Rossi on the Challenges of Developing E-Cat Plants

• Why should I stop? I have information. I have described it in some detail. Far more detail than Rossi ever has. If you don't believe me, don't read my messages, or ask Rossi for data.

This behavior is irrational! With the level of Your accusations, all persons (IH included) playing the game, should have been arrested since a long time ago...

I personally never believe anybody something he is telling for/against Rossi. But I'm regularly pointing to lies, which play on the same AR- level...

Clear thinking persons should not walk down the gully, even if it is well payed...

• I admit, you are in a comfy position right now being able to make your claims of fraud based on "secret" information to which we outsiders are not privy.

It isn't secret! It is in I.H.'s Motion to Dismiss, which is a public document. It better be truthful or they will get in trouble. There is no detail, but the statement is explicit: "the measurements were flawed and the instruments unsuitable." I told you specifically that the flow meter was flawed. So were other instruments. I told you the data itself was flawed, with 0.0 bar replacing the real numbers. There was much else wrong with the data.

If you do not believe I.H.'s statements in their Motion, and you do not believe me about the flow meter and the pressure, you must ask Rossi for information. There is no way I can prove I am telling the truth. If I upload a document you (or someone else) can dismiss it by saying I faked it. I have given you as much proof as I can. Rossi has given you NOTHING. You have no reason to believe him.

As for the pretend customer site, you can look at the old Google image of the roof. I have not seen the roof, but I gather it has not changed. I guess you can get a drone and check. There is no ventilation equipment up there capable of handling 1 MW of heat, and IR cameras did not detect anything like that when the machine was in operation. I told you that already, so it is not secret and you are as privy to it as I am. Again, if you don't believe it, ask Rossi. Better yet, ask his lawyer. Ask him for specific information on the ventilation. Good luck with that!

• It isn't secret! It is in I.H.'s Motion to Dismiss, which is a public document. It better be truthful or they will get in trouble. There is no detail, but the statement is explicit: "the measurements were flawed and the instruments unsuitable." I told you specifically that the flow meter was flawed. So were other instruments. I told you the data itself was flawed, with 0.0 bar replacing the real numbers. There was much else wrong with the data.

I'd be careful. This was dicta in the Motion, and, no, it could be total BS and they would not "get in trouble." Yes, it was a public document, so they wanted, I suspect, to toss in a little damage control, otherwise it would look like they were only making silly technical arguments.

(The "penalty" for "total BS" in a motion is that it might set the judge off, which is not a good idea.... but that would be harmless, even if wrong. And, of course, it may not be wrong.)

The IH Answer is due August 2, one week. That is where the fireworks might start going off.

• Taking your characterization of Rossi's trying to fool people at face value, he was quite successful in fooling IH sufficiently that IH would induce investors to infuse the company with tens of millions of dollars. And he was also quite successful in fooling the ERV with a career of achievements on the line to write a report showing a COP of 50. And hundreds if not thousands of outside observers. Seems like he has fooled quite a few observers. If you believe in the fooling / fraudster theory.

The possibility of insanity must remain on the table. We don't know what the ERV report says, we have only rumors on that. What "thousands of outside observers"? Magicians run magic tricks with millions of viewers. It means nothing. We do not know that IH was "fooled." All we know is that they did invest $11.5 million, plus expenses. See below.

But way [why] didn't IH say something before Rossi sued IH? What did IH intend to accomplish in the face of that scam? Please tell us what the end game of IH was exclusive of Rossi's lawsuit. This behavior of IH does not seem to be natural.

I came up with a theory of IH strategy that is rather different from what most imagine. Back up.

By the end of 2011, it was obvious that Rossi was not about to allow any independent testing. He had been acting to prevent that since before 2011. Anyone who did due diligence for a major investment, with access to resources like IH had, would have known this. So why did they not insist on an independent test?

The answer is obvious. Rossi would have immediately stopped talking with them, he had done this many times, walked away from serious investors -- or governmental agencies -- with deep pockets. IH, observing the state of the field in 2012, realized that it was essential to answer the Rossi Question, not just guess. Investment in normal LENR research would seem foolish if devices are about to show up at Home Depot next year. Rossi had said he would sell the secret for $100 million.

So they offered him $100 million! We do not know the genesis of the Agreement. It is obvious that much of it was written by Rossi, though, it's written by a "smart amateur," with all the mistakes that an amateur might make. And IH's position was, "whatever you say, Andrea, just show us how to make devices." It must have become obvious that something was off by the end of 2014. By then, they knew that the Lugano test was punk. They had run their own tests, and the devices just didn't work! From Dewey's comments, by 2015, Rossi was refusing to help. However, they would still hope that he might decide to show them the secret. However, by 2016, that hope became far too thin, and going ahead and raising $89 million for the payment was "beyond reason," without the IP, and they would have had to deceive investors to raise it.

Yet they still want the license, and there is an obvious reason: it is a hedge. It protects their other investments in LENR research from a Rossi surprise. So if Rossi really does come up with devices that work, they have the rights to them. On Planet Rossi, they imagine the licenses can be cancelled just on the Licensor's say-so. No. Unless that is provided in the Agreement, the license stands. The $89 million is a conditional payment, the license was created without it, and so it's a debt at most. If it's due, and there are possible reasons why it might not be due. It might not ever be due. (And then there is equity, and if IH were making money hand over fist on the IP, Rossi would have some solid equitable grounds to recover payment.)

