LENR in architecture

• Hi,

I have started working on an architectural project for my studies at the CASS school in London, with the aim to integrate LENR technology into a building design. The building type isn't set yet, but I would like to design it in such a way that will inspire people to engage with LNER technology, and create a positive architectural experience.

I hope to develop this as far as possible to find real ways to incorporate LENR energy into building design and eventually bring it to the London public by Spring 2017.

I would love to cooperate with anyone interested in developing such ideas, and any feedback from scientists would be really appreciated!

My email - [email protected]

Many thanks!

Alexandra

• Recent research indicate that LENR may generate a huge flux of sub atomic particles called muons. It is possible that these particles disrupt electronic equipment at a substantial distance from the source of the LENR reaction. This might mean that LENR is treated very much like nuclear energy is treated now where the electric utilities under the supervision of the NRC will deploy LENR technology in their generation plants.

This restriction will keep LENR power out of all locally deployed transportation and lighting applications. Industrial applications may be acceptable if EMF disruption is not an issue on a per site basis.

• Official Post

Claims of muons are not a consensus.
    the observation done in many labs is lack of dangerous radiation, and tiny evidence of some above background level.

there have been many discussion about futurology around LENR.

One key question for home architecture is the electric grid architecture.

• One possibility is keeping our heavily centralized energy system, with LENr sized as coal or nuclear power plants, out of the city. Only conservatism and fearmongering may justify this unefficient grid structure.
    • one possibility is district level energy, with 1-10MW distric powerplant using what utilities call microturbines, exploiting current grid but reducing high power landlines. Heating of building may be electric, or partially via heat network in CHP mode. It is a conservative but rational mode. It is disrupting the big utility producer model.
    • one possibility is building-scale CHP/Co/Tri-generation coupled with a grid. ther can be 100-1000kW sized CHP in big buildings or some organized residential area, with a local microgrid, and 10-20kWth CHP furnace for individual houses, connected to the grid. question is about how to coordinate the mass of CHP generators... an bot-UberPop model exploiting bitcoins transactions it the most avanced solution. district generators may help stabilizing the grid. It is disrupting the grid utility model.
    • another more disruptive possibility is to abandon the grid, or connect CHP only as peer to peer with neighbors or ad-hoc grid. CHP would be much bigger and waste heat management should allow electricity on-demand without home heating required. It is disrupting the grid model.
    • Finally maybe some or all devices, like space heaters, washing machine, computers, TV, may become totally autonomous... few non LENR devices may become battery powered, using LENR chargers or nanogrids in the flat, or why not in the big devices... why not recharging your mobile with your LENR TV, your kitchen, your Cloud-node (setopbox+NAS+network)

Independently from the grid model, LENR reactors may be integrated into home electric devices who need heat (space heaters, oven, washing machine, boilers) to reduce electricity production. This efficiency increase may be very valuable if the electricity is produced by a home CHP whose peak power is deciding of the price.

one impact of LENR on housing is about energy efficiency.
    if electricity is produced out of the flat or house, then heating will be electric or heat-grid.
    If energy is from the building with a CHP, there will be a need to reduce peak electric consumption, but heat will be cheap. Tri-generation may change also the AC structure in the building.

LENR, if you consider that recent commercial claims are not confirmed but that LENR science is, will not be production ready until many years. It seems the energy density today is around the same as fission, without need for shielding.

As Axils raised, there is the concern about radiations. I judge from the mass of experimental results that it is improbable, but it may be an evil blackswan calling for redesign of our plans.
    Fearmongering is a more serious concern.

• Okay, architectural design for LENR.

First of all, a caution. There are no confirmed LENR devices close to practical reality. So what they would look like and how they would function is speculative. However, this is reasonbly possible.

The first device to be available may be "heat amplifiers," which will be useful for heating, reducing heating cost. If they are electrically powered, then, electric power could produce more heat, from the reaction, than otherwise. All the heat is useful, the input power ends up creating heat and then the reaction heat is added to that.

However, next generation: electrical power production. This may also produce substantial waste heat, which can then be used or vented. Venting of waste heat would need to be part of any design. There is some speculation that a LENR electric generator will be about the size of a gasoline-powered generator; which it may resemble, except the energy would be provided by LENR heat rather than by burning gasoline. This would be much cleaner, there would be no toxic fumes or carbon impact. So one might think of the impact of this on architecture. A LENR heater might be fairly small, and could be a portable device. It might generate some electrical power by thermoelectric conversion. If being used for power, though, in the summer it would be heating the room.... Ventilation or other cooling will be necessary.

A home electric plant, though, able to provide electricity and all heating and cooling needs for a family, might be no larger than a present furnace. In fact, for early adoption, these might be designed as furnace replacements.

I'm going to add, to repeat, none of this is present reality, and I know of no company truly close to any application like this. The strongest claims have been made by Andrea Rossi, but these are currently under quite a cloud.

• @axil So far as I know even Holmlid produced only slow <= 10MeV (E-kin!!) muons which are caught locally!

SEE post

Going Small: Thousands of 20 Watt Quarkx Reactors to Make Up Large Plants

ME356 detects EMF interference meters removed from the LENR reaction. strong RF is not detected. This implies that sub-atomic particle emissions produce intense impossible to shield EMF interference as duplicated by defkalion.

• you don't have a building in mind..... I would suggest a greenhouse and use the LENR to heat the water for an aquaponics system.
    I think there may be an outside chance getting hot water from LENR in the reasonable future but electrical power is a different
    story. Also, you could capitalize on the "green" aspect of it.

