SS-ICCF20: Independent labs confirm Vladimir Vysotskii et al. 70% reduction of radioactive, Cs137 gamma-activity observed in some biological based plastic containers inside 2 weeks!

• Official Post

MFMP just highlighted this presentation made at SSICCF20
    https://www.facebook.com/Marti…ct/posts/1282576715106358

thes slides are there
    https://goo.gl/7gvkfd

• Watch out for all those exclamation marks! They can poke you in the eye.

Vysotskii's work has been crying out for confirmation for many years. The work appeared sound. No obvious artifacts. This is definitely a step in the direction of opening up biological transmutation.

Once we accept that LENR is possible, that biological system would develop a way to use it is not terribly surprising. But this has seemed so "far out" that I'm not aware of any attempts at confirmation, until now.

The confirmation is not entirely independent, but getting there. This is described by Vysotskii as his "team." He makes the point that he was not present in the room. However, he was close, and working closely with them.

The goals of fully independent replication is to document everything needed to see an effect.

I'm hoping that this will happen.

• Official Post

Like for many hard to believe and not yet massively replicated/validated results/theories (like Emdrive, MiHsC) I'm still not sure, but what is sure is that we should investigate.
    I have priorities in a research program, and for me biological LENR is in the second wave, but is it the good method to have priorities ?
    Biological experiments imply huge practical impact, but it is a very complex domain full of possible artifacts, so researching first in simpler environnement is a safer approach for me (eg PdD).

We also need competent and honest skeptics to help those teams to rule out all artifacts, instead of relying as usual on biased armchair critics who never check their theories (they could be good brainstorm partners if they were nor mostly incompetent unable to find real holes), and wishful enthusiast who prefer to see the good side.

• We also need competent and honest skeptics to help those teams to rule out all artifacts

This is a toxic meme that serves a devilish agenda

No inventor needs a cohort of bilious naysayers nagging at his findings until they break, because no inventor is dumbly lucky enough or masters magic enough to build a working technology upon wrongly interpreted artifacts.

Or can they? have you ever seen a working technology that was in fact built upon artifacts, and that stopped working once science friends like MY or TC courageously discovered that the foundations of the invention were flawed?

I mean, it's common sense: if it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. John Doe in his garage building a spacecraft capable of bending spacetime can whip up all the theories he wants to explain whatever artifacts he managed to create, but his invention will be useless until it works.
    Does he need angry skeptics writing 100 pages daily to shoot down his theories in order to progress? that's not how inventions and theoretical/technological breakthrough happen: they happen through work, sheer intuition and some luck.

Do they happen thanks to skeptics? I'd like to see once example of it, because I'm quite sure that's not how it works, as intuition is something skeptics sorely lack -and that makes them mad and very angry at people who have some, or more-

Now, why would you support them in their negative bias? once again, if it works, it works (and the theory can be built and refined upon the empirical observations), if it doesn't, inventors will work until it does -but sometimes it never does, because it's a deadend, or it's too soon-. It's like nature takes care of itself! amazing

Do you really think the progress of science needs a specialized corps of scientific commissars to crack down on whatever process of invention they deem unwholesome? that doesn't sound very scientific to me, but a lot like censorship?

• Official Post

what you describe is not what I describe.

an honest skeptic, an honest peer reviewer, is simply a friendly colleague who look in every corner, asking explanation for every of his questions.

Did you check that... ok... and that ... look good, but what about that. you'd better make a new experiment to rule out that...
    Is it possible it is simply that stupid artifact... check quickly !
    Too bad, but try again, maybe with that better method.

a good scientist have a little cricket of that kind in his mind

• Let's be honest for a minute here: the people you think of, are the kind of people who spend their days filibustering here, while pretending they're serving science

The honest skeptic asks questions about something that already delivers/works and that he doesn't understand. Because simply, he doesn't spend time debating how the earth isn't flat. You won't see him pre-emptively discussing stuff that hasn't some kind of effect: what would be the point?

The dishonest skeptic nags the inventor about something that is a work in progress, hoping that he disturbs it enough to prevent it from reaching fruition, as a working invention puts him/his friends out of a job, forces him to learn new stuff, or correct his model of how the world works

Why do you want scientific commissars cracking down on works in progress? if those WIPs are bound to deliver something, they will, otherwise, they won't. Things take care of themselves, and those scientific commissars should probably work at creating something, instead of being control freaks over something that's not even their work.

