Some Points Regarding a Recent Presentation at ICCF20 on the ‘Lugano Report’ (Rainer Rander)

• The IR bolometer does (more or less) count photons, and hence measures radiant power.

Sigh. I did cover the indirect measure, but .... it simply does not count photons. There is no photon counter in it. Rather, it measures absorbed energy, i.e., heat, through a temperature rise in the bolometer material, creating a resistance change, which has been calibrated. It is resistance which is actually measured, but this resistance change is a direct effect of temperature rise from absorbed power. One could, down the road, estimate the number of photons from the wavelength and total energy in the band, but .... that is not "counting" at all, but a theoretical calculation.

• Lets see if this makes any sense and saves a thousand words:

Great. Excellent. Now for something crucial, for others and for future generations. Sources?

If we assume that the "alumina" in this chart matches the spectral emissivity of the Lugano alumina -- which may be an assumption, not a fact -- then this chart shows what could have been used for better estimates in the Lugano Report. Ideally, though, there would be calibration. The camera could have been calibrated with a hole drilled in it that would function as a black body at the alumina temperature. Or the entire power/temperature relationship could have been calibrated using the full range of input power. Neither was done, to the high-temperature measurements of both temperature and power were flying, not grounded in reality. The plot given shows exactly how that error -- using total emissivity -- would create major error.

This is not speculation. It is actually what they did, it is reasonably clear in the Report.

• (1 – ε) · Tamb4 is the correction of the sensor source current for the ambient, which is very high if ε is low and T measured is close to t ambient. But in the Ecat case with ε high and T high this correction is negligible.

I'm not following this. However, I think that is not the final correction, but was stated using total emissivity, not band emissivity.

@Abd: But you should follow this, because this terms weight can be massively higher than the collected photon count. My argument is simple: As the Lugano team used the camera more or less in out of range condition, somebody should ask Optris what (n's) they have stored in their EPROM.

Just remember neither TC was, nor Paradigmonia is able to explain the large excess heat of the hot E-cat rods...They both are wishful researchers trying everything to prove than NiH LENR doesn't work..and as long as they can't explain the rod issue, their arguments stay just just there for glaring the limited readers.

The heart of a thermal image camera is an array of e.g GaF photodiodes, which in fact count (accumulated) photons of only the band we are interested in. (The rest of the photons will be reflected or get thermalized in the filter - who's T is measured to! At the end of a measurement cycle the accumlated charge is measured and delivers a band-intensity value for one single array point. (not spot!)

The problem with close to ambient temperatures is that photons are available from everywhere, even from the internal materials. The "n" of the camera is a kind of mathematical trick to make the formula simpler and to allow the customer to use a single emissivity value. "n" is not directly dependent on the spectrum, emissivity etc.. It's a pre calculated value out of the factory calibration of the camera. In the worst case it could even be that "n" at extreme points differs (+-) largly from the average.

Thus for a reproduction one would need exactly the same camera, objectiv, measurement distances, an equaly shaped E-cat etc...

• @Abd: But you should follow this, because this terms weight can be massively higher than the collected photon count. My argument is simple: As the Lugano team used the camera more or less in out of range condition, somebody should ask Optris what (n's) they have stored in their EPROM.

There is no collected photon count. See below. There is no necessity to ask Optris. They don't have the emissivity data in their EEPROM. Rather, what is in the EEPROM handles calculations based on the entered band emissivity. And "somebody" is undefined. If you want to ask them, certainly you may. But what question will you ask?

The camera was not used in "out of range condition," as far as I know. It was used incorrectly. This is what the Lugano report has on the cameras:

The cameras used were two Optris PI 160 Thermal Imagers, one provided with a 30° × 23° lens and 160 × 120 pixel UFPA sensors, capable of reading temperatures up to 900°C, the other with a 48° ×37° lens, capable of measuring temperatures up to 1500°C. The spectral range for both cameras is from 7.5 to 13 μm.

