Gold From Mats Lewan’s Impossible Invention Book (Engineer48)

• If you don't know why, you have not been paying attention. Rossi has never agreed to any definitive tests. Unless he could find a way to spoof your test, he would simply refuse. Go take your money elsewhere.

You would not do business with him, he would not do business with you. He rejected many opportunities where those involved wanted to check things independent. It goes way back, before 2011. It's a deep habit with him.

You no trust me, I no trust you.

My opinion is that Darden made a decision that it was worth $11.5 million to them to find out. Part of this would be a bet that this was real technology, but merely with a paranoid inventor.

What was the possibility of that? 1%? Okay, 1% of a possible trillion dollar benefit. Gee, why weren't investors lined up to take that risk? Okay, 0.1%. Still worth a billion dollars.

But people mostly don't make bets like that except when they buy lottery tickets, which are weird because the expected payoff is generally negative, though sometimes a lottery goes into positive territory. And then tons of people buy tickets and the expected return still declines. An pepole don't buy $11.5 million dollar lottery tickets. Unless. ... they have a lot of money. And, uh, who has a lot of money here? And decided to put it into LENR, an enormously risky field?

The thinking among experts about Rossi -- set aside knee-jerk pseudoskeptics -- was definitely that the possibility of reality was higher than 0.1%, possibly higher than 1%. This was knowing all about the negatives.

But then, as well, Darden decided that IH needed to know, not just guess or gamble. That, as well, was worth $11.5 million for them, and the proof is in the pudding. With their bold move, and even when it was failing to generate workable devices, they then attracted $50 million from Woodford for real LENR research. It paid off! And yet people continue to think they were deluded idiots, if they had only paid attention to me, they would not have made that mistake.

They may have made mistakes, but overall, they got exactly what they wanted. They wanted answers, and they created the conditions to get them.

• Ah, Mary Yugo. Never say die, pretend to be a skeptic but make up stories that have no explanatory power, simply to make others wrong, and believe your own stories. Brilliant plan, eh?

@Abd: nonsense. All Darden had to do was ask for a proper short and comparatively cheap test by competent people of his own choosing.

Mary, you have the crazy idea that Darden would put $1.5 million of his own money (because that is probably what he did in 2012) without doing his research?

I have not confirmed all the details, but there are well-known people in LENR, highly connected, who witnessed Rossi demos well before 2011. Any move toward independence in measurement, Rossi vanished. This was known behavior. I'm pretty sure that Darden consulted with these people, they are "heavy-duty," you would never see one of them on a blog. These are the kind of people who drive Sifferkoll crazy.

Consider the story about the meeting between Rossi and Darden. Rossi kicked him out of his office, apparently. Until 2013, and the boffo Validation Test, Rossi could have backed out of the agreement simply by returning the $1.5 million. And I'm sure he would have. IH asked for independent experts to be present at that Ferrara test:

56. Rossi further manipulated the Validation process by ensuring that his friend and colleague, Penon, served as the ERV for the Validation testing. Industrial Heat requested that “one of the big testing companies” work alongside Penon in the measurement and validation of the test. Rossi vehemently objected, insisting that having one of the big testing companies involved would “create big problems” for him.

Now, we know that Rossi backed out of quite friendly opportunities, before 2011, because they were too independent. This is not generally public knowledge, but it's known and I'm sure that IH knew this. It was very obvious to the CMNS community that Rossi was not allowing independent tests. IH pushed it by asking. My guess is that Rossi almost bailed at that point, but they talked him down, no, it's okay, we have agreed to your expert and we won't back out.

They already knew that for any reason, or almost no reason. Rossi might back out, he would have said something like, "Sorry, we aren't ready so here is your money back." Once Validation took place, Rossi could not back out on the License, in spite of his attempts to do so later.

