Gold From Mats Lewan’s Impossible Invention Book (Engineer48)

• Also consider this. Sergio Focardi, who in my opinion knew more than he made it appear, always said that he strongly reccommended Rossi to add protection against neutrons to his reactors. The outer water jacket mentioned in the patent also evidently served to this purpose. Moreover, Rossi has always said that the radiations were "thermalized". It could be that as a matter of fact most of the energy was indeed "thermalized" inside the radiation protection jacket, but not in the way Rossi always claimed (gamma emitted from the reactor).

If you think about it, the reactors that appeared to work "well" have been for the most part those with water around the core, either for radiation (neutron) protection or for cooling. Even with the works of Parkhomov et al (and collegues) the reactors that appeared to work have been those with water calorimetry.

Some people say that I have a wild imagination but is this really just a coincidence?

• Official Post

@David Fojt

With regard to water-cooling, it has been suggested that using a thermal gradient -in other words giving a path for heat to escape seems to be helpful in some way. A bit like allowing air to get to a fire perhaps- you are making a draught (courant d'aire) that makes the fire burn brighter.

But that seems a bit fanciful to me. Obviously admitting water suddenly to a pipe next to a hot reactor makes a thermal shock- and these along with pressure and EM 'shocks' are probably helpful.

Water may help to thermalise 'strange particles' of course. But that is a bit of a worry, since we are mostly water too. The idea that LENR reactions can produce exotic rays that are potentially dangerous is just the kind of thing that hostile interests would use to hinder its adoption. So I think we should assume that normal levels of 'impossible physics' apply, not abnormal ones, until we see otherwise.

• I'm lost. When you speak of water cooling, are you speaking of Rossi's hot cat? Because if so, one of the most compelling arguments that the whole thing was a fraud is that Rossi did not include forced cooling in what was supposed to be a very exothermic device that glowed white hot. Nobody with the slightest knowledge of heat transfer physics would design it that way. If this was about something else, disregard. I don't have time to follow all the discussions in detail.

As to high temperature calorimeters, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Giancarlo and associates performed an elegant design and demonstration of what Rossi SHOULD have done, including forced fooling and an excellent calibration, neither of which Rossi ever had, here:

https://gsvit.wordpress.com/20…te-calorimetria-a-flusso/ (use Google translate)

• Quote from Mary Yugo

I'm lost. When you speak of water cooling, are you speaking of Rossi's hot cat? Because if so, one of the most compelling arguments that the whole thing was a fraud is that Rossi did not include forced cooling in what was supposed to be a very exothermic device that glowed white hot. Nobody with the slightest knowledge of heat transfer physics would design it that way. If this was about something else, disregard. I don't have time to follow all the discussions in detail.

No, I was not speaking of Rossi's hot cat, but of older models and pre-2011 prototypes that used water calorimetry.

As to high temperature calorimeters, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Giancarlo and associates performed an elegant design and demonstration of what Rossi SHOULD have done, including forced fooling and an excellent calibration, neither of which Rossi ever had, here:

I support completely the usage of water calorimeters.

No, I was not speaking of Rossi's hot cat, but of older models and pre-2011 prototypes that used water calorimetry.

I would not support the statement that evidence of these working is better than of the later versions. The calorimetry was rougher and in all cases well documented it turns out not to imply extra heat - for one reason or another.

• THHuxley,

I am not saying that there is scientific evidence of that (of course if there was we would not be discussing this subject on LENR-Forum), but it is my opinion that those contraptions were sincere, or in other words that Rossi himself thought that excess heat was produced, at least at the time.

• Well, THH, thing about all the public tests, promoted and somewhat supervised by Lewan with participation from the late Kullander, Essen and Levi, is that they all have in common giant loopholes via which the output power measurement could have been (and probably was) faked. In order to make that work, Rossi had to prevent Lewan from somehow working out a way to calibrate that output measurement system. And Rossi did just that. He ridiculed and short circuited calls for calibration. How and why Lewan and the Swedes allowed him to get away with this is the shameful puzzle in this whole bizarre story. I have my theories about the nature of the cheating, which we have discussed ad nauseam before. But, had Lewan refused to proceed absent proper and well supervised calibration, Rossi's meteoric career into multimillion dollar fraud and conning would have probably ended right there. Without support from Lewan and the Swedes, Rossi would have become a folk figure like Howard Johnson, Dennis Lee, Bedini and other free energy whack jobs and it is unlikely that anyone like Darden would have believed him.

I think Lewan et al looked at what happened to Krivit, who was shut out of further participation and interviews, simply for asking the right questions. They were terrified that this would happen to them, they (more or less) trusted Rossi, so they didn't force the calibration (nor the replication and independent testing) issues. I would love to know the details of what they were thinking at the time because it would give insight into how otherwise capable and smart people are made into incompetent morons by a clever con man. Unfortunately, they won't indulge anyone's curiosity about this. Lewan seems sort of "in shock" about the whole thing. Deep down, he probably knows the Rossi scam is basically over but he can't bring himself to admit it publicly yet. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt: that he hasn't stomached the gross absurdity of the claims for an ecat "QuarkX" with the magical powers Rossi said it has. Essen, Levi and the Swedes are simply silent. Strange thing to be if they still think they participated in testing the greatest and most valuable invention of the current two centuries!