Knowing the band is not quite enough, what is actually needed is the behavior of the material across the range of temperatures, as it interacts with band sensitivity (which may not be flat across the band). That's done with calibration, not only with theoretical information. Materials can vary greatly with how, for example, the surface is processed. For accurate measurements, there is no substitute for calibration.

Back to Wyttenbach:

Just remember neither TC was, nor Paradigmonia is able to explain the large excess heat of the hot E-cat rods...They both are wishful researchers trying everything to prove than NiH LENR doesn't work..and as long as they can't explain the rod issue, their arguments stay just just there for glaring the limited readers.

I have no idea what they are "able" to do, other than what they have already done. The discussion here starts with measuring temperature, and it is confused when this is combined with a discussion of "excess heat," which is a different and also complex issue. One at a time. What temperature was the thing?

(And more to the ultimate point, did the Lugano researchers know what they were doing? We have an obvious answer here.)

Bringing in other issues, before this basic one is resolved, will indeed confuse readers, and imputing such an attached motive to them is rude, when they are trying rather strongly to explain some basic facts to you. That idea about them will contribute to your own confusion, and will also damage your ability to communicate any real points you have. One step at a time.

The heart of a thermal image camera is an array of e.g GaF photodiodes, which in fact count (accumulated) photons of only the band we are interested in.

You made that up.
    The cameras: http://www.optris.com/thermal-imager-pi160 . The detector is "FPA, uncooled (25 μm x 25 μm)"

From the Basics document this is described:

The core of almost all globally used thermographic systems is a focal plane array (FPA), an integrated image sensor with sizes of 20,000 to 1 million pixels. Each individual pixel is a
    microbolometer with the dimensions 17 x 17 µm^2 to 35 x 35 µm^2

This is very much not an array of photon-counting photodiodes. Here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbolometer.

Wyttenbach, again, you are making assumptions without checking them. Time and again!

• There is no excess heat of the Rods. The rods radiate a pittance.
    The Active Run Rods might in fact produce only 2/3 of what was reported, since there is no indication that they were adjusted for the 2/3 outside area (because they are bundled), like the dummy rods were.

• Quote from Adb

Sigh. I did cover the indirect measure, but .... it simply does not count photons. There is no photon counter in it. Rather, it measures absorbed energy, i.e., heat, through a temperature rise in the bolometer material, creating a resistance change, which has been calibrated. It is resistance which is actually measured, but this resistance change is a direct effect of temperature rise from absorbed power. One could, down the road, estimate the number of photons from the wavelength and total energy in the band, but .... that is not "counting" at all, but a theoretical calculation.

Abd, I stand corrected. I had not realised the bolometer array which actually measuring IR power as heat: so you are right and I wrong. The name should have clued me. Which is neither here nor there in the argument with Wyttenbach.

I'm most dissappointed in him: he is not arguing, just flailing about saying anything that appears to support his view, and not accepting where he is indubitably wrong. A poor show.

Lugano rods

These are a distraction, because the data on them is much less certain than on the reactor body, with more assumptions needed to get anywhere. I'm unwilling to spend a lot of time on them because the heat contribution from them is small, so whatever they do it does not much affect overall result. The reactor body 1400C and 1250C calculation is pretty good - and the fact that best effort use of the IR camera data beautifully evens out the claimed "acceleration". I won't (unlike Wyttenbach) ignore things that don't fit in. When it was last considered there was a slight mystery as to how the rod data fits in, but that is because it is difficult to know what is the change in rod temperature along the rod, and how this changes with differing reactor temperature. It is also difficult to know how much electrical heating there is in the rods - though maybe this could be made certain? Probably not a real mystery - but I can't claim to have sorted them out fully - maybe this is impossible from lack of data - so i'm not prepared to be confident.

So on balance it is not clear enough for me. I won't calculate things when there are too many assumptions for me to have any confidence in the calculation. If W or anyone else thinks they have got a secure way to do this I'll look at it.