To your primitive mind, "allowing Rossi to cheat them" would be a horrible thing. By the way, I literally mean "the primitive mind," i.e,. the amygdala, that knee-jerk protects us. Great thing, the amygdala. Very useful when faced with tigers and crooks with guns. Or sort of. Trained response that sets aside the amygdala's reactions is more powerful, but for most of us most of the time, it works well enough in emergencies. It is lousy in long-term situations that require thinking outside the box. With the reactions of the amygdala, I'd never have gotten my iPhone back, see https://www.quora.com/Whats-th…nswer/Abd-Ul-Rahman-Lomax

Make "big problems for him," by insisting on those independent engineers merely being there, it would be a certainty. He would not have gone ahead. And what, then, would have been gained? Not $1.5 million, Rossi probably would have returned it. Without interest, I assume.

If this demand for independent testing had been made, as you would have it, Mary, before the Agreement was signed and $1.5 million was paid, it is very obvious: Rossi would have stopped talking with them. They had decided that it was important to "crush the tests." Read Darden's interviews, this guy is for real, it's obvious. Once gain, Darden's strategy was proven to work. This is very difficult for someone like you to understand, but consider the bank account of IH. It benefited. Greatly. Can you understand that $50 million > $11,5 million? (And we don't know about the Chinese. Some say there was another $100 million. If so, it's in some different holding company, possibly in China. Darden operates like that, study Cherokee and how it works. Very successful. Mostly local control.

Rossi is even pissed about that, obviously, how come he isn't getting any of that money? But he didn't sue IH Holdings International, Ltd, I would assume that Annesser told him "No way." Annesser put together Rossi's ravings and put it into legal form, sort of.

It's what Dick Smith did to Defkalion. Rossi, like Defkalion, could not allow such a test and would have refused it.

Yes. Precisely. They knew that.

That would have told Darden everything he needed to know because any honest inventor wanting a big investor would have allowed a black box test. This sort of thinking is exactly how those who think like you and Darden get bamboozled by crooks like Rossi. They depend on that sort of thinking and as I said many times, their main talent is in finding people who think that way -- like a conman's mark. You are a textbook hallmark example, Abd.

Funny, I;m thinking back. Who bamboozled me?

Ah. Look at that iPhone story. I gave the thief $100. But, ah, I got the phone back, my $100 and the $40 for the taxi driver was paid back, and I made a profit of $20. Really dumb, eh? I should not have let him get away with my $100. Many people have told me that it was a terrible thing to do. They would have had me take the loss of $400. Instead of giving a "low-life" $100.

Darden made money. Really, that seems to be very difficult for you to recognize, Mary. It doesn't compute. We already knew that Rossi could not be trusted, By "we," I mean the entire CMNS field. But it was divided among those who thought he had something real, and those that didn't. And the situation was having an impact on research. Why put money into PdD, for example, based on watts of power, if lucky, when this guy might come out next year with kilowatts? Or a freakin' megawatt? (though, really, that didn't impress anyone with sense. If you can make kilowatt reactors, you can make megawatt ones, it's simply a matter of scale. Rossi's "megawatt" was a device for making tests difficult! And expensive.)

The public buzz on Rossi was much more positive than the private opinions of researchers. Pseudoskeptics had discredited themselves with years of knee-jerk "bogosity." The one benefit that is true for the Rossi affair is that it got a lot of people looking at LENR. However, then there is the down side of Rossi being exposed as a fraud. It's difficult to assess, overall. They say that any publicity is good publicity. We will see.

The Mary Yugo way: Rossi would still be making his claims, he would be selling licenses to suckers -- and hopeful people willing to take a chance that maybe it's real. And IH very likely would not have attracted the additional investment.

I've had many discussions with Mary over the years. Mary flat out does not understand how the human mind works, how to live a powerful life, and is stuck investing much of her time, for years, on make-wrong, completely useless. Mary has no concept of what genuine skepticism looks like, Truzzi-style. If I want Mary to come unglued, hey, might be fun, I could point out how homeopathy is shown to be effective in clinical studies. Mary will then point out that it is ineffective in double-blind studies. She might think I don't know that, but, of course, I do. I could mention Sniffex and how dowsing rods work (and don't work). I could mention Power Balance bracelets and how I might make a little girl happy by buying her a Chinese knock-off for a couple of dollars. She'll think it's child abuse. Mary, do you have any kids?