And others think that Rossi could get around this by creating a different product. But if the new product is a evolution from the old (and it appears that Quark-X would be, if it is not just a fuzzy photo), the Agreement covers it.

It is clear to me that IH let Rossi know he was not going to get the $89 million. When they told him, I have no clear idea, but he filed the lawsuit the day *before* the payment would become past due. If he thought they might pay him, he would not have done that at all. In addition, it took time to prepare the suit. If their intention was to stiff him, they'd have employed delaying tactics, they would not have telegraphed their intentions to him. They might have said, "we need time to study the report." They might have said, "we need more time to raise the money." They might have said, "There is nobody here in the office who can respond to this issue, they are off on a project in Timbuktu and out of phone communication."

They were playing a tricky game. Their goal was for Rossi to reveal the "secret" to them. Had he done so, if the devices had actually worked, made according to his instructions, they would have been very happy to raise the $89 million even if there were possible problems with the 1 MW test. (Or, at least, they would have proposed some compomise.)

As it is, we do not know what communications existed between Rossi and IH (beyond Dewey's fragmented leaks). If they allowed the test to proceed under protest, for example, they estoppel argument might fail. The Test might be invalid.

Now, Axil thinks that IH behavior "did not seem to be natural." Damn straight it wasn't natural. Most people would immediately reject the idea of paying over $10 million to someone who looks like a scammer, and Rossi did look that way at that time. Mats Lewan points out that Rossi appeared to be deliberately creating that impression -- to discourage possible competition.

However, the IH plan worked, and worked well. As a result of their bold move, Woodford tossed in $50 million. On Planet Rossi, that is interpreted as Woodford being influenced by the successful 1 MW test, though that test had not been running long when Woodford invested. Woodford claimed to have been looking at LENR for years. They would have known that Rossi would be suspect. It makes complete sense to me.

IH established their credentials by putting up that $11.5 million. The Woodford money went into a new limited partnership organized in the U.K., where Woodford is located. If IH had deceived Woodford, failing to disclose concerns, they would be in very hot water.

And Rossi cannot touch that $50 million, and it's obvious. He's pissed! The snakes! And if Rossi does not teach IH how to make devices that work -- he still could, if he knows how -- and if IH can't get the money back from Rossi, IH goes bankrupt and, no, Rossi's attempts to pierce the corporate veil and go after Cherokee Partners will fail, the judge only allowed Cherokee to continue as a defendant based on Rossi's errors about Cherokee being the owner of IH. So if IH goes bankrupt, the investors have a tax loss. That is part of how limited partnerships work. And they have ownership in IH Holdings International, Lts., and I'm not going to attempt to fully disentangle that. Woodford was cool with it, obviously, so ... why should the rest of us complain?

The Answer is due August 2, that's in a week. Popcorn, anyone?

• I doubt the customer was "pretend," but I could be wrong. We have no hard evidence one way or the other

If you believe the people who visited the test, there is hard evidence:

* No one but Rossi was seen going in or out of the customer site.
    * There was no noise coming from the site. If there really was a machine using 1 MW of process heat, I am sure it would make some noise and it would require an operator.
    * No one answered the phone at the site.
    * There was no significant heat coming from the site roof vents. Based on my estimate, there is no way to remove the heat with water.

• Why would the heat need to be ventilated if the heat was being used in an endothermic chemical process (as has been apparently claimed by people who caught a glimpse of the activities on the "pretend" customer side)?

Endothermic industrial processes only a capture a tiny fraction of the heat. The rest is waste heat. A typical endothermic process listed in the textbooks is baking bread. A tiny amount of the heat is stored as chemical changes in the bread, which would later be released if you burn the bread. But most of the heat escapes. Photosynthesis is another endothermic process often listed in textbooks (with light instead of heat). This sequesters a little light, and frees up some oxygen, but most of the light reflects off of the leaf. Efficiency is low; 3 to 6% in ideal circumstances.

No industrial endothermic process swallows up all of the heat.

• Why would the heat need to be ventilated if the heat was being used in an endothermic chemical process (as has been apparently claimed by people who caught a glimpse of the activities on the "pretend" customer side)?

There is no known "endothermic chemical process" which would "use up" much the heat. This explanation is proposed by people who are clueless about chemistry and endothermic reactions. Yes, you can store heat energy chemically. The efficiency is low. Most of the megawatt would still heat the equipment and the room and need to be exhausted.

Who saw that? I see these claims, almost always without references. How could you tell what a process was doing by a "glimpse"? Electrochemical energy storage (of electricity) is at best about 90% efficient, but that is electricity, which can be converted readily to chemical energy through electrolysis or battery activity. And then what is all that energy stored in? How much stored energy product would need to be moved. And, ah, if you have stored a lot of energy in a chemical product, that product becomes dangerous.

