Rossi vs IH: (Update: Sep. 9 20– James A. Bass now a Third Party in IH’s Counter Complaint)

• Quote from STDM

You blocked me because I asked you to show me an expert review of Lugano, and you couldn't say that there are none available. That would be a painfull concession for you. Sorry again for hurting your feelings.

Here is an expert review of Lugano, one of several Abd is aware of. That is, it is substantive, it is expertly written, and has conclusions that have withstood very considerable critiques, unlike the original report.

It is also very well known by everyone here so I don't understand the point of your question.

• STDM wrote:

Here is an expert review of Lugano, one of several Abd is aware of. That is, it is substantive, it is expertly written, and has conclusions that have withstood very considerable critiques, unlike the original report.

It is also very well known by everyone here so I don't understand the point of your question.

Thanks, THH. That was certainly not why I blocked STDM. I don't block people for asking inconvenient questions. I would just ignore them -- or decline to respond -- if I had that reaction. I block them for a high density of trolling comments, occasionally for repeated and fingers-stuffed-in-ears argument, and rarely (once?) for a single post beyond the pale, clearly demonstrating the uselessness of conversation.

There is no ready way to go back, and "blocking" is not a serious action. It is easily done and easily undone. Because posts still show up in Unread, and for other reasons, I may still notice posts of blocked users. In this case, I don't recall the exact occasion for the block, but the behavior displayed here (mind-reading to create a "weak" motive, trolling for response, I'd think), if part of a repeated pattern, would be enough.

Of course there are expert reviews, and I had in mind McKubre and have mentioned that one at least once. It becomes tedious to repeat this stuff over and over. So I'm glad to leave that job to others.

• Jed wrote:

Here is another by McKubre, which is less technical, therefore easier to understand:infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue118/analysis.html

The review is quite good for the most part, and you know I am not fond of McKubre (scientifically of course... personally, I don't know him). But then he has to go say something like the below:

On the whole I am encouraged. Considerably more work is obviously needed to validate the adopted mode of calorimetry and support better sampling and testing. But we are given something we can sink our teeth into both experimentally and theoretically: testable fuel to products nuclear burn at temperatures that have practical, economic and social potential. These are exciting times and Rossi (and his sponsors) and the research team of Levi, Foschi, Höistad, Pettersson and Tegnér, as well as Hanno Essén, are to be commended for their tenacious pursuit of what at times must have seemed a thankless job. The world looks forward to more.

Instead of that, he should have noted that using a thermal camera and a hot cat hung out in plain air without forced cooling is a simply idiotic way to try to demonstrate that the ecat concept and fuel formula work. He should have remarked how much easier it is to use a low temperature ecat and a setup like Levi's original fluid cooled mass flow (forced flow) arrangement but of course with proper calibration which Levi never did. I wonder if he made the conclusion I cited above, knowing about Rossi's extensive criminal background and past failures including the thermoelectric debacle in which he defrauded DOD and delivered junk. If he know about it, he should have mentioned it, even if politely. It bears on the credibility of all Rossi-involved tests. If he didn't know about it, he should have done better background research. But the actual discussion is quite good and quite complete. I just wish he had given more consideration to the possibility of cheating, fraud, and sleight of hand... especially because it is looking more and more clearly like that is all the ecat ever was and is.

• Instead of that, he should have noted that using a thermal camera and a hot cat hung out in plain air without forced cooling is a simply idiotic way to try to demonstrate that the ecat concept and fuel formula work.

Evidently he did not think this is idiotic. Neither do I. You do, and you also seem to think that everyone should automatically agree with you. That's odd. Has it occurred to you that McKubre might know more about calorimetry than you do, or -- for that matter -- Fleischmann might know more about electrochemistry, and the Nuclear Safety Div. experts at BARC might know more about tritium than you do? Perhaps you not the World Class Expert in Everything that you imagine yourself to be.

• Quote from "FUD Abd in slander mode"

Perhaps you can"t help but wonder because this paranoia is endemic. No. He has nothing to do with IH, nor with APCO, nor with Jones Day. His suggestion came after I had begun to comment. As to "flooding forums," well, your forum may be flooded. Mine has one less writer cluttering it, Timar. We are free to select what we read.I've been reading back, old Gluck posts, etc. Veritable mountains of drek. People agreeing back and forth over total nonsense. Like e-catnews? Feel free to "invest" your time there!When I block, I always look at the posting history, to see if I might be missing something of value. Nope. Just distraction, temptations to respond to unreal questions, pokes and prods and fluff.

"Mountains of drek" ... you dont say... :P Browsing through the endless flow of Abdulla subjective pseudo legal "analysis" BS, this comment stands out from a psychological perspective... And as for "flooding", I guess you could feel that way since you do not have to read your own posts... That would reduce the flood significantly. Your lack of self-awareness in this respect is amazing ... (and you are supposed to be "trained"... ehh?)