Really, I'm 72 and if the crooks are going to "banboozle" me, they'd better get to work. Ah, here's one. Was it Mary that wrote "hallmark"? Not Hallmark. Landmark.

• A few hours ago Longview wrote:
    [ Now what's going on here? The "Master" with unviewable history, and our
    "Super Moderator" at odds over something obscure. Please summarize for the rest of us, when it is all worked out. ]

Longview and others.
    While not addressed to me I thought I would respond to the above "work it out comment" as I remember some recent history.

A while ago we had a forum member named Thomas Clarke. He was able to post using his real name on other forums without difficulty.
    While he was here; he wrote a definitive and often cited paper on issues with the Lugano report.
    (It was definitive in that for me at least it drove the last nail in that E-cat coffin).

Until this paper and at this point in time we still have/had some folks sitting on the fence. Meaning that some agree and some don't agree that Rossi not only guides the tests, but they have reached the conclusion that the esteemed Dr. Rossi salted the samples and that the emissivity was off by a large margin of error. Not to mention radiation.

Anyway to the point.
    Because of .... A ranting lunatic who does not understand boundaries made an effort to discredit him (IRL as it's sometimes called).
    This important voice was silenced.
    We have several people that believe people should use their real names, while others use pseudonyms. Please understand that if you disagree with something or someone says it is common decency to respect boundries.

Hopefully we have seen the end of this stuff. It's time to call it out and stop it. We need to judge arguments not people, and silencing anyone is not only wrong but indefensible. I hope that what ever the moderators do is in the best interest of the forum and the continuing discussion. They do not have to account to me whenever someone breaks the forum rules. They can handle it as they seem fit. We are guests.

• Until this paper and at this point in time we still have/had some folks sitting on the fence. Meaning that some agree and some don't agree that Rossi not only guides the tests, but they have reached the conclusion that the esteemed Dr. Rossi salted the samples and that the emissivity was off by a large margin of error. Not to mention radiation.

The Clarke paper was not the first major critique, the problems with the Lugano report were covered before the end of 2014. The possibility of salted samples was obvious, and allowing Rossi to be the one to take the samples was a setup for that. How did that happen? I think Rossi created it. He always wanted, I suspected by the end of 2011, everything to be inconclusive, suspicious. Why? I don't know. But it has long been obvious, too many coincidences, too many incidents for this to just be some accident.

Now, suspicion isn't proof and isn't even strong evidence. We knew all that.

The biggest or most obvious problem with Lugano was that they calculated that the external temperature was 1400 C, but actual visual observation was apparently of an object far cooler than that. More detailed study of the calorimetric method, looking at emissivity, simply confirmed that. If the heat was much less, possibly no XP at all, then what does this say about the isotopic results? Do they prove that the no-heat analysis is false?

No. The most obvious explanation becomes salting. The results were dramatic and clear enough that analytical error is unlikely, though I suppose it is still possible.

Then we have the May 2016 sample given to Bo Hoistad by Rossi. Same analysis, same anomalies. But, wait! The Lugano sample was after a month. The Doral sample (if that is what it was), was after a year. Same results?

Rather unexpected, eh? Unless, of course, this was a salted sample prepared back then, in 2014, and simply provided again to Bo. Simple. Not unexpected.

Rossi is not a scientist and never played by the rules of science, in spite of what some of his fans think. Because of what is coming out in Rossi v. Darden, it is looking like he played it fast and loose and may have gone a bridge too far. We will see.

