IH considering counterclaims

• A few other things Rossi may have going for him, is the so far uncontested validation test (VT), Rossi's comment on his JONP dated 8 July 2013, that his "partner" had built an Ecat from scratch, bought and mixed the fuel, fired that beast up, and it ran as advertised.

I strongly suspect that the Validation Test will be challenged.

It's more difficult to challenge than the GPT, because it was so long ago. With the GPT, there is accessory evidence available, we think.

from the Complaint:

8 July 2013 was pretty early, but not impossible. However, was Rossi there, "assisting" with testing?

• So would the court want the (currently locked off) 1MW E-cat tested or a single module under laboratory conditions.

I keep pointing out that U.S. Courts do not operate like that. An attorney may be able to arrange some sort of a test, but what would it prove in this case? Either way?

• Not a joke at all Jed. A best guess. Or perhaps an out of work bit part actor Rossi hired.

So you best guess is that he was imprisoned, and your second best guess is that he is an out of work actor. And you really mean that. Those are widely divergent claims. Do you have any evidence at all for either one of them? A rumor, or something in the mass media? Or did you just dream that up yourself? If you dreamed it up without any evidence, then I think it is inaccurate to say these are "guesses." To guess is defined as "estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct." When you have no information at all, that would be fiction, imagination, divination, or in this case, unfounded calumny and slander, which is not something you should post on the Internet. Not even under a false name.

So would the court want the (currently locked off) 1MW E-cat tested or a single module under laboratory conditions. This will of course go the same way as the Pons and Fleishmann replications by Caltech since we know Rossi has indicated there is currently no system that does not require his and IH's constant attention. But this being the case, is it reasonable to force him and IH to be absent from a test only he or they can perform, this was not in the contract.

It could be either a single module or a whole plant, depending on what the experts wanted. I think testing a single module is the obvious way to go but could take longer because of the instrumentation and input output requirements. Supposedly the megawatt plant is all set up.

If the system requires constant attention, that is easily solved by having one of the experts put hands on the system and having this expert do whatever Rossi needs done, of course within the bounds of not adding power or fuel.

BTW, what attention could a single module possibly need that a simple automated control system couldn't do? Rossi has never even said how the ecats are controlled. And the original models had a large external band heater than heated only the coolant fluid!

Alan: what successful tests are you thinking of in Sweden? Certainly not Lugano and similar!

• Mary

So you best guess is that he was imprisoned, and your second best guess is that he is an out of work actor. And you really mean that. Those are widely divergent claims. Do you have any evidence at all for either one of them? A rumor, or something in the mass media? Or did you just dream that up yourself? If you dreamed it up without any evidence, then I think it is inaccurate to say these are "guesses." To guess is defined as "estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct." When you have no information at all, that would be fiction, imagination, divination, or in this case, unfounded calumny and slander, which is not something you should post on the Internet. Not even under a false name.

Mary, looks like you are heading for the door again!

I don't agree with Jed often but on this he has a serious point, a secondary point is that if this is how you make logical judgements and come to 'common sense' conclusions then it discredits all you say which is a shame because on a very few occasions you do appear to come up with a revelation., Alas they will now be lost in the mist.

Best regards
    Frank

• The ERV report is agreed (in contract) between Rossi and IH to be the trigger for the payment of $89 million.

If as expected that is what it does then the only option for IH is to discredit it. They may go full on for 'fraud' or half throttle to claim it was 'mistaken'.

I suppopse it might be difficult to prove fraud, but it would dead easy to prove it was mistaken. As I have said several times, any licensed expert will testify to that, in as much detail as you like. I doubt any licensed expert will testify that it might have worked.

• C'mon Jed, calm down. It's not that bad a guess. Rossi was in prison and would probably have friends from the time when he was incarcerated. And maybe one was down on his luck and needed a gig. It's not so farfetched. That Rossi bamboozled so many people with his rusty original hardware -- that seemed farfetched.

Hiring an actor would be a typical Rossilike move. What is for sure that I can tell you with certainty is that nobody has ever identified or published an interview with the man and that there is no such thing as a NATO colonel. So I suppose, if he's not an actor or a jailbird, he could be a ghost. I suppose the people who attended the farcical demo of Nov 2011 could have asked but apparently none did. How in the hell did THAT happen?

Where do YOU suppose the guy came from? And who do you suppose is Rossi's military customer who never took delivery (or took delivery of junk) and has never surfaced in six years? And who are all thos exponentially increasing orders from?

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

If it comes to a technical argument over 'does it work' I think that evidence of recent successful tests carried out using Rossi's IP in Sweden would be very relevant. Or perhaps you can (briefly) explain why not?

Remember my outline of the basic issues.
    1. Did Rossi transfer the IP? A Swedish test would have no bearing on that.
    2. Did the GP Test meet the criteria for payment? All that a successful Swedish test could do is to show that something could work, not that it did.

