Gold From Mats Lewan’s Impossible Invention Book (Engineer48)

• Alan:

Interested? Could have fooled me Mary. You started from the position 'it's all crap' ...

Nonsense, Alan. I started examining Rossi's claims when I saw something in Google news about him in early 2011. Before that, I only heard of cold fusion as failure. I checked out Rossi's claims, just as I looked at Sniffex's and Steorn's, with an open mind and a great interest in the evidence. I only became critical of Rossi after it became clear to me that his experiments had major, obvious and glaring infelicities and that despite being told about them politely and plainly, he actively and vociferously resisted fixing them. After he insulted Krivit, based on an entirely reasonable and polite critique, instead of responding, I began to be highly suspicious of Rossi. Then I examined that lengthy paper about the thermoelectric stuff from DOD/CERL and noted that nobody had ever said they saw or tested the (I am sure imaginary) prototype, I could start to understand Rossi's modus operandi. Reading a few of Krivit's research-acquired documents about Petroldragon was also quite revealing. The so-called demo of the megawatt plant in November 2011, complete with the anonymous customer and the redoubtable NATO colonel and absolutely no credible data from the huge messy kludge, that cinched it for me. Rossi had to be a fraud. And guess how that turned out. Similarly with Defkalion and can Brillouin be far behind?

Ever since the early Rossi fiascos and misstatements and lies, I watched in wonderment as people who should know better, like for example Jed Rothwell and Brian Josephson, got sucked up into Rossi and Defkalion lies, farces and fantasies. And yes, all of that and what still goes on is still interesting.

What interested me about Rossi was the involvement of simple calorimetry which I know something about. I know nothing about electrochemistry and never said I did. I am therefore not interested in Pd-D work unless it shows replicated, current spectacular results and I've seen absolutely no evidence of that. If and when it does, I will try to learn more about it. That ain't now.

ETA: Oh and Alan, I did read several of the papers Jed recommended to me as smoking guns for high power LENR. Not one bore out the claims. I found many densely written with illegible or poorly structured figures and graphs and, to me, incomprehensible complex derived units on the axes. OK, maybe I just don't know how to read them but they made no sense. And I pretty much discount isoperibolic calorimetry because it is nothing but point temperature measurement (technicality for Jed: even so when the points are spread out over a small transducer) and that sort of measurement is liable to all kinds of errors, mismeasurement and the sort of calibration problem Kirk Shanahan talks about. Of course, Rossi never "bothered" with proper calibration. Hey, he already knew what it would show-- just ask him.

• Wellspotted gameover! - Pulsating Hydrogen is possibly important.

From studies loosely related to LENR (for example see doi:10.1021/acs.iecr.5b00686) it seems that for some reason only a small fraction of the hydrogen loaded is "hot", so it could be that a continuous rechange of hydrogen in the metal allows greater chances of success. Pulses may help the loading-unloading process mentioned by David Fojt compared to a constant flow.

I have read unconfirmed rumors that the famous early (2011) aluminum foil-wrapped E-Cats used an electronically controlled valve for the discharge of hydrogen.

• Try this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_hydride

Surface:
    Hydrogen atoms bond strongly with a nickel surface, with hydrogen molecules disassociating in order to do so.

Disassociation of hydrogen requires enough energy to cross a barrier.
    On a Ni(111) crystal surface the barrier is 46 kJ/mol,
    On a Ni(100) crystal surface the barrier is 52 kJ/mol.
    On a Ni(110) crystal surface the barrier is 36 kJ/mol.

The surface layer of hydrogen on nickel can be released by heating.
    Ni(111) lost hydrogen between 320 and 380 K.
    Ni(100) lost hydrogen between 220 and 360 K.
    Ni(110) lost hydrogen between 230 and 430 K.

In order to dissolve inside the nickel, hydrogen must migrate from on the surface through the face of a nickel crystal.
    This does not take place in a vacuum, but can take place when the hydrogen coated nickel surface is impacted by other molecules.
    The molecules do not have to be hydrogen, but they appear to work like hammers punching the hydrogen atoms through the nickel surface to the subsurface.
    An activation energy of 100 kJ/mol is required to penetrate the surface.

• Official Post

I have read unconfirmed rumors that the famous early (2011) aluminum foil-wrapped E-Cats used an electronically controlled valve for the discharge of hydrogen.

It is now confirmed. This is a picture from the E.ON factory in Ferrara. There is an electronic pressure sensor (I think) on the RHS of the E-cat - or perhaps a heater connector. But on the gas-piping on the LHS of the picture is a solenoid-controlled valve- probably a dump-valve. Unless of course these are all water-valves. There is a third red pipe behind - with another manual valve - that could be hydrogen.

What do you think? BTW, This particular photo is previously unseen, unless someone knows better.

• Pulsating Hydrogen is possibly important

Can be inproved by a cardiac pacemaker...

What do you think? BTW, This particular photo is previously unseen, unless someone knows better.

Is that the famous O-Cat?

