Rossi deception from the record

• 1. Jed Rothwell claimed to have seen data from the ERV report, having been leaked, he claimed, on report he believed, by Rossi. He claimed that this evidence indicated fraud or massive error, sloppy work, or the like. Exhibit 5 is a set of questions asked of Penon by Murray. These questions were apparently asked verbally in February, and then formally, in writing, May 25, four days before the release of the Penon report. Penon did not respond. Jed now says that he knew nothing more than what is in Exhibit 5. However, I don't think he is being accurate: he saw a list of results for many days. That is not in Exhibit 5.

That's true. Let me rephrase to be a little more accurate. The results from several days are summarized in Exhibit 5:

In fact, from June 30, 2015 through July 27, 2015, the effective flowed water in the unit was, according to your daily valuation report for that period, 36,000 Kg/d on each and every day, without deviation.

Elsewhere it says the pressure was 0.0 bar, and the average temperature was 102.8ºC. What I meant was, that agrees with the data I saw. That is an accurate summary. But actually, it isn't just a summary: it is nearly a complete description, with as much information as there is in all of the data from June 30 to July 27. One line of data tells you nearly as much as every line from every day in that range would:

36,000 kg - 10%, 0.0 bar, 102.8ºC +/- ~2ºC

That's everything except the specific temperatures. You might call it lossless compression. To decompress, just write:

June 30 36,000 kg - 10%, 0.0 bar, 102.8ºC +/- ~2ºC
    July 1 36,000 kg - 10%, 0.0 bar, 102.8ºC +/- ~2ºC
    July 2 36,000 kg - 10%, 0.0 bar, 102.8ºC +/- ~2ºC
    July 3 36,000 kg - 10%, 0.0 bar, 102.8ºC +/- ~2ºC . . .

That would not be the case for a data set with more variation. If the flow rate or pressure varied, then to evaluate the data or establish a trend, you would need to see all of individual values for all days. Having the same data for every day simplifies matters a great deal. I agree with Murray it is also impossible, and it shows the data is fraudulent.

So, mathematically, everything I knew about June through July was completely represented in the Exhibit 5 report. Plus there was other stuff about the tests I did not know. Now that you have read it, you know as much as I do.

• Gads you're literal! Any citizen can bring a case to the attention of a DA or law enforcement (local police, FBI, fraud squads, whatever).

The term "refer a case" has a specific meaning in law enforcement. It does not mean "bring attention." It is what law enforcement officers do. See:

https://www.countyofdane.com/da/case_steps.aspx

A Person Is Arrested
    Police may arrest a suspect on the spot or if the officer has probable cause to believe a misdemeanor or felony was committed. The police may refer the case to the District Attorney’s Office suggesting potential charges.

I am not being literal minded. You are confusing the issue by inadvertently saying that Darden should place Rossi under arrest. He can't. He isn't authorized. There is a huge difference between "bring attention" and "refer" when you are talking about police and district attorneys.

• Yikes. Anyway I described accurately what has already happened. At least two people have filed complaints about Rossi with documentation in appropriate state offices in Florida which accepted the complaints. What they do with them remains to be seen. Soon I hope (but doubt). Jed can stick to picayune parsing of definitions if that is what he enjoys. The above are the facts (anyway the ones I know about-- there could be more). And I suspect that there are some angry shareholders in Woodford who will eventually do something about them, not sure what.

Darden placing Rossi under arrest indeed! That would be a great SNL skit. (Saturday Night Live for our non USA'ns.)

ETA: OK, let's pile drive this into the ground for giggles:

-- my emphasis

Note the last two lines, Jed. From: https://www.justice.gov/criminal-fraud/report-fraud

• Mats Lewan Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax • 9 hours ago
    [...]
    3. Add to that, that people who have insight in the MW report confirm that the only way to challenge it is by claiming fraud (funny IH won't make it public!).

He's just flat incorrect about that. Jed Rothwell saw what was likely a preliminary report or an excerpt from the report and claimed that it was blatantly bogus (wrong!). Murray questioned Penon in February, apparently without response, and then formally May 25 in writing, and had what was a draft report, it seems, and certainly doubted it without claiming fraud.