Moreover, inventors in breakthrough/paradigm shift technologies often work alone, because intuition is very seldom an ongoing communion between several people (however, once someone discovers something, it's easier for the next inventors to refine upon it)

It even works in art (and science is an art...):
    Do you think the painter David had some artistic commissars breathing down in neck? "Wow take a step back, it's much too precise, we can't have that. Are you sure about this choice of colors? how did you come to them? can you reproduce it at room temperature minus 5? really? great, now let's see you doing it at minus 6, does it work? okay great, but what happens at plus 7?"
    But once David's reputation was established, he had a team of apprentices, doing job in his style
    Do you think Stravinsky had musical commissars breathing down his neck? "Wow take a step back, your Rites of Spring are way too primitive and brutal, we can't have that. Can you create a piece in the same vein in November? okay, great, but what about if the air's humidity is not coherent with the season? let's see you creating a piece then"
    But once Stravinsky's was recognized as a genius composer, he had a team of apprentices as well...

Etc etc I hope you get the idea

Mankind's progress are done not through commissars checking and criticizing other people's work, but by people having an intuition, working upon it, and having some luck of being there at the right time.

a good scientist have a little cricket of that kind in his mind

He already does, it's his own conscience, intelligence, acuity, but he doesn't need toxic naysayers nosing in his job

• Like for many hard to believe and not yet massively replicated/validated results/theories (like Emdrive, MiHsC) I'm still not sure, but what is sure is that we should investigate.

The evidence Vysotskii has reported is much more clean than for Emdrive. However, for each investigator, there are priorities. This is really a job, first and foremost, for biologists, I'd say. This is where what I will call "facilitators" can come in. People who can make the connections, communicate, and, hopefully, inspire scientists with the possibilities. There is now a somewhat better basis, the "intra-team" confirmation of Vysotskii's group.

I have priorities in a research program, and for me biological LENR is in the second wave, but is it the good method to have priorities ?

It is necessary, otherwise everything is knee-jerk, impulsive. Priorities can change. Biological LENR would be phase 2. It would not be phase 1 because it is inadequately confirmed. It is also in what I might call the penumbra of LENR. It does not involve the core original discovery. It is in the "something nuclear" area.

Biological experiments imply huge practical impact, but it is a very complex domain full of possible artifacts, so researching first in simpler environnement is a safer approach for me (eg PdD).

Actually, the Vysotskii experiments appear far simpler than most PdD work.

We also need competent and honest skeptics to help those teams to rule out all artifacts, instead of relying as usual on biased armchair critics who never check their theories (they could be good brainstorm partners if they were nor mostly incompetent unable to find real holes), and wishful enthusiast who prefer to see the good side.

Yes. Pseudoskeptics can be useful because they can sometimes come up with plausible artifacts. Usually they don't get deeply enough into the work to be able to do what, they will instead present the obvious and stupid ones. But I've seen it happen. The goal in communicating with pseudoskeptics is to practice clarity of communication. Not to convince them.

The goal in communicating with skeptics is to engage them in becoming familiar with the evidence. With that familiarity they can make useful contributions. Some may go on to become actively engaged in the research.

LENR is a trillion-dollar-per-year possibility. It's worth the effort to investigate it, to "crush the tests."

• The results reported here are:

(A) 12% reduction in Cs-133 sample assay relative to (near constant) control over 192 hours, using same sample protocol. The "active bottles" had biocultures added.

(B) 100% increase in Ba-134 sample assay in active bottles. No information about control behaviour.

(C) 20% average reduction in Cs-137 gamma activity (measured via energy of gammas) in a set of bioreactors. In selected bioreactors this went up to 70%. Over 20 days.

When you analyse the details all three results are highly flawed. That is, the reporting contains very obvious loopholes, things not checked that could likely lead to a mundane explanation. In some cases there is the implication that these things would be available in the raw data, so the fact that they are not explicitly ruled out or noted is annoying (to me - personal reaction). I will endeavor to overcome any bias that this lack of respect for readers of the report (as it seems) engenders in me. It is of course possible that this is just a bad report, and that the work is reported elsewhere with more salient detail and in a way that settles the doubts raised here.

Both (A) and (B) (taken from the same run) suffer from the fact that the samples are located in specific parts of the bottle (top, middle,bottom). All it needs is for the bio-reaction - which clearly has a large physical effect - to reduce the amount of Cs, and increase the amount of Ba in these samples and we have no transmutation. Furthermore, the lack of control data for the (B) result is anomalous. There is no reason why it should not be generated - or - if there is - the lack of control makes this methodology less useful. Even with control the methodology is not good, because of the obvious spatial changes caused by the biochemical reaction.

