Low energy nuclear reactions driven by discrete breathers

• New arxiv.org paper on LENR -

"Low energy nuclear reactions driven by discrete breathers" - Vladimir Dubinko, 16 Jun 2014

ABSTRACT: A new mechanism of LENR in solids is proposed, which is based on the large amplitude anharmonic lattice vibrations, a.k.a. intrinsic localized modes or discrete breathers (DBs). In particular, so called gap DBs, which can arise in diatomic crystals such as metal hydrides, are argued to be the LENR catalyzers. The large mass difference between H or D and the metal atoms provides a gap in phonon spectrum, in which DBs can be excited in the H/D sub-lattice resulting in extreme dynamic closing of adjacent H/D atoms required for the tunneling through nuclear Coulomb barrier. DBs have been shown to arise either via thermal activation at elevated temperatures or via knocking atoms out of equilibrium positions under non-equilibrium gas loading conditions, employed under radiolysis or plasma deposition methods. The DB statistics in both cases is analyzed and simple analytical expressions for the cold fusion energy production rate are derived as the functions of temperature, ion (electric) current and material parameters. For the first time to our knowledge, the derived expressions describe quantitatively the observed exponential dependence on temperature, linear dependence on the ion current as well as the role of external triggering and small dimensions of nuclear active particles.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.3941

• Official Post

Very interesting.
    This kind of concept, mainstream without new physics is interesting.
    I cannot judge if it is exact, but the approache is the good one.
    Find effects in lattice that allow concentration and diffusion of energy.

See wikipedia for the Discrete Breather concept.

The author discuss of Edmund Storms vision, proposing that it follow some of it's approach... However there is still challenge to explain LENR, because the speed of deuteron don't match.

I hope they contacted Edmund Storms... maybe a mix with his theory around hydroton could be fruitful...

• There are many theories. I believe that the one proposed in this would only explain a subset of LENR results - not all. If LENR is real, then several different, but related, phenomena may be involved.

This paper acknowledges that it cannot account for missing energetic byproducts (e.g., gammas), but refers us to the following paper which does address this -
    "NUCLEAR PROCESSES IN DEUTERIUM/NATURAL HYDROGEN - METAL SYSTEMS"
    http://vant.kipt.kharkov.ua/AR…3_3/article_2013_3_76.pdf

It proposes a new dissipative mechanism - 'The excitation energy of the helium nucleus is transferred to the matrix through emission of conversion electrons...'

• Official Post

Yes it is just an idea, whose value is more in the approach than in the detail...
    Lyke Ed Storms theory based on hydroton, there are missing links..

Storms idea is based on the p-e-p fusion that I did not see in the paper (maybe I miss while fast reading).
    The Breather make me think as a more evolved idea compared to the modes of the hydroton...

Storms propose that the hydroton not only can concentrate energy, but also spread it... maybe the breather can do that too... of the conversion electrons...

I think it is still too early to propose THE theory, but we have to find a toolbox of ideas like hydroto, breathers, BEC (Kim), SPP (W/L), and a list of constraints, like what Ed Storms have established with his rules.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.