To be serious again: A compilation of the latest NiH papers/patents shows, that the absolute amount of Hydrogen is not important. Important is the structure that holds it, which must be in the right dimension to produce inverse Rydberg matter (IRM). The next step is the ignition of IRM. Laser - Holmlid / Pyroelectric effect etiam / sinx2 waves causing surface plasmons / classical high T.

Remember that mfp showed an effect at lowering the pressure, which caused Ni to "sweat out" hydrogen.

• It is now confirmed. This is a picture from the E.ON factory in Ferrara. There is an electronic pressure sensor (I think) on the RHS of the E-cat - or perhaps a heater connector. But on the gas-piping on the LHS of the picture is a solenoid-controlled valve- probably a dump-valve. Unless of course these are all water-valves. There is a third red pipe behind - with another manual valve - that could be hydrogen.

Good photo, thanks for posting. This one in particular should be previously unseen, but I recall seeing a higher quality version of another one ("B". "A" still not seen yet) that has also been showed in a presentation by Sergio Focardi.
    This reactor should be the "donut" that Focardi has talked about in a few occasions and that according to him was supposed to contain water with an internal sealed capsule of nickel powder and apparently it failed almost immediately. However...

I am not sure about the exact function of all the visible components (the instrument on the top seems for example like an analog temperature gauge), but according to another account (could be again an unconfirmed rumor, or that I may have misunderstood what was said or that I do not remember the details correctly) the device was supposed to operate by making nickel micropowder make turns in the loop at high speed under a hydrogen gas atmosphere and with the application of electrical discharges. The knowledge of this has been one of the reasons of why I gave some consideration to the De Bellis patent discussed in a different forum thread since the principles of operation are (would be) in some ways similar.

***Just recalled that Brian Ahern has a patent where hydrogenated metal particles (nano particles in his case) can be suspended in a dielectric medium such as water and be subject to high voltage discharge for excess energy:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US20110233061

So it could be that in the Rossi "Donut" above something similar happened instead of using dry powder in a H2 gas atmosphere as I thought.
    I think Rossi and Ahern have not always been enemies if I recall correctly.

12. A method comprising: amplifying an energy release from a dispersion of nanoparticles containing a concentration of hydrogen/deuterium nuclei, the nanoparticles suspended in water/heavy water dielectric medium, an energy input provided by high voltage pulses between two electrodes embedded in the nanoparticle suspension.

Claim 17-18 are more similar to what I thought:

17. A method comprising: amplifying an energy release from a dispersion of hydrated macroparticles containing a dispersion of nanoparticles in a 3-20 nanometer (nm) size regime by fluidizing the nanoparticles in a stream of gas or liquid or by simple mechanical agitation and then subjecting the fluidized particles to excitation by high voltage pulses, ultrasonic agitation and/or terahertz frequency range electromagnetic waves.
    18. The method of claim 17 where a fluidizing gas is hydrogen with a pressure greater than 2 atmospheres.

• Gameover,
    it is clear that's powder couln't be static nor in Ahern nor in Rossi.
    2 electrodes are used to unload more quickly H from Powder as described inside recent russian paper.
    In this case it is not necessary to fly under 1 bar..

Indeed if the powder is suspended in a liquid like water tribocharging effects can not occur and then you would need a more direct form of stimulation. But for dry powders, different story, even if you can still use electrodes for more direct control if you wish, like others do.

Anyway the common theme here seems:

1. Agitating hydrogenated particles in a fluid (gas or liquid)
    2. Application or induction of electrical discharges and/or high voltage potentials on the hydrogenated particles

These can be done in several ways.

It's interesting to note that in the provisional Rossi patent application recently linked by Engineer48 the usage of electrodes has been mentioned. But no particle agitation: could be that the same function is performed by the loading and unloading of the reversible hydride. Or maybe as usual some critical detail have been omitted.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/s…621/PDOC/WO2016018851.pdf

user1815. This is 'A'.

Thanks again for a new interesting photo. If the barrel contained nitric acid that may be for the creation of pits and pores (which is where Rossi thinks that the reactions happen) in the metal particles during the powder preparation. It was also used by Piantelli in the early days on his bars. Many still think they were used as-is. (ha!)

This is an earlier prototype than the "donut". I think here the electrovalve is used in the inlet. The white part at the other end is similar to a fuel filter. Maybe there was some discharge to the outside and Rossi wanted to avoid airborn powder in the environment?

• Official Post

About using AC triphasis Alan already wrote a good paper in this sense..Ni could be moved by magnetic field, less Li because paramagnetic , we have to try.
    For example, at ambiant temperature with glass tube, water inside with 5% micropowder and 3 wired wounded as dogbone, then we will see how behaves the powder.

Alan, could you do that ?

Its a great idea. I can't do it with 3 wires, but its a pretty easy experiment with two running with reversed polarity and at different frequencies. With the right background and lighting it should be possible to see what's going on in the tube

• Alan Smith,

Changing subject slightly, do you think that the red tubes were fakes in the "B" and the "C" photos? Do you know if the photos were "set up"? This is the "B" photo that has been posted some time ago in a different thread: http://i.imgur.com/jZbeGGi.jpg

I am reasonably sure this should be the pressure regulator:

The "A" photo that has been posted previously only shows 1 tube coming from the pressure regulator.

