JOB: Assistant Professor Experimental Low Energy Nuclear Physics - University of Tennessee Knoxville. Is it LENR?

• Official Post

http://jobs.sciencecareers.org/job/427257/assistant-professor-experimental-low-energy-nuclear-physics/?TrackID=9#sc=rss&me=feed&cm=general

Maybe linked to our LENR/Cold Fusion domain, but maybe also to the mainstream mild-energy LENR physics.

or maybe is it hypocritical ambiguous ...

Ion beam make me pessimistic.

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• I doubt they're seeking to fill a tenured professorship with someone focusing on LENR. This looks like a pretty vanilla job description, despite the use of the phrase "low energy," which I interpret to simply mean the focus is on normal fusion (and fission) pathways in the low energy regime.

• I doubt they're seeking to fill a tenured professorship with someone focusing on LENR. This looks like a pretty vanilla job description, despite the use of the phrase "low energy," which I interpret to simply mean the focus is on normal fusion (and fission) pathways in the low energy regime.

This was probably found by a search for "low energy nuclear reaction," which phrase occurs in the listing. However, there are plenty of tipoffs that this is not what we call "LENR." The repeated phrase in the job offer is "low energy nuclear physics." Googling that comes up with:
    https://www.phy.anl.gov/lep/

We are interested in generalizing our understanding of nuclei to encompass all bound systems, and understanding reactions between nuclei from very low energies (typically encountered in burning stars) to the very highest energies (encountered soon after the "Big Bang").

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/…ourse_overview_slides.pdf

That's an actual course in LENP. There is no mention of what we call LENR or CMNS (i.e., reactions in condensed matter, which is at temperatures far lower than "burning stars") LENP may be, in some ways, applicable to LENR, especially as regards halo states. But the field hasn't developed yet such that this application is apparent.

There is also a usage of "cold fusion" to refer to the formation of ultraheavy elements by fusion of lighter elements at collision energies far under the normal fusion energy. I.e., by tunneling, producing a minimally-excited product nucleus which then lasts long enough to be detected. In the Bad Old Days when I was active on Wikipedia, I had added a disambiguation for "cold fusion" to a page on this application, and it was removed by an anonymous user as "not cold fusion." It took a long time (20 months) for that to come back. Ah, Wikipedia, the Dictatorship of the Terminally Head-Wedged. Great resource, I use it all the time. And know that it's friggin' unreliable.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.