Plaintiffs/Counter-Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss Defendants Amended Counterclaims against Plaintiffs and Memorandum of Law

• Jed is quite correct here.

Sorry, he isn't.

First of all, it named Rossi as inventor. The alleged
    problem is that it named a co-inventor.

There is no problem, per se, that there is a co-inventor. It does reveal some sneakiness on the part of IH, but legally, there is not a problem. Nor is there a prohibition of this in the agreement (Rossi's BIG mistake).

However, this was the Lugano device or based on it.

That might be the case, but doesn't change the analysis or the implications.

IH made that device,

Agreed, that is probably the case. Dewey also admitted to that.

and there may have been ideas from the IH engineer, so it was legally necessary to include his name.

Agreed.

That patent was quickly filed before the Lugano report.

Quickly is a speculative. It seemed to coincide with the Lugano report. The report came considerably later than the start of the experiment. There was quite some time for IH to be working on their version of the e-Cat.

That report would have invalidated the patent.

To be precise, it would have not invalidated any patent. Potentially, though, it could be used as prior art in an attempt to invalidate a patent.

Some Rossi patents around the world were apparently rejected precisely because of this.

The Lugano report was actually used to advocate for allowance of Rossi's applications, as evidence of the tech working. Rossi's filing dates pre-date the report (except for his more recent filings, of course, which purportedly are directed to the QuarkX).

The patent was amended to fix problems.

Agreed.

All of this was to protect the Rossi IP.

No, it was to protect IH's IP. IH may be altruistic as some people here claim, but I doubt they are THAT altruistic.

This was not in any way illegal or improper, and they were explicitly allowed to do this by the agreement.

Agreed. Again, big lapse by Rossi.

Rossi was not harmed by that patent and possibly protected.

I respectfully disagree. Because if IH eventually run with their version of the e-Cat once the dust settles, that would be harmful to Rossi and his endeavors.

And let me add, everything you said actually supports my view on IH's strategy.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

I don't know why you can't visit that link. It works for me in Chrome and Safari. I haven't tried Firefox. I wouldn't know about IE, Edge, or Opera. Do you have a browser plugin installed that might be interfering with Google Drive, or do you have JavaScript disabled?

Using Chrome. No plug-in AFAIK. No, Javascript not disabled. Weird is that some files show and not others. Okay, I just checked it again, copying the URL into the browser bar. The files showed. WTF? From the browser bar

https://drive.google.com/drive…Ktdce19-wyb1RxOTF6c2NtZkk does not show the files. this URL was loaded by clicking on the link in the first post in this thread.

Another window open in the same browser session

https://drive.google.com/drive…Ktdce19-wyb1RxOTF6c2NtZkk shows the files. I am totally mystified....

Going to my post, Plaintiffs/Counter-Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss Defendants Amended Counterclaims against Plaintiffs and Memorandum of Law and extracting the URL from the code quoted in that (which was simply a copy of the actual link from the first post, I think) this time did not work. I don't know what the difference was.

Okay, I removed all google cookies. It worked. I can see all the files. This is definitely a google problem.

The files added today are:
    41 - Motion to dismiss - Leonardo.pdf
    42 - Order on informal discovery conference.pdf
    43 - Motion for judgment on the pleadings - count 1.pdf
    The name for 42 is derived from the Pacer query results: "ORDER on informal discovery conference. Signed by Magistrate Judge John J. O'Sullivan on 9/2/2016. (tro) (Entered: 09/02/2016)".

Ah. I don't look at the Pacer Docket, and this document is not yet on Pacermonitor. How many pages is the docket? The document itself does not mention "informal discovery conference" The notice (doc 37) calls it a "hearing." Those notes are added by a clerk, I think.

To be precise, it would have not invalidated any patent. Potentially, though, it could be used as prior art in an attempt to invalidate a patent.

I don't think this has been understood. It is correct that the patent in question would not have invalidating any existing patent. Rather, the Lugano report would invalidate a later-filed patent for technology used at Lugano. Rossi apparently later filed patents around the world that were actually invalidated from the Lugano report, I was told by that attorney. By the way, some people do not see the original filing, but look only at the later amendment. It was the original filing that was time-crucial.

To the lawyer, that patent looked like it was clumsily filed, and what was all this Lugano data dumped into it (in the later version)? It was a mess, last time I looked at it. My explanation was that they just needed to get something on file, it didn't need to be ready for prime time. He eventually accepted that, I think. Still grumbling about lousy patent work. It sucks to be an expert.

• Rather, the Lugano report would invalidate a later-filed patent for technology used at Lugano. Rossi apparently later filed patents around the world that were actually invalidated from the Lugano report, I was told by that attorney.

A patent application is not invalidated. A patent can be. Patents are presumed to be valid unless invalidated by a court of law or before the USPTO in a post-grant administrative proceeding. The Lugano report has not, and could not have been used to invalidate anything. Maybe it was cited as prior art against one of Rossi's patent applications, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. Can you point to that and I'll take a look?