BTW, the above post, which must seem at least arguable today, even to die hard Rossi fans, could not have been published in any ecat-related forum, not even ecatnews.com, in 2011 and probably 2012. It would have been thoroughly censored. Censorship of these discussions was possibly another reason Rossi got as far as he did.

• Alan Smith,

This thread may have long gone off-topic, but since it has for the most part become about figuring out what Rossi did and since you seem informed: do you have informations about the experiments of Rossi and Focardi in the ENEA nuclear facility of lake Brasimone in Italy (between Bologna and Florence) highlighted in bold font below?

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=806&cpage=15

The experiment for the search of gravitons by Focardi mentioned above:
    http://i.imgur.com/lJbE7Bbl.png
    http://link.springer.com/chapt…1007/978-88-470-2113-6_46

• Alan Smith,

That is unfortunate. From the wording it almost seems that they have had the chance to put an E-Cat in the well under the lake that was used in the experiment of Focardi with a gravimeter many years ago. Not that it would confirm or disprove anything, in absence of more details.

• Official Post

About using AC triphasis Alan already wrote a good paper in this sense..Ni could be moved by magnetic field, less Li because paramagnetic , we have to try.
    For example, at ambiant temperature with glass tube, water inside with 5% micropowder and 3 wired wounded as dogbone, then we will see how behaves the powder.

Alan, could you do that ?

Hi David. I did it. The image is a single frame from a movie. Interesting what happens. 1 gram of 20micron Ni powder was suspended in 200ml of neat ethyl alchohol in a glass beaker. First of all I build an interlaced double coil around the outside of the beaker and passed around 20A total through the two coils which were fed from opposite ends to create opposing fields using 15kHz square-wave DC. This really didn't work- not enough turns on the coil. So I tried something simpler. I fixed two powerful Neo magnets back-to-back into a vertical drill and spun them at 600rpm. This gives 600 field polarity changes per minute. Positioning the suspended mix of Ni powder very close you see the following happen.

The general tendency of the Ni powder is to collect nearest the magnet as might be expected. The drift btw is clockwise around the edge of the beaker. Between roughly 12 o'clock in the picture and the RHS of the 'nickel snowdrift' there is a steady stream of Ni particles to join the heap.
    The interesting thing (to me) is that some particles are ejected on the LHS of the big clump (at 6 o'clock) and either circle around and rejoin towards the RHS again, or drift right across to the 10 o'clock zone where eventually they rejoin the circulation and get back to the main cluster.
    Under the influence of the field there is a tendency for the Ni particles to agglutinate into clusters as can be seen. This is no surprise since Ni is ferromagnetic and should show induced magnetism.

My conclusion though is that a powerful and changing magnetic field can cause turbulent 'dynamo' motion in a Ni particles at room temperature. A better set-up would show this more clearly. What happens at above the Curie temperature of Ni and when there might be more induced electrical charge as might happen in a reactor is of course, still unknown.

• To complement Alan's picture, here is a short movie on agitation of Ni powder in a glass tube:

https://drive.google.com/open?…B4lzXLFc9dNUNyM0d4SFV3WUE

Glass vial diameter is ~25 mm, height ~100 mm. Ni powder particles size is 20-50 mkm. Magnets - neodimium, N35, D8xL6 mm. Grey powder at the vial's bottom - LiAlH4. It was separated from the mixed fuel powder by movement of Ni powder with magnets.

The simplest way to constantly agitate Ni powder inside the tube chamber - is to periodically switch current in two DC coils separated by a small distance over the tube.
    As can be seen in the movie, with sharp switching of magnets - the Ni powder just jumps between two magnets. With gradual switching of the strength of the magnetic field between magnets, one can achieve "flying powder" effect, and even "fluid-like" motion of the powder. The same coils can be used for heating as well.

Note that with two magnets the very fine structures of Ni powder can be formed and maintained, such as spikes, needles and fibers spreading over large distances and with diameters close to the powder particles size and up. (The smallest Ni fibers in the movie are ~ 50 mkm.)

This technique greatly increases the surface area of Ni powder and can also help to prevent its sintering.
    This magnetic agitation can be used during hydrogen loading into Ni powder, as it is performed at temperatures lower than Curie temperature of Ni of ~360 C.

For magnetic agitation of the fuel mix at high temperatures, the Cobalt powder can be added to the fuel, with its Curie temperature being of over 1100 C (compared to ~360 C for Ni).

As David Fojt mentioned above, Cobalt rods can also be used inside fuel chamber as magnetic field concentrators and also as permanent magnets to shape the magnetic field in a particular way.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.