However, Lewan has apparently made no effort to understand IH and what they did and are doing. The "ERV report" is not, they claim, an "ERV report," but just the opinion of Penon. The actual contents of that report are irrelevant to their case. "The only way to challenge it is by claiming fraud" is blatantly false! However, lawyers will assert every possibility in an Answer, and what is actually asserted is collusion or the appearance of it. (and an Answer can include contradictory arguments, even, as alternatives.)

And there is the appearance of fraud or the possibility of fraud.

What Lewan completely missing, along with Planet Rossi, is that whether or not the Doral plant produced XE or not is mostly irrelevant to the case, and I don't particularly expect that issue to be presented to the jury. On the face, the legal issue was, from the beginning, and Planet Rossi certainly noticed this!, whether or not Penon certified that it met certain standards. He apparently certified that. From the complaint:

72. On or about March 29, 2016, the ERV published his final report regarding the operation of the E-Cat Unit during the Guaranteed Performance test. In the ERV's report, the ERV confirmed that the E-Cat Unit had satisfied all of the performance requirements imposed by the License Agreement including, but not limited to, the requirement that the production of energy was at least six (6) times greater than the energy consumed.

From the amended Answer:

72. Defendants deny that the test referenced in Paragraph 72 was the Guaranteed Performance to be performed under the License Agreement. Defendants admit that on March 29, 2016, Penon sent his final report regarding the operation of the Plant to Darden and Rossi. Defendants state that this report speaks for itself, and therefore deny any allegations in Paragraph 72 inconsistent therewith. Defendants deny that the Plant satisfied all of the performance requirements imposed by the License Agreement; see Ex. 5. Defendants also deny Plaintiffs’ allegations in Paragraph 72 regarding the amount of energy produced by the Plant during the testing period; see Ex. 1. Defendants deny the remaining allegations in Paragraph 72.

So, they refer to the Penon report, but do not provide it. Lewan thinks this is somehow suspicious, but he has not considered consistent IH behavior. IH does not reveal more than is required.

They are not playing a public relations game. Not before this, and not now. They are defending themselves in a lawsuit and they are not required to reveal the Penon report at this point, so they don't. They are entitled to question the conclusions, and they provide a basis for that, Exhibit 5. Exhibit 5 does not prove fraud, rather it raises questions and that there was no response raises questions about Penon's competence or fairness. They have elsewhere faulted Rossi for revealing confidential information, and that report would explicitly be confidential.

Impeaching the report is their third layer of defense, not the primary two. This is all very simple, legally. But some details from the report have probably been revealed in Exhibit 5.

To reiterate the basic defense, was the Doral plant operation a GPT as defined in the agreement as amended? IH has several layers of defense on that issue alone. The first one, which they still assert, is the lack of signatures as required on the Second Amendment. That's probably the weakest of their defenses. The stronger, second part, is that there was no written agreement to the test date signed by all parties. In order to overcome that defense, since it appears that there was no such agreement, Rossi must allege estoppel, that Darden consented to a GPT, and Rossi has not presented any actual evidence of that, rather he presented a series of actions that he called and implied were consent, but that probably weren't. Allowing Penon to measure and even paying Penon to do that would not be consenting to a GPT! It would simply be giving Rossi what he asked for. Did Rossi explicitly ask for a GPT? My guess is, no, he did not. Had he done so, would have alleged it and would have alleged the consent, that's fairly obvious!

The second major layer of defense is that Rossi did not deliver the IP, thus the foundation of the Agreement, and what would be necessary for them to raise the $89 million, failed.

It appears to me that Rossi never understood the legal issues. He imagined that if he could set up what looked like a GPT, it would therefore be a GPT. He apparently had contempt for legal technicalities, as being the concern of snakes and clowns and rich investors trying to steal his secrets. To him, it was morally allowed to trick them, because of their greedy and evil motives. Paranoia can do this to us. It's common.

He apparently had contempt for legal technicalities, as being the concern of snakes and clowns and rich investors trying to steal his secrets.

What secrets do you think Rossi had that he didn't want snakes etc. to steal?

• At least two people have filed complaints about Rossi with documentation in appropriate state offices in Florida which accepted the complaints. What they do with them remains to be seen. Soon I hope (but doubt). Jed can stick to picayune parsing of definitions if that is what he enjoys.

