours without reduction, whereas loading would decline rapidly without electrolysis maintaining it.

If this is confirmed, it is revolutionary.

No theory of actual mechanism (i.e., what happens in those cracks, his hydroton theory and the idea of pre-fusion radiation of energy, which requires sustained below-ground nuclear states) is necessary to develop an understanding of how to create and control the reaction.

So the "Lomax theory" is that cold fusion is a fact but also a mystery. I expect to be proven wrong some day. Just not yet.

(This requires that "cold fusion" be understood as possibly not involving "fusion reactions" as normally understood. Yet it does appear likely that deuterium is being converted to helium, which is a fusion effect (result) regardless of specific mechanism. It does not mean "d-d fusion" though it could include that.)

• Jed

My safety law background was spent predominantly in the fire service, later travelling the world visiting fire departments and yes the Fire Chief in Orlando on 6th June 2007 .

The Fire Chief will have 'discretion' in the application of law and will make his decision on a technical appraisal and risk analysis. Even if technically, the device appears to be a 'boiler' he/she will have the last say. So until that has happened (and it may well have occurred) none of us know for sure what the designation of the E-cat is.

Rossi may have made a phone call to the Fire Chief who could have decided not to pursue registration, we may never know.

Best regards
    Frank

• Official Post

About theory and Ed Storms, I take his vision that theory, or at least a framework, guide how you design and analyse experiments.
    The framework need not be complete, but when this framework is wrong, the effect is that the experiments are failing, not replicable, falsely seen as negative, parameters are not considered, and effects are not observed.

I have understood that about the EmDrive controversy.

Recently soemone made an Emdrive and measured the thrust which was not obsrvable. according to sShawyers theory it should be observable. Then McCulloch used his model and stated it was tiny, inside the uncertainty of the measurement.
    A similar point was with Nasa test involving Fetta's device, the Cannae Drive. They removed a key structure (some indent) and trust was unmodified. people said it was a failure of EmDrive... Shawyer came and said that indent have no importance, and that the Cannae drive is an unefficient Emdrive...

Positive , negative, and replication, is only relative to some kind of framework, of theory framework.

However, yes, theory don't need to be definitive, and just a framework is enough, if not just some key ideas.

• Rossi may have made a phone call to the Fire Chief who could have decided not to pursue registration, we may never know.

The term in Florida is Fire Marshal, the state official responsible for registration. Yes, that is possible and is a version of what I wrote, that Rossi may have decided (or found) that registration was not necessary. There were aspects of the regulations that I found unclear, where research did not clear the matter up.

As I have pointed out many times, the issue largely moot. However, I am interesting in social process and information cascades and how they start. In order to defend against the idea that Rossi Did Something Wrong, it was asserted that the ECat was not a boiler. That' was preposterous, and no way would the Fire Marshal have ruled like that. There would be a record of some correspondence and that could be obtained, so, if it mattered, this could actually be investigated, but who is going to bother?

For all I know, Rossi may also have spat on the sidewalk and crossed the street illegally, and who cares? Rossi is not actually on trial here for "moral turpitude" though some are trying to make allegations like that; for example, a moderator here has claimed I acted unethically in publishing a file I had received without obtaining permission from the apparent author. But people do this all the time. New Energy Times does it routinely. I am interested in what actually happened.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

Look the onus is in the owner of the boiler. If Rossi decided it was not a boiler then the responsibility lay on his shoulders until an inspection by the authorities proved otherwise or it exploded causing danger.

If Rossi called the Fire Chief and as a result of that call they both decided it was not a boiler then there may not be records. Imagine someone calling the Fire Chief and saying "I have a washing machine and my neighbour says I need to register it as a boiler, what shall I do?" The Fire Chief would not waste his time writing to him.

Best regards
    Frank

• Rossi may have made a phone call to the Fire Chief who could have decided not to pursue registration, we may never know.

We do know. It is common sense.

If Rossi sincerely thought the machine was producing 1 MW, and he told that to anyone in the government of Florida, I am 100% certain they would inspect it and license it. That is a tremendous amount of heat. Any boiler over 117 kW has to be inspected.

If Rossi told anyone it is a nuclear reactor that works by unknown principles, they would have sent a few dozen police cars, evacuated the neighborhood, and called in a bomb squad to take it away. No sane public official would allow an untested 1 MW nuclear reactor anywhere near a populated area.

Therefore I conclude that if Rossi told anyone in the Florida government anything, it must have been the truth. He must have told them "this is a 20 kW electric boiler."

If Rossi called the Fire Chief and as a result of that call they both decided it was not a boiler then there may not be records.

The Fire Chief would never decide it is not a boiler because it is a boiler. He might decide it is only 20 kW and therefore it does not need to be inspected. Unlike you, the Fire Chief knows standard English technical terminology and he would not make up new meanings for existing words. He would not pretend that a water heater is not a boiler.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.