My take is that the Apco references ticks you off for a reason... Of course your lawyer friend is an Apco/JD op. Why would he otherwise bother about you vomiting dog shit all over the place? Your motives are way to transparent for your role Abdulla - reflect-repent-reboot... (or go talk to the dog prophet of yours ... she might have a clue)

• Official Post

Sifferkoll,

Hydrofusion could end some, or all, of this madness right now if they simply sold one of their 1MWs to a real customer. Or at the least, make a public statement of support for Rossi and the Ecat technology they are licensed to sell. Maybe mention plans going forward, or something like that. Doing so would keep APCO at bay, bring IH back to the negotiating table, and maybe even put Abd at a loss for words. :)

HFs total silence though...while understandable to Alan, speaks volumes to me.

Take care.

• Here is an expert review of Lugano, one of several Abd is aware of. That is, it is substantive, it is expertly written, and has conclusions that have withstood very considerable critiques, unlike the original report.

TC is a self described expert, he is not an known expert in infrared thermographic calorimetry. It's strange that he asked for an answer while he doesn't have any professional or practical experience. He could always send an email to his colleagues at ICL to check out his findings. But then he could embarrass himself for making basic mistakes.

If you don't have the right scientific qualifications, your findings doesn't matter.

• Sifferkoll,

Hydrofusion could end some, or all, of this madness right now if they simply sold one of their 1MWs to a real customer. Or at the least, make a public statement of support for Rossi and the Ecat technology they are licensed to sell. Maybe…

Are you joking? Do you really think that anything will convince the sceptics here? After 10 million of IH, 50 million of WF, Lugano report, ERV report of Penon, testimonies of Fabiani, Focardi....

• Loss for words? I'll die first. That, folks, is a real possibility at my age. I just had a nuclear stress test. I'm still a little radioactive, I don't have a Geiger counter or I'd check, they use Technetium 99m. Metastable state, cool! Metastable nuclei may be involved in the cold fusion missing gammas. Technetium 99m has a half-life of 6 hours.

This test was in a cardiology office. The tech told me she gets the Tc each morning. She mentioned the issue of shortages and that there are now "moly cows," and so ... I think a local hospital is distributing 99mTc every morning, or some business. She said the cost of the 99mTc for each procedure was $20. If used continually, a moly cow could produce all the needs for a local region. According to the Wikipedia article, they need replacement weekly.

I talked with the physician's assistant administering the stress test, herself. She said that she wears a film badge. Some time back, it was showing low but measurable exposure. The others involved were not showing that. They realized that she was positioning herself closer to the patient, supporting him or her. Her manner was excellent. Because I asked, she spent substantial time going over the images from the gamma camera. These are 142 keV gammas, and I wondered how they imaged. I could tell from the camera that there were really two cameras, at ninety degrees from each other. I guessed they were using pinholes. I guessed correctly.

Because of Rossi v. Darden, Rossi cannot arrange the sale of the two or three reactor assemblies that were made. He would have to build new reactors. But if he is willing to work with others, that could readily be done in Sweden. If HF actually has working reactors, putting them to work for the sale of heat would be an obvious move. If this actually happened, I would be thrilled. So would IH, I suspect, because it might only take a little legal action and they would be filthy rich.

The obstacle to this is certainly not IH, nor is it the fantasy army of "paid FUD." It would be Rossi himself, and how he has treated his "partners." Instead of focusing on marketing what he has, he is following will-o-the-wisps, $89 million that he is not going to get from IH -- even if his reactor worked! -- and "improvements" that create endless postponements of what he has said is the only real test: the market. I've known engineers like that. If management doesn't restrain them, they can kill a company because of market delay.

• Official Post

Are you joking? Do you really think that anything will convince the sceptics here? After 10 million of IH, 50 million of WF, Lugano report, ERV report of Penon, testimonies of Fabiani, Focardi....

STDM,

No, of course I am not joking. If HF wanted, they could put an end to this tomorrow. As Rossi has said a million times -the market will prove his technology and win over the critics, so too could HF by selling, or demonstrating, their 1MW product. They are not only licensees, but also hold a special place in Rossi's heart. They even host the "official Leonardo website". If the tech is real, and they would know by now, at this very moment they are sitting on the greatest innovation in energy history, yet not a peep out of them. Weird if you ask me.

For that matter, nothing is stopping Rossi from doing something similar, that would accomplish the same. Even with this lawsuit going on (he initiated it in the first place) he could lay the issue to rest...although Alan played one of his LENR cards by claiming Rossi is rumored to be doing just that. We will see about that though.

Even the most ardent skep could not argue against (at least for long), with an Ecat working as advertised in a customers factory for all to see.

• Shane D.

