Thermal Analysis of the Production Plant Process in the 1MW test in Doral, Florida (GiveADogABone)

• It seems to have terminally confused Wyttenbach who is on this thread having a tough time reconciling his certainty that I'm a liar with the facts.

@THH: Do you still believe that chemical reactions are limited by the Carnot law? Or did you in the mean time consult your undergraduate textbook?

Our discussion started with that i said, citation: Chemical reaction are not Carnot bound, because You @THH claimed the Carnot!!! efficieny of the Rossi process must be 20% at most.

I hope at least the other Forum-members know that Carnot is relevant for the generation of mechanical energy only. Further that Carnot describes a circular process and Chemical reactions are never circular! (Except a famous one often shown in student exhibitions.)

Carnot is related to entropy as Chemical reactions are related to entropy. But in most chemical reactions dealing with fuel synthesis the Chemical energy stored in the fuel is much much bigger than any loss due to entropy changes.
    But as a man with a true British history THH is used to images a classical coal power plant where they simply burn the coal... May be we should ask him about the best Carnot factor of a coal plant?

Wyttenbach is a mathematician, nothing to be ashamed of, but I have some mathematicians transfer their experience with mathematics outside of the field.

ABD is a moron as I am a priest of science.., or, I wont tell you, - bad luck.. and improve your guesses.

@THH: Do you still believe that chemical reactions are limited by the Carnot law?

Chemical reactions are not so limited. However, converting heat to chemical energy, the topic of this thread, is so limited with the small correction I've always noted due to entropy changes.

Or did you in the mean time consult your undergraduate textbook?Our discussion started with that i said, citation: Chemical reaction are not Carnot bound, because You @THH claimed the Carnot!!! efficieny of the Rossi process must be 20% at most.

As above, chemical reactions are not Carnot bound because they are not converting heat to something else. However, the specific case of a heat to chemical energy converter (e.g. an endothermic chemical reaction) is so bound. Not for weakly endothermic reactions because the "entropy correction" can have a larger effect than the "heat absorption Carnot limit" which is after all merely a requirement that total entropy increase.

Further that Carnot describes a circular process and Chemical reactions are never circular!

A system that meets the Carnot limit exactly (rather than just obeying it) is thermodynamically reversible. Which is I think what you mean. As are some chemical reactions.

• THHuxley wrote:

Indeed.

@THH: Do you still believe that chemical reactions are limited by the Carnot law? Or did you in the mean time consult your undergraduate textbook?

Wyttenbach is demonstrating that he does not understand the issue. Chemical reactions, per se, are not limited by the Carnot limit, which is about heat engines, and which does govern the conversion of heat energy to chemical energy. It does not govern the reverse. Chemical energy can be converted to heat energy, essentially up to 100%, as I understand the matter.

Our discussion started with that i said, citation: Chemical reaction are not Carnot bound, because You @THH claimed the Carnot!!! efficieny of the Rossi process must be 20% at most.

This is so confused I suspect he is drunk. The issue is not the "Rossi process," the efficiency of the reactor, but of the so-called "customer process," allegedly endothermic. and THH is claiming that this process, as to storing energy in a chemical product, is indeed Carnot-limited. I consider that THH is correct, and that if it were not so, contradictions to the laws of thermodynamics would appear.

I hope at least the other Forum-members know that Carnot is relevant for the generation of mechanical energy only. Further that Carnot describes a circular process and Chemical reactions are never circular! (Except a famous one often shown in student exhibitions.)

There is a confusion here, due to the fact that the Carnot Theory is stated with respect to a heat engine producing mechanical work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_theorem_(thermodynamics)

All heat engines between two heat reservoirs are less efficient than a Carnot heat engine operating between the same reservoirs.
    Every Carnot heat engine between a pair of heat reservoirs is equally efficient, regardless of the working substance employed or the operation details.