So sequence: first comes the heat results. Then the analysis and what those results mean. It well could mean "fraud." From this alone, though, not enough evidence for criminal fraud, probably, unless something is discovered that likely will not be found. Nobody clearly was defrauded by Lugao. Fooling a bunch of "professors" is fun, not criminal. Rossi was always careful to say that the Lugano results were not his conclusions, but those of the professors. And, hey, "nuclear engineer."

Watching Keystone Cops professors, one thing. But Rossi also hated big money and corporations. Fooling them -- or trying to, I'm not convinced that they were actually fooled -- when they had paid him a lot of money, and they were paying his friends, Penon and Fabiani -- with this weird "fake independent customer" who, whatever he was, wasn't independent in practice -- yes. A bridge too far. Way too far.

• Adb, I am aware of the earlier critiques. I am usually behind in these threads as I try to read/understand/verify most if not all of the posts regardless of down/up votes. For me I am aware of my own confirmation bias. I could not find fault with the TC papers math nor conclusions. To me it was either yes or no at that exact point.
    While I can still respect peoples opinions this chapter seems closed to me. I follow only for E-cat for the saga at this point.

LENR is another matter and my mind is still open.

• The Clarke paper was not the first major critique, the problems with the Lugano report were covered before the end of 2014.

While I agree with you, IH appears to present an entirely different picture in their filings, claiming that such critiques came later.

The possibility of salted samples was obvious, and allowing Rossi to be the one to take the samples was a setup for that.

Rossi didn't take the samples. The Lugano report describes what happened. Rossi was there, but the samples were taken/selected by the Lugano scientists.

How did that happen? I think Rossi created it. He always wanted, I suspected by the end of 2011, everything to be inconclusive, suspicious. Why? I don't know. But it has long been obvious, too many coincidences, too many incidents for this to just be some accident.

I doubt it, but that is what is required to entirely dismiss the Lugano test.

Now, suspicion isn't proof and isn't even strong evidence. We knew all that.

Right.

The most obvious explanation becomes salting. The results were dramatic and clear enough that analytical error is unlikely, though I suppose it is still possible.

Then we have the May 2016 sample given to Bo Hoistad by Rossi. Same analysis, same anomalies. But, wait! The Lugano sample was after a month. The Doral sample (if that is what it was), was after a year. Same results?

Rather unexpected, eh? Unless, of course, this was a salted sample prepared back then, in 2014, and simply provided again to Bo. Simple. Not unexpected.

That thought also crossed my mind. However, the leaked results from Bo Hoistad did not suggest that they were a Doral sample. Rossi has never suggested that either. And to my knowledge, neither has IH. You hedged yourself here by your parenthetical, and I think rightly so.

• It would be interesting to know what the fuel composition was that IH supplied for the test. Did they send pure natural nickel with some normal isotope LAH, or was it spiked with something that would/could show up (or be clearly absent) if any switcheroo foolishness was attempted? How is it that the chain of custody of the fuel was known to be broken en route to Lugano, if the fuel was only made of mundane Ni and LAH? (Why would it matter if the chain of custody was broken, if the fuel is made of ordinary materials, other than IP leaks).

• The Clarke paper was not the first major critique, the problems with the Lugano report were covered before the end of 2014. The possibility of salted samples was obvious, and allowing Rossi to be the one to take the samples was a setup for that. How did that happen? I think Rossi created it. He always wanted, I suspected by the end of 2011, everything to be inconclusive, suspicious. Why? I don't know. But it has long been obvious, too many coincidences, too many incidents for this to just be some accident.

I was quite excited to first read the Lugano report, but was disappointed after reading it was quite clear they didn't do a proper calibration. I figured they would get it right this time around after not doing a proper calibration in TPR1, but they didn't. I didn't understand the technical issues for how it was ultimately debunked at that point and held out some hope. Alas, it was utterly invalid.

