“Nature’s Energy” — New Video Introducing Brillouin Energy

• Official Post

[feedquote='E-Cat World','http://www.e-catworld.com/2016/09/10/natures-energy-new-video-introducing-brillouin-energy/']Thanks to Mats002 for pointing out this new video that has been produced by Brillouin Energy Corp titled “Nature’s Energy”. It provides an introduction to Brillouin and features members of the Billouin team talking about their technology. The features speakers are: Robert Godes — Founder, President and Chief Technology Officer Robert W. George — CEO […][/feedquote]

• This is not very different from the Focardi Effect. If Brillouin would add lithium, they might seen a dramatic increase in power production. Of course they could never commercialize a nickel - lithium reactor, because that technology belongs to Rossi.

• This is not very different from the Focardi Effect.

Can you summarize what you believe to be the "Focardi effect"? To my knowledge, Focardi never talked about electron capture.

What Brillouin are describing in the video they refer to as "controlled electron capture," and Godes makes it clear that it is a proton that is capturing an electron and becoming a neutron. This kind of electron capture is an endothermic process, and it bears some resemblance to the widely disbelieved Widom-Larsen theory. If free neutrons were being produced within palladium or nickel, one would expect indiscriminate radiative capture (capture of a neutron followed by a the emission of a gamma photon to the ground state), in which unstable radionuclides are created as a result. In addition, since the neutron capture cross section is always finite, one would expect gobs of neutrons to escape the system and set off neutron detectors if there was any appreciable heat that was being generated.

That does not mean there is not controlled electron capture taking place, or that Brillouin are not seeing excess heat, which they might be accurately observing. If heavier nuclides unstable against electron capture or beta decay were capturing electrons directly, instead of protons capturing them and then the neutrons that were formed reacting with lattice sites, you'd have a release of energy as well as isotope shifts that look vaguely like neutron capture. There would be a remaining problem of delayed gamma emission after beta decay, but I wonder whether this would happen as much if the electron capture/beta decay were induced, in contrast to spontaneous processes that occur in naturally unstable nuclei.

Rossi's technology could well be covered by one or more of Piantelli's prior patents. This is no doubt why there has been efforts on both sides to get one another's patents invalidated.

• No test results, "indipendent" or otherwise. No content. Nothing which can be fact checked. Just smoke and hopes and wishes. Those are cheap and plentiful and we don't need another Defkalion or Rossi to sell them. No idea why they made this except maybe to extract more cash from not very smart investors. Eric, it's again: JUST CLAIMS. And we already know what claims are worth from more than five years of Rossifiction.

And McKubre is conspicuous by his absence. If he doesn't endorse it, it has to be extra special super bad.

Oh... and the forum is being spammed big time. Is there an efficient way to report that to someone who can do something about it?

Too late Mary- all gone. Unless you are referring to another poster besides 'manymen'?

Thanks. I guess now, I have to get my passport the usual way.

• This is not very different from the Focardi Effect. If Brillouin would add lithium, they might seen a dramatic increase in power production. Of course they could never commercialize a nickel - lithium reactor, because that technology belongs to Rossi.

Well, perhaps he has claimed a patent. But if the patent doesn't work, i.e, if someone POSITA follows the instructions, and they are inadequate, it's worthless and would not protect against later patents that disclosed something that made it work.

I met Godes in 2012. Nice guy. He explained his theory a little. I hear "neutrons" and fall immediately into a trance. Neutron theories have enormous problems, and making the neutrons is just the beginning.

Fortunately, one can have a wrong theory and still make things that work. Storms is not correct, theory of mechanism (at that level) is not essential. Only when it is nailed so that it can make quantitative predictions does it become particularly useful.

I am *far* more interesting in experimental results, hang the theory. At least for now. More data! Controlled experiments! Yes!!!

He declares the "not fusion" trope. If he is generating some kind of reasonable power level, even a few watts, if it is sustained, he should be able to identify the ash.

