Dirt Cheap Muon Detector Puts Particle Physics Within the Reach of LENR Experimenters.

• Note that this device does not detect ONLY muons - it detects charged particles and gamma. So, if you used this device as a LENR detector, don't expect to be able to conclude that muons were present if you get an indication. It detects the amount of cosmogenic muons present because for most locations the predominant radiation present is a flux of very high energy cosmogenic muons. If you also had gamma present nearby, the device would not discriminate. There are methods (2 paddle) to detect charged particles preferentially, but this is not implemented in the device described.

• Note that this device does not detect ONLY muons - it detects charged particles and gamma. So, if you used this device as a LENR detector, don't expect to be able to conclude that muons were present if you get an indication. It detects the amount of cosmogenic muons present because for most locations the predominant radiation present is a flux of very high energy cosmogenic muons. If you also had gamma present nearby, the device would not discriminate. There are methods (2 paddle) to detect charged particles preferentially, but this is not implemented in the device described.

The application of exclusive "OR" logic as follows:

Is it possible to set up detection equipment to rule out ambiguous signals that are produced by a LENR reactor. For example, if a gamma detector as well as other types of detectors does not detect any gamma radiation or other types of radiation and at the same time the muon detector detects many signals above background when the reactor was active, can it be concluded that muons produced the above background signals?

• It is possible to detect high energy charged particles by virtue of the fact that they will frequently excite photons in one scintillator and continue on to excite photons in a second scintillator placed in its path. By looking for coincidence of the first signal delayed by a propagation time to the second signal, it is possible to detect charged particles. Gamma photons would dump their photon emission in one or the other scintillator and can be rejected for lack of correlated output from the other scintillator. However, this technique, commonly used for charged particles, does not detect which charge or the mass of the particle. You can sort of determine proton vs muon mass by looking at the time delay between the two scintillators and making some presumptions about the particle energy.

• It is possible to detect high energy charged particles by virtue of the fact that they will frequently excite photons in one scintillator and continue on to excite photons in a second scintillator placed in its path. By looking for coincidence of the first signal delayed by a propagation time to the second signal, it is possible to detect charged particles. Gamma photons would dump their photon emission in one or the other scintillator and can be rejected for lack of correlated output from the other scintillator. However, this technique, commonly used for charged particles, does not detect which charge or the mass of the particle. You can sort of determine proton vs muon mass by looking at the time delay between the two scintillators and making some presumptions about the particle energy.

Is this the way that you will detect muons in upcoming MFMP reactor testing?

• Is this the way that you will detect muons in upcoming MFMP reactor testing?

There are no current plans to arrange for a muon (charged particle) detector. Setting up charged particle detection dwarfs the gamma ray spectroscopy and neutron detection. Perhaps at some point, but the resources are slim to do this today. It may be possible that Mark Jurich can borrow equipment to do this.

• If the LENR reaction is producing huge amounts of sub-atomic particles, and these particles go undetected in MFMP experiments, could that situation pose a threat to your health and welfare? Do you perform experiments remotely as ME356 recommends?

• If the LENR reaction is producing huge amounts of sub-atomic particles, and these particles go undetected in MFMP experiments, could that situation pose a threat to your health and welfare? Do you perform experiments remotely as ME356 recommends?

Well, there are plenty of particles that MFMP cannot detect - neutrinos for instance. There may be unknown particles for whom detection mechanisms are also unknown. Truly energetic muons, protons, electrons, and positrons will all generate a signal in the GM and NaI scintillator IF they are energetic enough to escape the apparatus and enter the other detectors. Charged particles must be really high energy to escape the materials of the reactor. Muons are not very penetrating unless they are extremely high energy - electrons and protons would be similarly penetrating if they were high energy (>5MeV). We hear about muon penetration associated with cosmogenic muons, but these are 100MeV+; I.E. huge energy. These will not be generated in our LENR reactions - but if they are we will detect them as something else.

• Well, there are plenty of particles that MFMP cannot detect - neutrinos for instance. There may be unknown particles for whom detection mechanisms are also unknown. Truly energetic muons, protons, electrons, and positrons will all generate a signal in the GM and NaI scintillator IF they are energetic enough to escape the apparatus and enter the other detectors. Charged particles must be really high energy to escape the materials of the reactor. Muons are not very penetrating unless they are extremely high energy - electrons and protons would be similarly penetrating if they were high energy (>5MeV). We hear about muon penetration associated with cosmogenic muons, but these are 100MeV+; I.E. huge energy. These will not be generated in our LENR reactions - but if they are we will detect them as something else.

Eros has reported that muons were detectable after they were shielded by thick lead and iron shields and the GM detector was covered with a copper cap. eros said: "At least I think I am right there is something strange to be aware if Cu wrapped GM tube give lot more counts outside of shields."

As referenced here as follows:

My muon knowledge is less than week old. I just cheked wikipedia very little from muonic atoms, so data maybe come from wyttenback papers (in that thread).But data was that in material stopped negative muons do muonic atoms almost instantly, low z material (like hydrogen) posibility to secondary reactions is small so decay negative betas. When Z=11 ratio for secondary/decay is ~50/50. In semi heavy Fe,Ni etc. ratio for secondary/decay 2500/1 and increase when Z increase.Secondary reactions are usually neutron kick out and unstabile nucleus which beta decay soon. Secondary reaction in high Z material is usually fission. (why lead have some risk to stop muons. I have no data which fission Pb do, if lucy get some alchemist gold You speak also that stopped positive muons do decay betas. So Cu tube method should detect them too?What happens if 0-105Mev positron have 1.2mm tube material to travel and born just middle? Minimum 0.6mm Cu, other directions lot of more?(hmm, normal GM tube is stupid detector for that. Muon stopping material should be inside tube/gas. May not exist thech?)I think moust of them generate xray photons (annihilation+brems)?So I think in Cu stopped muons, negative ones do moustly neutrons and betas (some xray?), positive muons do moustly xray photons?GM tube don't see neutrons, but betas and xrays it can see. Right/wrong? At least I think I am right there is something strange to be aware if Cu wrapped GM tube give lot more counts outside of shields..

• Eros has reported that muons were detectable after they were shielded by thick lead and iron shields and the GM detector was covered with a copper cap. eros said: "At least I think I am right there is something strange to be aware if Cu wrapped GM tube give lot more counts outside of shields."

I don't know who Eros is, but this all sounds like crap.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.