"Filing a complaint" does not mean you arrest someone, and it does not mean you refer a case to the DA. If you try to arrest someone you will be charged with kidnapping or impersonating an officer. If you steal police paperwork or infiltrate a computer network to refer a case to the DA, you will end up in a heap of trouble. The police and the DA will not slap you on the wrist for "picayune parsing of definitions."

Words mean things. These words do not mean what you think they mean. These are not unimportant distinctions.

I suggest that when you are in a hole, stop digging.

• Mats Lewan Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax • 9 hours ago
    [...]

4. Add to that my own experience through these years, and tests that I have assisted.
    5. Add to that testimonials that I cannot yet report on.

There is nothing there. He doesn't provide anything from what he has witnessed. And we already have seen massive analysis of what he witnessed, and Lewan knows, I'd think, that there were always questions, unresolved issues, and, as I pointed out, the appearance that Rossi wasn't being straightforward. It seems to me that Lewan is arguing as if the issue is whether or not the Rossi Effect is real.

That is not the legal issue, and it could be real and Rossi could still be a fraud in some way or other. Rather, once we know that Rossi will lie and cheat, on occasion, he cannot be trusted without clear and independent verification. Demonstrations that he ran and controlled -- which is almost everything -- would be unreliable. Has Lewan ever confronted the overflow water issue, from the earliest tests? His comments on criticism are sparse. AII p. 123, raises some questions but does not answer them. On p. 124, he mentioned that he looked at steam flow from a pipe, but provides no details; apparently he convinced himself, but exactly what had he seen? Reading over, AII, again and again, questions multiply, instead of being answered.

• 3. Add to that, that people who have insight in the MW report confirm that the only way to challenge it is by claiming fraud (funny IH won't make it public!).

He's just flat incorrect about that. Jed Rothwell saw what was likely a preliminary report or an excerpt from the report and claimed that it was blatantly bogus (wrong!). Murray questioned Penon in February, apparently without response, and then formally May 25 in writing, and had what was a draft report, it seems, and certainly doubted it without claiming fraud.

That is right, and that's important. I hope that I made it clear it looked ridiculous to me, but I could not tell if this was incompetence or fraud. The only thing that looked quite suspicious to me was barring the door to the customer site.

In my opinion the details revealed in Exhibit 5 do not, in themselves, necessarily point to fraud. I think the exact same flow rate every day is impossible, but it could just be sloppy reporting. If Penon had said "this is an approximation" or "plus/minus 1000 kg" I guess it would be okay. I guess he did say that, by arbitrarily subtracting 10%. This is not the level of accuracy I would expect when someone is paying $89 million based on the report conclusions.

The 0.0 bar is suspicious, but maybe that's what the meter showed? Maybe it was broken? I wouldn't know. I think it is impossible, even if it means 0.0 barG, but instruments can show impossible values when they are adjusted wrong, or broken.

The totality of the evidence including the fishy stuff about the customer site, the ventilation, and so on indicate fraud, in my opinion. The ERV data and even Exhibit 5 smell bad, but I would not say they are proof of fraud. The fact that Penon never responded to Exhibit 5 seems more indicative of fraud than the problems described in the Exhibit.

• ETA: OK, let's pile drive this into the ground for giggles:

Mary Yugo has always displayed a disconnection with real life, maybe that goes with being a fake persona.

To make a complaint to the police that will go anywhere, one must have standing, a personal stake. Rossi has possibly defrauded IH, so IH could file a report if they choose. Filing such reports can create a problem. If the person is arrested and charged, good luck getting any money back from them. I have a case I'm dealing with right now where one of the options is a complaint to licensing agencies. That could cause a lawsuit against the professional involved to be stayed while official actions are considered. And then if the license is removed, there goes the person's ability to pay a judgment.

The implication in Mary's post is that anyone can make a complaint, and, indeed, they can. However, if I were to make a complaint that Rossi defrauded IH, they would want to know if IH is a child or something, so that IH cannot themselves file the complaint. Basically, I have no standing to complain. If I were outraged, as Mary Yugo obviously has been for a long time, that's irrelevant. Rossi owes me no duty and owes Mary Yugo nothing.