From the "B" photo it also seems that the gas bottle was empty or almost empty.

This other photo from the 2011 Bologna public test instead shows that the right pressure meter (after the regulator) was masked with blue electrical tape.
    This was presumably (according to the speculations) to not show the pressure oscillations caused by the electrovalve. The left side shows that there was pressure inside the bottle:

Original photo here:
    https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_852…0111rossifocardi1652b.jpg

And since we are at it, here is the pressure regulator:

• Official Post

As you say- hard to untangle. But looking at these photograph you can clearly see the Hydrogen hoses are black. The red hose is possibly for something else, as it is looped over the top of the Hydrogen regulator and quite possibly can be seen snaking away across the floor on the LHS of the picture showing that hefty cooling fan in the background.

I would not be too quick to say the Hydrogen cylinder is empty btw - there is a further 'master' shut-off valve at the cylinder outlet which cuts off gas to the regulator assembly. If that valve is shut then the regulator can show 'zero'.

• Haha, true. The most plausible explanation is that there is one single red tube (probably needed for water refill) that makes loops around the pressure regulator and the garbage bin and that bad angle and quality make seem like it is composed of multiple tubes needed for something else.

Good observation about the pressure indicated on the regulator.

Again on discussion about the electrovalve visible in these photos, the first Rossi patent was clear on this matter:

• It's a Fischer-Tropsch catalyst so Bob Higgins told me a day to believe a lot in it.
    Therefore, I am wary of too obvious things to explain LENR as Rydberg matter or hypothetical particle..but may be they are true !
    i think we need inside lattice both NiH and free H.

Hello David: In the other thread we discussed that these catalysts can produce (behind a hole) surface plasmons with an average E-field strenght of 600eV, which can initiate the inverse Rydberg matter (nuclear reaction) inside the nano pores. Many papers of different fields show, that very selective nuclear resonances are active in this (230-900eV) region. 230eV is the lowest for Li!
    I would thereof follow, that you most solve a multidimensional optimization problem, because the sweet spot - where LENR initiates - can be very narrow!

It's sounds reasonable that providing the 230-950eV with an accelerator field is much simpler, than optimizing particle/pore-size specific activation energy etc..
    Further on: If you start with a particle accelerator You can probably much faster tune through a range, which allows to optimize one dimension of the problem.
    (Always assuming that accelerated particles cause the same effects as SPP's...)

• I am experimenting with using a pump for upping the Hydrogen pressure...

I think discussion go replication direction, maybe some thread split?

You can salvage compressor from your fridge. It can do ~20bar easilly. About Ni baking pressure bottles, cange erlenmeyer to ~30mm quartz/alumina etc tube and wrap coil around. Length enough to keep ends could allow epoxy etc. Me356 use 8-9bar hydrogenation at video. EU regulations don't block 200bar H2 bottle, I can go shop and buy H2 inside and rent bottle, then return and pay rent. 20L@200bar H2 is about 60eur + ~1eur/day. My experiments moust expensive part..

• David Fojt,

To my understanding this was the Rossi way in the photos posted in these pages by Alan Smith (year 2008):
    1. Put catalyst powders in a closed tube.
    2. Apply variably changing temperatures within a 150-500°C range.
    3. Inject hydrogen impulsively at a variable rate and a target pressure in the 2-20 bar range.

At the temperatures of these prototypes I don't think that sintering was a too big issue yet (except for hot spots) and agitation of the powder may also have serendipitously occurred during each hydrogen injection pulse, with possibly positive effects on the reaction (for example static charging?).

I do not think that advanced power control was used at the time if not for changing temperatures variably up-down to drive hydrogen off from the lattice to the nanopores. Rossi claims in a recent provisional patent application that the heat can also come from with external chemical heating, so for the anomalous effect itself it must be not necessary to have complex AC power. However it is possible that this effect may have been used in Lugano (as you hypothesized) to induce agitation or movement of the powder that was done in different ways in simpler prototypes.

I must note that all the early prototypes of Rossi were submerged in water and this may or may have not been important. A jacket for the absorption of radiations was an important part of his patent application.

As for Holmlid from what I read around he does not use any special control. Hydrogen is injected through relatively large catalyst pellets, heated with a resistence up to 700°C. Then in his case Rydberg matter and ultra-dense Rydberg matter hydrogen are supposedly produced in the pores and on the surface of the catalysts. From what I understand, after some time anomalous effects start appearing by themselves or it is also possible to shoot a green laser light on the surface of these catalysts to induce them immediately.

Under a very low H2 pressure (used by Holmlid) the potassium alkali promoter of FT catalysts starts sublimating and according to Holmlid their atoms leave the surface of the catalyst in an excited state. This also contributes to the excitation of hydrogen in addition to what already happens in the pores that are on the surface and in the bulk of the catalyst.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.