There is little motivation - unless you are desperately seeking >1 COP from a Rossi reactor and grasping at any lingering uncertainty that might exist.

• Official Post

It seems somewhat ironic that an argument in some cases presented as a simple refutation of mensuration and anomalous heat (all bad, there was none) in the Lugano paper should have taken so many months and so many thousands of words and still fail to produce any clear consensus among all parties as to 'how much' and 'what should have been done.'

Not that any consideration of the complexities, which have become more and more apparent as the pixels drift by, ever stopped anyone from criticizing the Profs for 'doing what they did in Lugano'. Worth adding that Lugano was organised and performed at relatively short notice when compared with the duration of the arguments here, and the Profs were labouring (it is said) under some restrictions as to their freedom.

By the time this is settled (if ever) there should be further evidence available from other quarters as to the underlying question of the validity of Rossi's invention, be it good or bad. Meanwhile I wonder if the Angels are getting tired of being thrown on and off the head of this particular pin while multiple ringmasters decide who is allowed to stand where.

In the analogue era I performed probably hundreds of calorimetry experiments, from testing fuel samples for the National Coal Board (Oxygen Bomb Calorimetry - such fun) and even such fiddly stuff as working out the heat evolved by different types of spindle-bearings in Ultra-centrifuges spinning at over 100krpm. It seemed so simple then. Happy days.

It seems somewhat ironic that an argument in some cases presented as a simple refutation of mensuration and anomalous heat (all bad, there was none) in the Lugano paper should have taken so many months and so many thousands of words and still fail to produce any clear consensus among all parties as to 'how much' and 'what should have been done.'

Not that any consideration of the complexities, which have become more and more apparent as the pixels drift by, ever stopped anyone from criticizing the Profs for 'doing what they did in Lugano'. Worth adding that Lugano was organised and performed at relatively short notice when compared with the duration of the arguments here, and the Profs were labouring (it is said) under some restrictions as to their freedom.

By the time this is settled (if ever) there should be further evidence available from other quarters as to the underlying question of the validity of Rossi's invention, be it good or bad. Meanwhile I wonder if the Angels are getting tired of being thrown on and off the head of this particular pin while multiple ringmasters decide who is allowed to stand where.

Alan, with respect, that is sloppy. Since before TC's paper the Lugano mistake was clearly identified, and TC put it all together nicely. His analysis is supported by MFMP experiment and in any case is irrefutable - God knows many people have tried. The same correct analysis knocks on the head both the extraordinary COP AND the "COP acceleration". That would tell any unbiassed observer that it has internal coherence.

So why is there this continual "complexity"? It is, as you say, interesting. The reasons are no doubt various, but all stem from a need to view Rossi's devices as actually working. Look at Wyttenbach's contibution here. He makes any number of mistakes and as they are corrected moves on to new ones, until in the end all that is left is "maybe the rods are not consistent". This is complexity added for the sake of not giving up an unsupportable viewpoint.

While less obvious, your meta-comment here would appear to have the same motivation.

• Official Post

While less obvious, your meta-comment here would appear to have the same motivation.

Don't go all Lomax on me and tell me what I'm thinking when you cannot possibly do more than guess. That is how Abd attempts to make suppositions morph into 'facts' and the reason he is so prolix.

In my comment I say Rossi 'good or bad' and mean it - I honestly have abandoned any position on this matter until we get better proof of something -whatever it is. My motivation in posting is to point out that if a bunch of bright guys cannot agree on something after a year or more of discussion it is obviously very complicated, and may not even be amenable to some kind of collective settlement with the modest data-set available.

It would be true to say however that I DO believe Ni/H has a lot going for it -at least as much as Pd/D, and it is the focus of my own experiments - but Rossi has been parked in the 'neutral' corner of my head for a long time, as I have said in this space quite a few times already. Don't make the 'sloppy' mistake of equating an interest in the possibilities of Ni/H with being solely pro-Rossi. That would be wrong.

