THE NEUTRON GENERATOR.

• Sigh. Reading it, there is no there there. There is no experiment that has been done. He wants to do an experiment, trying to fuse protons and electrons to create neutrons. He's planning about 790 keV, which is what it would take for this reaction, if he can get it to happen. I don't think so. The conditions of his experiment seem rather common and if this generated neutrons, it would have been seen.

He covers critique on this page: https://majin-z-shinsuke.blogs…neutron-generator-of.html

This is core:

C1. the neutron is not easily generated in the collision of protons and electrons(陽子と電子の衝突で中性子がざくざくできるとは限らない)

A1. Yes. I know that the incidence of neutrons will only get by the experiment. Now I can only calculate with expected values. I heard it is very difficult to generate a neutron from protons and electrons. But I can't find the document to describe the detail of it. Because there are the beta plus decay and the electron capture in the radioactive decay table, it seems that there is a possibility to make a neutron.

Electron capture does convert a proton to a neutron, but only happens within the nucleus. The acceleration of electrons to impact proton targets is relatively common and relatively easy to do. That's really all he's planning.

He shows that he has no clue what LENR is, nor Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. He thinks that because the apparatus could be small and at room temperature, this would be "cold." In fact, even 100 kV is very, very hot, enough for hot fusion.

I looked for explanation of why electron capture does not happen with free protons. I found nothing.

However, if we look at beta decay, what he wants to do is the inverse of it. Beta decay converts a neutron to a proton plus an electron plus an electron antineutrino. Electron antineutrinos -- highly penetrating because they don't interact much with matter -- are detected by rare interactions with protons, which they can convert to neutrons, with the emission of a positron. The positron will, in ordinary matter, quickly find an electron and they will annihilate each other, releasing a pair of gamma rays with 511 KeV each. So that is the reverse reaction from beta decay. It requires that antineutrino. They are hard to come by.

At least that is what I came up with. Much of nuclear physics did not reach the stage where a high school student would learn it, when I was studying nuclear physics, thinking I would be a nuclear physicist. So I have a basic knowledge -- and I've done a lot of reading since then -- but it is patchy and very incomplete.

• "Bare" electron-proton collisions rarely produce neutrons, due to (I think) some pretty esoteric multi-body QCD quark dynamics.
    For example, see the following --

http://www.pa.uky.edu/~rfatemi…Plots/FriedmanKendall.pdf
    http://inspirehep.net/record/67123/files/slac-pub-0815.pdf
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.8.7303&rep=rep1&type=pdf

However, when many-body electron/proton plasmons collide in intense arcs, possibly neutron production is increased.
    The math is beyond anything I would attempt, though.

• Abd Ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
    I looked for explanation of why electron capture does not happen with free protons. I found nothing.

Note that an electron capture reaction in which an electron is captured by a bare proton would be quite endothermic (by ~ 0.8 MeV).

Right, that's why he is supplying that energy with the applied voltage. He seems to think that if you whack a proton with an 0.8 MeV electron, they will fuse to make a neutron. Nope. Bounce.

• http://www.thecrimson.com/arti…obes-structure-of-proton/

An electron accelerator accelerates electrons up to 6 billion ev. Why doesn't these electrons change protons into neutrons when they impact a proton? What physics stops the production of neutrons from happening?

The machine is capable of pushing electrons up to an energy of six billion electron volts. At that energy level, the electrons are travelling at 99.999,9996 per cent of the speed of light, and their mass has increased 12,000 times.

Most accelerators in the past have been proton accelerators. Protons, nearly 2,000 times as heavy as electrons are substantial projectiles and were among the first of the "atom-smashing" particles. The proton has drawbacks, however. It is surrounded by a strong nuclear force field, and when two protons pass near each other, the interaction is a strong one.

The electron, with its opposing electrical field, does not react nearly so strongly with protons. It can pass near, or even through a proton and be scattered away without violently disturbing the proton itself. For this reason, the electron is a useful probe for examining the internal structure of the proton.

• Source apparently The Harvard Crimson, and of course not referring to any Neutron Generator. Nevertheless an interesting news piece.

The point is electrons and protons don't turn into neutrons no matter how much energy the electron brings to the mating. The electron just passes through the proton in all cases.

A weak force boson must also be included in the mating for that mating to succeed. No boson, no neutron.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.