• Why could file 40 not be displayed?

What was file 40?

Was file 40 something confidential? Was it the ERV report?

No. It is not available for download, but not because it is confidential, apparently.
    From Pacermonitor there is
    "PAPERLESS NOTICE of Hearing on 39 MOTION to Strike Affirmative Defenses MOTION for More Definite Statement: Motion Hearing set for 9/27/2016 10:30 AM in Miami Division before Judge Cecilia M. Altonaga"

• Maybe it was cited as prior art against one of Rossi's patent applications, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. Can you point to that and I'll take a look?

No. I was told this by the attorney, and checking it would take much time with little value, Rossi has filed, apparently, a huge pile of world patents. Yes, it would be cited as prior art, that's it exactly.

There is a plausible business reason for filing that patent as they did, and it did Rossi no harm and might have protected him to some degree -- or it was useless. How this gets converted into some nefarious act is ... simply evidence of the paranoia behind Rossi's world view, and the resulting reflection of that on Planet Rossi.

Here is what the attorney told me, so you now know everything I know on this point:

The Lugano Report damaged Rossi's world filing of his PCT application because the authors guessed in writing that Lithium Aluminum Hydride was a key component of the reaction. It did not damage the IH US and PCT filings because the first IH priority filing was made before the Lugano Report was published, and the second filing probably was too.

• There is a plausible business reason for filing that patent as they did,

Agreed. That is partially my point.

and it did Rossi no harm and might have protected him to some degree -- or it was useless.

It did Rossi no good, and will likely harm him in the future, if IH runs with the IH-cat down the road once the legal dispute is behind them.

How this gets converted into some nefarious act is ... simply evidence of the paranoia behind Rossi's world view, and the resulting reflection of that on Planet Rossi.

It isn't nefarious, per se, and not based in paranoia. It can all be understood within the context of hard-nosed business tactics. Billionaires don't become such by being a bunch of softy know-nothings.

• MY, I can understand how you might think IH deserves it, but I find this to be blaming the victim. Certainly they have, and will continue, to suffer significant consequences from trying to trust and help AR. He is quite experienced in long-haul legal processes, and is probably equally comfortable in the lime-light as a protagonist or villain. IH had better not pull any punches--he probably won't.

He does not have a history, AFAIK, of attacking through lawsuit. His prior legal escapades ended with some time in jail. Yes, it was for relatively minor stuff, but he lost a huge business in Italy, and apparently passed up opportunities to work with large corporations, which he did not trust. Had he done so -- and I'm assuming he had a real processing technology for this, not fraud -- he'd have had huge resources behind him when he needed it. Instead he was basically screwed, read An Impossible Invention, which tells the story, mostly from his perspective.

IH is attempting to shut the lawsuit down as quickly as possible. They have just filed a Motion for Judgment. That motion could fail, but then there is a further one, based on accepting the Second Agreement (which they did, arguendo, to argue that the GPT did not exist because it was the wrong device, an argument which Rossi has not yet answered. Rossi may answer to avert the Motion for Judgment -- which would shut the whole case down.

And then they pull out the apparent fact that there was no actual written agreement to the test date as very expllicitly required; Rossi's claims about it were entirely conclusory, yet this is central to the case. Estoppel was not alleged as to the missing agreement, and I don't think it would be possible without some sort of actual evidence, not just calling Penon the "ERV" and measurement methods "determining the GPT."

At some point Rossi's lawyers may notice that the more he defends, the deeper in he gets. It looks like Rossi tried to set up a faux GPT, crafting communications to try to create the appearance of consent to it. This, then provides more evidence for "deceptive practices."

I don't think IH is going to pull punches. They are being focused.

One amusing piece of business in the Motion to Dismiss the counterclaims. Annesser takes about two and a half pages to argue that the payment of taxes by Rossi is essentially none of their business, but is merely an attempt to defame him.

From the Answer, Counterclaim section, referring to the Agreement:

43. Sixth, the License Agreement requires that Leonardo and Rossi “file all necessary documentation and returns with respect to any applicable sales, use, transfer, real property transfer, recording, gains, stock transfer and other similar taxes and fees pertaining to the respective revenues derived by the Parties in respect of the E-Cat IP (such as taxes and fees), including any interest or penalties thereon.” Id. § 13.5. The License Agreement also requires Leonardo and Rossi to keep the E-Cat IP “free and clear of any Liens.” Id. §§ 12(a) & 12(e).

Then they argue:

Much of Annesser's massive attack on this is over the word "likelihood," as iof it means "likely." How about "possibility"? Further, this is just one example of possible harm to IH from a Rossi failure to pay taxes and avoid encumbering the IP.

Bottom line, IH placed that provision in the Agreement (or Rossi did to assure them there would be no problems), to allay a reasonable fear, and it appears that Rossi may have violated it.