Both samples were almost certainly salted. In fact, the second salting proves the first and vice versa. There were theories (Axil I think) that the secret sauce of NI62 was already in the tube and mixed and was shook out of the tube. With the 1MW show, there was no need for anything like that. Given the most optimistic estimates of excess heat (in line with Parkhomov's supposed 1 month of excess heat), there is just simply no way all those isotopic shifts happened in Lugano. They didn't happen in any other experiment, but it magically happens for AR. He admitted to "contamination" of a previous sample with copper, but allowed people to go on and on with theories of copper production from NI. He probably salted that one too, but had to fess up due to the perfectly natural isotopic distribution of copper (oops).

• It would be interesting to know what the fuel composition was that IH supplied for the test. Did they send pure natural nickel with some normal isotope LAH, or was it spiked with something that would/could show up (or be clearly absent) if any switcheroo foolishness was attempted? How is it that the chain of custody of the fuel was known to be broken en route to Lugano, if the fuel was only made of mundane Ni and LAH? (Why would it matter if the chain of custody was broken, if the fuel is made of ordinary materials, other than IP leaks).

The switcheroo likely happened when AR extracted the fuel from the reactor (dumping Ni62 and Li6). Some have said AR was known to have purchased samples of both Ni62 and Li6 in the past.

I could point out how homeopathy is shown to be effective in clinical studies. Mary will then point out that it is ineffective in double-blind studies. She might think I don't know that, but, of course, I do. I could mention Sniffex and how dowsing rods work (and don't work). I could mention Power Balance bracelets and how I might make a little girl happy by buying her a Chinese knock-off for a couple of dollars. She'll think it's child abuse. Mary, do you have any kids?

Abd, you're all hot air (and an astounding amount of it too!). Tell ya what, next time you have a serious infection or cancer (which I hope you never have), rely on homeopathy and eschew conventional medicine. Find yourself threatened by the possibility of mines or explosives? Get out of it with a Sniffex. And if you need to lift heavy weights, rely on a Power Band, but be sure to check with your chiropractor first! There is a Darwin's Law.

Abd here has advanced the idea (you might consider excuse) that IH had to do what they did to knock the destructive planet Rossi Ni-H meme on the head..

LOL, Blech! What Darden did was stupidity and lack of concern for OPM (other people's money), not altruism. In the modern US, CEO's always win, even if they lose. Even if they are fired ("golden parachutes"). No matter what they do.

There was no way to test Rossi's technology "at a cost of less than $100K." How would he get his hands on it to test? He did not actually have any access to the technology until he spent $11.5 million, in 2013. What Mary Yugo is ignoring is the actual situation on the ground, and she is second-guessing experts, people who obviously know very well what they are doing, and that are able to inspire confidence in others to support them.

And their expertise is evidenced by the facts that they misspent $11.5M of OPM, they have nothing whatever to show for it, and they are embroiled in a costly lawsuit where there is at least a small (very small) chance that they could lose another $89M. Brilliant strategy it was. Very bright people those experts Abd extolls. If Rossi would not go with the cheap fast test, that should have been reply enough. Just like Steorn, Defkalion, Carl Tilley and all the other pretenders to what amounts to free energy. They all crumble at the proposal of proper and independent testing. Celani allowed testing and crumbled And likely, Brillouin and Miley will also, one way or another.

Steve Krivit, for example, who has developed a whole conspiracy theory about mainstream LENR researchers, that they are out to prove that cold fusion is "d-d fusion," his bete noir. So then he alleges data falsification, etc., and has attempted to create employer sanctions against at least one target.

Krivit is a brilliant reporter (vastly more astute and perspicacious than Lewan) who took the trouble to visit Rossi, take photos and video, and research the Italian newspapers and literature thoroughly, proving without the slightest doubt that Rossi was a criminal. He also showed via interviews on Youtube that Levi was either incompetent or dishonest. Darden would have been vastly better off and his company would now be more than $11.5M + legal costs richer had he consulted Krivit instead of Levi and some unknown and undistinguished Swedish professors. What I fail to understand about Krivit is his support for Widom Larsen theory but I don't know much about that.

Mary, you have the crazy idea that Darden would put $1.5 million of his own money (because that is probably what he did in 2012) without doing his research?

