Trump and Energy Policy

• Official Post

You statement that only "passing comments" should be made about climate change is like saying that disease should only be mentioned in passing in a discussion of healthcare policy.

Jed. I have seen other forums trashed by arguments and abuse generated by discussion of climate change. So while I am entirely cognisant of your point, I stick with my wish to keep that particular genie mostly in its bottle.

• @JedRothwell,

In keeping with Alan's wishes I will frame it this way. Do you think that Trump and energy policy will consider that NiH CF works? If so are there any papers on the lenr-canr database that you feel support NiH based CF? Even the latest findings in the BEC report from SRI is within error/noise bounds. So do you believe we have verified NiH CF?

-Thanks Rigel

• So while I am entirely cognisant of your point, I stick with my wish to keep that particular genie mostly in its bottle.

When people "trash" the discussion with statements contrary to settled scientific facts, I suggest go after them. We need to have some standards in cold fusion.

In that case, the subject of this discussion thread is energy policy, and you cannot discuss energy policy without taking into account global warming, any more than you can ignore OPEC and Russian oil. I will drop the discussion but I suggest you re-think what you said, because -- frankly -- it is weird.

• In keeping with Alan's wishes I will frame it this way. Do you think that Trump and energy policy will consider that NiH CF works?

Trump seems to be doing pretty much what he said he would do during the campaign, which surprises me a little. During the campaign, he promised to turn back the clock and reinstate coal as the principal fuel in the U.S. He does not like wind or solar energy. The people he appointed are strongly opposed to alternative energy and clean energy. Trump has ordered the EPA to stop doing what it does, and he has ordered NASA to stop monitoring global warming and other environmental conditions. His Sec. of State is from Exxon, and the others in the administration are also strongly opposed to clean energy and innovation. So, all in all, my guess is that this administration would never allow one dollar's worth of research into cold fusion. I expect that if they hear about any research, they will crush it immediately.

If so are there any papers on the lenr-canr database that you feel support NiH based CF?

There are some. Use the "Google Custom Search" on every page to look for "nickel" or "Ni-H".

So do you believe we have verified NiH CF?

Sort of. Somewhat. Not as much as Pd-D.

• Yep. Trump is more or less doing what he said he would do. Although I disagree with him in some areas and wish he would go MUCH FURTHER in other aspects, I'm more satisfied with what he has done (overall) than any other President in my lifetime than I can remember. The problem with solar and wind is that they are not real solutions; for example, there is no way to put enough solar panels on an ordinary vehicle to get the same performance and range (even at night) as a typical vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine. What we need is a compact, power dense, and portable energy source that continually operates regardless of time of day or weather conditions. The solution is cold fusion.

I think once the world recognizes that Ni-H fusion is a reality and can produce 1000 watts per gram that no one will be able to successfully block the adoption of the technology. So many companies around the world will be scrambling to produce their own products that the revolution will be unstoppable. Solar and wind will just be footnotes in history.

• The problem with solar and wind is that they are not real solutions; for example, there is no way to put enough solar panels on an ordinary vehicle to get the same performance and range (even at night) as a typical vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine. What we need is a compact, power dense, and portable energy source that continually operates regardless of time of day or weather conditions. The solution is cold fusion.

Samsung will not go the Trump way. They anounced a new battery technolgy that doubles the range of E-cars. Toyota and other use fuel cells, which are also more efficient than fuel burning cars. Even Google (US) is testing a natural gas fuel cell which gives a 50% efficiecy (electric!!).

Wind and solar energy are ideal to remotely/distributed load car batteries. By the way: An electro motor is 5-7 times more efficient than any fuel driven motor because it is efficient under all load conditions!

Trump just missed his time! 1984 would have been his year... We at Europe just laugh at him!

Watch (partly in german English interviews) Inauguration interviews

• The best car battery ever developed wouldn't compare with LENR. Even the best batteries are expensive, usually heavy, and have to be charged up. Cold Fusion will produce virtually unlimited power on demand - an LENR vehicle could drive the roads for tens of thousands of miles until the tires wore out! There is no solar or wind technology that comes close to allowing for such performance.

