Robert V Duncan at TTU: 5Mn$ for hydride research in "Seashore research LLC"

• Official Post

On Cobraf they have found some data on Robert V Duncan in Texas TTU

A company have been created, and 5Mn$ from TTU are granted
    http://www.datalog.co.uk/brows…/SEASHORE+RESEARCH,+L.L.C.

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/irim…BoardMinutes2015_1211.pdf

Research regarding Metal Hydrides; Duncan, Robert V, Senior Vice Président for Research, Office of the Vice President for Research, and Principal Investigator; Seashore Research, LLC $5,000,000 awarded

• If this is based on Rossi's "work", it's the fantasy of a fool, predicated on the idiotic and bombastic claims of a crook. Wonderful. A waste of $5M.

• This is consistent with the work of the Center for the study of Anomalous Heat Effects.
    http://www.iccf19.com/_system/…ster/AP52_Scarborough.pdf

One of the studies described there is into hydrides. This is not about Rossi at all.

$5 million is a nice chunk of change. Where did it come from? Yes, it was appropriated by the University, but where did they get the money for that? General Funds? My guess is not, though it is not impossible. Duncan is the "principal investigator." Seashore Research LLC has Duncan as registered agent. What's going on?

Let's see, do we know of a company that creates or fosters the creation of limited liability companies that can receive investment, that might be interested in "metal hydrides"?

Tough question, I know.

This is speculation, but it would quite consistent with what I know.

It is possible that much more than $5 million has been invested. That was just what the University tossed into the pot. We don't know the nature of the agreement with the University. it might be a specific contract for specific investigations.

• I was hoping to see Duncan participate at next months ICCF20, but I don't see him on the program.

iccf20.net/contents/Program.html

Many of the other LENR standouts still breathing will be there though. Looking forward to see if SRI's Francis Tanzella is more definitive on BE's results.

Duncan has his finger in many pies. As to the Anomalous Heat Effect, there is a project under way, with investigators Duncan, McKubre, Violante, and Scarborough (apparently Duncan's grad student or postdoc?)

Violante and Duncan and Scarborough are not on the program, but we do not know if they will be there or not. However, one of the two keynote speakers, with 40 minutes each, is (see the "for more information" page)

CMNS Research; Past, Present and Future (40) Michael McKubre (Seashore Research, USA)

"Seashore Research" is an LLC formed in Texas. It received an award of $5 million from Texas Tech for investigations into metal hydrides. From the ICCF-19 announcement by Duncan, McKubre, Violante, and Scarborough) this is hydrides and deuterides. And a major project is the confirmation of the heat/helium ratio, repeating with increased precision and more knowledge of what to look for, previous work having been done by Miles, McKubre, Violante, and many others.

Duncan is the registered agent for Seashore Research. I know practically nothing else about Seashore, and I haven't asked McKubre. Yet.

The one I would most think could benefit from ICCF-20 would be Scarborough. I hope they send her. Experience counts, depth counts.

There are many scheduled presentations of high interest. Want to know more about Brillouin? Two talks, not just one, including Tanzella:

Yay, MFMP!!!

Robert Duncan is on the International Advisory Committee for ICCF-20, as is Violante, and many other familiar names: http://iccf20.net/contents/Organization.html

• A couple more Seashore Research docs - which i think are new. last page of the pdf is the most interesting.

This contribution is of such high value that I am taking Alan off block, though if he prefers that I maintain the block so I am not normally tempted to respond to him, he can let me know.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…89-Donation-Duncan-1-pdf/

This documents a $6 million gift specifically for LENR research, with declared research goals. The gift is understood to be matched by the State of Texas, with another $6 million. This is larger in impact, then, than the Sydney Kimmel donation establishing SKINR at the University of Missouri at Columbia. Some of the work is difficult, but they have the expertise on board, and the first goal will almost certainly produce results of high import, and likely to create further financial impact when published, and this is not secret work, though it will follow ordinary confidentiality in process. People get ready, there is a train coming.

The donor is anonymous, but this is activity that I predicted Industrial Heat would undertake (efforts designed to pull in public funding, which is where, indeed, APCO may be involved). I have some evidence as to the identity of the donor, but ... it doesn't matter.

LENR has definitely turned the corner.

I am slightly disappointed. The original grant document was dated October 31, 2014. This appears to include the initial budget. Their priority is the work I strongly suggested in my Current Science paper published in February, 2015. So this was already under way, I can't take credit for it! Boo hoo! However ... great minds think alike.

I was, in fact, flogging this research for several years, mostly privately on the CMNS list, and I do know that what I found about reverse electrolysis releasing surface-trapped helium has had an influence. My point here is not to toot my own horn, but to point out what is possible for a non-scientist who decides to become informed, and who maintains skepticism while also seeing the possibilities. Those who do this can make a difference. They become a bridge to the mainstream, and funding can be attracted and defended, and cold fusion can come in out of the cold. Besides, it's fun.