I do have one strongly held position though, which is that civilized discourse is is the function of this forum. And that includes of necessity the ability to make meta-comments on a long-continued debate without being put into one camp or another. Like Brexit, meta means meta.

• Lets see if this makes any sense and saves a thousand words:

In fact the picture is nice but NOT the interpretation you give that is totally wrong.
    In the picture we ca see ( we know that already ) that Alumina is very well seen by the camera. That is an important fact because if you do not detect signal or detect a very small signal a good measurement could be impossible because of errors.
    From our previous reasoning based only on Quantum Mechanics we know that for a given input power at steady conditions a non ideal emitter should be much hotter then a Black Body.
    For any material so we have to inform the camera about the total emissivity so that the camera software can compute the temperature correctly. This is valid also for materials that have a good emissivity in the camera window. If we don't do that then the camera would treat the data from the non ideal emitter in the same way as a Black Body computing a much lower temperature.
    It doesn't important that "the body emits less in a part of the spectrum the camera don't see" because this kind of considerations ( normalization to camera ( and optics) sensitivity ) are treated by the factory calibration process. A camera wouldn't work without the specific calibration files.
    What we do using total emissivity is to inform the camera software of how much power the body emits compared to a Black Body.

• Just like Grafiker, I am another curious onlooker, interested in the understanding of thermography.
    In the Optris manual "Basic principles of non-contact temperature measurement" one finds the formula utilized by IR cameras to deduce the temperature of an object on the basis of the radiation received by the sensors. It would seem that camera software is capable of adjusting readings in order to account for the wavelength range which the camera is capable of detecting. This correction takes place by modifying exponent "n" in the " Tobj" formula.Page 8 in the manual states:"As infrared thermometers do not cover the wavelength range as a whole, the exponent n depends on the wavelength λ. At wavelengths ranging from 1 to 14 μm n is between 17 and 2 (at long wavelengths between 2 and 3 and at short wavelengths between 15 and 17)."So we do not measure all the time at the max wavelength with the IR camera, but it is not necessary if the radiation is enough to get an accurate temperature reading. The radiation maximum (Wien’s Law) could be outside the camera’s sensitivity range but maybe the camera is still receiving a lot of radiation within this range. The exponent "n" in the formula is probably a function of wavelengths and the actual adjustment of the exponent is programmed into the camera EEPROM. So it seems to me that epsilon could be the total emissivity (the manual does not clarify which kind of emissivity we have to insert in the formula....)

The camera needs to know, to image the tested device, the band emissivity. As the device surface temperature varies, different settings might be needed for different locations. This could get complex. I don't know if the device allows regional settings, it's a complication.

The camera could only use total emissivity for a gray body. In the detection band, alumina appears to be a black body. However, the full power spectrum, it emits only about half of the energy that a black body would radiate. However, the camera does not see full power, only band power. RB0 either totally misunderstands how the camera works, or is stirring the pot to increase confusion. I dislike "FUD" as an explanation of comments, but ... it can happen when someone has an ulterior motive -- or just likes to stir the pot, we have one user who has acknowledged that motive.

• Welcome.

[quote]In the Optris manual "Basic principles of non-contact temperature measurement" one finds the formula utilized by IR cameras to deduce the temperature of an object on the basis of the radiation received by the sensors. It would seem that camera software is capable of adjusting readings in order to account for the wavelength range which the camera is capable of detecting.

Yes. It does this for a black body. To use the camera for a gray body, total emissivity and band emissivity are identical. For a non-gray body, it is far more complicated.

This is obvious from basic principles, whether or not well-expressed on that page: the camera is not affected by radiance out-of-band, the detectors are thermistors with controlled IR absorption, within a narrow band.