Now, here is my thinking. Chemical energy can generally be converted to other forms of energy (mechanical work, electricity) quite efficiently. If we can convert heat to chemical energy with high efficiency, this chemical production becomes the "working substance" in a heat engine that then would beat the Carnot efficiency. Another other line of thinking looks at rearranging chemical bonds as a kind of "mechanical work," operating against "springs" or bonds, storing energy in very small structures in stead of large ones.

I don't trust theoretical analysis (including my own) unless it is backed by high experience. Hence the question I asked, "are there any examples of endothermic chemical reactions, that can convert heat to chemical energy at high efficiency?" If there are, all my theoretical intuition is worthless.

Carnot is related to entropy as Chemical reactions are related to entropy. But in most chemical reactions dealing with fuel synthesis the Chemical energy stored in the fuel is much much bigger than any loss due to entropy changes.
    But as a man with a true British history THH is used to images a classical coal power plant where they simply burn the coal... May be we should ask him about the best Carnot factor of a coal plant?

This is utterly irrelevant. "Chemical reactions" dealing with fuel synthesis are not Carnot-limited, per se. They are not using heat to generate chemical energy. (as by creating, say, a burnable fuel.)

Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

ABD is a moron as I am a priest of science.., or, I wont tell you, - bad luck.. and improve your guesses.

My point. Thanks.

• I consider that THH is correct, and that if it were not so, contradictions to the laws of thermodynamics would appear.

To logically complete your reasoning: The law of thermodynamics are (re-) defined by THH!!

Now, here is my thinking. Chemical energy can generally be converted to other forms of energy (mechanical work, electricity) quite efficiently. If we can convert heat to chemical energy with high efficiency, this chemical production becomes the "working substance" in a heat engine that then would beat the Carnot efficiency.

Yes ABD you are correct! The only unavoidable waste of chemical energy is defined by the sum(TdS). The second law of thermodynamics only states that the overall entropy must increase, what implies all efficiencies <100% are possible!!
    Carnot just applies for a very simple statistical process! Even modern powerplants have higher efficiencies than classical Carnot allows!

This is utterly irrelevant. "Chemical reactions" dealing with fuel synthesis are not Carnot-limited, per se. They are not using heat to generate chemical energy. (as by creating, say, a burnable fuel.)

This is the same mistake as THH continues to make. Heat can be used to generate energetic stable chemicals. Mostly all cracking processes use heat. The most simple is to split H2. (The only unavoidable energy loss in a cracking system is heat conduction to the outside and delta E of heat exchange!)
    Believe me: THH's chemistry skills are undergraduate!

To help you somewhat: To get more that 50% efficiency, you must work hard and must use very sophisticated (large) heat exchangers especially if the reactants have different aggreate states. THH's 20% (Rossi) guess is just wishfull thinking nothing more...

• This was quite an interesting discussion! As always I think THH sounds pretty convincing, especially if you consider raising the electrostatic potential as some kind of work being carried out. Can we come up with some concrete example (with numbers) so we can see more clearly what happens here? One thing that I wonder about is the "waste heat". What is that, and in what way is it wasted? Does it need to leave the system and be ventilated out for example?

• In the case of an endothermic reaction it would correspond to needing an elevated temperature to push the reaction, the waste heat would be that governed by temperature of the products (less than the reactants).

Don't assume it happens. It may be that there is no mechanism in chemistry to convert heat into chemical energy other than by choosing reaction products with lower entropy than the reactants. In other words maybe all the feasible endothermic reactions come from the "entropy correction" and there is no direct conversion. I don't know, and confess to not being expert on this matter. I'd be reluctant to deny the possibility because there could be some weird mechanism that did allow it. Whereas the second law of thermodynamics is as strong as you can get, so its violation I can be confident about, I'm not so confident about the limits of catalysis in chemical reactions.

• In the case of an endothermic reaction it would correspond to needing an elevated temperature to push the reaction, the waste heat would be that governed by temperature of the products (less than the reactants).

