Rossi vs IH: (Update: Sep. 9 20– James A. Bass now a Third Party in IH’s Counter Complaint)

• If you don't have the right scientific qualifications, your findings doesn't matter.

By this standard, we can safely disqualify any statement made by AR about his devices. Indeed, this may also apply to Penon depending on how far you want to take this (such as must a person have a doctorate directly related to the field of study?). We could also probably disqualify the Lugano report given that the authors did not have doctorates in thermodynamics.

I'm not trying to suggest that qualifications don't matter. They do. But they do no automatically confer objectivity, proper methods, or proper analysis. Levi et. al. were probably not adequately qualified to conduct this test on the basis of prior experience. That's not to say that they couldn't conduct a proper test given enough time and study (I feel fairly certain they could). You don't need to be an expert to know that the study is fatally flawed. You can read it once with a basic understanding of calorimetry and realize there is very little to learn from the test. You cannot say much about a study that has not conducted a proper calibration. TC and others really went above and beyond what was necessary--giving the benefit of the doubt and then reasons for why the results were invalid. You need to do more than appeal to authority to dismiss criticism. Tell us what is wrong with the analysis.

• So a self-proclaimed non-expert but who makes, through expertise he doesn't have, expert critical reviews (?) of a phenomena he doesn't understand nor acknowledges, is to be trusted?

Ha sorry I though it was a real post, but it's only "Jack Cole" (aka, random FUD machine)

• Why do you require people whom critizise the report should be known expert in infrared thermographic calorimetry. When you don't have the same requirements for the authors.

Was the Lugano test an experience in calorimetry?

Or was it an experience in the "Rossi effect", whose excess heat was witnessed by the various people present (who are all in the scam, and mind-controlled by Rossi ofc!)?

This calorimetry meme is the only straw skeptopaths and paid shills can cling to, because the measuring protocol is extremely granular and serves as a good vessel for all the FUD a wholesome fellow like TC can cram into

• Was the Lugano test an experience in calorimetry?

Or was it an experience in the "Rossi effect", whose excess heat was witnessed by the various people present (who are all in the scam, and mind-controlled by Rossi ofc!)?

This calorimetry meme is the only straw skeptopaths and paid shills can cling to, because the measuring protocol is extremely granular and serves as a good vessel for all the FUD a wholesome fellow like TC can cram into

I'm sorry but I can honestly don't understand what you mean. Maybe it's because englisch is not my native language.

STDM claimed that anyone whom criticizise the Lugano Report have to be a known expert in infrared thermographic calorimetry. I was only wondering why he didn't require the same from the authors of the report.

• Was the Lugano test a test in calorimetry?

Was remote viewed calorimetry the only way to assess excess heat?

Were the people who wrote the report present at Lugano, or not?

• I don't understand how anyone can be critical or positive of anything without qualifications. One couldn't even be critical of the critics, or the critics of critics, without the required qualifications.

Best just to stare blankly with mouth shut and fingers away from a keyboard on any subject that is not something a university or guild had conferred upon one a symbol or document of qualification.

Opinions, positive, negative or indifferent, are only for those qualified by an institution to discuss their specific niche area of proven expertise. Anyone expressing any sort of idea outside of their duly authorized specialty is clearly an idiot in that subject, and their thoughts and comments should therefore be suppressed to avoid embarrassment to the experts in that specialty.

• Was the Lugano test a test in calorimetry?

Dont understand the question.

Was remote viewed calorimetry the only way to assess excess heat?

Yes

Were the people who wrote the report present at Lugano, or not?

Yes. But I don't understand the purpose of the question. Has anyone said anything else? Or are you claiming that no one not present are allowed to criticize there findings. A very weird opinion of how science is conducted if this is your opinion.

• The question is :
    - was the Lugano test a test in calorimetry -in which case the Lugano scientists should have been calorimetry experts just like the beloved TC-
    - or was it a test in excess heat?

If it was a test in excess heat:
    - was remote viewed calorimetry the only way to assess excess heat because nobody was physically there
    - or did the Lugano scientists present on the crime scene have other methods to assess excess heat, that took place right before their eyes?

So many questions...