Trump is not an ideal President. I could go on for an hour about his faults. However, unlike all other candidates (including republicans) he is willing to do whatever it takes to put the United States first. For an eternity the United States has been supporting other nations and spending trillions of dollars around the world. Now it is time to do what is best for the United States. This means getting out of trade agreements which hurt us (NAFTA), staying out of military conflicts that are none of our business (for example the war with Iraq), ending illegal immigration and deporting aliens, cutting government spending starting with wasteful foreign aid to terrorist nations, and a whole host of other examples. On the social side of things, people love to call Trump a racist, sexist, and a bigot, but he's not at all. For example, the true sexists are the democrats like Hillary who would allow massive immigration from middle eastern countries. Europe has already been turned into a rape-land by these migrants. Nations that almost never endured such violence against women are suffering rape and sexual assault rates going through the roof! And what do the leaders of these nations do? Tell their women that the migrants just don't know any better. Some of the rape victims are so brainwashed they make excuses for their rapists! Hillary, the democrats, and many Republicans are the TRUE sexists for opening the door to allowing these migrants here. That is why Trump calls for EXTREME VETTING!

Overall, I think Trump will make the best President the United States has had perhaps in a century. He'll probably do some stuff I totally disagree with, but I think he is saving our nation from a horrible future.

The liberals in Europe can keep laughing about Trump all they want. Sadly, they might keep on laughing when their wife or daughter is being attacked in the other room by a migrant who views women as nothing more than objects. I like the story of the elderly French woman who had an illegal migrant sneaking around her home looking at her grand daughter. She told him to go away and she called the cops. The cops did nothing. So just in case she buys a machete (since in Europe the government doesn't believe in a person's right to self defense and supports the idea that little old women should be forced to defend themselves with their fists from men twice their size), comes home, and catches the man on top of her grand daughter about to rape her. She proceeds to cut him up to bits. Now, the details of this story may be a little off, because I read it several months ago. Interestingly, the local judge said that although defending her daughter from rape was illegal, that it was difficult for him to prosecute her because most of the city wanted to give her a medal!

Trump represents the primal call of free people shouting out, "We're going to defend ourselves and our families and our people, and we don't care what the hell you think!"

• The liberals in Europe can keep laughing about Trump all they want. Sadly, they might keep on laughing when their wife or daughter is being attacked in the other room by a migrant who views women as nothing more than objects.

@MSS: Calm down: If Trump would start reconstruction work as fast as discrimination of birth control, then we would applause. I agree that Hillary would have been the worse choice and that's the Crux: Why could the US-citizens just make the choice between two different opponents of the modern finance Oligarchy?

The other point is the fundamental lack in cultural knowledge among US citizens. Most of the refuges (I'm not talking about the African high society boys just seeking a lazy live in Europe...) which went to Germany, are better educated, than the average US citizen. Only very few of them have screwed up (some call it hard core religious) minds.

But even these few people will in average kill far less Europeans than any US citizen kills all year (total over 30000!!)

Take a close watch at Turkey and Russia - now two dictatorship countries - and how Trump will communicate with them. Especially in central Turkey live more hard core religious people than anywhere (except Pakistan an other US allied..) else in the world.

Conclusion: The world has always been changed by economy. Invent a better LENR process - or support R.Mills - and forget about what Trump should/could do!

• Mr. SS,

I have just read the above and have said this before to someone else. You may not be a bigot but what you said above was bigoted. I am not a liberal by any means. I am totally aware of islamic fundamentalism. But you are off topic on this and since you have previously presented your religious belief system, consider it in the larger picture.

BTW batteries may also someday be made of a completely new tech such as a fueled vane driven engine coupled to a Al or Mg hybrid battery/capacitor. We have had cars since the 1950 (I think chain drive Opel cadet) that got over 200 mpg on the shell sponsored mileage challenge.

Invent a better LENR process - or support R.Mills - and forget about what Trump should/could do

This may be just one of the reasons, why Trump wouldn't want to support cold fusion...

BTW batteries may also someday be made of a completely new tech such as a fueled vane driven engine coupled to a Al or Mg hybrid battery/capacitor

It's still just a battery - their energy (and energy required for their manufacture) must be produced somewhere else..

