Robert E Godes: why Cold Fusion is so opposed by physicists

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

But you are listening and engaging, should we read anything into that? Would you categorise yourself as a pseudoskeptic?

OMG, got me there!

Of course, I meant something else, and pseudoskeptics and inhabitants of Planet Rossi (same coin, flip sides) focus on fluff, ignoring substance.

I do listen to Shanahan and have, for years, attempted to understand his arguments. Some of them are pretty wild! Kirk got stuck in anti-cold fusion rhetoric on the internet, back in the 1990s, and later was able even to get some funding from his employer to investigate the possibility of cold fusion causing accidents in that huge facility for enriching uranium (Forget about it! Not going to happen! We could have told him that!), and he later was published in several journal articles. He is thus way ahead of the general pseudoskeptical field, pushing into genuine skeptical territory. He is the last published scientific skeptic. But he has mostly lost it, he's been reduced to complaining that nobody is listening to him, journals are rejecting his work, and here we can see how he insists on his own errors.

I have invited Kirk to participate in improving the cold fusion resource on Wikiversity. Declined. I have criticized his work on newvortex and he was invited to respond (in fact, I warned him before I wrote all that, and he rejected it with an accusation that I was simply a stubborn believer.) Declined. Here, he says he "doesn't do newvortex." Does that mean he doesn't read it (in context, that seems to be the meaning) or he doesn't write (which is declining to have a direct conversation, his privilege, but ... nobody else is engaging).

His position is a dead end, as it stands.

Oh, by the way. Am I a pseudoskeptic? Sure. Sometimes. It is relatively easy to recognize if one looks. What was amazing to me was on moletrap, where a community almost entirely composed of pseudoskeptics -- but organized around an obvious scam, Steorn -- denied that pseudoskepticism exists. Pseudoskepticism always hides behind genuine skepticism, but the difference is obvious. Ah, the stories I could tell!

• /* but organized around an obvious scam, Steorn */

I don't think, that Steorn is scam, it's just a consequence of attempt for premature monetization of breakthrough findings. Actually Steorn didn't get a penny from its failures - it just returned all money to its customers and it bankrupted its investors and it trusted its own findings. Now we can just observe, how another subjects continue where the Steorn ended (1, 2, 3), as if nothing would ever happen. The large research basis for billions of dollars like ITER or NIF are way more problematic with respect to its investors.

• /* but organized around an obvious scam, Steorn */

I don't think, that Steorn is scam, it's just a consequence of attempt for premature monetization of breakthrough findings

Pucky. however, I should be clear. I am not claiming that Steorn defrauded anyone, in the legal sense. Have you ever seen these "Free Energy" ads? "Your electric utility will hate you." So you send in money to get a set of plans. "Money back guarantee"? How can you lose?

Let's assume the company honors the guarantee, and they actually do give your money back, though it usually isn't immediate. Sometimes these companies disappear and maybe you can complain to your credit card company and still get your money back, if you did not wait too long. But they know that many people just forget about it, if it isn't a lot of money. So they make money, and can make a *lot* of money, even if they have *absolutely nothing.*

With Steorn, they were claiming, indeed, a "breakthrough," something that, on the face, was a perpetual motion machine, defying the laws of physics. They were straightforward about that. It is not illegal to sell perpetual motion machines, if they are not misrepresented.

"Does this machine defy the laws of physics? Find out for yourself! A unique opportunity, only $99.95 while supplies last!" Oh, and money back guarantee if all materials are returned in as-received condition. "$8.95 shipping and handling not included in guarantee."

If a company like Steorn is clever, they can make quite a lot of money based on complete fluff, and legally. What are they actually selling? It could be marketing skill. They made a world-class splash. And they were selling some real products.

• The plot on page 8 of your reference illustrates a ratio of 32 MeV / 4He which would fit almost any conceivable helium producing reaction as I previously implied. To pretend that such inaccurate measurements correspond to 23.8 MeV is pure fantasy at this stage.

Underfund by nixing in review, suppress publication through editorial and consensual suppression, denigrate as error or unreliable, now claim "boring" (I will admit repetition, but I don't see Hermes copping to his former identity here). Quite a litany of themes. If any of physicists' earlier efforts here are to continue to be worthy of respectful consideration, I suggest you all return to what tends to give you all wide respect here.... including from me. Religation to the Hody patch is the eventual likely alternative.