Don't assume it happens. It may be that there is no mechanism in chemistry to convert heat into chemical energy other than by choosing reaction products with lower entropy than the reactants. In other words maybe all the feasible endothermic reactions come from the "entropy correction" and there is no direct conversion. I don't know, and confess to not being expert on this matter. I'd be reluctant to deny the possibility because there could be some weird mechanism that did allow it. Whereas the second law of thermodynamics is as strong as you can get, so its violation I can be confident about, I'm not so confident about the limits of catalysis in chemical reactions.

In nanophotonics, infrared photons combine in quantum mechanical entanglement with electrons as a surface based process to produce bosons with spin. This reaction is topological in the same way that the shape and size of one antenna is more effective than another. In this topological nature is rooted the importance of the rough surface features of the transition metal where the nanoplasmonic reaction occurs. Catalytic activity is also promoted by the same principles of surface shapes.

• This was quite an interesting discussion! As always I think THH sounds pretty convincing, especially if you consider raising the electrostatic potential as some kind of work being carried out. Can we come up with some concrete example reactuib (with numbers) so we can see more clearly what happens here? One thing that I wonder about is the "waste heat". What is that, and in what way is it wasted? Does it need to leave the system and be ventilated out for example?

Thanks. I have had, considering this issue, the same question. Without yet getting into a specific chemical example, consider a closed system with two heat reservoirs, 1 and 2, lets make them identical for simplicity, except that one is at temperature T1, the other at T2.

Temperature difference represents a difference in the kinetic energy of the reservoir contents, considered as individual particles. That is, temperature is kinetic energy (mechanical!) except that it is statistical in nature.

Now, we may add or subtract energy or material from the closed system. There is also a work object, W, which is at some temperature, generally such that it is between T1 and T2. But what happens in the system while it is closed? The temperature difference can be used to perform work within the system. That work will do two things: it may create other forms of energy in the "Work object", W, such as chemical energy. However, some of this process will simply raise the temperature of reservoir 2, while lowering the temperature of reservoir 1, and raising, as well, the temperature (generally) of W.

The temperature difference between R1 and R2 was created by an addition of energy from the outside, call that energy H.

If there is an endothermic reaction in W, chemical energy will be stored in W We understand that this process is not spontaneous. To obtain it, the temperature of W must be raised. When the system reaches equilibrium, there may still be some energy difference between R1 and R2. Some of the input energy remains there. However, W will be at a higher temperature. The heat stored in that energy is clearly "waste heat." It did not end up as chemical energy. As well, the energy difference between R1 and R2 might be considered waste heat. It cannot be recovered within the system( except perhaps by some more efficient process, which could reduce it, creating a new product.)

"Cyclic process" was mentioned. A possibly practice process for converting heat to chemical energy breaks the closed system, allowing inputs and outputs, and if one gets fuzzy about this, an intellectual mess is created.

Input could be more heat, perhaps through a heat exchanger, that raises the temperature of R1, and likewise a heat exchanger that lowers the temperature of R2.
    But that would simply raise the temperature of W more, and there would be diminishing return.
    In order to operate this continuously, (i.e, through repeated cycles), W product must be removed and W source added. However, this will not improve efficiency, it will merely allow continuous operation. To study efficiency, my sense, look at the closed system. There is a heat engine running off of a temperature difference. R2 might also be W (and likely is, in Wittenbach's model). Regardless, the system operates to convert thermal energy to chemical energy (which can then later be utilized at high efficiency.)

In such a system, does the Carnot limit apply to the production of chemical energy from thermal energy? I did not find any sources that were explicit on this, though there were statements can could be taken that way. My intuitive analysis indicates, yes, it applies. However, my training is to both respect and distrust intuitive analysis. Hence my search for an authoritative source that is not merely dicta, perhaps accidentally saying something not intended, or, in the alternative, an actual physical example of an allegedly more efficient process that breaks the Carnot limit.

Wyttenbach alleged fuel cells as a counterexample, but I quoted Wikipedia on that, explicitly denying that fuel cells break the Carnot limit, because they are not heat engines, and they are not recharged by heat. My sense is that the Carnot limit arises from the statistical nature of heat as distinct from more direct forms of energy.

