Can we talk about Holmlid?

• Official Post

This is somewhat unrelated with the above, but in the context of interesting information in relatively older papers by Holmlid et al, in dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10948-011-1371-6 (2012, paywalled) it is mentioned that a [static] magnetic field > 0.05T removes and prevents the formation of the ultra-dense phase of hydrogen (still called H(-1) at the time), converting it to higher energy states (regular Rydberg matter).

I thionk your point important - and perhaps closely related. I think we need to be very careful when discussing EM field effects on LENR since there is so much contradictory information (sometimes from the same source) on the topic. Since the prime source of an external magnetic field in most reactors is the heating element, perhaps we should consider the effect of this first.

Rossi, Parkhomov, and others have used various types of AC (single-phase/three-phase) as well as phase controllers and Triac/SCR systems for voltage control, there is a body of evidence to suggest that 'dirty' poly-phase current is no obstacle to LENR events. So it may be that 'ordinary' Rydberg Hydrogen is enough. I have certainly seen 'bumps' when using single phase AC with and without Triac voltage controllers, and when using DC, with and without PWM intervention in the heater circuit. I should point out here that as an equipment manufacturer as well as a researcher I have little wish to attempt to sell more stuff on the basis of such claims. Since the conditions are largely uncharacterised and I can offer no guarantees I don't make a few thermal bumps into a fanfare event. We are not talking about self sustain or 'heat after death' here.

But I must confess that with relatively low numbers of amp-turns in the solenoidal-form heaters I use (300A/t perhaps) the influence of the field on a fuel sample, even in the strongest magnetic zone is relatively tiny. I have also tried offering up 'Killer' Neodymium magnets to the system without seeing any effect. But that was a year or so back- i have learned better methods and improved my reactors since then.

So my conclusion is that 'the jury is out' on magnetism external to the reactor core- unless it is very powerful, because there is evidence to suggest that rapidly changing ANYTHING can stimulate and inhibit LENR reactions, though donning clean socks has not helped in my case. :)

Thank you for your inputs here btw, it really is much appreciated.

• I have suspected this for a long time, but I finally found confirmation about this in the words of Holmlid in one of the papers published in the past (2014) that I happened to read by chance while looking for something else.

The transition of hydrogen to the ultra-dense state is highly exothermic and could explain some of the observations in LENR experiments that do not appear to involve any nuclear reaction.

This is what Mills says since about 20 years...

I think we need to be very careful when discussing EM field effects on LENR since there is so much contradictory information (sometimes from the same source) on the topic. Since the prime source of an external magnetic field in most reactors is the heating element, perhaps we should consider the effect of this first.

Some use a double winded forth/back current heater coils where the fields cancel!
    But to squeeze hydrogen into the particles You need the super-waves. I think You have to have intermitting cycles with load/heat production.

• Official Post

Hi David.

Certainly been thinking about the Hydrogen/Nickel interface a lot this last few weeks. Hank Mills and I are putting together the description/methodology of a radically different method of fuel preparation that we hope really addresses this problem- an approach backed up by a lot of papers from outside the LENR field about hydrogen catalyst activation methods. Should be done by this time next week.

• To Wyttenbach and Alan,
    Nobody thought the reverse ?
    first of all, H is loaded inside skin under 1 micron thickness then during unloading H could better rolling out on the Ni surface ..

@David: That was my and some others conclusion too, we drew after the mfpG5.3 experiment!

Unloading (best) enables the formation of inverse Ryberg matter.

• Spark discharge is fine for fuel preparation. It makes H(0) formation easier, and it loads H(0) with energy in mere minutes with amounts of energy that would take Holmlids laser weeks to do.

Glow discharge is described in the Rossi patent as the EMF stimulation mechanism that controls the online reaction.

Is Alan Smith mixing the two concepts together and confusing them? I suspect that Alan Smith beleive that fuel prep does not need to be performed even though Rossi's patent clearly defines fuel prep as producing 1 to 100 micron sintered particles derived from 5 micron nickel particle feedstock as a separate and distinct operation.

• Official Post

Is Alan Smith mixing the two concepts together and confusing them? I suspect that Alan Smith beleive that fuel prep does not need to be performed even though Rossi's patent clearly defines fuel prep as producing 1 to 100 micron sintered particles derived from 5 micron nickel particle feedstock as a separate and distinct operation.

AXIL! You do me and LFH a disservice. I believe fuel prep is totally important - Hank Mills and I are jointly writing a highly detailed discussion/practical paper on fuel preparation that goes (based on a lot of published science) further into methods, practicalities and the underlying physical chemistry justification than anything that has been seen in this or any other public forum. Prepare to be surprised!

• eros: How are you? Just stumbled over one idea for an RF source: Can you measure anything around 4.46Ghz ?