Thankfully TC is a real scientist and produced an expert analysis of the gadget which didn't work, nada, zilch, also the fuel sampled was pre-prepared by Andrea "10-year long scam involving various scientists" Rossi, sorry I'm running out of bingo cards!

• Keieueue wrote: Was remote viewed calorimetry the only way to assess excess heat?

No, definitely not.
    They could have easily used a thermocouple instead of IR imaging.

Also there is/was a question of the change of transparency and emissivity of the AlO3 at elevated temperatures.
    An easy work around would have been to put it in a metal pipe and fill the space between the reactor and device with
    sand or other material.

The real problem is they never did a control at the same temps as the experiment. That is why most people think they
    had no idea about calorimetry.

Also there was no control of the environment (air flow, humidity, ....) Anyone skilled in the art would have known to set boundary conditions and to run a control at the same temperature.

• One of the most perplexing aspects of the Lugano test, to me, is the fact that the reactor came with a self-sustain mode, the reactor was made by IH, and the Lugano scientists chose not to use it:

The Lugano scientists explained the situation as follows:
    "We also chose not to induce the ON/OFF power input mode used in the March 2013 test, despite the fact that we had been informed that the reactor was capable of operating under such conditions for as long a time as necessary. That power input mode, however, would have caused significant temperature increases during the brief intervals of time in which power was fed to the reactor. Moreover, the emissivity of alumina is temperature-dependent: this would have made all calculations troublesome and rendered analysis of the acquired data difficult."

The perplexing part, to me, is that Dewey admitted that IH built the Lugano reactor. Presumably, this would include the ON/OFF (aka self-sustain) power input mode. Dewey then later stated that IH had never tested the Lugano reactor prior to providing it to the Lugano scientists. Really? IH built a reactor with a self-sustain mode that they never tested prior to giving it to the Lugano scientists?

Now, I suppose it is possible that IH built only the dogbone part of the contraption and nothing else, but that has never been clearly stated by Dewey or IH, to my knowledge.

• Keieueue wrote:

I'm sorry but I can honestly don't understand what you mean. Maybe it's because englisch is not my native language.

English is my native language. I can understand what Keieueue "means." You have difficulty if you assume that these are coherent and sane questions. I have Keiueue blocked because almost all his posts are trolling. This one presents a supposed explanation of critique, i.e., spreading "FUD." This is part of the standard Planet Rossi conspiracy theory. (I do not claim that all Rossi supporters buy that theory. Some don't. But it is common with the trolls.

Keieueue would have meant to say "experiment" rather than "experience." The use of IR thermometry and then theoretical calculations of heat generation based on calculated temperatures was not an established technique, so this would have to be considered experimental. Yet they did not establish any independent measure of heat or of expected device IR emission based on input power, i.e., they did not run a control experiment with no fuel at the same input power range as used, which would be minimal. A control experiment using the calculated thermal power output as electrical input power would have clearly fried the device. But "same input power" should have been okay, and then with some care would have indicated possible XE.

This is all basic calorimetry and well-known to people like Jed Rothwell, who probably knows more about calorimetry than those "professors." It would not be a part of their training, and there is no evidence that any of these people were expert in IR thermometry. They did not check their work. Instead they presented page after page of fluff. Radiation measurements showing nothing. A Ragone plot (which is only an attempt to convince the naive.) A simple sentence would have sufficed.

Even after there is extensive and cogent critique of Lugano, those who want to cling to a belief in Rossi Reality point to this experiment. That's understandable, given many common assumptions, such as the idea that a physics professor must be knowledgeable and properly and scientifically cautious. In fact, those assumptions fail. Anyone familiar with the history of cold fusion would know this. Lugano has a very poor reputation among experts, but most experts do not write in public fora!

If anyone wants to become truly familiar with this field, establish a reputation for cogent comment, and then ask for an invitation to the CMNS list. Skeptics are not necessarily excluded, if they create cogent comment and discussion. Trolls generally are excluded. The list is real-name, like all real science.

The claim of "all in on the scam" and "mind-controlled by Rossi" is a straw man. Nobody claims that the scientists were "in on" a scam. Some small possibility exists for Levi, alone. I certainly would not claim this with any confidence, I have only claimed that he was not properly considered independent, as was implied by Rossi when he first started writing about the Lugano test on his blog.