In considering the application of this to the Doral "customer process," we would have as T1, allegedly steam at about 100 C. We would have W, probably at room temperature as loaded. Let's call it 25 C. So the Carnot limit would be, first pass, using absolute temperature (C+273), 1 - T2/T1, or 1 - 298/373, or 20%. If we use the return water temperature, say it is 60 C., it would be less. But there is another factor, phase change energy in the steam, if it is live steam.

Phase change energy is a form of chemical energy, dealing with the bonds between molecules, rather than intra-molecular bonding. It confuses this appication. So to make this a simple temperature difference, we would need to consider, say, a high pressure system where the water does not change phase. At what temperature would a megawatt of power be conveyed to W if not at the lower temperature possible through phase change? When W is operated on, the phase of that coolant will change, thus raising T1 over what it would be without the phase change. The phase change thus stabilizes, for a time, T1, until the engine "runs out of steam."

Nevertheless, at each point the engine is operating on a temperature difference, not on the absolute energy content of T1. I'd think the Carnot limit still applies. It is merely that T1 is "larger" than a naive expectation.

To really nail this theoretically, I would need to go through the underlying theory in much more detail. Without that: what do authoritative sources say, and what counterexamples are there, if any?

• I'm not so confident about the limits of catalysis in chemical reactions.

Catalysis in chemical reactions could produce an apparent violation, but not really. The energy that would be released or stored through catalysis would be chemical energy, and catalysis basically borrows energy from the product, it must immediately return it or nothing happens. So H2 and O2 may be mixed and nothing happens, until an ignition temperature is reached. H2 and O2 are stable at room temperature. Very stable. However, a bit of platinum or palladium can break the H2 bond, and atomic hydrogen is highly reactive. And then the heat generated raises the local temperature above ignition and the whole mass of mixture explodes, if the mixture is right.

That energy release is stored chemical energy. The catalyst merely creates a pathway for its release. I doubt that a reaction will be found where catalysis creates endothermic storage of heat as chemical energy. Catalysis will trigger exothermic reactions, which power themselves. An endothermic reaction moves in the opposite direction, the individual reactions require an energy source.

The Wikipedia article on endothermic reactions gives the melting of ice and the evaporation of water as examples. Imagine a population of water molecules. They have various velocities, as a distribution based on temperature. At the surface, some of them have enough velocity to overcome the bonds with the other water, and they escape. This occurs below the boiling point, constantly. The escape is theoretically reversible, and water will indeed capture some water vapor from the air, but the process has a different rate in the two directions. When the faster water molecules leave the bulk, the average kinetic energy is lowered, so the bulk cools from evaporation. It's kind of like Maxwell's demon, only operating in the other direction. It is equalizing something. And gets us into entropy.

• Regardless, the system operates to convert thermal energy to chemical energy (which can then later be utilized at high efficiency.)

There are two points to add: Carnot applies to (2) infinte reservoirs obeying a Bolzman statistics. Example: Classical coal plant simple pot heating generating current = mechanical energy.

Chemical energy is not = mechanical energy because also the fuel cell needs a chemical reaction to happen, witch is influenced by the entropy-changes on the catalysator surface -> producing waste heat.

A chemical reaction can harvest more energy than carnot allows for a cyclic process, because it's just half of the cycle. The other half of the cycle - freeing the energy again must e.g. invest into the entropy, to make the energy availlable again for a Carnot like reaction. The art would be, to find an optimal reaction for the AR-setup. But that is not my interest.

Catalysis in chemical reactions could produce an apparent violation, but not really.

There is no violation of the Second Law in any case.

And there the scope for using entropy chnage to store energy chemically at 100% efficiency is very limited, compared with the heat available from exothermic reactions.

Which was where we started.

Phase change energy is a form of chemical energy, dealing with the bonds between molecules

The issue with phase change is that there is a large entropy difference between the two states, and the higher entropy state has higher heat of formation, which is why heat can be converted into phase change with no waste. To take the best example, water liquid->gas does indeed absorb a lot of energy, as we have previously noted.