To infer object temperature from thermistor temperature, the camera must have band emissivity information for the observed material. What is programmed into the EEPROM is black body behavior, only. Then, from the band emissivity information, which must be supplied by the user, since it varies with the material, the camera will increase the temperature reading to the extent that the band emissivity is less than 1.0.

This correction takes place by modifying exponent "n" in the " Tobj" formula.Page 8 in the manual states:"As infrared thermometers do not cover the wavelength range as a whole, the exponent n depends on the wavelength λ. At wavelengths ranging from 1 to 14 μm n is between 17 and 2 (at long wavelengths between 2 and 3 and at short wavelengths between 15 and 17)."So we do not measure all the time at the max wavelength with the IR camera, but it is not necessary if the radiation is enough to get an accurate temperature reading. The radiation maximum (Wien’s Law) could be outside the camera’s sensitivity range but maybe the camera is still receiving a lot of radiation within this range. The exponent "n" in the formula is probably a function of wavelengths and the actual adjustment of the exponent is programmed into the camera EEPROM. So it seems to me that epsilon could be the total emissivity (the manual does not clarify which kind of emissivity we have to insert in the formula....

Yes. The adjustment is programmed. However, the camera cannot know the relationship between band emissivity and total emissivity. The user does not "use the formula." I have not followed the derivation, and the idea that his is important is based on ignoring how the camera is actually used and then trying to derive some sort of relationship as to how the camera reading will vary with emissivity. The naive approach was to ignore the complicated formula and use the fourth power relationship, which would only work with total emissivity.

What the camera has programmed is black body behavior, then it adjusts for different band emissivity, based on the value given by the user. It cannot calculate that, it has no information on which to calculate it.

"Band emissivity," as derived from calibrations -- i.e., finding, experimentally, what gives the correct temperature as determined by other means -- takes into account the intersection of the camera band sensitivity (which will vary across the band) with the actual emissivity spectrum of the object material.

"Other means" could include black body calibration, i.e., drilling a hole as described such that the hole functions as a black body in the band involved, setting emissivity for 1.00, and then determining the temperature on the black body assumption. Then this can be assumed to be the temperature of the material adjacent to the hole, and the emissivity determined as that emissivity that gives the same temperature for that adjacent spot. The camera will then correctly show all regions of the material with the same temperature. It would not necessarily read correctly for regions at a different temperature. To create a global map of the device temperature could require more calibrations. More work, but not difficult. (Instead of many drilled holes, rather, take the device up through the temperature range and measure emissivity of the spot; these values could then be used to adjust readings for other regions.)

A more sophisticated camera would allow an input file with the full band emissivity data across the temperature range. I don't think the camera used allows that. The Lugano team missed the whole issue.

We have not yet looked with high care at how the total emitted power is then determined. There would have been, again, a simple procedure that would have bypassed the entire problem, making all those complex calculations unnecessary. Calibration of camera readings vs. input power, across the full input power range.

• His analysis is supported by MFMP experiment and in any case is irrefutable

@THH/C: I never heard more arrogant crap!

Your argumentation is that of a dictator like Putin. One opinion - one experiment = truth!

That's definitely not the way physics works. They only reason I write in this thread, is to tell people how obvious your FUD is. At least you (TC) remembered that you failed to explain, that your target "COP 1" conforms not with the much higher heat dissipation of the Lugano Rods...

@ ABD: At least the following you should understand. The primary collector of the photons is a photodiode. The more photons it collects, the higher the current (charge flow) it produces. The charge is accumulated like in older CCD photosensors, and then measured. Thus, as Optris states, the sensor current "U" (p.9) directly conforms with the Plank law. All the other stuff is Optris internal, which I don't know, but what somebody like TC, who makes the primary claims, should have known in advance...

• @ ABD: At least the following you should understand. The primary collector of the photons is a photodiode. The more photons it collects, the higher the current (charge flow) it produces. The charge is accumulated like in older CCD photosensors, and then measured. Thus, as Optris states, the sensor current "U" (p.9) directly conforms with the Plank law. All the other stuff is Optris internal, which I don't know, but what somebody like TC, who makes the primary claims, should have known in advance...