The budget included a high-resolution mass spectrometer for $500K. They are not messing around. Further, this is an ongoing project and it would be consistent with it to make analytical services available to other researchers, under appropriate conditions. That will take a sampling protocol, such as what Miles used.

I knew this was happening, but did not have specifics. I'm cheering. Let's hear it for real science! -- and for those who support it!

--- the original grant is documented in this public file: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/6585.PDF?CFID=47538672&CFTOKEN=88674505 page 18, and then page 39 for the amendment.

• If they had bought that equipment used, Duncan would have had a lot more reserve cash at his disposal. Good news though.

Maybe. However, the same argument applies to, say, cars. It is insane to buy a new car? The car loses substantial value when you drive it off the lot. However, it also comes with perks. It may have the latest and greatest technology. It may be warranteed, it may include a service contract guaranteeing uptime.

Consider the grad student (probably) who will run that mass spec. They will be learning on the latest technology, not something years old. That enhances its value for their future. Definitely, major projects sometimes buy used. We do not, in fact, know if this is new or used. What if it is a used million-dollar mass spec? We don't know what they actually bought.

The funding here is not "penny-pinching." They are claiming they will avoid fluff, like staff no longer needed because the work moved on. I thought that the heat/helium job could be done for $1 million, but that was a rough guess and did not really include salaries and major consulting fees. This is supporting McKubre and Violante, among others (such as two grad students and some miscellaneous consultants.)

LENR has definitely turned the corner.

Highly doubtful. Tell me that in five years when you demonstrate a robust, entirely self-sustaining LENR reaction. Yah shoore.

• The claim doesn't reference a particular system or power level. My comment applies to all the lame claims that someone has accomplished a proven LENR reaction. In any context, the idea that "LENR has turned the corner" (whatever exactly that means) is simply specious and ignorant. Regardless of which system you're referring to.

How long has Duncan been spending Sidney Kimmel megabucks? And what does he have to show for it thus far?

Oh... McKubre gets $1250 per day plus all expenses and Duncan gets $82,500 a year plus 32% fringe benefits for 1/4 of his time. Not bad. I wish the oil and nuclear fission companies paid me as well, not to mention lazy old APCO.

• If they had bought that equipment used, Duncan would have had a lot more reserve cash at his disposal.

I strongly recommend buying new laboratory equipment. I have had many unfortunate experiences with used laboratory equipment, and used and old computer equipment. Researchers such as Mizuno use a lot of equipment from the 1970s and 80s and in some cases from the 1950s. They end up doing a lot of extra work keeping these machines working. Mizuno does not mind it because as he says, "I am an analog human in a digital world." But I think younger researchers would mind.

If you need a high-tech gadget for any purpose, I recommend buying the latest model. Analytical equipment such as SEM have made vast strides in recent years. It is much more capable, and easier to use. The difference is as great as the difference between my manual shift 1994 Geo Metro (which has zero computers and no electronic or electric anything except the fuel injection and the cigarette lighter), and a Tesla with the latest automatic driving features.

• Though try fixing a Tesla yourself.

No can do. I have not seen a Tesla but I own a Prius. It is like a digital watch. It is not the product of human hands. Only a robot can make make such a thing. All is modular.

With a cheap OBD reader and access to eBay, you could fix 95% of problems in your 'Suzuki Swift'...

True. I leave it up to a gang of 70-something mechanics at Georgetown Auto, which is located next door to the high school in the year 1965. When they retire, the car will have to go. One of them told me, "I've seen riding mowers with engines bigger than that."

• Quote: “LENR has definitely turned the corner.”

Highly doubtful. Tell me that in five years when you demonstrate a robust, entirely self-sustaining LENR reaction. Yah shoore.

MY, I have to ask....
    Since Texas U is not on your list of "major universities" that I have seen you post (not saying you were posting a complete list), if they publish positive findings
    will that enable you to say "there is more to this CF story than what I have seen in the past and there may very well be room for optimism" ? Or because you have already
    determined and labeled Dr. Duncan unqualified and incapable of "true science" that the case is already closed and nothing published from them can ever change your view?

Is it the fact that Texas U is formally willing to investigate LENR /CF that they are automatically disqualified in your mind? Please note I am not trying to "push your button" on this. Is the SKINR project at Missouri U. also in the category of "not a major university" and incapable of serious research? I seriously like to know how you view this situation.

Please note that because 5 years has went by with little known about success, that is not a valid observation of failure. Many new technologies went as long or longer without a major break through.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.