Quote from Wyttenbach

Carnot just applies for a very simple statistical process! Even modern powerplants have higher efficiencies than classical Carnot allows!

That is 100% untrue. All powerplants converting heat into electricity are bound by Carnot. Solar cells are not bound by Carnot because e-m radiation is not heat, and can in principle be transformed into electricity with near 100% efficiency, as is indeed done in a radio aerial. (Practical solar cells working from broadband sunlight are challenging - the best research cells (quad junction) mangae about 46% at the momnet).

Interestingly, you can store electrical energy as heat, and get it back is electricity, with round trip efficiency approaching 100%. Isentropic try to do this (I'm not sure how cost-effective their stuff will be). the point being that although you may only get 30% out of your heat engine you can pump 2X as much heat as the neergy you put in using a heat pump, so that the two things cancel. That is not surprising since a heat pump / heat engine is reversible.

A chemical reaction can harvest more energy than carnot allows for a cyclic process, because it's just half of the cycle. The other half of the cycle - freeing the energy again must e.g. invest into the entropy, to make the energy availlable again for a Carnot like reaction. The art would be, to find an optimal reaction for the AR-setup. But that is not my interest.

As I said several pages ago, chemical reactions can indeed harvest energy beyond the Carnot limit when reaction products have lower higher than reactants. As long as overall entropy does not decrease you are OK. The issue is that it is difficult to find highly endothermic reactions using this method (storing energies similar to combustion) because the reaction products tend to be low entropy when compared with the reactants. For pretty obvious practical reasons, those strong chemical bonds correspond to a loss of degrees of freedom. Which means that highly exothermic reactions (like hydrocarbon combustion) cannot be reversed without high waste energy.

So for the AR setup to use such a reaction to store energy with say < 50% waste heat is totally lala land - even more so than evaporating water (which actually is the least weird of the many weird solutions proposed - or melting ice-cubes.

• The issue with phase change is that there is a large entropy difference between the two states, and the higher entropy state has higher heat of formation, which is why heat can be converted into phase change with no waste. To take the best example, water liquid->gas does indeed absorb a lot of energy, as we have previously noted.

Personally, I attempt to understand what's going on with the evaporation of water in terms that don't involve high-level abstractions like entropy (but that do involved abstractions like the molecular nature of water). Nevertheless, in addressing why evaporation is not symmetrical, reversible, under a particular set of conditions that are not at equilibrium, I did note that I was approaching "entropy," i.e, disorder vs order.

As to the practical matter before us, one of the ways that a megawatt could have been handled would have been by evaporating water, and this one has the most practical method for removing the "product" from the warehouse. Mix it with a lot of air and blow it out. However ... that requires a lot of air movement, or a steam plume would become obvious. Similarly, using ice would require constant delivery of ice. And then a lot of water going down the drain. And other problems if the drain water is too hot. And serious expense if cooling water from the city mains is used.

In the end, this is all not terribly relevant. I.e., people can figure out what *might have been done*, but what would actually matter would be what *was* done, and the evidence for and against that. And the whole question is, my opinion, only part of a subsidiary level of defense by Industrial Heat, because a General Performance Test under the uncontested conditions -- Rossi control -- made no sense, and almost certainly was not done with consent to a Test, but only to an installation for the sale of power. I doubt that the issue of actual Plant peformance is going to go to a jury, though it is not impossible.

As to the practical matter before us, one of the ways that a megawatt could have been handled would have been by evaporating water,

Also Rossi's claimed 100C 0 bar atm relative water/steam is not ideal for generating more steam - different to get enough heat flow. Technically, his setup does not work several ways round.

• As to the practical matter before us, one of the ways that a megawatt could have been handled would have been by evaporating water,

Also Rossi's claimed 100C 0 bar atm relative water/steam is not ideal for generating more steam - different to get enough heat flow. Technically, his setup does not work several ways round.

