Paper: “A Technique for Making Nuclear Fusion in Solids” (Richard Wayte)

• Official Post

[feedquote='E-Cat World','http://www.e-catworld.com/2016/08/09/paper-a-technique-for-making-nuclear-fusion-in-solids-richard-wayte/']Thanks to Peter Gluck on his latest comment on the Ego Out site for pointing out an article by British researcher Richard Wayte that I hadn’t yet see, but is an interesting contribution to the body of LENR research. The article is titled “A Technique for Making Nuclear Fusion in Solids”. The author has done […][/feedquote]

• I see that frankwtu likes this. (not calling you out sir).
    I looked at the researchgate url. It was not paywalled for me.

So I read the damn thing before commenting.

I hope we have a thread about this. The experiment is well documented so it makes it almost looks easy to reproduce on an LENR budget.
    Alas after reading the paper I did not draw the same [fusion, fusion....everywhere ] as I saw no proof of expected radiation in the SM (std. mdl.).
    The math seems based on chemical reactions, as no radiation was found. (before I am picked apart).
    But hey it is interesting and they just say its worth a look so ....

• Official Post

I'm sure I came across this paper in Jed's LENR-CANR Library awhile back- and in fact went looking for it (again) a few weeks back. I think it very interesting, but see no reason why it should be considered a prima facie proof of LENR without additional supporting evidence.

For those interested in 'naughty' experiments btw I have tried packing the Rossi fuel into a 22 slug and firing it at a steel plate. No result.

• I agree Alan. I did see that it was posted in the LENR-database. I just did not make the same conclusions as the author. But I love the setup.
    As a side note thanks from keeping this place from killing each other. I really mean it.

• I hope we have a thread about this. The experiment is well documented so it makes it almost looks easy to reproduce on an LENR budget.
    Alas after reading the paper I did not draw the same [fusion, fusion....everywhere ] as I saw no proof of expected radiation in the SM (std. mdl.).
    The math seems based on chemical reactions, as no radiation was found. (before I am picked apart).

First of all, we generally to not expect radiation in LENR. Something about it seems to prevent radiation. That's part of the mystery.

However, this paper presents no substantial evidence or analysis that the effects they are seeing are due to nuclear fusion. This kind of paper appearing in JCMNS continues the poor appearance of the LENR community to the mainstream, and we are going to need the mainstream to solve the very difficult problem of cold fusion.

The paper could be interesting as a report of some unexpected effects, but they do not explain why the effects are not expected. There is no analysis of heat production vs mass of "fuel.

When Pons and Fleischmann published, the only evidence they had of "nuclear" was energy density, because they measured heat. They also had some radiation artifacts. And that they mentioned "fusion" was a disaster, they simply did not have the evidence. This paper has much less. No heat measurements, just some explosions. In general, LENR doesn't generate explosions, so they are unexpected from LENR. They are expected from chemistry and there is another factor here, very high pressure which can also make some "bangs."

The problem I'm seeing is that this is labelled "fusion," without evidence, and that then creates the impression that JCMNS is about incautious and overstated claims.

• Nice « Do It Yourself » 32 tons shop press in this
    paper.

But I am not sure that compressing Calcium deuteride and Red
    Phosphorus is wise thinking.

I am afraid that the chemical reaction going to Calcium phosphide
    and Phosphine (Hydrogen phosphide) is explosive Under pressure. (And Phosphine is
    pyrophoric : The methane of whisps ("feux follets" in french) is self-ignited in the midsummer swamps nights by traces of
    phosphine)

• Both PH3 and COCl2 are very nasty, for quite different reasons ultimately targeting respiration.

At least they are not heading toward arsine or stibnine, yet.

But, the chemistries of those compounds have very interesting possibilities with respect to electron pair interactions.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.