[SPLIT]Older LENR Experiments were bad, good... in general

It would be technically possible a room equipped for calorimetric measurements managed by independent third part, available to LENR researchers?

The problem is that no LENR researcher wants to sit down repeating an experiment and getting rid of all the artifacts. That is exactly what MFMP did initially. I notice now that although they do repeat experiments they do not summarise the results - positive and negative, comparing with original. Instead, they highlight any anomaly (e.g. the Signal) and remain quiet about its lack of reproduction. I'd like a balanced summary say every 6 months of what they have discovered for a given setup. Which anomalies are non-reproducible and not understood, which anomalies are understood as artifacts, which anomalies are (reasonably) reproducible and remain.

From MFMP, my understanding is that they continue to see marginal levels of differential temperature in their cells which if this represented real heat difference might be above chemical? But it clearly could be an artifact because the calorimetry they use is prone to such at low levels. And my understanding is that the "Signal" was a one-off event - co-incidental with a power glitch - and they have no more information about it? But maybe the answers here are lost in pages of posts on their site...

Anyway - what you ask for could be done by MFMP. They just need to stick on a single experiment, with repeat cycles every 3 months, say, and report fully all results and the status of any anomalies.

The problem for MFMP that I see is that they have currently no experiment that survives that experience looking like real LENR. I'd be very happy if somone here could correct me?

Also, there is something unfortunate about highlighting every anomaly and not equally highlighting its lack of reproducibility or the artifacts that might cause it. people think that anomaly => LENR. In reality anomaly => LENR or artifact. Distinguishing the two is what good science does, but blog mostly opinion does not care about. And most people remember the strongly highlighted anomaly (for example the signal) but not the quiet conclusion 9 months later that it was probably an artifact.

Naughty sweeping generalisation.

Perhaps I should say that it has never happened? Perhaps a few researchers wanted to do this but ran out of money, or died, etc? Or perhaps whenever it happened the results were negative?

OTOH I have a number of examples of repeated experiments under different conditions etc which do not help in eliminating possible artifacts.

• The problem is that no LENR researcher wants to sit down repeating an experiment and getting rid of all the artifacts. That is exactly what MFMP did initially. I notice now that although they do repeat experiments they do not summarise the results - positive and negative, comparing with original. Instead, they highlight any anomaly (e.g. the Signal) and remain quiet about its lack of reproduction. I'd like a balanced summary say every 6 months of what they have discovered for a given setup. Which anomalies are non-reproducible and not understood, which anomalies are understood as artifacts, which anomalies are (reasonably) reproducible and remain.

The biggest damage the rejection cascade did to LENR was the loss of graduate student labor. The first time a grad student's thesis was rejected because it was about LENR (ipso facto, not because it was poor work), that source of replication labor was lost. Nobody wins the Nobel Prize by replication nor to they get rich from replicating a discovery. It's boring, not exciting. So, double whammy: funding cut, cheap labor cut.

This is starting to move. Scarborough is Duncan's grad student, working on heat/helium. I know another professor who has recently obtained a lab and a grad student.

Nobody wins the Nobel Prize by replication nor to they get rich from replicating a discovery. It's boring, not exciting.

That is I think not true in this specific case. A sequence of high integrity experiments, replicating a clearly unusual because not explicable via chemistry anomaly, with the various possible loopholes instrumented and controlled, would move LENR from fringe science to "exciting anomaly everyone wants to look at". Whomever published that could well get a Nobel Prize.

The strongest argument for skeptics is that the claimed effects are marginal and/or not reproducible. So such a reproducible and not marginal (because of the extra instrumentation, calibration, and controls) result would be quite different.

Of course, for that type of experiment to be possible there needs to be some real non-chemical effect at work: without that results will always be marginal.

According to Hank Mills, enough evidence has been provided to substantiate that something happen beyond a reasonable doubt, but evidently not enough to break mass media disinterest and mainstream science's ostracism.