Okay, it was a "secret process" that nobody knows about. With a secret company that nobody but Rossi's attorney knows about. And with this, you can make up any story you like and cling to it as long as you want, continually inventing rationalizations. Good luck.

Thermal energy storage able to absorb a megawatt of power without constant flow of goods would be worth billions all by itself. (Remember, this is low-grade heat, steam temperature. You could store higher-grade heat as hot objects with high specific heat, insulated. But it would still be a lot of stuff to move.

• I have no idea why they do not release it. You would have to ask the I.H. lawyers.

Weaver was quite clear. They will release information when it suits their purposes, and IH doesn't give a fig about opinions on the blogs.

• I would like to say something more about the pressure readings of 0.0 bar, and why I am sure they are wrong. Some people have suggested this is really 0.0 barG, or 1 atm. I do not think so, but let us give Rossi and Penon the benefit of the doubt and assume it was 0.0 barG.

This figure was listed for several days, with no variation. Suppose you have a pressure gauge that reads to the nearest tenth-bar. It will not record exactly 0.0 barG every single time. It will be -0.1 at times, or 0.1 barG. I think there has to be some resistance from steam going through a heat exchanger or equipment, so it has to be higher than 0.0 barG.

Granted, this is Doral, FL, elevation 3' above sea level, and normal barometric pressure variations are around 0.01 bar (1 kPa). So there will be no measurable difference from weather. But I doubt that the pressure in a steam boiler will register exactly 1 atm every single time.

I am ignoring the claim that there were realistic numbers, in bar, not barG, in an earlier version of the data.

By the way, you now know as much about the pressure readings as I do. No variation, 0.0 bar. Draw your own conclusions. It seems impossible to me.

• Now, Axil thinks that IH behavior "did not seem to be natural." Damn straight it wasn't natural. Most people would immediately reject the idea of paying over $10 million to someone who looks like a scammer, and Rossi did look that way at that time.

I have no idea whether any of this is true. However, I gave this message a thumbs up because it is so amusing! Popcorn time indeed.

Generally speaking, from my knowledge of history, people who speculate about secret events tend to be wrong. Even well informed people such as FDR in December 1941.

• Official Post

Generally speaking, from my knowledge of history, people who speculate about secret events tend to be wrong

No insult intended, but it seems to me LENR is loaded with "secret events". Everyone seems to have one. Any researcher, or spokesman, worth their weight, must have a secret, or NDA. Without, you are a nobody. Like a badge of honor of sorts. Seems all too convenient if you ask me. A cop out, and plays right into the hands of mainstream science.

McKubre cautioned against this syndrome afflicting the field. You also have commented.

• Remember, this is low-grade heat, steam temperature. You could store higher-grade heat as hot objects with high specific heat, insulated. But it would still be a lot of stuff to move.

Tons. It would not fit in the warehouse space. Heat is typically stored in molten salt. See:

http://www.solarreserve.com/en…olten-salt-energy-storage

The base temperature is 566⁰C so I guess Rossi's lawyer is not hiding the heat with this method. Heat losses are only 1⁰F per day, which is astounding. I had no idea such good insulation existed. Anyway, it says:

FEATURES
    * Molten salt is circulated through highly specialized piping in the receiver (heat exchanger) during the day, and held in storage tanks at night – requiring no fossil fuels
    * The tanks store the salt at atmospheric pressure
    * Use of molten salt for both heat transfer and thermal energy storage minimizes number of storage tanks and salt volumes needed
    * Molten salt is stored at 1050⁰F (566⁰C) until electricity is needed – day or night, whether or not the sun is shining
    * As electricity is needed, molten salt is dispatched from the hot tank through a heat exchanger to create super-heated steam which then powers a conventional steam turbine
    * The molten salt never needs replacing or topping up for the entire 30+ year life of the plant
    * Heat loss is only 1⁰F per day . . .

• No insult intended, but it seems to me LENR is loaded with "secret events". Everyone seems to have one. Any researcher, or spokesman, worth their weight, must have a secret, or NDA.

It is no worse than the software business, or something like high temperature superconductors. There are more secrets than you might find in some areas of physics, such as string theory. I suppose that is because string theory has no likely near-term commercial value. Electrochemistry often does have commercial value. The late John Bockris worked on many projects with industry, and he told me these were confidential. Cold fusion would have fewer secrets if patents were more easily available.

I used to know many people who were privy to secrets during WWII and after it, during the cold war. They told me that generally speaking, the tip-top secrets in OSS (later CIA) did not have much value. Actually, they used stronger language. They said you can learn more from the New York Times. In the 1980s I read unclassified CIA reports on Japan. I could have written better ones myself.

• Endothermic industrial processes only a capture a tiny fraction of the heat.

I'm no expert in the production of sponge metal, but apparently it involves heating large vats of water. So you would also need to account for whatever heat loss occurs due to the endothermic chemical process of creating the sponge metal, and the energy required to heat and maintain the temperature of the water. Siffer also calculated that you could put several saunas in the customer area, which would sufficiently sink 1 MW of heat. There are plenty of other speculative conjecture out there of how you can absorb 1 MW of heat in a warehouse of its size. One simple way would be to just heat water and then send it down a drain (not very useful, but easy enough).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.