• for example, there is no way to put enough solar panels on an ordinary vehicle to get the same performance and range (even at night) as a typical vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine.

This is like saying that hydroelectricity is useless because there is no way you can directly power a vehicle with a flow of water from a river, with a long hose, let us say. Solar power is not suitable for a vehicle. Neither is wind power, or nuclear fission. However, there is approximately 9 times more readily available wind power in the U.S. than we consume, and roughly 1,000 times more solar power than we consume, so obviously these are viable sources of energy. More viable in the long term than, say, coal or natural gas.

The solution is cold fusion.

I agree, but it does not work yet. It cannot controlled or scaled up, and the physics are not yet understood. So for the time being it is prudent to continue building wind and solar installations to replace coal.

In recent years, coal has been reduced from ~50% of power generation capacity to 30%, with wind and natural gas both taking about 10% of the total away from coal. There is no doubt that in another 20 years coal could be reduced to zero. This would greatly reduce carbon emissions and it would also save the lives of roughly 20,000 people in the U.S. who are killed by coal smoke every year. (We could also save them by raising the cost of electricity a little and retrofitting coal-fired generators with pollution controls, but this would make coal even more expensive than natural gas and wind than it already is, so it is cheaper to simply replace it.)

• Official Post

When people "trash" the discussion with statements contrary to settled scientific facts, I suggest go after them. We need to have some standards in cold fusion.

In that case, the subject of this discussion thread is energy policy, and you cannot discuss energy policy without taking into account global warming, any more than you can ignore OPEC and Russian oil. I will drop the discussion but I suggest you re-think what you said, because -- frankly -- it is weird.

OK Jed. We all have our weirdnesses I guess. Even you - but we like you just the same.

• If stating the truth that people who literally believe in and obey the teachings and writings of Islam are violent individuals who should not be allowed to travel beyond their home countries is bigoted, them I'm proudly a bigot! I refuse to abide by political correctness and deny the truth. For the record, I think there are good people from every nation on this planet. Someone's color -- or number of eyes or antenna if they are an extraterrestrial -- doesn't make them good or evil. However, if anyone from any race or even SPECIES (including any Martians that may still be inhabiting artificial constructs in the outer regions of our solar system) believes in any book that teaches that people who believe differently should be murdered, along with their families, if they do not convert, they are evil. Period. And you know what? I don't want them around me. Because if their holy book teaches those things -- WHICH THE KORAN DOES -- then they themselves are a threat. For goodness sakes, there are countless examples around the world of the horrendous evils done by individuals who claim to be of the, "religion of peace." Yep, they believe in peace, but only if you follow every last one of their teachings. In their cities if you are a woman and you dare to uncover your head in public, you can have your face covered in acid! This actually happened in Iraq not that long ago -- the video is on the web for anyone to see. A row of women were lined up and had acid poured on their faces by a group of female "religious" police.

There is nothing wrong with protecting your home and your own people. And when it comes to the United States, I don't think "people" means any one color or race. Everyone who came here legally, obeying the laws (not illegally crossing the border which makes them an enemy combatant from the start), is part of this nation -- a fellow citizen. And Presidents, such as Trump, have a duty to protect all citizens from invaders. Unfortunantely, previous presidents (even the Republicans) were too cowardly and politically correct to enforce existing immigration laws -- much less build a wall or ban travel from certain nations. Trump is doing what needs to be done!

By the way, do you remember the SCIFI series "Alien Nation?"

It was one of my favorite series. It was about a gigantic alien slave ship that crashed in California. In this fictional show, every single extraterrestrial being (they called themselves the newcomers) went through DUE PROCESS and became US Citizens. Personally, I would find something like that VERY interesting, and I hope one day we will have members of other species on this planet living among us. But if they believed in a book that taught violence and murder against people who believed differently, I'd be totally supportive of them being sent back to wherever they came from!

• So for the time being it is prudent to continue building wind and solar installations to replace coal.

In recent years, coal has been reduced from ~50% of power generation capacity to 30%, with wind and natural gas both taking about 10% of the total away from coal. There is no doubt that in another 20 years coal could be reduced to zero.

