Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• This thread should probably be renamed “Trying to reason with Adrian and Sam” or perhaps “Exercise in Futility”.

Hurricane Rossi will soon be here.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Best played at 1.25 1.50

Enjoy

• Bob: I keep an open mind that the Rossi

and the Ecat invention could be as you see it.I hope you keep an open mind that Rossi

will be succesful with the Ecat as I see it.

BTW I have looked at the facts and comments etc about Rossi and his invention

that it gets my head spinning sometimes.

Here is Interesting story about another inventor.

Where are you, Edison, now that we need you?

He was an odd sort of hero. A millionaire who often lived like a bum, sleeping in a closet with his clothes on—because he believed that taking them off promoted insomnia—and spitting on the floor even in his cherished laboratories. A picturesque swearer who hired assistants whom George Bernard Shaw called "sensitive, cheerful and profane; liars, braggarts and hustlers." A would-be tycoon so crotchety and bullheaded that he could give little credit to the ideas of others; so inept in business matters that he lost control of the immensely profitable companies he founded. An incurable show-off and self-promoter who circulated so many myths about his personality and accomplishments that 48 years after his death historians are still struggling to separate legend from fact.

But Thomas Alva Edison was also the most prolific inventor who ever lived; without his gadgets modern life would be inconceivable. The phonograph, the movie camera, the microphone, the mimeograph, the stock ticker—they only begin the list. Though Alexander Graham Bell devised the first telephone transmitter and receiver, it was Edison who worked out a system of reproducing phone conversations over long distances loudly enough that they could be heard easily, and who may have been the first to shout "hello" into a telephone mouthpiece. His one discovery in basic science—the "Edison effect," the emission of electrons from a heated electric conductor—led eventually to the creation of the electronics industry. which has given the world radio, television, computers, radar and other marvels. Indeed, Edison's inventions are literally too numerous to mention. He set and retains the record for U.S. patents held by an individual, a staggering 1,093.

Above all, Edison invented the first practical electric light, and a power-distribution system that put it cheaply into every home. Like much else about Edison, the precise date is in dispute, but the inventor himself remembered Oct. 21, 1879, as the day on which he began the test of the first successful light bulb.

Are there lessons to be learned from the life and ways of the quintessential Yankee tinkerer that could help revive the flickering spirit of U.S. invention? Any understanding of the great inventor must begin by stripping away myths. Edison, who had a lust for glory and a constitutional inability to refrain from embellishing a good story, saw to it that that would be no easy job; he perpetrated an incredible number of myths about himself. He often boasted that he had never attended school for a single day. Untrue. He had at least three years of formal education as a child—a stint that was not unusually short in the rural Ohio and Michigan of his youth. As a budding inventor, he also attended classes in chemistry at New York City's Cooper Union after realizing that his self-taught knowledge of that science was inadequate.

He talked so often about his need for no more than three hours' sleep a night that the story has become enshrined in biographies. A half-truth at best. When the Ford Motor Co. archives were opened in 1951, researchers found many pictures of Henry Ford and his pal Edison in laboratories, at meetings and on outings. In some of these photos, Ford seemed attentive and alert, but Edison could be seen asleep — on a bench, in a chair, on the grass. His secret weapon was the catnap, and he elevated it to an art. Recalled one of his associates: "His genius for sleep equaled his genius for invention. He could go to sleep any where, any time, on anything."

The truth is somewhat less flattering to Edison than the myths. Like many a genius, he was often a terrible trial to those who had to get along with him. He disliked not only changing his clothes but bathing, damaged his health by subsisting on pie and coffee, and neglected his two wives and six children. He lavished material goods on them, but otherwise paid scarcely any attention to them; in fact he rarely slept at home, preferring the laboratory. His first wife died grossly overweight; his second once said their marriage had been "no great love." The Hollywood picture of Edison as a dedicated battler for the good of humanity could hardly be more wrong. Much as his inventions did benefit humanity, Edison's object was to make money, as much as he could. His first patent was on a device for automatically and speedily recording votes in Congress and state legislatures; but because such a machine was seen as a threat to the filibuster, the legislators did not want it. Edison later took delight in recalling what he had resolved then and there: "Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success." For once, there is no reason to doubt his word.

He did make money; when he died in 1931 he left an estate of more than $2 million. Not bad for the depths of the Great Depression, but a puny sum compared with what a good businessman could have realized from Edison's inventions. Part of the reason for Edison's failure to capitalize on his own ideas was his fanatic resistance to any attempts to modify them. He insisted for too long that his cylinders made better recording devices than the more practical discs, and, because he had worked with direct current, he fought the introduction of alternating current. He gave demonstrations in which stray dogs were electrocuted with jolts of A.C. to dramatize a nonexistent threat to the safety of humans.

Another reason for Edison's inability to hold on to money was his extravagance. He excelled at raising venture capital (J.P. Morgan helped to bankroll his effort to invent the electric light), but had a genius for spending even more than he raised. Not on himself; his oddball personal habits were far from extravagant. But no sum was too great to lavish on his laboratories; Edison ordered the most expensive materials on earth, like platinum, by the pound. He was also the creator of the modern research and development lab, which he called an "invention factory." He was the first to hire a team of scientists and technicians and set them to work systematically producing innovations. But his inability to stay within a budget would speedily get him fired from any corporate lab today, if his spectacular untidiness did not discourage the lab from hiring him in the first place.