Not easilly, ofcourse can bend loop antenna and try shotkys rectify, but I think there is not high peaks because ED88T should show 0.1-8Ghz area and it dosn't show any high power level.
    Usb-TV stick spectrometer say same. It show only hundreds of small spikes but not any high power peak in 22-1750Mhz area.

Have not run it some time because healt issues.. (after last time somebody started to talk me inside head, give orders/promises. Maybe One of the seven? )

Ancient data give some hint for use shield ~50cm thick paste made from clay, horse manure and hairs surrounded by steel cover (keep wet?, boron?, ironoxide?). It should conduct/build to earth for avoid broblems if I understand correct. (not tryed yet)
    And there is also ancient rule that allow only "adaptions" so things need to bind already existing things, denying old is not allowed.

• eros Have you thought about making shielding from something like this? <a href="http://www.knauf.co.uk/literature/show/12/safeboard" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">knauf.co.uk/literature/show/12/safeboard</a>

Barium (&calsium) sulphate, maybe. it can put class "earth" and if keep wet should conduct. However it lacs hematite, present in clays. If muons it may need iron to stop them. Or whatever it is. Powerfull One.

• If my previous suggestion that the reaction could be ideally (in practice there may be some difficulties) reduced to the excitation of hydrogen atoms without the need for having any preprocessed powder or surface seemed too far-fetched, look at what Piantelli suggests in one of his patents for increasing the production of what he calls H- (that at this point I think it may be interpreted as some sort of dense hydrogen material rather than literally hydrogen anions):

Text from https://www.google.com/patents/EP2754156B1

• How exothermic it is? Experimentally ultra-dense hydrogen (henceforth called H(0)) has been found to have a bond energy of 630 eV.

Let's assume for the moment that this number is true. I would like to draw out two implications, if they weren't already apparent.

(1) The ultra-dense hydrogen is, then, in a stable phase of matter, apart from the nuclear reactions that can be expected from tunneling at distances of picometers. At room temperature under normal circumstances, there's nothing that will appreciably break the aggregations apart, because 630 eV or more would be needed for this.

(2) Either (a) the force that binds the hydrogen in the clusters is not electromagnetic, nuclear, weak or gravitational, and we need a new fundamental interaction; or (b) we have something like R. Mills or DDL, where an electron allegedly goes into an orbit below the ground state; or (c)?

My bets are that (2)(a) is the case, and Homlid's theoretical interpretation of his experimental results is unphysical.

• That is a hand-wavy argument by Holmlid and Olafsson. They are effectively arguing that the opposite of Coulomb repulsion applies in this case, and they summarily deal with the Heisenberg uncertainty problem. They give the impression of being far out of their depth, and I do not think they would be well received in a physics journal. But I will need to look more closely at the argument when I have time.

You do not need to reply to this if it's not an area you're sufficiently familiar with to argue. Hopefully someone who finds Holmlid and Olafsson's work compelling will help to clarify these questions (perhaps Olafsson, who is occasionally on this forum?). I am exactly pessimistic of getting anywhere productive with Holmlid himself. But this forum provides an opportunity for an educational exchange in those cases where people with relevant expertise are around to weigh in, so hopefully something can be clarified in the present context, if not by you, then perhaps someone else.

• Regarding the implications of pressure drop in Ni-H systems, I am not convinced that my loading test data from GS5.2 demonstrate what Holmlid describes. Here's a useful paper on forced hydrogen loading in bulk Ni:
    http://www2.lbl.gov/ritchie/Li…bine_H2_ActaMater2009.pdf

On pg.3 we see "a uniform hydrogen concentration could be attained in the 4 mm diameter tensile specimen in 120 h by charging at a minimum temperature of 150°C."
    In table 2 (pg.4) we see that the loading ("charging") was done at up to 138 MPa, over 1000 bar pressure. That is clearly not feasible for the average LENR experimenter. But if we assume the penetration of H into the bulk scales linearly with pressure, we can estimate a rate of about 4 um/bar with 120 h of exposure at 150°C.

The AH50 Ni powder used in GS5.2 has an average particle size of around 5 um, and by the above estimate would complete to saturation at 1 bar in around 60 hours. This is an order of magnitude longer than the 5 hours observed in GS5.2, but that loading process shown by the pressure curve was clearly not linear with time. The paper has led me to consider using higher H2 pressure during the pre-processing of Ni powder, perhaps in a strong pressure vessel at ~30 bar.

• http://sdphln.ucsd.edu/~jorge/hole.html

Hole superconductivity is at the bottom of H(0) formation. When a pair of protons get close enough together, they pair up(copper pairing) to reduce kinetic energy. Holmlid references this mechanism in his papers.