Yes, but according to skeptics outside the LENR field there is not enough evidence to substantiate anything worth a lot of interest, like LENR. Chemical-level anomalies in deuterated metal systems will not set the world abuzz.

So the solution to what Hank calls "ostracism" and I'd call "reasoned skepticism in absence of good evidence" is to provide better evidence.

• Quote from GH

QUOTE OF THE WEEK II: "There are 100+ talkers for every doer in this field."

very true. And if the doers paid more attention to talkers who actually thought about this stuff (there are many - e.g. Brian Aherne here) and less to a fuzzy crowd consensus typified by your posts of polemic without scientific content -

Why then the results they got might be more interesting...

I'm not saying anyone should do any particular thing: everyone has every right, subject to safety laws etc, to do whatever they like - and I wish them all good luck.

• The point being that hard-working experimentalists are under no obligation to listen - but equally mainstream scientists are under no obligation to take any interest in experimental results claiming extraordinary new physics that are not very robust.

Right. "I'm not interested" is perfectly acceptable. We make these choices all the time.

Pseudoskepticism goes further and assumes knowledge of bogosity, commonly making ad-hominem arguments (worse than "I don't trust you," which is ordinary, though rude to say). A pseudoskeptic will devote much time to arguing against "pseudoscience," well beyond ordinary saying-it-like-it-is, which we all will do. (Pseudoskepticism forgets to be skeptical of self, it is thus actually a form of pseudoscience, belief in past understandings, if it thinks it is based on science.)

Underneath all this is how people form and hold ideas and beliefs.

• Quote from Abd

Pseudoskepticism goes further and assumes knowledge of bogosity, commonly making ad-hominem arguments (worse than "I don't trust you," which is ordinary, though rude to say). A pseudoskeptic will devote much time to arguing against "pseudoscience," well beyond ordinary saying-it-like-it-is, which we all will do. (Pseudoskepticism forgets to be skeptical of self, it is thus actually a form of pseudoscience, belief in past understandings, if it thinks it is based on science.)

That is very true, but don't forget the converse effect, where any questioner without the (perhaps rational, but not held by many) beliefs of those in the LENR field does not accept the things they accept and is therefore labelled a pseudo-skeptic.

You are right that people take sides and switch off brains. Don't think the LENR community are free from this common human trait!

• Official Post

That is very true, but don't forget the converse effect, where any questioner without the (perhaps rational, but not held by many) beliefs of those in the LENR field does not accept the things they accept and is therefore labelled a pseudo-skeptic.

It would be interesting or possibly amusing to poll academic physicists as to their belief in various (to many) unproven hypotheses. The existence of a deity, LENR, string theory, dark matter/energy, Lady Luck, Trump would be a great POTUS - it could be quite a long list. I am sure that we would see that the revealed belief profile of the 'respectable' physics community who responded would show that they are no more or less fond of a little crackpottery than the rest of us.

• Official Post

I have turned a new leaf, and now believe that all discussions should be dissolved by topic matter into tiny pieces, and those pieces appended without context to other threads, in order to improve comprehension and flow of discussion.

OK Eric. In the spirit of scientific enquiry I have broken up your post, quoted above, into single words and inserted them one by one into Axil and Abd's last 42 posts. Let's see what happens.

• Abd wrote:

You are right that people take sides and switch off brains. Don't think the LENR community are free from this common human trait!