What then was the secret of Edison's inventiveness? The core of it must remain as elusive as the mystery of why Rembrandt handled chiaroscuro so masterfully; it was an inborn gift, honed by practice but unteachable. Nobel-prizewinning Physicist Isidor I. Rabi, for one, maintains that Edison could no more have stopped himself from inventing than a born punster can refrain from playing word games. Robert Conot, author of a 1979 biography of Edison, A Streak of Luck, observes that Edison's mind "multiplied devices from a single idea like a dividing amoeba and then compartmentalized the creations and endeavors." He was supremely self-confident; if prevailing opinion was that a device could not be invented, that only made Edison more convinced that it could. And Conot depicts a man who was totally open-minded about how to proceed—until he came to a conviction, at which point he turned into a doctrinaire fanatic.

Edison had habits of mind that can still be useful to would-be inventors and their bosses. One was simple—but incredible—persistence. It was Edison who said that "genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." No matter that he hired assistants to do the sweating while he provided the spark; nearly all his inventions came after thousands of experiments that failed but taught him something. The only device that worked on the first try was the phonograph. It was a piece of serendipity; Edison had been trying to invent a device that would permit telephone messages to be sent over telegraph lines, and was astonished to discover that the apparatus could record his own voice. Partly because the phonograph came so easily, he distrusted it enough to fail to capitalize on its moneymaking potential. (Another reason was that he had poor hearing and no real appreciation of music, and did not realize what a bonanza could be reaped by recording melodies.)

Edison also saw inventions in a social and commercial context. He drew up lists of inventions that the world needed, or at least would buy, and set out to produce them. In the case of electric light, gas was already lighting homes, and electric arc lights were illuminating streets and stores—though much too brilliantly, and expensively, for general use. The need, Edison saw, was for some other form of electric illumination that would provide a steadier and, above all, cheaper glow than gas.

To produce it, he drew on the ideas of others, as he often did, though he gave them no credit. After experimenting with any number of materials, he hit on carbon. He tried to give the impression that he came up with that idea independently. In fact, says Biographer Conot, his laboratory notebooks prove that he read and underlined reports of the experiments of Joseph Swan in England. Swan had invented an electric bulb that used a fine carbon rod.

There were technical differences between the bulbs that, Edison's partisans say, made his superior. For example, Swan's carbon rod was fairly thick, Edison's filament was thin. But a crucial difference was that Swan stopped with inventing the bulb, while Edison took what would now be called a "systems approach"; he saw that the bulb had to be only one of a whole series of inventions. To make it in the first place, he and his assistants had to produce a more complete vacuum than had ever been known before. Then they had to devise a power-distribution system for lighting the bulbs in millions of homes. In Edison's words: "There was no precedent for such a thing, and nowhere in the world could we purchase these parts. It was necessary to invent everything: dynamos, regulators, meters, switches, fuses, fixtures, underground conductors with their necessary connecting boxes, and a host of other detail parts, even down to insulating tape." They did, and on Sept. 4, 1882, Edison gave the order to throw the switch lighting up a small section of downtown Manhattan.

What drove him to invent? The desire to make money and win personal glory, of course. But even Edison saw that was not enough. One of his less noted sayings pointed the way not only for inventors but for all those who work with their brains. He plastered his labs with a quotation from Sir Joshua Reynolds: "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking," to which Edison added one of his own: "The man who doesn't make up his mind to cultivate the habit of thinking misses the greatest pleasures in life." A most unorthodox and in many ways unattractive thinker, Edison nonetheless multiplied the pleasures of life for everyone who listens to a record, watches a movie or flips a light switch.

• Sam,

I don't think the the example of Edison will will carry much weight with the pathoskeptics. Once you have convinced yourself no E-Cat has ever worked, what is there left to talk about? It is a dead end. Sure they can write endlessly rehashing past history, but that is pointless if it doesn't work.

Inventors often seem to have strange eccentric habits. But they all have in common determination and great persistence. Rossi certainly does.

It would be better to speculate on how the new generation of high temperature E-Cats might work than just keep repeating that they don't. It would be more interesting at least.

ps. Those that enjoyed Yuja Wang may like this short encore, played faster than one would think possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alxBofd_eQ

• A most unorthodox and in many ways unattractive thinker, Edison nonetheless multiplied the pleasures of life for everyone who listens to a record, watches a movie or flips a light switch.

Sam.

Yes, Edison was a bit eccentric. The difference was that he PROVED his inventions worked and DID bring the to market.

Tesla was MORE eccentric but ALSO brought revolutionary AC electric systems to reality. Both PROVED thier systems / inventions works.

Rossi COULD do this, (if had a working device), but instead he continually lies and decieves. It is not just a matter of being eccentric.... it is a matter of being criminally fraudulent.

Again I would ask, other than "Rossi says", why do believe he has anything? He is a proven liar. So if you do not accept his word, what facts do you have?