I wonder if HF is going along with Rossi's apparent desire to cast doubt in the minds of some on whether the e-Cat really works. It is a frustrating tactic. The only logical purpose behind such a move is to try to get out of the IH contract by proving breach, and to try and get IH out of the picture. If everyone knows the e-Cat works, then this task becomes harder. To be honest, I'm tiring of the games.

TC is a self described expert, he is not an known expert in infrared thermographic calorimetry.

That is to my knowledge false. I cannot remember TC describing himself as an expert. Retract or substantiate please.

It's strange that he asked for an answer while he doesn't have any professional or practical experience.

That is an unproven assertion. Like many others here he could have had some professional (and practical experience). How relevant to the matter at hand is unclear, I agree. But as I understand it the Lugano testers originally said they would answer questions. Without being an expert, but with enough physics and maths to know what spectral emissivity and the Planck curve is, I can agree with Paradigmnoia here and validate that his basic critique was correct. As have a number of others including MFMP now. Are you saying you are not personally able to do this? [Alan I realised they have rowed back from this, very sensibly, and are now clammed up tight as a newly calked hull. I'm not trying to open that debate].

He could always send an email to his colleagues at ICL to check out his findings. But then he could embarrass himself for making basic mistakes.

So there are a number of assumptions you make here:

• He did not consult colleagues (how do you know)?
    • He made basic mistakes (it would appear from what others say that he made no substantive mistakes)
    • That he thought corroboration from a colleague would make mistakes less likely

After all, Levi consulted colleagues and still made the same (universally acknowledged) mistake conflating total and band emissivity, thinking that a single number would do for both.

If you don't have the right scientific qualifications, your findings doesn't matter.

That is proof by qualification. it is not the way science is supposed to work and largely not the way it does work. Luckily, work can be critiqued and recognised based on its quality. Otherwise, MFMP, being unqualified amateurs, would never be able to publish anything. Absurd.

More importantly your view is that scientific qualifications determine merit. That is far from the case, for example you can and do get eminent scientists in one field straying into some area they know little about and being very wrong. Because science is very diverse, and no-one can validate and qualify a scientist in some little sub-area of research, work has to be validated on its quality as judged by other people who critique the work. It certainly helps if those doing this are suitably expert but many people can detect quality based on internal consistency and the substance and coherence of arguments if they have a decent background knowledge and ability to follow maths. In scientific peer review you are lucky if you get 2 proper experts out of three reviewers.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Once you appoint qualified guardians of truth, however you measure them, you have a problem. Better the freeforall of scientific publishing and critique - with hundreds of thousands of different journals each with different ideas of quality.

• And then TenOfAllTrades argues against this. Whenever I took these kinds of issues to RfCs or other consensus process, these people would lose. So ... they solved the problem. They banned me.

Guy is a nonscientist who knows an electrochemist whom he talked to years ago, and Guy believes he knows what the "scientific consensus is," so he can make that assessment. There is no "Journal of Scientific Consensus." There is probably a general opinion, still, among physicists, that cold fusion was "rejected long ago," is how McKubre expressed it. But cold fusion is not actually a physics topic, as the mechanism is unknown. The experimental work is almost entirely chemistry. The article, like much ignorant speculation about cold fusion, is heavily theory-dependent. Brian Josephson (the Nobelist) has heavily confronted this at times. They would ban him if they could, but it's enough for them that they revert his changes (which are often "rejectable." Wikipedia policy is arcane, most get it completely wrong. But on fact, Brian was right. What was missing: support from ordinary editors.)

If anyone is interested in shifting the Wikipedia article toward what Wikipedia policy would require, contact me privately. It would not be difficult. I have suggested this before. The response is underwhelming. Most people do not care enough. it takes patience and focus.

Notice Guy's argument. "It cannot be used to promote fringe views." Is covering a topic on Wikipedia based on what is in reliable source "promoting fringe views"? That has been his position from the beginning, that such coverage was "promotion." He was obsessed with it. He has an obvious point of view that, expressed as he did, violated Wikipedia policies. He was actually reprimanded, but ... this is what administrators like him discovered. He could simply ignore it as long as he did not directly use his administrative tools. He could blatantly push his point of view, and did and continues to do so. Any ordinary user who does that (or who appears to do that as in my case) can easily be banned by the administrative cabal.

The cold fusion article is under "disretionary sanctions," a process that was more or less invented at the time I was involved. It seemed like a good idea, but the enforcement realities on Wikipedia simply gave adminstrators more power, and this has been used that way. Very few people know how to appeal to the Arbitration committee, it is enormously time-consuming, and raising a fuss is considered disruptive. It is not uncommon that someone raises an issue before the Committee, they are confirmed, and get banned. they shoot the messenger.

I was actually much more of a Wikipedian than a "cold fusion believer." I was attempting to move the article toward policy compliance. To do that took the presentation of evidence on the Talk page. And, of course, "wall of text!" Same old same old. It was working, so .... what happened happened.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.