I wrote a longer response, but the web site logs me out automatically, it does this frequently. When it does that, sometimes the reply window, when I come back to the window, and it is reloaded, has lost the edit. Here is some of it from memory:

Of course, the dismissal of skepticism as pseudoskepticism happens. There is no hard and fast boundary; however characterizing pseudoskepticism is a held belief that creates an idea that a claim is extraordinary -- which is subjective, even though it may be shared -- and therefore ordinary evidence is to be disregarded. Genuine skepticism recognizes attachment to ideas, including the ideas of the skeptic, and will either investigate or will *choose* to not investigate because of an assessment that the probability of the investigation being worthwhile is too low. The phenomenon of information cascades is highly useful to understand. I recommend Tiernan's analysis of Taubes on this point. Taubes, of course, wrote Bad Science, a highly skeptical rejection of cold fusion, which is quite useful for the history, it was a massive effort. Taubes was (and is) a real skeptic, but he also developed a story that colored his analysis (and still does). He is human. He has confronted the "mainstream" in other areas, notably salt and fat in the diet. And he is now facilitating research.

On cold fusion, I recommend reading McKubre, in Current Science last year, "Cold fusion: comments on the state of scientific proof"
    http://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/108/04/0495.pdf

This article does not address the "proof" that cold fusion is real, but rather the claim that

Occasionally, with decreasing regularity, one hears statements to the effect that ‘Cold fusion has been proven to not exist or to have been based on errors’. Almost always the words ‘long ago’ are appended.

The rejection cascade created a general impression like what McKubre is talking about, such that skeptics have an idea that the rejection is "consensus" or "scientific agreement." What I began to notice in 2009, when I became aware again of the field, was that mainstream journals were accepting articles that appeared to assume that cold fusion was real. Yet this is obviously not the widespread impression of "scientists."

An information cascade can create obstacles to genuine scientific understanding that can persist for a generation, or more.

By 2011, I became increasingly aware of dysfunctional response to the rejection cascade in the LENR community. By the end of 2012, I had support from McKubre in others to begin addressing this, by introducing and supporting skepticism and an understanding of skepticism as crucial to science, and of pseudoskepticism as an aspect of normal human reactivity (and "firm belief" the same).

In theory, the LENR community and the mainstream skeptical community should be united in supporting "research to resolve open questions," as it was called, as I recall, in the 2004 U.S. DoE review. That panel united on that call for research. Yet it was not funded. Why not?

An answer to that reveals social dysfunction. My point is not to blame anyone, my point is to supply what is missing.

I am gratified to see here an agreement: the value of testing the "claims of cold fusion." For cold fusion to receive the massive funding that Fleischmann thought necessary for commercialization -- he said, I think, "Manhattan-scale project" -- requires that the reality first be established beyond a reasonable doubt. Otherwise it would be a massive waste of resources.

My sense is that among today's real skeptics are the leaders of a revolution that I predict. Knowledge after carefully investigated doubt is actually called "science."

however characterizing pseudoskepticism is a held belief that creates an idea that a claim is extraordinary -- which is subjective, even though it may be shared -- and therefore ordinary evidence is to be disregarded.

Right. Taking that definition, with which I can agree, we have the corollary that attribution of pseudoskepticism is necessarily subjective.

From the outside, no-one can simply distinguish between rational (not-fixed) strong belief in a particular proposition based on prior evidence, induction, and proper application of the rule that simpler solutions are preferable to more complex ones (skeptic's response to unlikely proposition) and fixed belief which distorts judgement.

For me, I'd make the distinction based on an interest in detail. When, for example, skeptics like me are told that looking at possibilities of artifacts is pseudo-skepticism because done "too much", or that it is not interesting to reproduce results better instrumented because they are known correct by those who have looked at the corpus of data, we are correct in viewing that strand of opinion as "pseudo-science".

There can never be too much investigation of artifacts.

• Quote from John Doe quoted by Storms quoted by Abd

Occasionally, with decreasing regularity, one hears statements to the effect that ‘Cold fusion has been proven to not exist or to have been based on errors’. Almost always the words ‘long ago’ are appended.

No scientist who is careful with words could say such a thing. Cold Fusion as currently defined can never be proven not to exist, because the null hypothesis cannot, in principle, be proved. The hypothesis of cold fusion is so weak that the null hypothesis does not in any testable form exist.