Note that you have to gradually replace generator plants anyway. They wear out. You might as well build gas fired plants, wind turbines and solar cells instead of coal plants. Natural gas is cheaper than coal, which is why the Trump policy of making coal the top fuel again will never work. Wind is also cheaper than a new coal plant, and far cheaper over the life of a turbine because there is no fuel cost. Solar is rapidly falling in price and will soon be the cheapest source of electricity in many geographical areas (depending on how much sunlight they get).

See Table 1 here:

http://www.eia.gov/outlooks/capitalcost/

Table 1, here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusionb.pdf

• Official Post

Speaking of weird, Japan is forging ahead with fitting fuel cells to ordinary dwellings (space permitting) Toshiba, Panasonic and others aided by generous government subsidies have fitted over 120,000+ gas/air fuel cells already. They end-feed the grid with power (500W each) 24/7 and also provide hot water and emergency power to the people who fit them. This is helping Japan break away from using Nukes and making their power grid more earthquake resilient. Total energy efficiency of a fuel cell system supplying electricity and hot water according to the manufacturers is 95%, compared with 41% for conventional power stations. Cost to consumer - around $2.5k/unit.

Is the USA getting on board with this?

http://panasonic.co.jp/ap/FC/en_about_01.html

• Jed,

I'm convinced that cold fusion works and can be scaled up. However, some of the most technically intuitive and smart inventors are turning out to be very shady, extremely paranoid, and compulsive liars. This is making some parties think negatively of claims of high powered Ni-H cold fusion. Basically, I think Patterson's paranoid and controlling personality is being re-incarnated in other inventors who have working technology, but they would rather lie and scheme than let anyone else have any significant stake in the rewards. To a limited degree, I think the same is true with Me356 in how he made specific promises (to be fullfilled in the near term) to the MFMP and this forum only to go completely silent. The dream of having a monopoly or at least a big head start on all other entities in the field makes people grow secretive and money hungry -- to the point they'll be unethical.

You may believe me or not, but I honestly think (right or wrong) that optimizing hydrogen absorption and related factors is the key to making high powered Ni-H. If we had a few more researchers capable of sustained and continued testing (instead of one offs) I think we could crack this nut in a matter of months or less. More than anything else, I think that processing the nickel to be more receptive to hydrogen and perhaps using atomic hydrogen during pre-hydrogenation are the real keys. Other advancements may be useful, but they are only the icing on the cake.

• Now I am sad, your life experience and teachings and beliefs are similar to mine when I was younger. So I am sad for myself now as well as you. I will not talk down to you as changing a belief system is one of the hardest things to do. As I said I will not talk down but suggest you re-read and think about things in a different light.

some of the most technically intuitive and smart inventors are turning out to be very shady, extremely paranoid, and compulsive liars

Patterson, Piantelli, Rossi, Me356 - all they're extremely secretive. But this is just one half of problem. The second problem is, nobody wants to replicate them, I mean exactly - and everyone invents his own solution and ideas. Patterson was secretive, yes - but who actually attempted to replicate him? Who attempted to replicate the publicly available know-how of Piantelli or Me356?

It's visible even here at this forum. Everyone is frenetically inventing his own theories and stuffs, whereas simply looking into literature would be enough.

• I'm convinced that cold fusion works and can be scaled up.

You are incorrect. You cannot point to any experimental evidence to back up your claim, therefore you are wrong. This is science. You can't just make things up and declare them real.

No one knows how to scale up cold fusion. I am in contact with just about every researcher on earth, since I copy edit the ICCF papers and other submissions to JCMNS. I do not understand the theory papers but I know of no experiments anywhere that show enough control over the reaction to scale it up.

Rossi has claimed he can control the reaction, but he lied. No one else ever made that claim. Not Patterson or anyone else.

You may believe me or not,

You are not the issue here. "Belief" has nothing to do with it. I have read the literature, visited the labs, and talked to the researchers. I know the facts, and your assertion is factually wrong. If you think cold fusion can be controlled, you do not know what the hell you are talking about. This is like saying that all forms of cancer can be cured.

In this surrealistic new era of "alternative facts" I would like to reaffirm the 400-year-old tradition of science in which facts are facts, they are confirmed by experiments, and your opinion carries no weight.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.