• MIT Physicist Nixes Cold Fusion Funding

..."..However, a very famous physicist at MIT, who is involved in the energy program, found out what we were trying to do, and he cancelled the program. And he called up the vice president of the company and said some things that weren’t very polite about the research. And not only did the funding not come and the experiments didn’t happen, but my colleagues at the company were very worried about where they’re going to work next. As you
    know, there are unemployment issues currently in our bad economy, so there’s a fundamental difficulty with respect to getting support for the experiments, and what that means is that the science can be expected to go very slowly for these reasons, until a solution is found to this problem
    ..."

This "very famous physicist" was Ernest Moniz, now the head of energetic politics of the USA, most powerful country in the world. Not surprisingly the situation with cold fusion research by now is as it is...

• The tip off that they are scammers, if you followed Steorn, was that the president and CEO lied repeatedly. For example:

- it always works all the time (yet all demos failed... MISERABLY and were laughable)

- it self runs (the demo at Waterways used a huge battery to run it)

- multiple universities proved the concept (never named in six years)

- we made a 550W motor we keep under the stairwell (never seen)

- we can get 0.5W/cc power density (never shown)

- the world's two largest heater companies bought Hephaheat rights and will market the product (never happened)

... and then there was the renown jury that Steorn put together which was never given any evidence or device that showed it works.

Everything the man said was a lie. Basically, just like Defkalion's Hadjichristos (7 of the world largest companies tested Hyperion) and of course Rossi (we all know all his lies).

• Hermes wrote:
    but I suspect that any attempt to do so without contamination by ambient helium would be exceedingly difficult.

You are wrong. It is not difficult with modern instruments at places like the NRL or the ENEA. Nor is it difficult to capture the helium after dissolving the cathode in acid, which has also been done. Since melting or dissolving shows no significant helium in some samples before the experiment, and significant helium in samples from after tests that produce excess heat, I do not see how you can claim it is "difficult" or unreliable.

Helium work is difficult. It's inappropriate to deny that. However, "exceedingly difficult" is an exaggeration. Key to this work is control experiments. It is impossible to do helium work without "contamination," because helium is present in very pure nitrogen gas, as used by Miles to flush his cells. His background -- from that nitrogen contamination -- was very roughly half of his measurements, so then we would look at the precision of his measurements, was it adequate to distinguish de novo helium from background (Yes.) Did he do control experiments? (Yes.)

Most of all, when studies attempted to confirm his work with increased precision, did the effect disappear? (No. It became stronger.)

Violante made no attempt to exclude atmospheric helium, so he measured elevation above ambient. Ambient is quite high and his heat measurements were not high, though quite significant (two of them), and still significant, but weak (one of them). How did he pull this off? I have not questioned Violante in detail, but it appears that he must have had a small headspace, so that a little helium released could make a large impact on helium levels.

Jed, here, overstates the case, my opinion. It's easy to do. Hermes responds (later) with incredulity, I'll examine that.

No, the measured ratios show that the helium is close to the expected ratio for D+D => He4, as shown on p. 8 here:

lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Hagelsteinnewphysica.pdf

"Close" is not a precise term. The skeptic Huizenga (1993) thought that being within an order of magnitude of that ratio was amazing. Later, the measurements became more precise, tightening it up. It should be understood that most helium measurements did not attempt to measure retaining helium, only helium in the outgas, so it would be expected, if there is retained helium, that the ratio found for energy/4He woud be higher than the actual value. Two experiments, though, as part of a process used, among other things, to stimulate loading, used reverse electrolysis, which will strip the surface layer, and these two experiments both found the expected value within experimental error, 10% as stated by McKubre and 20% as my rough estimate of the Violante value.

It is even closer when you account for helium left in the metal, which you do by melting or dissolving the metal, as I said.

That is correct. There is little data on this, but what there is confirms that there is retained helium that is released if metal is melted (Morrey et al, 1990) or dissolved (SRI M4, 1990s, Apicella et al (2005). I suggested dissolving with acid, some years back, not realizing at that point that anodic erosion did the trick, easily and simply.