No. You have not read what I cited, and it's clear. There are no "photodiodes" in the Optris cameras. None. Were there, you'd be correct. The sources are explicit. The Oprtis camera used is based on an array of microbolometers, described well in the Wikipedia article I cited. There is no photon detection, as such. The use of microbolometers is explicit in the Optris sources, also cited.

You are making a claim about "Optris internal" that is blatantly false. The camera does not use a CCD sensor. There is no accumulation of charge. You made up all of this, this has been explicitly explained to you, giving sources, and yet you continue with your insistence. And, at the same time, you accuse others of arrogance. It has all become totally obvious, to anyone who reflects, studies the matter, and consults sources.

What is being shown is that you make up arguments based on some driving force. The most common such on the internet is "being right." I.e., if I wrote something, it must have been right, so the only issue is what arguments I can discover or invent to prove it. And if I'm seriously attached, I could do this until the cows come home. Then there is another possibility, raised commonly on Planet Rossi: "Paid FUD." Are you paid? That would ordinarily be a rude question. You are not the likeliest candidate!

(I won't do this, because I actually love being wrong, it gives me room to grow.)

There are two major players we are mostly concerned with, Industrial Heat and Andrea Rossi. One of these has benefited and may continue to benefit from "public opinion." So which one might have a financial motive to create FUD? IH has never depended on public opinion, for their own support, and I don't see them going that way except in one area, when they begin to promote governmental involvement. Hence APCO as a consultant, that is their expertise. Attacking Rossi would not be a major part of that eventual program, Rossi has largely made himself irrelevant by filing Rossi v. Darden. But Rossi needs additional investment, needs the publicity and buzz....

Or at least that is as plausible or more plausible than the reverse. (Planet Rossi made many comments as to how the "FUD" was designed to influence the lawsuit, which is nearly impossible. Public opinion will make no difference, and the Judge is not going to read any of this stuff, nor will the jury, unless something specific is presented at trial, such as Rossi's blog comments. What we may write and think will be utterly irrelevant.

• Wyttenbach,
    The Optris microbolometers are RTDs, not photodiodes.

How may people have to tell him before he decides to actually look at the sources? I gave explicit sources. He ignored them and kept repeating his error. What does it take?

RTD = Resistance Temperature Detector. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer

I cited the camera manual for the type of sensor used, and found the definition of that in the Optris literature. It is an array of microbolometers, essentially tiny resistors with well-controlled IR emissivity and set up for precise resistance measurements. The incident IR, in-band, heats the resistor, and the resistance change is measured. There are no photodiodes or CCDs ("Charge Coupled Devices").

Wyttenbach was likely confused by the common use of CCDs in digital cameras. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device

Look, from the CCD article:

The normal functioning of a CCD, astronomical or otherwise, can be divided into two phases: exposure and readout. During the first phase, the CCD passively collects incoming photons, storing electrons in its cells. After the exposure time is passed, the cells are read out one line at a time.

@ ABD: At least the following you should understand. The primary collector of the photons is a photodiode. The more photons it collects, the higher the current (charge flow) it produces. The charge is accumulated like in older CCD photosensors, and then measured. Thus, as Optris states, the sensor current "U" (p.9) directly conforms with the Plank law.

You are getting upset. There are I believe several mistakes here.

Quote from Wikipedia

A bolometer consists of an absorptive element, such as a thin layer of metal, connected to a thermal reservoir (a body of constant temperature) through a thermal link. The result is that any radiation impinging on the absorptive element raises its temperature above that of the reservoir – the greater the absorbed power, the higher the temperature. The intrinsic thermal time constant, which sets the speed of the detector, is equal to the ratio of the heat capacity of the absorptive element to the thermal conductance between the absorptive element and the reservoir.[2] The temperature change can be measured directly with an attached resistive thermometer, or the resistance of the absorptive element itself can be used as a thermometer. Metal bolometers usually work without cooling. They are produced from thin foils or metal films. Today, most bolometers use semiconductor or superconductor absorptive elements rather than metals. These devices can be operated at cryogenic temperatures, enabling significantly greater sensitivity.

