Experimental evidence to date for He / excess heat correlation in LENR experiments to have nuclear mechanism

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

How many neutrons do You personally expect from D-D fusion? 1/event, 0.001/event or even less?

(Or bettter look up the figure...)

Personally? 0.5, it's well-known and easy to remember, so even though I'm 72, I don't need to look it up at all. The normal excited 4He* nucleus is highly unstable and has two basic ways to split, well known. The settling as an intact 4He nucleus is extremely rare, and this is all reasonably well understood.

Could there be some flaw in this? Yes. Maybe. But I don't expect it.

What I expect, from the evidence, is that the FP reaction is not "D-D fusion." I usually state it as "deuterium conversion to helium," and often add, "mechanism unknown."

As to the rate of neutron formation vs helium formation, neutrons have never been correlated with heat; however a rough rule of thumb is that tritium (also not correlated, or weakly correlated with heat) is down a million times from helium and neutrons are a million times down from tritium.

• Hermes wrote:
    The third issue is that the gamma decay curve is irregular - there are times when the count rate actually increases in a way incompatible with decay statistics.

This is a good thing! It suggests that it's not a simple decay, and that something might be spiking the process over the short term. Yet another reason not to ignore the paper.

So don't ignore it! However, this is not, by far, the most significant and clear unexplored finding.

Sure, if someone has the knowledge and inclination to replicate the result, that's a great thing. However, what are the odds? That's an assessment that those who fund research must make, and those who invest their time and energy.

Is this something for MFMP to take up? Certainly that could be a possibility: MFMP will make decisions by whatever mechanism they have set up. They could also ask the opinion of the LENR scientists, as to what to look for, what is understood about this and this kind of experiment. MFMP has access to the CMNS list. Questions are answered with kindness, normally. Challenges on the level of "you are a bunch of idiots because you have not considered MY GREAT IDEA" tend to run into a brick wall. Or more accurately, into "nothing."

• I think Oriani's work has been unfairly characterized here. It is easy to understand his results if one allows for residual alpha-radioactivity in particles that are escaping from the surface of Oriani's cells. The best course for Oriani's work is to try to explain it, even using a mundane hypothesis. And then re-test. Unfortunately Oriani has passed away, but perhaps someone else (Fisher?) knows how to do the experiment.

The points have been missed.

1. Kowalski attempted to replicate Oriani, with Oriani's assistance, and failed.
    2. There was no correlation with electrolytic current, across a wide range of currents, and radiation results.
    3. The controls were inadequate.

I think this needs to be understood, it may apply to a number of radiation reports. An electrolytic cathode is like a garbage dump attracting every cation in the vicinity. Electrolysis experiments may literally pull radioactive elements out of the air, or out of any cell materials. However, if the effect is due to garbage collection *or* some nuclear effect in the cathode, we would expect correlation with current, and that this was missing (I did look for it) is telling.

In this experiment, the radiation was low-level (in spite of what was said about it) and no particular significance was shown, other than the usual "How the hell is a nuclear event taking place *here*?"

We do not normally stick SSNTDs, which can detect extremely low levels of radiation, in various places and see what happens. It's an experiment I plan to do, in fact, because it's easy and I could: just place some SSNTDs around in various places and see what I can find. OMG! Nuclear reactions in my bathroom! Yeah, I knew that gas was bad, but not that bad!

Seriously, having fun is a very important part of any research program.

• Back in 1927 Friedrich Paneth and Kurt Peters claimed helium nucleosynthesis from hydrogen, but they later retracted the result and suggested that the measured helium was from the environment.

I think they suspected the helium migrated through glass. Helium does that.

I believe the first person to point out this paper in the 1980s was Martin Fleischmann.

• 1. Kowalski attempted to replicate Oriani, with Oriani's assistance, and failed.

Note that Oriani by himself is not the only one to report this; he's also reported it together with Fisher. I don't take Kowalski's failure to replicate to be too damning.

2. There was no correlation with electrolytic current, across a wide range of currents, and radiation results.

Although a correlation with current would be nice, for there to be something interesting to look into it's sufficient to show a significantly higher rate of pits in live runs versus controls, as has been reported, e.g., here. Since we're talking about particles dislodging from the electrodes and escaping the electrolyte, it's hard to say how much of a correlation with current would be expected, even in the best scenario.

This is a common complaint with LENR experiments. It's been a while since I've looked at Oriani's and Fisher's work, but I would not be surprised at all if the controls could be tightened up. That's an argument for doing the experiment again with a better methodology.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

This is a common complaint with LENR experiments. It's been a while since I've looked at Oriani's and Fisher's work, but I would not be surprised at all if the controls could be tightened up. That's an argument for doing the experiment again with a better methodology.

See http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KowalskiLonemission.pdf ...
    and then see the Curie Project, which Kowalski organized to look at Oriani's work.
    http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/362curie.html
    http://pages.csam.montclair.ed…i/cf/401confirmation.html
    http://pages.csam.montclair.ed…cf/403memoir.html#chapt22

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/B…JPjcondensedd.pdf#page=40 is the Curie project report.

• What about 87Rb -> 87Sr + e- (i.e., beta decay)? No need for proton addition. I don't find it to be a show-stopper when the ratios turn out to be the natural ones, although it's a detail to follow up on.

If there existed a mechanism in nature to accellerate natural decays so as to produce heat then we would expect a correllation of that heat with appropriate elements. I am not aware of any, nor of any theoretical justification for expecting such accelleration. :(

I probably missed your point about the ratios.

Well the Strontium ratios corresponded to the Rubidium ratios suggesting that Strontium was created from Rubidium (by net addittion of a proton). Lots of intriguing results in this paper!

• If there existed a mechanism in nature to accellerate natural decays so as to produce heat then we would expect a correllation of that heat with appropriate elements. I am not aware of any, nor of any theoretical justification for expecting such accelleration.

Not being aware of a correlation of heat from such processes (there could potentially be several, not just one) is different than this not having happened: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Any theoretical justification I might attempt to provide at this point would necessarily be hand-wavy. But if you were looking for a theory, wouldn't it be nice if there was a very relevant explanation that was so close to established physics that it had already been anticipated numerous times, has in fact been seen at low levels and has been set aside as a possibility for higher levels due above all to a lack of evidence? "How to Change Nuclear Decay Rates", "What could you do to change the polonium half-life?", "Why isn't it possible to speed up the rate of radioactive decay?", "Variability of Nuclear Decay Rates". Or an explanation provided in a patent by someone not obviously connected to LENR? "Method for enhancing alpha decay in radioactive materials". Or an explanation that is tantalizingly similar to another experimental phenomenon reported outside of the context of LENR which is also receiving heightened scrutiny but has not yet been disconfirmed? "Radioactive decay rates vary with the sun's rotation".

Also, in considering objections raised against the possibility of changing decay rates, one must factor in the big implication of how such a thing would unsettle conclusions based on radiocarbon dating, which must be in the back of people's minds.

It's fine to object that one or another specific explanation is no good; and if all of that were happening, wouldn't you expect to see other things, and why haven't we seen them? And those are questions that should be investigated. But there's a background of related observations that make the the decay of 87Rb to 87Sr quite plausible in the present context, despite such difficulties.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.