Bloggers do not "see an astonishing coincidence." The scientists who performed the experiments, Mile, McKubre, Gozzi and others, all claim that the ratio is 23.8 MeV per D+D reaction.

Miles. No. McKubre, in particular, claims that the ratio found is "consistent with" that ratio. His measurement -- a single measurement -- is the most precise to date (10% is his estimate). Krivit has heavily attacked that work, hammer and tongs. There are problems, and this is another reason why the project to confirm this again is so important. Not only will the release ratio be measured, but also retained helium will be released with anodic erosion (and I do suspect that they will do at least a few whole-cathode analyses, to look for any remainder.)

Because *no other ash has been measured and confirmed" the default understanding in the field, with few exceptions, is that the FP reaction produces helium and releases energy at the ratio expected from deuterium conversion to helium. This is often stated as "d-d fusion," but, in fact, simple d-d fusion would not produce that ratio, far from it (that reaction is well understood and generates very little helium, and then the energy when helium is formed is dumped as a hot gamma, which is not observed. Much less heat would end up in the cell.

To come up with the theoretical value requires that there be no other significant products at levels high enough to affect the ratio, and no energy leakage through radiation, such as neutrinos or exotics.

Jed exaggerated the situation, then. Jed is not a scientist, he is a technical writer (like me, by the way, though I have a stronger science focus, perhaps), and Jed often writes polemic that is not conservative. Then a skeptic comes along and skewers what he writes, even though what he writes is, in substance, not misleading, just a bit outside what has been nailed. Then there is Hermes' response to Jed:

[quote='Hermes','https://www.lenr-forum.com/forum/index.php/Thread/3501-Robert-E-Godes-why-Cold-Fusion-is-so-opposed-by-physicists/?postID=30154#post30154'] (Answered below)

• This is like much cold fusion work. It cries out for confirmation. But nobody was able to confirm Case. There were issues with the original batch of catalyst being lost, accidentally discarded.

When I write about the heat/helium correlation being confirmed, there is a large body of work involved. Much of it can be criticized in one way or another. However, I find the preponderance of the evidence clear, and certainly clear enough to warrant redoing the work with increased precision. It is obvious to me that this is long overdue. The DoE in 1989 took a "not proven" stance that actually recommended further research and modest funding and interpreted it as "rejected, bogus, not worthy of funding" result, and that repeated to some degree in 2004, where the panel was far more favorable to cold fusion than in 1989.

In any case, it is happening, and it will be published, I'm confident. Where it is published will be up to the journals, but I do suspect that this might be submitted to Nature. If this work is done properly, it will be "extraordinary evidence." On the other hand, people in the field largely detest Nature for what they did (which is all well-known and documented) ... so I can't be sure.

What will the ratio be? Indications are that it will settle near 23.8 MeV, and I say that because there simply is no other candidate for the reaction product at levels that would make any difference. However, this is experimental work, and the results are the results, and my own efforts will encourage them to publish all results and not just select the "good ones." Publish the mistakes! Let it all hang out. (But a paper will not publish everything, that's usually impossible. Make all the data available, and that has become more common in some fields, with supplemental data available on-line for the curious and skeptical.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax

Am I a pseudoskeptic? Sure. Sometimes.

Psychiatrist Richard Kluft noted that pseudoskepticism can inhibit research progress:

".. today genuine skepticism of the benign sort that looks evenly in all directions and encourages the advancement of knowledge seems vanishingly rare. Instead, we find a prevalence of pseudo-skepticism consisting of harsh and invidious skepticism toward one's opponents' points of view and observations, and egregious self-congratulatory confirmatory bias toward one's own stances and findings misrepresented as the earnest and dispassionate pursuit of clinical, scholarly, and scientific truth.

What a surprise!!

But please let us know when, for sure, you are being a proper objective skeptic, then I think your articles and feature stories will be worth reading

Best regards
    Frank

• Official Post

Interesting comment re the 'gas loaded coconut charcoal' experiment Abd. I understand that there has been little published, but worth mentioning that I discussed with Mi ke McKubre at ICCF-19 the accident discovery of a strong LENR effect by my lab co-worker when performing a totally unrelated electrolysis experiment using light water/sodium carbonate electrolyte in a tank packed -between the electrodes -with coconut shell carbon.
    The signal was violent and unpredictable, but only occurred (when it did) after very long periods of exposure to low current.