There is a phenomenon that is worth looking at, a high density of errors by scientists in his presence. This is not terribly difficult to understand, given human psychology and how Rossi operates. Someone who is not going to allow the Rossi Way without questioning it will be excluded from the start, so it is a filtered population. His history of demonstrations, since 2009 or so, shows this. Why did Kullander and Essen not check for overflow water? Here is my understanding: there was a claim that a humidity meter could show steam dryness (it cannot!). Kullander and Essen had never considered this question, obviously. It sounded plausible, and they probably looked at the meter, which showed kg/m^3. They did not know what that meant and assumed it meant what it did not. Rossi's patter claimed that this established steam dryness, and they were so distracted by the amazing claim that they failed to check for overflow water. It would have required doing something Rossi probably did not want them to do. And they could sense that, and "nice people" will instinctively avoid causing offense.

The Lugano results were heavily contradictory to the direct evidence of the senses, i.e, the color temperature of the reactor. There is no sign that the Lugano professors even noticed this. Instead, they trusted their calculations. This was another face-palm error! It does not take credentials in science to understand this. It is direct evidence of the temperature of the device. It was nowhere near the 1400 C external temperature claimed and used in the calculations. Now, perhaps the photo was saw was misleading. Perhaps the reactor was actually white-hot, and they simply did not tell us. However, this critique has been around, as I recall, since 2014. Nobody who was there has claimed "white-hot." It would be obvious, probably painfully bright to look at.

STDM claimed that anyone whom criticizise the Lugano Report have to be a known expert in infrared thermographic calorimetry. I was only wondering why he didn't require the same from the authors of the report.

It is obvious why.

Rossi's attorney is now doing what Planet Rossi thought completely outrageous when the IH attorneys did the like of it, in his motions to Strike and to Dismiss, but Planet Rossi -- at least for the most part -- doesn't seem to care.

It depends on whose ox is being gored.

• Official Post

Really, EVERYTHING that is written here is totally unqualified nonsense.

This is not science!!! ... and also from a journalistic point of view, this is more than garbage!

We have a report (Lugano). This report is called into question by (paid) spin doctors and we have paid spammers and bought community members who characterized them selves for years being supporters of LENR and Ecat and are now 'premium' skeptic, that now want that all is proven wrong and all is a big fraud and they say we have to trust them, because they claim to have the complete inside view...

Folks, please wait, the truth will come out and it takes (thanks to the US Justice System), no longer than 2017 and then we will have our answers!

Greets
    Felix

• Ha, I get it now: scientists were physically fooled on site and did bad calorimetry that reinforced their newfound albeit unconscious bias

It's not like they witnessed something real and measured it, nonchalantly however, the flaws thankfully allowing random online filibusterers a knowledgeable fellow like TC to expose the manipulation!

• That's the main problem, I think that one of our Admins have 'changed sides', that is no problem at all, but I think he changed the side because he was paid by IH/Cherokee and that is corruption!

Are you willing to name names, or are you going to continue to level allegations that some of the participants here are paid to contribute to this forum without being specific? Have courage. If you're sincere, we can get a little closer to the truth of the matter with the help of the information that is available to you and upon which you're basing your conclusion.

• Official Post

the information that is available to you and upon which you're basing your conclusion.

I'm not the type of person who will someone put to the pillory. I try to stay neutral and most of all I give the opportunity to purify themselves. This is in this environment here very difficult, because the stakes are extremely high for those who hope for monetary benefit from their long lasting involvement.

For me this is a hobby, I do not need money and I'm no way corruptible!

Greets
    Felix

• I'm not the type of person who is someone put to the pillory. I try to stay neutral and most of all I give the opportunity to purify themselves. This is in this environment here very difficult, because the stakes are extremely high for those who hope for monetary benefit from their long lasting involvement.

For me this is a hobby, I do not need money and I'm no way corruptible!

I take you for your word that you're not corruptible. But you're casting aspersions on unnamed people in this forum with the serious allegation that they're being paid to contribute here. You are no doubt very careful in the conclusions you reach, so you will surely have seen concrete evidence to back up this allegation and are not just relying on conjecture. Please do share that evidence.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.