Mostly, I have a bit of a distaste for the secret commercial work. But it is his right to do it this way, we have no right to demand openness and disclosure. I said the same thing about Rossi in 2011, etc. Maybe I'll have a chance to talk with him again, I would suggest disclosing older results. A rising tide lifts all boats, and collective enterprise is overall more efficient than purely individual. Usually.

• Yes, it would be nice if McKubre would pipe up and discuss this (I think Tanzella is also involved).

SRI was retained by Brillouin. When I visited in 2012, Godes had just gotten his SRI badge. I very much doubt that McKubre is going to say a word without Brillouin permission. Michael was one of the few people on the planet who made a living from cold fusion, and he didn't do it by being Mr. Blabbermouth. If Tanzella reports on Brillouin, he serves two masters, in addition to Science: Brillouin and SRI. I do trust SRI, I doubt they will allow their name to be used to promote any kind of fraud, etc. And I trust Tanzella as well. I'm just saying that we will not necessarily be told the whole story.

I'm now talking more with people involved in confidential research. They will tell me so much under a promise of nondisclosure, and they they come to something and "I can't talk about that." I never attempt to get them to disclose it.

If I had a true need to know, I'd attempt to negotiate. Mostly, though, we, speaking for the community, are just curious. I'm supporting initiatives to share information. It must be voluntary.

• Focardi produced excess heat by performing a number of different processes on nickel samples (chemical cleaning, annealing, vacuuming, washing with hydrogen) before allowing hydrogen absorption to commence. These processes are very similar to Brillouin's. There are no huge differences between his work and Brillouin's except nickel powder is being used and electromagnetic frequencies are further stimulating the reactions. Regardless what processes are taking place to release the excess heat, the Brillouin tech is based on the Focardi tech. The Rossi tech dramatically enhances it with the application of catalysts such as lithium. As Me356 has told us, lithium is an easy and quick shortcut to massive excess heat.

• I'm convinced the Rossi patent works. The problem is that there are additional variables that we do not understand that make successful replication very spotty. A small number of replicators seem to have produced excess heat using Ni-LiAlH4 pretty much with the first attempt -- Parkhomov, Songsheng, Songsheng's assistant, Stepanov, and others. Of course I'm personally aware of MANY other replicators who have produced very, very little or ZERO excess heat after many attempts. I think throwing nickel and LiAlH4 in a reactor without considering how to control many different variables (cleanliness of the nickel, how to pre-process the nickel, controlling the pressure in the reactor, etc) is a recipe for failure most of the time. However, the successful tests prove the patent CAN indeed work. I just think the patent is vague and doesn't make it overly simple for someone "skilled in the art" to replicate -- unless they get lucky right away.

I totally agree with you that RESULTS are what matter right now. Theory is interesting, but it is not going to move this field forward. What I am hoping for are some new teams to come forward with results NOT FROM LUCK but via trial and error. This is how Rossi figured out how to optimize the E-Cat. However, this kind of testing is not what 98% of replicators are interested in. And I honestly doubt -- although I could be wrong -- IH performed extensive testing of the basic effect.

• Parkhomov has not exactly shown good enough data to show that he has something. His COP is decreasing with better experiments. The power measuring and averaging leaves something to be desired in his early experiments, which makes it very hard to see what is actually happening when the reported excess heat begins. The conduction issue through the tubes he used may be an issue, but so far no one has actually done an experiment that demonstrates this can actually explain the excess heat. (Alan G did show that conduction can be a problem, but did not "fool" a thermocouple.)

All of the Jiang experiments had thermocouple over heat/melting problems, and are therefore cannot be considered to be reliable data.

Jiang's student-assistant did a perfect null experiment, although it gas been called otherwise by many.

I haven't looked at Stepanov enough to decide anything about it.

The examples from the first three experimentalists above are not strong verifications of the so-called Rossi Effect.

I will look at the Stepanov stuff when I can.