See also info on themographic cameras. They do, as Abd says, rely on heating the sensor elements. They therefore respond to total thermal power, not quite the same as number of photons, since 8u photons will be weighted more than 13u photons.

I got this wrong too: the difference is that I paid attention to Abd's idea and checked it out. I'm not certain that the Optris sensor is a bolometer, rather than some other sensor, but everything I've read so far indicates that it is, including Bob H's data. If you know otherwise you could provide evidence rather than asserting things? (EDIT: Abd has done more work than you or me: I take what he says as validation - "I cited the camera manual for the type of sensor used, and found the definition of that in the Optris literature. It is an array of microbolometers, essentially tiny resistors with well-controlled IR emissivity and set up for precise resistance measurements.")

That's definitely not the way physics works. They only reason I write in this thread, is to tell people how obvious your FUD is. At least you remembered that you failed to explain, that your target "COP 1" conforms not with the much higher heat dissipation of the Lugano Rods...

You are not doing this very well at the moment, since your telling has so many obvious scientific errors.

I'll happily argue the Lugano rod matter on a separate thread. All will agree that the power dissipated by the rods is very small compared with the body (they are much smaller). Also, they are much cooler, unless heated by electricity (because the Nichrome heating wire is in the rods as well as the body).

If heated by electricity your argument falls.

Otherwise whatever your argument is, you are not altering COP. However indirect is the temperature assessment from the reactor body, the temperature assessment from the rods is MUCH MORE indirect, with much less clarity.

I'm not wanting to curtail discussion. My problem with you about the sonofusion stuff is that you make very strong claims and then don't stick around to defend them against challenge, but do reiterate your view of something contentious as god's only truth, as though anyone who disagrees with you must be malicious (the FUD comment). Same here with the rod speculation. Paradigmnoia may already have worked out the rod issue (he has looked at the matter more than me) in which case he will no doubt contribute too.

• Re - "circle jerk".

For me, and a few others here the technical stuff is fun. Like doing a crossword, but more interesting and with some very vague relevance to the real world. No-one asks you to read this, and you are entirely at liberty to consider all people nerdy enough to enjoy these details as idiots with the wrong priorities.

However your use of this phrase would seem to be insulating and (given the virtual nature of this thread) innaccurate. From Urban Dictionary:

3) - given the strong disagreements - and 4) clearly don't apply, which leaves...

• What we do using total emissivity is to inform the camera software of how much power the body emits compared to a Black Body.

But only in the spectral sensitivity band of the camera, because that is all the camera can see. In this case, in the wavelengths from 7.5 to 13 μm.
    But it could be any band that the camera can be made sensitive to.
    If the camera were sensitive to the entire IR band, then the total emissivity would be correct. Otherwise the camera requires a specific band emisisvity in order to calculate the temperature of an object in its view.

What we have here is spectral brightness and antenna (sensor) brightness. All radiation falling outside of the sensor brightness range is invisible to the sensor.

Due to Kirchhoff's law of thermal radiation, we know that sensor brightness = sensor absorptivity.

The Optris sensors (microbolometers) are tuned by filters, material design, signal processing, and calibration to emulate (as close as possible) a perfect emissivity of 1.0 and therefore a near-perfect absorptivity of 1.0 in the design detection band. Again, this is the 7.5 to 13 μm IR band.

The total emissivity is only important to calculations requiring the total IR spectra. Like when calculating radiant power over the entire IR band.
    The Optris camera is not a total radiometer. The Optris camera is a spectral radiometer.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.