Image on Mr. Bass's business card found

• Why would this be so imbecilic? The infection may not show and may not affect his particular system or may not have been present when he created the link.

BTW, if you have a Windows computer, you can avoid such hassles by running your browser in a program called Sandboxie and *in addition* to your usual virus checker, running the real time "Pro" version of Malwarebytes (an annual subscription). Malwarebytes Pro maintains a constantly updated blacklist of infectious or otherwise dangerous web sites and automatically blocks the browser from completing any links to such sites, issuing a warning instead. I've used it for five years now without a single virus infection despite surfing to some admittedly questionable sites such as thepiratebay.se (I strongly suggest avoiding that site unless you for sure know what you are doing).

As for the ransomware that is plaguing the world, it is best avoided by maintaining full drive image backups which are rotated weekly (or more often if you make lots of changes). These can run at night. Drives not in use for the current backup must be completely off line -- disconnected from the system. Important archived files can be protected by writing them to write once media such as CD's or DVD's.

• Well maybe. I am not familiar with Chromebooks. The ones I tried were slow and limited but that was some time ago. But don't be so sure it can't be infected. Virus writers are pretty resourceful. It was once true that MacIntosh infections were very unusual and Mac ransomware did not exist. That is no longer the case as some users learned recently to their sorrow (including a friend of mine who clicked on a ransomware link in an email from a hapless friend).

The only way your Chromebook would be completely protected would be if all OS and application software were in write-once media and no execution of updates or other external programs were possible. I am pretty sure that is not the case. Anyway, what makes you think this Chromebook is immune to "all cyber threats"?

I am tempted to take a cheap shot and ask if Rossi said it but I will desist.

• were in write-once media and no execution of updates or other external programs were possible.

As far as I know, only Google can update it. They do that automatically every week or so. It is a "closed garden" environment, similar to Apple, only more so. Google is very good at security. Since the machine does only one thing -- hosting the Chrome browser -- I expect it is somewhat easier for the programmers to protect it. I probably would not like a "garden" if this were a general purpose computer, but since all does is browse, I have no reason to care, and no other use for the machine. I would not want to customize it or reprogram it any more than I would reprogram a printer or a GPS gadget.

(I did use printers back when you nearly had to program them. No thanks.)

I like single-purpose hardware.

• I agree that posting trojan infested links approaches imbecility, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you probably didn't realize what you were doing.

So IHFB uses this to poke and troll for response from Jed, when Jed was far from the first to put up the link, As far as I've found with respect to Rossi v. Darden, it was first posted by Ged on E-Cat world. http://www.e-catworld.com/2016…age-1/#comment-2825206500, August 7, long before Jed posted it. I pointed this out yesterday, here. If a user is so concerned about harm from this link, rather than as some sort of snot to throw at Jed, the user could have pointed out the problem there. I just did.

(But I'm on moderation there, it's pending, might wait for hours.)

Posting infected links, when one sees no sign of the infection, is normal internet behavior, it does not "approach imbecility." But if it does, we have one other approaching imbecility before Jed. And we have one more Dumb Conspiracy Theorist who refuses to let go of it and keeps poking. And then another bringing in the "masons, mafia, triads."

One more fact about this. I mentioned the newvortex post of Alain Coetmuir linking to the photo, later on August 7. That was a safe link, to the image itself, not the hosting page.

• BTW, if you have a Windows computer, you can avoid such hassles by running your browser in a program called Sandboxie and *in addition* to your usual virus checker, running the real time "Pro" version of Malwarebytes (an annual subscription).

The NSA proof way to surf is: Run a virtual PC from a memory card you dd'd each time from a linux system. Copy back all Your changed files, on the linux system by an unprivileged user, to an other memory card and move on to an offline PC! Just organize Your life - if You realy need it...

• it was first posted by Ged on E-Cat world

Yes, he was replying to me. I looked at the site, and I had no problems then. I thought he had actually identified the plant location from the photo, which I thought was a stock photo, but had no idea where it came from.

OTOH, I have had malware/virus attempts from attempting to look up Penon-Rossi-Focardi information from some sites with "e-cat" in the name (not ECW).
    Conspiracy nuts can put that in their pipe and smoke it...

• I once clicked on FB worm that attacked all my contacts. People got annoyed, which I can understand. I then apologised, and that was the end of it.

The other comment about (ex) blackwater personnel was by the way posted in a separate comment on this thread, page one.
    I just threw it out there, to see what would come back to me.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.