• LENR is a disruptive technology unlike any other type of energy generation. The implementation of LENR will be based partly on how the final product is eventually delivered and partly on other constraints such as manufacturing. What everyone needs to understand is that with this technology energy becomes almost valueless. When the cost of energy becomes only the manufacturing, installation and maintenance of a device the economies are totally changed. No longer do you build something with energy efficiency as a main design parameter, instead its about cost of manufacturing and lifetime costs of upkeep. So with this in mind any building design should consider being an energy waster but cheap to build and operate.

I see a marriage between LENR and 3D printing of large structures including printing steel reinforcement directly into the structure. Remember the old dot matrix printers? Well that is the level of sophistication of 3D printing right now. Imagine a large machine capable of 3D printing the entire structure from the basement upwards including concrete walls, steel reinforcements, utilities such as water, sewer, heating, cooling etc... all you need to do is paint it and move in furniture. Image the variety of architecture that could be accomplished this way, perhaps even mile high carbon nanotube towers will be grown this way....

• Official Post

I amend my position.
    First Abd is right, Jon too.

EDIT: We have no clear proof of COMMERCIAL-READY working INDUSTRIAL-GRADE LENR REACTOR, just UNDENIABLE pile of lab results, and claims (a big part of them already identified as fraud) of Commercial-Ready technology. End of disclaimer.
    let it be clear : LENR is real, will be a revolution for energy, but it is still solid science and weak commercial claims.

As abd said, big question is waste heat. with CHP, it is solved as primary production is heat, and electricity is a byproduct.
    This is a huge problem for portable devices (imagine a LENR mobile phone, laptop, tv), and less a one for wet devices (washing machines, irons, boilers, bathtubes).
    for main home generator, not CHP, there is a need to waste heat by a chimney, by radiators, by heat grid, by waste heat grid... new opportunity for innovation.

first application of LENR if working is heat amplifier as sid, space heater, oven, boilers, washing machine heaters.
    It will move to CHP, and then to generation.

big opportunity is peer to peer sharing of energy, in the sense of sharing economy, p2p grid, heat or electricity.

LENr is disruptive in that it will requires and allows never seen model of organization.
    I think about Sharing economy, bitcoin trade of energy, autarcic models, grid reorganization, utilities bankruptcy, home device autonomy, distributed power, nano-grids ...

I also see a way to use energy to clean water, to exploit rainwater, grey-water, to treat wastes, allowing people to use more but in circle economy with no waste and less consumption.

impact on architecture is only indirect.
    I see one as home insulation change.One is greenhouse (cultivating banana at home in France with waste heat).
    one is comfort devices being cheaper like pool, greenhouse, bathtub/jakuzi,
    allowance of autarcic home at affordable price. big impact on (des)urbanization structure.
    change in shape and functions of home apparatus (recharging phone on the TV/washing-machine/NAS-settopbox/kitchenstove)

• Wow this is amazing! So happy to have found this forum, even though I don't understand most of it at the moment! ?( I will try to figure out what I can and then feedback to you my interpretation! Also I'll try post some images of concepts soon and it would be great if anyone could sketch/add ideas and see what we come up with!

If there is anyone in or near London interested in meeting as well that could be an option.

Many thanks!

• Alexandra
    Dont be overwhelmed by the science of LENR. Im not a scientist or a physicist I work building water and wastewater infrastructure and I worked in renewable energy for several years. Let the big heads in here argue over the physics just think of the LENR as a box that produces heat and electricity at nearly free cost. The important thing to remember is that this technology changes how we produce stuff and operate machinery.

An example is instead of plowing snow off your parking lot melt it off by embedding a heating system into the asphalt. Cooling large greenhouses to produce cold weather vegetables in desert climates, vice versa growing tropical fruit in the arctic circle.

Please keep me in the loop as you move forward with your work.
    Jon

• There are reports from experimenters that electrical and electronic equipment stops working meters away from an active LENR reactor. Holmlid reports that a huge electric charge builds up on the inside surface of his experiment. What is causing these distressing experimental reports? Rossi also reports that 20% of his power output comes in the form of whole cloth electron generation.

Where does the assumption that LENR will be let loose on the world without regulation and licencing? IMHO, home use of LENR by the public will not be permitted.

• Official Post

There will be lobbies trying to defend lighting gaz technology, monopoly by gaz companies, agains evil electricity...
    but it will not last long as long as it works much better.

If LENr is a hell to integrate in a house, ok, it will be regulated at the utility scale...
    otherwise, like Internet, there will be a dark-net.

• There will be lobbies trying to defend lighting gaz technology, monopoly by gaz companies, agains evil electricity...
    but it will not last long as long as it works much better.

If LENr is a hell to integrate in a house, ok, it will be regulated at the utility scale...
    otherwise, like Internet, there will be a dark-net.

If a person wants to have a trillion muons passing through their body every second then they might choose to use the dark-net.

Now, 10% of background radiation comes from muons from the sky(see graph below). Muons arrive at sea level with an average flux of about 1 muon per square centimeter per minute. This is about half of the typical total natural radiation background. With a home LENR reactor, multiply the muon flux by 1,000,000 and the radiation load goes up considerably. If everybody in your neighborhood or apartment block has a LENR reactor and some more background radiation loading to your poor body. Then there are the LENR powered cars passing by your house, next the lights in your house and on the street...on and on...

• I just read of an energy device that supposedly if used improperly in your basement can explode, completely destroying you and your home.

Its called gas fired boiler....

Any radiation concerns can be easily addressed either by distance or shielding. Did a hole 10 ft deep in your back yard drop a container into the hole, add wiring and cover with several feet of dirt.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.