Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• That's not "speaking hypothetically", it is illogical , unless you changed you mind and are no longer certain.

As you can't see the obvious difference in danger levels between a nuclear fission plant and an SK LENR reactor, there is no point in continuing this discussion.

You couldn't come up with a single example of how the SK presents a potential danger.

Adrian: please pay attention.

Safety is not about knowing a specific issue will happen. It is about being sure no issue will happen.

For Rossi to sell heat his kit will need safety validation as a boiler. you are surely aware of the many ways steam can be dangerous. Since the heat source is unconventional that will, unless Rossi lies, create issues. How can he prove there is no possibility of runaway excess heating?

In addition, if claims are believed, this is a NUCLEAR reactor. The first unconventional one ever one delivering (what did you suggest?) GW of power. Certification for anything nuclear is extraordinarily difficult, even proven designs.

Since no-one currently understands how LENR works there is no way to be sure it is safe. It is clearly manipulating nuclei and Rossi is not exactly good at letting people measure his stuff. Remember, the well-,measured devices have all not been working for one reason or another.

The very high energy density and the fact that high energy particles are toxic in themselves and (neutrons) create difficult to dispose of radionuclides mean that anything nuclear is very carefully inspected for safety (actually more so than I personally think is needed).

I suggested above that the SK/QX/anything from Rossi would fail this.

You seem not to have much imagination over how a novel nuclear device would be dangerous. Under unusual conditions it could generate high energy neutrons which are a big no-no especially when not expected (Rossi does not expect these since no lead shielding). It could create other high energy toxic particles. It could lead to toxic waste.

You perhaps hope that a working LENR device would not do any of these things. But you, and safety authorities, cannot know this. In fcat no-one can know this since working high power LENR devices do not currrently exist, and no theory predicts how they work. Neither experiment nor theory confers safety.

Why has this not been a problem for Rossi so far? Easy. No-one believes he has a working nuclear device. And Rossi states this to authorities when they come round.

Should his devices be seen to work, with energy density obviously beyond anything non-nuclear, that belief would quickly change and the Nuclear safety guys will no longer be dismissable by Rossi saying he has no nuclear devices.

• I don't expect with a high degree of certainty that Rossi's technology (considering it as a whole and not singling out certain tests that people like to debate about for centuries) works because I worship or have religious faith in Andrea Rossi. As time has passed, I've realized that despite some very strong favorable traits, he can also be sneaky, devious, cranky, and misleading. Due mainly to how the whole Doral fiasco gave the entire LENR field a black eye, I have a lot of frustration against him: not saying that I'm happy about the behavior of the other parties that were involved either. The whole arrangement was insanity on both sides, IMO. But the reason I believe the technology works has nothing to do with Rossi says. I'm now convinced that one of the main LENR mechanisms (there may be more than one) is the production of sphermak like plasmoids that are capable of inducing a range of nuclear reactions that vary depending upon the elemental composition of the fuel used. If you study a range of claimed exotic energy systems created and tested over the past thirty, forty, or even fifty years, at the root they all seem to involve the creation of plasmoid structures. Now, there are countless ways of producing them: fracture of hydrogen embrittled metal lattices, the collapse of cavitation bubbles with a proper internal atmosphere, powerful electrical discharges through various mediums including gas and water, and several others. There are many ways to produce these nuclear wood chippers that grind up various elements, transmute them, and spit out emissions of particles and photons. But these systems are all linked at the core. I see how the production of spheromaks (from the nano-scale and up) were at play in Pons and Fleishman's systems, Piantelli and Focardi's devices, those of Randall Mills thermocore experiments, and every variation of the E-Cat from the "low temperature" reactors to the Quark SK.

I'm certain that Me356 "gets" this too. Unlike my desire to share the concepts to the best of my ability, however, me356 recognizes the immense potential and cringes in a corner while considering the safety implications. My words mean diddly squat on here because I'm not a builder or replicator. However, his previous experiments gives him a certain status that makes people listen and take his words with more seriousness. I sure wish he'd come forward and provide his view of the plasmoid/spheromak/evo paradigm because a few people might listen and start putting the pieces together.

• First some points about certification.

To my knowledge, the government does no testing. They write laws that operations / equipment must be certified, spells out which certifications must be met and then the government polices or enforces those regulations.

The government does not do direct certification, but they do a lot of standing around and watching. That's what I was told by my late father, who worked at NIST. They do all kinds of testing at NIST! You name it, they test it. But as you say, not for certification per se. They establish standards.

I visited a NIST facility during ICCF-21. It was very impressive.

Generally speaking, a manufacturer is not allowed to test or certify its own product. It has to pay an independent company to do that. Automobile crash testing is not done by car companies, but by independent corporations, such as:

https://www.calspan.com/servic…utomotive-safety-testing/

UL is not a government agency. UL is a for profit company (since 2012). They are a registered certification company that tests products to given standards. They do not themselves develop those standards in most instances, but simply follow the testing protocols set forth by standards using their own equipment and personnel.

UL is "Underwriter's Laboratory." An underwriter is an insurance company. They mainly certify consumer products, I believe. You don't have to get UL certification, but if you don't get it, UL members will not insure the product. UL members include every insurance company, as far as I know, so you will not be able to insure it, and no retail or wholesale company will sell it. It is a de facto requirement, not a law.