All the hard facts point to Rossi as a continual liar and deciever. There are no facts that point to him having what he states.

So do you take the word of a proven, habitual liar or do you consider the facts?

Which? What do you base you believe on? Same ad AA? "Why would any one scam like this, what is there to gain?"

Even though AA refuses to acknowledge it, there is 11 million reasons (dollars) for Rossi to continue!

Why do you believe?

• being a weirdo, was Edison ever accused of fraud or behaved suspiciously.

Yes, he was accused of being a fraud, for good reason. He often cheated his business partners and investors. He often behaved suspiciously. See the biography "A Stroke of Luck" for details. However, you have to put this in historic context. that sort of "sharp dealing" was common in the 19th century. That is why, for example, Cyrus Field was cheated out of the fortune he made organizing the transatlantic cable.

Edison was often dishonest but there is no doubt he was a genius and he made vital contributions to technology. Rossi, on the other hand, is dishonest but there is little or no evidence he has made any contributions to anything.

The story that Edison cheated Tesla is exaggerated, in my opinion. Tesla ended his life without money, but I think it was because he suffered from mental illness. Various wealthy people gave him enough to live in a luxury hotel. When his lab burned down late in his life, Edison helped him immediately, giving him lab space and helping him rebuild.

• @Adrian Ashfield I am not a pathological sceptic. I was a huge Rossi fan untill I started to pay more attention to rossisays. After that I quickly realized that there is no logic in it.

Eccentric behaviour usually does not include swindling I guess.

Max,

The two are mutually inclusive,

If you do not believe what “Rossi says”,

You MUST be a pathoskeptic.

• A.R. made the QX presentation in Stockholm.I believe him when he says he

made improvements since then and it’s

ready for market.

I have set a dead line for myself of April 1 2019 for A.R. to show that he has industrialized the Q.X. successfully.

So time will tell for me.

BTW I asked Frank and it was Doral where he met Rossi and was shown the QX.

Rossi told him he had another lab in the Miami area.

• sam12: "BTW I asked Frank and it was Doral where he met Rossi and was shown the QX.

Rossi told him he had another lab in the Miami area."

This is the first time I read something about that Rossi invited/received guests to show them his new QX development at Doral, where he was conducting a year long test to sell heat to his famous customer and was caught almost 24/7 in his container? Did the contract allow to do so from IH's perspective? Maybe I missed that information...

• sam12: "BTW I asked Frank and it was Doral where he met Rossi and was shown the QX.

Rossi told him he had another lab in the Miami area."

This is the first time I read something about that Rossi invited/received guests to show them his new QX development at Doral, where he was conducting a year long test to sell heat to his famous customer and was caught almost 24/7 in his container? Did the contract allow to do so from IH's perspective? Maybe I missed that information...

This was after the lawsuit, so I do not think IH was interested nor involved.

Frank went there and saw a demo from Rossi. Of course, it was just an observation. No confirming, no measuring, etc. Just a visual show.

This is however, the first I have heard of Rossi claiming a second lab in the Miami area at the same time he was in Doral. Although, in my book, it means nothing. Rossi claims stuff all the time.

Although, if it exists and someone found the location it would be interesting for sure! It was rather enjoyable watching the detective work some did on Doral. While some argued "missing window panes" ad nauseam, there was much useful information gained.

Perhaps someone will sleuth this new facility out IF it exists.

• As I reported several days ago, Rossi is now working with an SK powered turbine. He says he has retrofitted a single SK reactor to a second hand turbine and it runs. I have no reason to disbelieve him at this point.

There are some major problems in how to design a heat exchanger that is able to extract the heat from the SK and items like how you can connect both ends of the SK reactor to the required electrical input at those temperatures.

I suppose the usual suspects will make much of there being no proof, although they have no proof that Rossi has not done what he says. Pity, as this could be a more interesting debate than again repeating it is all lies.

I think this an interesting development, but with the risk it will delay the public demo expected at the end of 2018.

as long as he is not able to convert from farenheit to celsius, there is not the slightest reason to believe anything he says.

It is not just a matter of being eccentric.... it is a matter of being criminally fraudulent

It is not at all about being eccentric. Who care about that? It's about lies and frauds and nothing but lies and frauds. It's about frauds aplenty prior to the ecat and the fact that Rossi has not had a single real provable achievement of importance during his entire life. Some think he made successful biofuel engines at some point. OK. Know of any tests we can read? Know of proof such a thing existed?

• Hilarious, I give up now believing AA had an expertise as engineer... Rossi can probably claim to test his whatever Cats and dogs as booster for space rocket engines or even start hot fusion reactors with his 10eV hot devices... just to keep his followers lucky.

For those who have no clue on what it means to design, certify and sell gas turbines I recommend to have a closer look at the related ISO standards. If he is pursuing to have a product in this field, he needs to get hundred years old, even if it would work a more than challenging task...:(

Not sure if Rossi ever had a Look at these documents... and I am sure he would have to apply for tests with his gas turbine at the local responsible fire departement.

https://www.iso.org/committee/54432/x/catalogue/

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.