McKubre seemed to be very interested, but didn't tell me of his own similar work. I would be interested to learn more about this if you have a link.

Why do we think this was LENR-related? There was beta radiation and 'heat after death' which began with sudden temperature spikes that usually resulted in the destruction of the tank. But as I mentioned, the phenomenon is unpredictable and destructive, so we gave up working with it after awhile. Doping the electrolyte with D2O at low levels, or adding various potential trigger materials to the electrolyte seemed not to make any difference to the reproducibility, and about 2 out of three long loading runs (200hrs+) never worked. In the end we gave up, since we had other and more tractable fish to fry.

The picture attached is of one of the electrodes, which was hertofore a pristine sheet of lead, showing 'shotgun holes' where the material appears to have melted -there is also a microphotograph showing the same effect- which strangely only affected the anodes.

• Herme: "Claiming compatibility with 23.8 MeV is another story ... of wishful thinking."

Appalling ad hominem argument, standard among pseudoskeptics. Results and conclusions are from wishful thinking.

Not an ad hom; it's simply Hermes calling a spade a spade. And I couldn't agree with him more. You and Jed are taking results that, if you squint your eyes, are vaguely suggestive of a Q/4He value consistent with fusion of deuterium, and making it out to be more than that, and making out the consensus among LENR scientists to be in agreement with you.

• For example:

- it always works all the time
    - it self runs
    - multiple universities proved the concept
    - we made a 550W motor we keep under the stairwell
    - we can get 0.5W/cc power density
    - the world's two largest heater companies bought Hephaheat rights

You already said here many things, but I never saw a single line of evidence from you.
    So I'd expect six links by now as an evidence - or it's just twaddling against twaddling.

Otherwise the first claims don't differ from promises, under which the ITER, NIF and another projects are built.
    Yes, we were taught, that the hot fusion is self running and it works all the time - but did something like this actually ever happen?

• It is surely one of the greater ironies. Nobody is listening to Shanahan except occasionally some pseudoskeptics on the internet. The cold fusion scientsts are so unfair! They won't listen! They won't test my ideas! and I can't even get published in the journals any more!

That's right, Kirk, to the scientists in the field, you are not worth the time of day. Your ideas became increasingly Rube Goldberg. But I'm getting bored with this myself. Good luck. What's good to each around the Savannah River? Enjoy it!

Devolving to name calling again I see Abd.

pseu·do ˈso͞odō/adjective - not genuine; sham. Other equivalent adjectives: :bogus, phony, artificial, mock, ersatz, quasi-,fake, false, spurious, deceptive, misleading, assumed, contrived, affected, insincere...Therefore pseudoskeptic = sham skeptic, and pseudoscientist = sham scientist. I would imagine that anyone who thinks they are making sound comments would be offended at the connection to 'pseudo'. So I guess the point would be to show that one is not bogus...

Fact 1: My reanalysis of the Storms' data that he claims shows cold fusion excess heat zeros out that purported excess heat with trivial (+/-3% total width) changes to calibration constants. No one has ever contested that. In fact Storms reported different calibration constants for the cell when using a Joule heater vs. using the electrolysis power, and a small change in calibration constants for the electrolytic calibration between the before and after time period. The simple mathematical fact is that if you use a different calibration constant on the same data you will get a different answer. I quantified this for the Storms data, i.e. I evaluated the size of the error bars. I found they were as big as the signal.

Conclusion 1: Error bars need to be computed so that whether or not a signal exceeds them by an appropriate amount can be determined.

No one has ever done this but me. Does that make me a 'pseudo-'? No, it doesn't.

Fact #2. I proposed a mechanism that I think describes the largest part of the experimental data. This mechanism has received criticism. I have responded to the criticism with counter-arguments negating them.

Conclusion #2. Opponents of the proposed mechanism have not presented a valid criticism. In fact, they have resorted to logical fallacies and claims that they have invalidated the mechanism, which is not true.

So, does noting invalid argumentation and incorrect assertions make me a 'pseudo-'. Nope.

Fact #3. As noted, I have had some submissions rejected for odd or unstated reasons.

Conclusion #3. It doesn't matter if you are pro- or anti-, the mainstream doesn't want to carry on a discussion.

So, does that make me a 'pseudo-'. Nope.