I wasn't thinking "steam" when I wrote "evaporating water." Transfer the heat to water from the mains. Spray that water into an air flow and blow it out a vent. The evaporation is endothermic, period, even at room temperature. Let's forget about a high humidity day, let's be generous.

This did not happen. There would have been visible equipment and effects. I would have been expensive (water isn't as cheap as we think! -- and the water utility will assume that it's going down the drain -- and it could go down the drain if one doesn't want a steam plume -- and the charge doubles from the water price.)

We have an Occam's Razor conclusion at this point. Such are always rebuttable, but ... not with such thin hypotheticals as I've seen.

In a way, some of those discussing this are like passengers on the Titanic arguing over how safe the ship was, after it hit the iceberg.

• All powerplants converting heat into electricity are bound by Carnot.

@THH: To resolve the mystry: Modern power plants are not pure 'classical Carnot' machines as they efficiently use the kinetic head flow of the thermal expansion, which does not exactly follow a Bolzmann statistics. It's easy to understand. If You heat a pot of moleculs, they move uncorrelated in any direction. If You extract the momentum out of the expanding explosive motion of burning fuel, then you can harvest more energy than classical Carnot machines allow.
    Modern gas - powerplants are just above 62% efficiency!
    If you look just at the temperature of their operation, they strictly follow the Carnot law. But if You would use the same amount of energy to heat a classical pot, todays performance would be over Carnot. Virtually Carnot allows any efficiency below 100% but the material wont allow it.

• THHuxley wrote:
    All powerplants converting heat into electricity are bound by Carnot.

@THH: To resolve the mystry: Modern power plants are not pure 'classical Carnot' machines as they efficiently use the kinetic head flow of the thermal expansion, which does not exactly follow a Bolzmann statistics. It's easy to understand. If You heat a pot of moleculs, they move uncorrelated in any direction. If You extract the momentum out of the expanding explosive motion of burning fuel, then you can harvest more energy than classical Carnot machines allow.
    Modern gas - powerplants are just above 62% efficiency!
    If you look just at the temperature of their operation, they strictly follow the Carnot law. But if You would use the same amount of energy to heat a classical pot, todays performance would be over Carnot. Virtually Carnot allows any efficiency below 100% but the material wont allow it.

What is being described is not a pure heat engine. Wyttenbach is not clear, but it seems that he is describing harvesting energy from a combustion reaction, which produces both heat and mechanical energy (pressure, for example).

I referred to the issue with the practical example before us, dissipating a megawatt of power, delivered as (slightly) superheated steam, to be cooled to, say, 60 C. The power available from that is not purely heat energy, most of it is, in fact, phase change energy. The heat of evaporation of water, returned when the water condenses (and very efficiently). This, however, is the heat to be managed, and it would be applied to the working chemistry as heat, not as any other form of energy that would be of major relevance.

This, then, is equivalent to a classical heat engine where the product has more energy than the feedstock ("endothermic reaction"). As I mentioned, this is conceptually equivalent to compressing very many tiny springs, each one storing a little "mechanical energy," only, because this involves chemical bonds, we call it "chemical energy

The reactor working fluid, superheated steam, is a reservoir held at 100C by condensing steam, which releases that heat.

• This, then, is equivalent to a classical heat engine where the product has more energy than the feedstock ("endothermic reaction")

@Abd One more try?

Chemistry is not equivalent to a classical heat machine! Of course the product of the reaction must contain more energy!

But in Chemistry energy has two distinguishable (more or less separable) components: The Enthalpy and the Entropy and further a third regulator is in place called kinetics.

The only way to answer the question is: Find a reaction which satisfies the Doral conditions and is able to swallow a reasonable > 50% amount of the supplied energy. You mentionned phase changes which are best candidates and are of narrow T-range.
    But the problem is: You need a multiple of 34 Tons input a day!

I just pointed out that a simple guess like THH's 20% is the same foolish comment as the Rossi claims.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.