Scientists are not always careful with words, and somone could use "Cold Fusion does not exist" as a shorthand for "Cold Fusion is not as currently posed a scientific hypothesis (for the reason above) and there is insufficient evidence of anomalies in the literature to make looking for highly uexpected solutions such as atypical nuclear reactions."

I would not. Perhaps somone saying that might be showing a lack of proper understanding of the Philosophy of Science. Or, it could just be that they were careless and saving words. You'd have to check the details.

I don't understand the "log ago" tag. It is normally those arguing against cold fusion who view continued reference to experimental data more than 5 years old (and in some cases 20 years old) by proponents as a sign that this is a pseudo-science.

• Quote from Abd

Knowledge after carefully investigated doubt is actually called "science."

I had a friend who was at one time a Skeptic - a group I'm suspicious of because while what they do is rationally OK, their strong motivation to do this always seems to me to be like religious belief. You will note the pseudonym under which I post as the person who coined the word "agnostic" to mean somone who struggled against any such inward bias, acknowledging that we all suffer this.

Anyway I was right, he became converted to fundamentalist Christianity. Not as much difference as you might think.

The point is that his process of conversion was exactly described by your quote: "Knowledge after carefully investigated doubt".

I'd say what makes for science is a continual struggle against "knowledge", and staying in a benign state of questioning uncertainty.

• Could it be that lenr is similar to a double slit expierement with single electrons,they do one thing until you try to watch what they are doing then they do something else.sounds like lenr hundreds of people have made it happen you just can't watch it happen. Sounds like no calimetry will work if this is the case,may need to put the calimetry in a black box so lenr can't see it. Sounds dumb but so does watching electrons not doing what they do when you are not watching.

• I'd say what makes for science is a continual struggle against "knowledge", and staying in a benign state of questioning uncertainty.

I agree except for one thing. There is such a thing as knowledge. The knowledge I referred to is not certainty, but it may be considered settled as a practical matter. Scientific knowledge is always open to the possibility of revision, but as time accumulates with the success of knowledge in prediction, it may be considered established.

It is not necessary that everyone investigate every new claim. It's is enough if a few do. A rejection cascade, however, damages the normal healthy process of challenge.

Some level of rejection of new ideas is inevitable. The rejection of cold fusion was vehement and outside of normal scientific courtesy.

The 1989 ERAB Panel (like the later 2004 US DoE review) recommended further research, but that recommendation was buried in rhetoric and vituperation, and the pseuodoskeptics took over.

I agree except for one thing. There is such a thing as knowledge. The knowledge I referred to is not certainty, but it may be considered settled as a practical matter. Scientific knowledge is always open to the possibility of revision, but as time accumulates with the success of knowledge in prediction, it may be considered established.It is not necessary that everyone investigate every new claim. It's is enough if a few do.

We agree about this, and yes some theory is sufficiently well supported that it can be seen as "knowledge".

A rejection cascade, however, damages the normal healthy process of challenge.Some level of rejection of new ideas is inevitable. The rejection of cold fusion was vehement and outside of normal scientific courtesy.The 1989 ERAB Panel (like the later 2004 US DoE review) recommended further research, but that recommendation was buried in rhetoric and vituperation, and the pseuodoskeptics took over.

The nature of science is that 90% of new ideas are wrong and therefore should be rejected. With LENR we have something that most scientists think is wrong, but a few continue to support. That is fine, and the way it should be, because unless there is room for unlikely things to be supported and investigated science loses robustness.

You go back to what happened 25 years ago. Just as you think the sign of a pseudo-skeptic is going back 20 years to make historical points maybe no longer valid, so i think it is a potential sign of a pseudo-scientist. The validity of new science ideas can be considered from recent experiments. that is because in any science (as opposed to pseudo-science) past experience is always incorporated into newer experiments so that they are better - wait 25 years and your best evidence will be much newer.

As for rejection-cascade - I think this is a socio-historical analysis rather than a scientific one - so I'll not comment.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.