Fact #4. No cold fusion researcher (CFer) has reported their error bars arising from calibration variation, or tested the extent to which their constants would need to change to zero out their reported 'excess heat' signals. I have noted this many times. This, and the fact of the use of strawman arguments noted above, indicates the CFers are unwilling to consider 'mundane' alternatives.

Conclusion #4. CFers are biased beyond what is normally considered acceptable. They force fit their results to predetermined conclusions.

Does this make them 'pseudo-' ? Yes.

So, overall conclusion: CFers are biased pseudoscientitsts who force their results to support 'LENR' and refuse to fairly address criticisms that they recognize would lead to a different (non-nuclear) conclusion.
    In science, excessive bias and pre-derived conclusions are not acceptable.

Lesser conclusion #5. Abd resorts to derogatory techniques, rather than hard scientific analysis, when faced with a serious challenge to his preformed conclusions regarding 'LENR'.

In light of #5, I want to briefly continue the ongoing heat-helium discussion. Abd is right, I confirm that Miles, et al have published that they use a 'time' of 4440 seconds. This means in general that their He atoms/W-sec values are not directly calculatable from their published He atoms/500 cc and the supposedly associated excess heats (in watts). Try it yourself. Correct the He atoms/500 cc for background, divide by the XP watts and then by 4440. You won't get what they publish as the He atoms/W-sec all the time. In a few cases yes, you do, but not in most. That means I have no idea what their numbers mean. They somehow are manipulating data without explaining what they do. This is tantamount to saying "Trust me, I'm the expert." But no can do. Since I have no idea what they are doing, I am done. Good thing since I have some work I need to do and won't be around much any longer.

• Zephir some trivia on Eernest Moniz.
    [ "This "very famous physicist" was Ernest Moniz, now the head of energetic politics of the USA" ]

He at one time was one of the designated survivors for the US. In line to be the president he had a duplicate nuclear football, and had Secret Service protection equaling the presidents.

• I do listen to Shanahan and have, for years, attempted to understand his arguments. Some of them are pretty wild! Kirk got stuck in anti-cold fusion rhetoric on the internet, back in the 1990s, and later was able even to get some funding from his employer to investigate the possibility of cold fusion causing accidents in that huge facility for enriching uranium (Forget about it! Not going to happen! We could have told him that!), and he later was published in several journal articles. He is thus way ahead of the general pseudoskeptical field, pushing into genuine skeptical territory. He is the last published scientific skeptic. But he has mostly lost it, he's been reduced to complaining that nobody is listening to him, journals are rejecting his work, and here we can see how he insists on his own errors.

You may 'listen' but you don't 'hear' and clearly don't understand.

Addressing some specifics:

"stuck in anti-cold fusion rhetoric" - "rhet·o·ric redərik/noun the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques."

Thanks! I was hoping....oh, wait a sec. I assume you mean this definition: "language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content."

Well...I am sincere, and my content is meaningful if you don't already have contrary predefined conclusions, so I don't think I got 'stuck' in any 'rhetoric'.

"was able even to get some funding from his employer to investigate" - nope. As part of my job, to evaluate the potential of a safety problem, I study the CFers' claims and sometimes write up my results. No funds allocated for that other than my salary, which I earn not by looking into CF, but by getting job assignments and completing them satisfactorily.

"that huge facility for enriching uranium" - Nope, that's not what we do anymore. Used to a little, ended when we won the cold war back in like 1991 or 2 I think, Y12 and Oak Ridge did more I think...maybe not tho...not my area. I have noted that I work in a group that supports the tritium purification facilities, specifically using metal hydrides like Pd and others.

"he later was published in several journal articles" - Yup. If you want to see, go to Google Scholar and search on my name. There's a few papers that show up that weren't mine, but the bulk of what I've written is there.

"But he has mostly lost it, he's been reduced to complaining... " Actually I just try to answer questions. If you track back on this forum, I was initially answering a question posed by Marjoanna (I think). One thing led to another...but I'm basically gone now. Sorry to cloud your thinking with facts.

"insists on his own errors." - One of your more telling comments. Shows a complete lack of understanding, which of course I already knew about and which made me aware of the futility of arguing with you. Most of what I do is aimed at educating others, especially those who seem uninformed.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.