As to an IH investor, they also would have no standing; if IH defrauded them, misrepresented the situatino, they would have civil standing for action, probably not criminal. As well, A Woodford investor would not have standing, unless they are claiming misbehavior by Woodoford. Woodford could claim harm from IH, but, as I've stated many times, I doubt that IH misrepresented the situation to Woodford, and it would certainly not be criminal even if they did, unless something was egregiously deceptive, not merely a failure to inform.

There are few exceptions to the issue of standing. If there is a serious public crime, anyone may report. If there is child abuse, anyone may report to the authorities. Indeed, even suspicion of child abuse is reportable and will be investigated.

• What secrets do you think Rossi had that he didn't want snakes etc. to steal?

You want me to imagine what a lunatic is thinking? This is Planet Mary Yugo: for someone to believe that someone is out to steal their secrets, there must be "actual secrets."

Mary seems to have no concept that people act, and commonly, based on beliefs that are invented. This affects her opinion on many other issues. Power Balance bracelets -- or cheap knock-offs -- "don't work" if there is no physical effect as shown in double-blind experiments. This is a common pseudoskeptical position, a belief in the primacy of the physical and the discounting of "psychic" effects, where "psychic" merely means "of the mind." As if the mind doesn't exist.

In a way, it doesn't. But Mary's sophistication is low and I won't go into the way in which it does not exist.

When I point out that the bracelets "actually work," she thinks I'm ignorant and stupid and gullible. To really explore this, which has never been possible with Mary, so firm is she in her convictions of complete bogosity, we would need to look at what "work" means, and how the effect exists and is known. Instead, that Power Balance bracelets are commonly sold using a misleading demonstration places a fraud in a different place and with different implications. Specifically, persuading people to buy what can be made very cheaply at high prices. Yet for some people, the whole thing is an amusement. If they are amused, who is to say that the price was too much? How, indeed, is "value" determined?

• Quote from Abd

There are few exceptions to the issue of standing. If there is a serious public crime, anyone may report. If there is child abuse, anyone may report to the authorities. Indeed, even suspicion of child abuse is reportable and will be investigated.

US law may be different from UK but while what Abd says is broadly correct it is more precise.

Civil fraud may only be prosecuted by the injured party - the state has no interest in getting involved.
    Criminal fraud (serious and obvious) will be prosecuted by the state. For example, a stockbroker who defrauds a client.

Sometimes criminal prosecutions are brought, fail, and then the same act is pursued as a civil case and because of the lower standard of proof this succeeds.

If there is a decent case for criminal fraud anyone can inform the police - they are bound to take it seriously and it will get prosecuted.

The problem here is that the bar for criminal prosecution is much higher than for civil prosecution. Also (I'm not quite sure here) not all civil frauds are criminal. I suspect that anything fraudulent to do with a contract per se is not criminal - unless something else is added. Sorry I'm wittering here because I'm not quite sure what are the precise conditions.

Anyway, IH allege Rossi has defrauded them but do not claim he is criminally fraudulent. I think.

"Filing a complaint" does not mean you arrest someone, and it does not mean you refer a case to the DA. If you try to arrest someone you will be charged with kidnapping or impersonating an officer. If you steal police paperwork or infiltrate a computer network to refer a case to the DA, you will end up in a heap of trouble. The police and the DA will not slap you on the wrist for "picayune parsing of definitions."

Jed, get real for a change. Who (certainly not me) suggested someone just visit Rossi and arrest him? Where in the world did you find such an improbable suggestion? The cite I gave you was quite clear. If you suspect fraud was committed, and it's a local and not a federal issue, you can contact your local district or state attorney. That, of course, is what I suggested which for reasons known only to you, you took exception with.

• Jed, get real for a change. Who (certainly not me) suggested someone just visit Rossi and arrest him? Where in the world did you find such an improbable suggestion?

You said that! You said you will "refer the case" to the DA. That means you will arrest him.

You did not mean it, but that is what "refer" means. I gave you a link.

You need to use words correctly. There is big difference between "refer" and "inform" the DA, just like there is a big difference between a house cat and a cat house.

If you still do not understand, I suggest you drop the subject.

• In my opinion the details revealed in Exhibit 5 do not, in themselves, necessarily point to fraud. I think the exact same flow rate every day is impossible, but it could just be sloppy reporting. . . .