Hirsch is reference in Holmlid’s theory of D(0) deuterium as follows:

Neutral multi-MeV/u particles from laser-induced processes in ultra-dense deuterium D(0): accurate two-collector timing and magnetic analysis

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1508/1508.01332.pdf

“Two ultra-dense hydrogen materials have been proved to exist so far, ultra-dense deuterium D(0) [1,2] and ultra-dense protium p(0) [2,3]. They both exist in a few different forms with slightly different bond distances and densities. All these forms may be characterized as spin based Rydberg Matter (RM) [2]. This description is based on a theory developed by J.E. Hirsch [4].”

Hole superconductivity produces metalized hydrides when the Meissner effect expels electrons from the positively charged hole centric core of the hydride.

When hydrogen is sufficiently compressed, the distance between the nuclei is reduced enough for the hole pair to shed kinetic energy and form a copper pair. In this way a super atom is formed where the electrons and holes are separated by a small distance as per Holmlid and Mills. Hirsch explains it all in his many papers.

• http://atom-ecology.russgeorge…/fleischmann-singularity/

The fleischmann singularity illustrtes the requirement of energy loading in the H(0) before the LENR reaction can take hold. The production of a LENR reactive fuel is a multi step process.

The fleischmann singularity shows how the process works.

First, ultra dense hydrogen is formed.

Martin noted that the measure of the density (fugacity) of the heavy hydrogen isotope deuterium electrochemically loaded into palladium surely exceeded that of metallic hydrogen. Indeed he mused to me the calculations based on his measurements put the density of that heavy hydrogen as being well beyond metallic and similar to the density of hydrogen inside the center of a star!

Second, the ultra dense hydrogen must be charged with energy until it reaches a level where mesons can be generated. The energy level has been measured by ionization of a photo emulsion to be in the multiple GeV range.

One long running experiment was with a largish cube of palladium, as I recall about a 1 cm cube. It had been sitting for a very long time, months, in the typical electrolysis bath of heavy water into which a bit of lithium had been introduced to help the electrolyte. It was one of those experiments that explorers often have on the ‘back of the bench’ to watch over a long time frame.

The conditions of the experiment were seemingly quite benign. A tiny amount of DC current amounting a 1 watt or so was being used to electrolyse the heavy water. Oxygen was being produced and bubbled up at the platinum anode and deuterium, heavy hydrogen, bubbled at the palladium cathode cube. Palladium being a sponge for hydrogen was also soaking up the deuterium and that palladium cathode may have been holding as many atoms of deuterium as there were palladium atoms. Surely those deuteriums were not uniformly distributed in the metal but rather concentrated in special locations. This was Fleischmann’s perfect recipe for cold fusion.

• Official Post

But if we assume the penetration of H into the bulk scales linearly with pressure, we can estimate a rate of about 4 um/bar with 120 h of exposure at 150°C.

Hi Alan. I'm pretty sure that Hydrogen absorption is far from linear with temperature/pressure. After all, how can it be? There is resistance (surface charge) and the requirement to supply the dissociation energy for H2-> H+H to be overcome of course, but once that barrier is breached with the right combination P/T then is can be fairly swift. There are some (like a lot) of academic papers on this topic, since nickel is so widely used as a hydrogenation catalyst in industry. If I can find something that looks relevant I'll 'edit it in'' this space.

• The type of transition metal is not the important factor. It is how the metal is surfaced that is important. The hydrogen is compressed into the nanocavities on the surface of the metal. The denser that those cavities are, the greater their number is per unit of surface area, the more effective is the metal at producing H(0), and the more H(0) can be formed. So a metal with the highest density of surface nanocavities provides the most H(0). The broken bonds of the walls of the nanocavity make the compression pressure that can be achieved 10X grater than a unfractured metal lattice.

A microparticle with a surface covered with 3 NM cavities is the best LENR catalyst no matter what the metal type is.

• Holmlid's ideas are great fun, but when examined they have various problems.

(1) (the big one) H(0) would be highly stable and seems relatively easy to generate. So why is it not detected more generally in Physics?
    (2) Unusual electron bindings have very different characteristics from nuclear changes, for example they cannot cause transmutation. You need to argue that the H(0) or D(0) matter is dense enough that fusion can be more easily induced (possibly true). Anyway it is more complex.

Just a point about terminology. Holmlid calls his speculative new state of H or D (originally he had a neat mechanism which only worked for D - that he can row back from this makes the work less compelling) Rydberg matter. That is more by way of analogy than accuracy. As has been pointed out by others Rydberg matter is quite different, where near-vacuum interactions between electrons can form extremely low density stable forms of matter at very low temperatures. The hypothesis for H(0) is completely different and so anything you know about conventional Rydberg matter is not likely to apply to H(0) or D(0) and vice versa.

Holmlid can call his stuff what he wants, but the choice of words here is misleading. It also lends a spurious legitimacy to what is otherwise a highly speculative and not well substantiated idea.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.