• I heard another reason why Parkhomov's excess heat may have declined -- he has been using a different source of nickel. The original nickel he used has been all but completely depleted. In my opinion, his very first tests were the best, and his current tests have been of lesser quality.

When it comes to Songsheng, I have had it confirmed to me by people with practical experience with K-type thermocouples that a damaged or melted device will give a LOWER reading rather than a HIGHER reading. Although I agree with some skeptics that he should attempt to repeat the test with B type thermocouples (apparently he was having problems getting the auxillary equipment to go with them), I think his tests were good enough to show high levels of excess heat.

Stepanov's team reported a series of meltdowns before achieving runs that lasted long enough to produce excess heat. I believe they have published two or three different papers, one in which a COP of 2 or higher was found with water flow calorimetry.

There is an additional Russian team that has done testing showing excess heat as well. I don't remember the names of the researchers.

I'm convinced that Ni-LiAlH4 is capable of producing very high levels of excess heat even in some very sloppy experiments in which the parameters of the experiment are not controlled.

• Question :When will a reputable University physics department ever be called on to test any of the high number of cold fusion/ LENR claims?
    Answer: Never, as long as donors/investors are willing to give the claimants money without proper verification.

• Your argument is refuted by the fact universities and governments give hot fusion scientists billions of dollars to perform hot fusion research despite:

- Any proof that significant excess heat capable of industrial use will ever be produced.

- Any hope that there will be a commercial reactor within thirty years.

Instead, hot fusion has became a massive money pit in which there are no practical results.

Cold fusion experiments, on the other hand, cost a thousand or ten thousand times less to perform and many of them have already yielded excess heat, transmutations, isotope shifts, etc.

• Oxidized and decaying thermocouples read slightly to somewhat low. Melted and broken ones obviously cannot be relied on at all. Galvanic effects can cause high or low thermocouple readings, depending on chemistry and which lead is most affected. Conductive effects can read high or low, but commonly high due to the fact that the voltage must be high enough to leak in the first place. Galvanic and ground loop effects can occur easily with broken thermocouple leads.

• A quick look at the Stepanov et al paper, from the Emerging Science journal, from 2015, shows that the T1 and T2 are the same for a period of time. This is a transient anomaly, IMO. The outside thermocouple is located at what is normally the hottest part of the coil, while the internal thermocouple is at what should be the coolest part of the inner tube. These temperatures should be the same for only a short time in a temperature ramp. Normally (steady state) the inside is hotter than the outside, but the tube end is cooler than the "real" inside, due to cooling pathways. So when the inside finally gets hotter than the outer coil, this is the normal situation, but is delayed in this experiment by the position of the inner thermocouple, which is exposed to a higher cooling rate from being at the end of the tube. The crossover here, where the inside gets hotter than the outside is not excess heat. It is what these tubes do.

This is the same as Jiang's assistant's results. Dead normal concentric hot tube operation. Easily spotted by doing plenty of null experiments.

• Official Post

Oxidized and decaying thermocouples read slightly to somewhat low. Melted and broken ones obviously cannot be relied on at all. Galvanic effects can cause high or low thermocouple readings, depending on chemistry and which lead is most affected. Conductive effects can read high or low, but commonly high due to the fact that the voltage must be high enough to leak in the first place. Galvanic and ground loop effects can occur easily with broken thermocouple leads.

I agree. There is a suspicion in some quarters that faulty thermocouples will often read high. I operated both prototype and pilot-plants with multiple thermocouples (polymerisation reactors, bulk hydrogenation reactors etc) often in the 70's and 80's.Cannot recall one ever 'failing high'. At LFH I have probably run 30 or 40 TC' to destruction point. Never had one 'fail high.' The only way I could see this happening would be a gross wiring fault in the reactor heater supply, or a current leak of mysterious origin. Ground-loops are sometimes problematic - but they generally seem to result in 'error' readings on the 3 different systems I use to check and cross-check (Arduino-based data-logger, 2 types of digital thermometers, PID sensor) .

ETA - here I am only talking about TC's in a non-liquid environment.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.