The linking of (A) and (B) is motivated by a proposed reaction Cs-133 -> Ba-134. This would indeed be interesting, if the experimental evidence bore it out. However the Cs-137 reduction is 20mg/l. The Ba-134 increase is 0.15mg/l. The discrepancy here is so very large that no plausible linkage can be made. The write-up however does make this linkage, suggesting proton capture as the reason for the results.

Now there are details here about how the Ba-134 and Cs-133 samples are taken. Although from the same experiment they are not comparable and processed in very different ways before being tested for concentration. So even if there were some thought-provoking quqntitative linkage the lack of uniformity in what was tested introduces much uncertainty. If anyone here feels these results deserve more examination we could go into the details more. I have not done this as much as I could yet, on the basis that there are these obvious defects that contaminate the data making more detailed examination worthless. Perhaps, though, that makes me a pseudo-skeptic? I'd hope not.

(C) is a more interesting result. There is no sampling here, hence no sampling spatial errors. Instead Cs137 gamma activity is monitored. Unfortunately there is still a potential spatial error, acknowledged by the authors:

In order to reduce measurement errors of gamma activity, associated with a spatial redistribution of Cs137 isotope in the bottles, the measurements were performed at small and at large distances and averaged

It is this one sentence that has caused an emotional reaction in me that may alas make me biassed here. They admit that the "near field" measurement may have spatial error. They state that they also take a "far field" measurement (which would not suffer the error). Then they average the two.

This is not as stupid as it sounds. Unstated, but clear, they have two different error sources. The near field measurement suffers difficult to quantify spatial errors. The far-field measurement suffers easier to quantify error due to low signal and high noise (they mention noise issues). The motivation for averaging the two would therefore be to reduce the overall error by combining two independent sources of error.

What makes me so annoyed is that they provide no details of how this process is done. Is it arithmetic average - if so how normalised - or (a better strategy) is it geometric average? Nor what are the individual results are, so that the soundness of this method, and the likelihood for error, can be evaluated. It is treating readers as though they are idiots. And neglecting basic sanity checks.

<polite mode>
    If the authors could provide more detail of their precise methodology and intermediate results in this second experiment it might be possible to evaluate whether the results do in fact indicate some unusual transmutation - or at least an anomaly that could be explained by that - or whether the results show expected spatial and noise errors added together.
    </polite mode>

Regards, THH

• It's a conference presentation, THH. These are often missing a great deal, and there can easily be interpretive errors. For example, you take this statement:

In order to reduce measurement errors of gamma activity, associated with a spatial redistribution of Cs137 isotope in the bottles, the measurements were performed at small and at large distances and averaged

and read it as that they averaged together the small and large distance measurements (which makes no sense, I agree).

The source, again: https://drive.google.com/file/…SDhRcHVKUDhjSmtNSm5z/view

That may not have been what that sentence meant. This is not a formal paper, has not been subject to peer review and editing. This is what I will say about Vysotskii:

He is a physicist, with prior established reputation.

He has shown biological transmutation in many different experiments, this is only one approach. He's unlikely to be making some obvious error -- but, of course, this cannot be completely ruled out.

If this becomes a formal publication, that may be a time when it is more appropriate to go over it.

As I have written, if someone is exercised to support this research, becoming familiar with it would be the first step. As part of this, the publications would be studied. It is amazing what one can find through this!

Questions will arise, and then Vysotskii can be asked. He's communicative.

To me, it is obvious that this careful process is necessary before attempting to facilitate replication.

• Quote from Abd

That may not have been what that sentence meant. This is not a formal paper, has not been subject to peer review and editing.

I agree. As a normal conference paper it is not up to scratch. High quality conferences that incorporate peer review would not accept it. As a record (in conference proceedings) of research it is too poorly written to be useful. That does not mean the author would be unable to write it up properly: I indicated as much above. And this BTW is one example of why peer review is so important, it catches most of the times like this where a writeup is so poor that it is no use to the readers.

This is what I will say about Vysotskii:

He is a physicist, with prior established reputation.

He has shown biological transmutation in many different experiments, this is only one approach. He's unlikely to be making some obvious error -- but, of course, this cannot be completely ruled out.

I would not make such assumptions. I'm judging (and always will judge) work on its quality. The author, and his qualifications, is not the point.

If this becomes a formal publication, that may be a time when it is more appropriate to go over it.

Well, if whomever wrote this wanted to make it a formal publication, they would find my comments helpful. Perhaps as you say they fully realise my comments, but in that case I question the tone of the paper, which reads more into these results than they merit as described here. Someone aware of this issue would, even in an informal write-up, give some indication of what was left out or show some more understanding of the gaps.