• Alan

Do you have a link that reviews the recent 'successful' Sweedish tests?

He didn't say there were such tests. He was talking about a speculation that Rossi might present such results, if they were "successful." Read in context.

• Official Post

All that a successful Swedish test could do is to show that something could work, not that it did.

I think you are wrong. Science and engineering is difficult. Let us assume I run a very expensive class in how to build and ride a unicycle. I have two pupils, one completes the course successfully, he can build and ride. The other can build a unicycle, but he cannot ride it and refuses to pay me. If I were to sue this difficult pupil for my fee, I think the evidence of my other star pupil would be both relevant and useful.

• Sorry, Alan. You're right of course about Lugano. So the Swedish tests are only supposed and not actual? I agree with you that if Rossi can show any working hardware with any customer, he's a long ways towards winning but in my opinion, that has never happened. Why would it happen now? Rossi has never revealed any customer other than IH and the only independent test of the ecats done for Hydrofusion by an independent (really!) Swedish test lab, failed as per this Google translation: http://tinyurl.com/c5k6du3

• So would the court want the (currently locked off) 1MW E-cat tested or a single module under laboratory conditions.

I do not think courts ever do that. It is not their job. I doubt even a "special master" would do anything like that. I have read about technical court cases over disputes in technology. All they do is look at data from previous tests.

I very much doubt that cold fusion or any advanced physics would be an issue. The only question is whether the machine produced excess heat, which is what Rossi and the ERV claim. That question is easy to answer. Any expert witness can draw a firm conclusion from the data, configuration, photos of the equipment and other existing data.

A laboratory test might reveal that the machine can actually produce heat. That would be interesting, but that is not the question at issue here. The question is: Did the machine produce heat as described in the ERV report? I am confident that any sane expert will so no.

If Rossi would now demonstrate that the machine can actually produce heat, and he will show how to do that and then agree to call off the lawsuit, I am sure I.H. will pay him $89 million. As I said before, that would be a sure thing, whereas the lawsuit is a crapshoot. He would get $89 million now, and billions later on from half the world, so if the machine works, I don't see why he is taking a huge risk that might bring in 3 times $89 million if he wins, but will probably bring in nothing. If you are going to get billions in a few years, why risk losing $89 million in the hope of getting $267 million in the short term? Why go to the trouble?

• @frankwtu

I am not the only one who has conjectured that the so-called NATO colonel was a friend of Rossi's or someone he hired. What is the problem with such a conjecture? It's as reasonable as thinking that the guy was a person who worked for NATO with the rank of colonel and never left any trace whatsoever of his Armed Forces association on the internet. Try searching the name of any commander of a military unit (as a colonel would have to be) and see how many mentions he or she gets for such things as commissioning ceremonies, promotions and, especially, new technologies. Try searching “Domenico Fioravanti” and you get a famous swimmer who is not military, anyway not at present, and you get Rossi mentions. Or anyway you used to,. Now, even those are petering out. There could not be a colonel in a NATO army who left no internet footprint whatever and yet showed up in public at a Rossi demo and signed his name to the dirty piece of notebook paper Rossi called The Results of the Test. It does not make sense and it did not make sense in November 2011.

ETA: Try Googling “Domenico Fioravanti” and "NATO colonel" and see what you get.

Jed: who do you think this man is? And why?

• I think you are wrong. Science and engineering is difficult. Let us assume I run a very expensive class in how to build and ride a unicycle. I have two pupils, one completes the course successfully, he can build and ride. The other can build a unicycle, but he cannot ride it and refuses to pay me. If I were to sue this difficult pupil for my fee, I think the evidence of my other star pupil would be both relevant and useful.

In your example, Rossi would have to demonstrate two things. 1. That it worked, and 2. That he transferred the knowledge to someone else, and they replicated independently. I have not heard any rumors that he did #2. Have you?

Even if he did both not, today, with someone other than I.H., that still does not count. The issue is what happened previously, with the 1-year test. That did not work. If a new test works, perhaps a new agreement can be reached, but that still does not give Rossi any basis to sue, because the previous test definitely failed.

• I think you are wrong. Science and engineering is difficult. Let us assume I run a very expensive class in how to build and ride a unicycle. I have two pupils, one completes the course successfully, he can build and ride. The other can build a unicycle, but he cannot ride it and refuses to pay me. If I were to sue this difficult pupil for my fee, I think the evidence of my other star pupil would be both relevant and useful.

Actually, no. That one pupil was successful would not show that you properly taught the other. At all. It would show that it was possible that *someone* could be taught under some conditions.

What this would show is that you failed to teach the second pupil. You might claim that it wasn't your fault, perhaps he was a lazy SOB, but ... if you are a professional teacher, knowing how to teach -- and not wasting the time of pupils that are not likely to learn -- is part of the job. And if you ran the course on credit, not based on progress payments that are deemed fully earned by agreement, you will suffer the loss, though details will depend on the contract, if there was any.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.