The 0.0 bar is suspicious, but maybe that's what the meter showed? Maybe it was broken? I wouldn't know. I think it is impossible. . .

Here is the important point. Based on Rossi's data alone I could not judge whether there was fraud or not. But, I would never pay $89 million based on such a sloppy report. Even if the manufacturer of the flow meter told me: "We put 1,200 kg minimum on the face plate but it might work okay at a lower rate" I still would not trust that result.

If you want someone to pay $89 million based on a technical evaluation, you must make it highly professional. All instruments must be within specification, with extensive cross-checking. The procedures have to be strictly according to ASME textbooks. You cannot use an instrument that is sorta-maybe-might-be within spec but the manufacturer's own face plate says it isn't.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

How do you then explain Dewey's actions? Admittedly, he seemed to do more damage to public relations than good, but he clearly was trying. And we all know APCO has been involved at some level. So I think you might be blowing a little smoke here.

1. Dewey developed a personal reaction to Rossi's phantasmagoria, as well as to Planet Rossi. As do many of us, he simply wrote what he knew. This was not an "IH public relations game" and he was not speaking for IH, I'm sure. IH apparently tolerated it, or they didn't. One might notice that he more or less stopped. But he pops in when there is some particularly outrageous nonsense, like "Blackwater Security." Dewey is an investor in IH, not an employee. He would be under NDA, I'm pretty sure, but if he violates it in some minor way, they aren't likely to sue him. They are all friends, long-term. One might notice that there were many things he refused to talk about.

2. We do not know that APCO is involved. That is a classic Planet Rossi meme, based originally on one piece of evidence, that the email sent to Mats Lewan, Steve Krivit, and some others in early March was cc'd to an email address at APCO. Later, when the Answer was filed, there is a reference in an email to a visit to the Doral plant, about a year earlier, from that same person.

This does not mean that APCO is involved, but that someone at APCO is interested in LENR. The interest may be entirely personal at this time. It is possible that if IH decides to ask for governmental funding (which is not uncommon for their limited partnerships), that then this person will assist them, personally, or APCO will get involved as a company.

But IH gains nothing from the blog discussions of Rossi being a possible fraud. Their concern is entirely, I'm sure, with the court process. It's not impossible that their friend at APCO is looking at things, because of long-term interests. That is why I confined my analysis to the past and to now. There might be something in the future, and they might, indeed, be concerned that the Rossi affair could damage "LENR public relations."

What is highly unlikely is that anyone, anywhere, is being paid to damage Rossi's reputation through blog and forum discussions. It makes no economic sense. IH is acting through their attorneys in Rossi v. Darden.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

That would be a travesty, really.

Travesty: a false, absurd, or distorted representation of something."the absurdly lenient sentence is a travesty of justice"

What would be travestied? If Rossi and IH agree on a settlement, and it isn't a settlement unless they agree, who would we be to claim it is false or distorts something?

What do people want? Blood on the floor?

If Rossi has real devices, he will reveal them soon enough. And if not, what is gained by an expensive court process that might only create more controversy? More specifically, who is supposed to pay for that?

Does Rossi have a contract with Planet Rossi, some obligation to them? (No.)

• Quote from IHFB

How do you then explain Dewey's actions?

Based purely on what he has posted here... he is pissed off at his friends (who set up IH as a very altruistic long-term venture) being so insulted by friends of an apparent fraudster, with a continual stream of falsehoods and innuendo.

Given your repeated comments I can understand the strength of his indignation.

• Quote from Abd

If Rossi has real devices, he will reveal them soon enough. And if not, what is gained by an expensive court process that might only create more controversy? More specifically, who is supposed to pay for that?

The current war between Rossi and IH suits the Rossi PR machine quite well. It activates the "inventor persecuted by big money" meme and distracts attention from the non-working e-cats, quacks, whatever.

The issue is of course expense, and so far it has ben cheap for Rossi. I can't claim to know what will happen but would not be surprised if before it starts to get expensive he will fold. But will IH let him? That is the question...

Also, I don't want to make too much of this, but the whole legal action business has been supreme drama. If, as I've tentatively claimed, Rossi's modus operandi, which has served him so well for many years, is dramatic effect, this must be suiting him down to the ground.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.