As I have written, if someone is exercised to support this research, becoming familiar with it would be the first step. As part of this, the publications would be studied. It is amazing what one can find through this!

This was highlighted as important and ground-breaking work. If it is that it certainly deserves a much more complete write-up, probably by a different person since as a say someone conscious of the gaps here, even writing informally, would have indicated their existence and the fact that more needed to be communicated.

I'm completely open to the possibility that more significant write-ups are available elsewhere, not so highlighted here.

From the publications, the most recent (Current Science) reference:

The cultures were grown at 20C. Activity of all closed flasks was measured every 7 days by precise large-sized Ge detector. The results of investigation of change in relative activity Q(t)/Q(0) of the isotopes are presented in Figure 4. We have observed increased rates of decay (more precisely – accelerated rate of utilization) of Cs137 isotope in all experiments with MCT and in the presence of different additional salts during 100 days. In the control experiment (flask with active water but without MCT), the ‘usual’ law of nuclear decay applies, and the half life was about   30 years. The most rapidly increasing decay rate, which occurred with effective half life  *  310 days (involving an increase in rate, and decrease in lifetime by a factor of 35 times) was observed in the presence of Ca salt. In the presence of an abnormal (redundant) quantity of potassium in the nutrient medium, the process of cesium transmutation became weak and the half life of the decay was 10 years.

With no mention of distance between detector and reactors, nor details to substantiate this. The details could well be interesting. What worries me is that the experiments are first written up (as here) in conference talks. Now, you point out these are informal presentations and lack rigor. Then there are summary papers (as the one I've just quoted) that are much better written but lack details or detailed discussion of details.

So where is the substantive write-up I can get my teeth into? This is a matter of plain courtesy to other researchers. If work is significant it needs to be accessible in some form other than ringing up the author and having a conversation. Sure, I'd do that. But not unless I had some write-up that raised significant questions and got me interested. I have not put enough time into reading the above current science paper - just tracked to the results similar to the (C) result above that we were considering. I'm open to correction from someone who has read this stuff more deeply. And always open to the possibility that a slight acquaintance with this material means I am missing something crucial. But less open to correction merely because the writer is a famous scientist and I should believe what he says. If there is merit here it can surely be written up and made accessible. If all merit resides in informal communications that is dangerous - too prone to human bias and fallibility.

I put significant time into reading the conference paper since it had details I could process. I did this for fun, and am not complaining. But if scientists are to do this, they may become discouraged if what they find is insubstantial. This is one of the perils in writing up ground-breaking research in a way that looks superficially very flaky.

Questions will arise, and then Vysotskii can be asked. He's communicative.

To me, it is obvious that this careful process is necessary before attempting to facilitate replication.

Absolutely. But the initial stage is getting a casual reader interested enough to contemplate further study and replication, and that (for a careful reader) would require a much more sophisticated write-up than is here.

It takes a lot of time to do a good write-up, but you can quickly protect yourself by noting all the areas where you are skipping over details, or where there is some complex analysis you do not have time to cover. People may not believe your summary conclusions then, but they will realise that you are considering the matter fully and therefore be much less likely to dismiss the matter as worthy of no further work. This is not needed if you are preaching to the converted, and your readers already know or suspect that your work is significant. LENR writers perhaps are in that position, but in as far as they stay there they should not complain about mainstream scientists dismissing their work.

Maybe what LENR needs is more respect towards other people when writing stuff up?

Regards, THH

• Official Post

I cannot judge else by watching critics, but even if the experiments let room for doubt, room for doubt is room for further research.
    There is room for someone interested to join the team and review all, replicate, understand...

What shock me in todays science is the fear to be blacklisted, to fall in the reputation trap.
    What is funny is that some say it is "to avoid wasting time and money", but meanwhile they waste billions in hopeless research, in public relation hidden as science, in social events, in propaganda of various kind, in useless questions without practical impact nor scientific interest...

the fact is simply that today you can work on anything useless, wasteful, costly, improbable, even objectively criminal, or futile, hiding abuse and corruption, provided it is fashion, and that any disruptive possibility is to be ignored if it can be flagged as bad science or bad morality.
    It match well a religious system.

• It takes a lot of time to do a good write-up, but you can quickly protect yourself by noting all the areas where you are skipping over details, or where there is some complex analysis you do not have time to cover. People may not believe your summary conclusions then, but they will realise that you are considering the matter fully and therefore be much less likely to dismiss the matter as worthy of no further work.

Here we fully agree! We can just ask (the Japanese?) for a replication outside Russia/Ukrainia.

The reputation trap will soon reverse: The ones who don't know about LENR will be questionned soon...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.