How do you know Darden did that? CEO's don't use their own money when their fund they control is measured in billions! Did you just divine this with a dowsing rod? By the way, what research do you, with your fertile imagination, think he performed that led him to the concept that a $100+ million set of contracts with Rossi was a good idea? (ROTFWL!)

Darden made money. [on the Rossi matter]

That remains to be seen. But if he made money on idiotic claims following a lack of due diligence, he will lose his reputation and a lot of the investors will pull out and ask (or sue for) their money back. You really think the Chinese will keep their money in IH, or whatever the new company is, after Rossi crashes in flames and Brillouin continues, as it has consistently done for 4 years, to accomplish absolutely nothing credible? Why would they? There is no high power LENR and that is what they were told they were investing in. I doubt that the Chinese will be content to spend $100M or more on arguments about whether inconsistent low power results of Pd-D tests are real and junk science like Celani did.

The rest of Abd's post to me is incoherent drivel and ad homs. And way way too much text. Typical.

A while ago we had a forum member named Thomas Clarke. He was able to post using his real name on other forums without difficulty.

Yes, until some low life sleezebag morons stalked him into leaving.

• Official Post

The switcheroo likely happened when AR extracted the fuel from the reactor (dumping Ni62 and Li6). Some have said AR was known to have purchased samples of both Ni62 and Li6 in the past.

I am pretty sure Parkhomov never did a switcheroo. Having met him face to face and discussed his work and much more, I found him to be positively saintly. Before anyone mentions it (that's you. Mary) I and AN Other ( skeptical data expert) spent 2 days checking his raw data and found that the alleged (and apparently) photoshopped graph was caused by a software artifact - we could reproduce at will by doing what P did- having too many data points. Thus I think it is possible to assume that transmutation occurs even without significant XSH. In Transition metals and in Pd/D etc.

Otherwise everybody here might as well pack up and go home.

• I am pretty sure Parkhomov never did a switcheroo. Having met him face to face and discussed his work and much more, I found him to be positively saintly. Before anyone mentions it (that's you. Mary) I and AN Other ( skeptical data expert) spent 2 days checking his raw data and found that the alleged (and apparently) photoshopped graph was caused by a software artifact - we could reproduce at will by doing what P did- having too many data points. Thus I think it is possible to assume that transmutation occurs even without significant XSH. In Transition metals and in Pd/D etc.

Alan, not sure what you are talking about with Parkhomov. I was referring to AR doing a switcharoo, not Parkhomov.

Not true on the software artifact since Parkhomov admitted to the photoshopping issuing a mea culpa.

• So here is the mail Parkhomov sent to Stefano Marcellini explaining what he did and why. You'll have to admit that it doesn't exactly sound like "my software was crap" or "the graph was caused by a software artifact - that could be reproduced at will but sadly never made it into Microsoft's bug list for any version of Excel ever". Not even slightly.

Dear Stefano Marcellini, I admire your observation and I repent of the sin.The matter is that the laptop on which there was a record of temperature, worked steadily only when was disconnected from the power supply network and was powered from the accumulator [I assume he means battery]. Therefore sometimes it was necessary to interrupt record for recharge of the accumulator. It occurred at temperatures about 460, 1020, 1120, 1160 and 1200 oC. At this time temperature was recorded on the paper recorder and measured by pointer indicator. These devices showed the values of temperature close to the specified. That the plot looked beautiful and I didn’t cause the questions distracting from the main point, such peculiar interpolations were made. It, of course a great sin and I sincerely repent. However it doesn’t influence results of research in any way. I assure you that in results of measurement of power consumption and pressure of any shifts it wasn’t made.I send you the Excel file with the data obtained during experiment on which pauses in registration of temperature are designated by admissions of rows.Once again I admire your sharp observation and high professionalism. I hope that this incident won’t make the attitude towards me and my researches hostile. Alexander Parkhomov

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.