I thought the counterclaim was weak, myself, but ... there was an apparent violation of contract there, and they are likely to assert every one they can find. There are quite a few, many of which may be estopped from complaint, because of effective acceptance by IH.

Bottom line, IH placed that provision in the Agreement (or Rossi did to assure them there would be no problems), to allay a reasonable fear, and it appears that Rossi may have violated it.

He said he paid the taxes! How can you state that "it appears" that Rossi may have violated it? Please show the evidence of him not paying his taxes!

The affirmation that all taxes have been paid does not state whether or not they were ever delinquent. If they became delinquent at any time, the Agreement was violated. The extent of the harm from that could indeed be minor, to nonexistent in practice. IH may poke Rossi for every violation of the Agreement. They had been quite tolerant, obviously. People who are tolerant tend to become intolerant when sued for almost $300 million, eh?

I stated that this was not a strong claim. I think it entirely possible that IH will simply let this one go, having made their overall point (terminal sloppiness on Rossi's part, lack of care in compliance with the Agreement).

It was not necessary for them to prove failure to pay at this point. I wrote "appears to have violated it" based only on the claim in the lawsuit, because it is unlikely that IH would raise this point if there was no basis at all. A delinquency, even for a short time, would have violated the Agreement. Given that Rossi had plenty of money, there would be basically no excuse for this other than lack of care. When one has this kind of money, this is a task delegated to a tax accountant.

On the other hand, IH may argue to keep that claim, simply to cause Rossi more legal expense. 2.5 pages of argument? It worked already. My sense is that Annesser just convinced the judge that he's an idiot.

I got an attorney to settle a case by filing a pile of interrogatories. They had, very unusually, taken a case from an insurance company on contingency, thinking it was easy money. Wrong. The case was then settled for far less than they had previously demanded. the issues raised by the interrogatories would have involved new law, i.e,. no clear precedents existed. Researching all that would be expensive. If the new law was established as a precedent, a whole series of insurance company recoveries through subrogation might have gone south. Far too much risk for the client.

• Your attorney friend appears to be wrong. Rossi's PCT application claims priority to a U.S. provisional patent application filed on August 1, 2014. The Lugano report is dated October 6, 2014.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=WO&NR=2016018851A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20160204&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

• One thing that this latest event has confirmed.... IH did not go into this venture with Rossi blind on uninformed They knew about his past and went to lengths to
    protect themselves from possible tax issues, of which they knew was in Rossi`s past. If they knew and protected themsekves about this, it is most likely they also knew about
    questionable test practices and resistance to independant testing. This would seem to support Mr. Lomax`s theory that IH fully knew what they were risking in this venture and that they had a plan in place to address different outcomes \ scenarios· They knew full well what they were doing. This is encouraging to me about thier other LENR reasearch

• Bob, why would the fact that IH screwed the pooch investing with Rossi, KNOWING about his deficiencies, be encouraging in any way? They probably made the same identical mistake (not insisting on properly independent and competent testing) with all their other LENR investments.

• Seems a bit weird to me. If I asked the IRS if you (or Joe's Diner) have paid your taxes I would expect a dusty answer. That kind of information should not be in the public domain. Unless of course accounts have been filed, in which case for a small fee they might be visible, somewhere.

We don't know. IH has not disclosed the source of their information, but the massive Annesser response indicates that they poked a nerve. They probably had information from somewhere. Rossi talks a lot, on-line. He might talk a lot in person, and ... Barry West spent a huge amount of time with him and Fabiani. Long hours. Bored. What does one talk about? I know, the effing IRS!

It is also possible that they simply guessed, from his history. But I rather doubt it.

All of this reminds me not to ever attempt to screw over a $2.2 billion corporation. It's just a Really Bad Idea. If they are nice people, they might not actually kill you. But they could.

Cherokee is not IH, but IH has access to massive assets if needed, through Darden and others. So what if Barry West was actually a highly trained spy, knowing how to get people to open up and reveal secrets? These are skills. I know, because I had some of them naturally, and then was trained in addition. I would never use this to harm people, but there are others who are not so principled about it. Psy ops. Available for not all that much money. Hey, APCO, if you need them, but I don't know that they have the specific skills I'm thinking about. Private investigators would. Some police do.

Or maybe Barry was just handy with a soldering iron, whether or not Rossi told him about taxes. I surely don't know. I'm just a writer, beginning to get out a bit.

• Hey, something to ask him about, next time we talk.

• Bob, why would the fact that IH screwed the pooch investing with Rossi, KNOWING about his deficiencies, be encouraging in any way? They probably made the same identical mistake (not insisting on properly independent and competent testing) with all their other LENR investments.

Unlikely they would have made the same mistakes. AR was the active variable resulting in Penon being selected. From reports, IH wanted someone from a certification institute to work alongside Penon, but AR wouldn't allow it. In retrospect, I'm sure they would have insisted on a truly independent tester even if it had resulted in AR terminating the relationship. I agree that to work in this area, one should absolutely insist on the independent test with a party completely selected by someone other than the inventor.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.