Could it be certified to a gas burner? No, there is no gas. How about electric? No, because the heating element is not primarily electric. There is no standard set. So UL could not certify it. (Nor SGS)

Exactly right. See, for example, these procedures, which call for a "Combustion analyzer (for testing combustion efficiency or O2 trim controls):"

http://www.ftguide.org/ftg/Sys…l_Testing_for_Boilers.htm

Or these procedures, which include inspecting the combustion chamber:

• Cool and clean furnace and combustion chambers
    • Remove grates from internally fired boilers
    • Remove brickwork insulation to determine the condition of the boiler, headers, furnace, supports, and other parts

https://www.mpofcinci.com/blog…er-inspection-procedures/

There will have be some equivalent procedures that ensure the Rossi reaction is occurring correctly with no unexpected radiation. Rossi himself claimed that in some cases it goes out of control and that it produces radiation. If he was telling the truth (which I doubt) an inspection will have to confirm the boiler does not have these problems.

• Adrian: please pay attention

I would be more likely to do so if you could get the facts straight in your head and write them concisely.

THH "Safety is not about knowing a specific issue will happen. It is about being sure no issue will happen"

Really? If you can't see what is a potential danger haw can you possibly address it?. What waffle.

One can never be absolutely sure without running the equipment to see if you have missed anything. That is what a manufacturer before putting something on the market. Hooking up individual pieces of equipment in the field is normal practice.

If the SK plant produces steam just above atmospheric pressure and there is not a large amount of water and it has a proper over pressure escape valve, the risk is nominal. I'm not sure that such a plant would even be classified as a boiler. Use in industry is different from domestic and Rossi has a piece of paper saying it is safe for industrial use. I'm sure someone will write pages about that.

Rossi says he has an investor with enough money to pay for the manufacturing plant. Why do you assume everyone connected with the SK are idiots? You should recognize that if they build and install an SK plant they have done something quite remarkable. That they know a great deal more about it than an armchair critic like you.

• Really? If you can't see what is a potential danger haw can you possibly address it?

1. Rossi says there is danger! He claims the reaction has gone out of control, and that it has produced radiation. Why do you believe everything else Rossi says, but not this?

Again, if you do not think this is a nuclear reaction, what do you think it could be? And how do you know this mystery reaction cannot cause harm?

2. You can always test for non-specific danger. For example, you expose rats and others species to the reactor and see if they get sick or die. You put radiation detectors in place. Or you deliberately run the reactor at high power with the first level of safety devices disabled, so that it overheats. This is similar to automobile crash testing.

Use in industry is different from domestic and Rossi has a piece of paper saying it is safe for industrial use.

Does he now! Have you seen it? Who wrote it? What agency certified it?

Why do you believe him when he says he has this paper, yet you do not believe him when he says his reactors go out of control and they are dangerous? Your faith in him is selective.

For that matter, why do you believe him when he said he had a customer, yet you do not believe him when he admitted that he himself was that customer, with a dummy corporation with no employees and no business conducted, or any income?

• 1. Rossi says there is danger! He claims the reaction has gone out of control, and that it has produced radiation. Why do you believe everything else Rossi says, but not this?

That was with a much earlier design. I'm surprised you haven't come up with another regulation that doesn't apply, to prove your point.

See my last reply to you on the previous page.

• None of those regulations currently apply to commercial premises of a non-public nature (not a hotel restaurant etc). All you have to do in the UK is carry out a risk assessment. All by yourself if you choose to do so.

Alan,

I cannot state with certainty about UK law, but I can US. I also think you might be mistaken about "commercial premises". In the US, if people, even if employees are exposed or around equipment, the regulations are in total effect. One cannot say "I am a commercial company, so I do not have to meet boiler certifications". OSHA is in full effect. I find it hard to believe that in the UK a company can do this. If people are exposed, the standards are in effect.

A company may isolate a piece of equipment and not allow humans near it without protocols of shutting it down or other safety precautions. But to simply state "none of those regulations apply to commercial premises" is almost certainly in error or misunderstood. It being "commercial" has little to do with it. Human safety and exposure has everything to do with it. Does not the UK have an OSHA equivalent? "Occupational Safety Health Administration". Wait.... it does! It is the HEA.. Health and Safety Executive. While I cannot state with certainty, it probably is very much like OSHA in the US.

Of course, just like Doral, Rossi CAN do anything he wants. But that does not make it legal, safe or even moral. Rossi did not have certifications nor regulatory approval for Doral. (Even though he said he did, a lie as usual with him) He did not have production either, nor a working reactor. However, even if he was producing 200KW of heat, the such as from the electrical bill, I am positive he was breaking the law as long as any humans were allowed in the area of the so called reactor.

This appears to be another one of your subtle "thumbs up" to Rossi. Please state clearly your thoughts, such as "yes, I believe Rossi could certainly put his eCat, LENR powered, 40 MW reactor in service without any certifications or trouble from regulatory bodies and that lends credence to his many claims."

Otherwise what is your point above?

I do challenge that you can have employees in a building and expose them to a non-certified, non-rated piece of equipment that supposedly produces 1, 10 or 40MW of power, from an unknown energy source, from an uncertified reactor, even if it is a "commercial" facility. I KNOW in the US you cannot. I doubt you can in the UK. I really doubt any legitimate company would ever do it in either location.

So again, giving support to this issue a subtle support to Rossi?

• That [danger] was with a much earlier design.

Rossi claimed the Doral system was in danger of going out of control. That can't be true, because that system produced no heat according to Rossi's own report. But suppose, for the sake of argument, it did produce heat. Rossi claimed many times that it was out of control, and dangerous. Why do you think his present systems are not dangerous? Has he told you they are not? If he told you, is that the only evidence you have: RossiSays?

You should realize that safety regulators and the people who write safety standards at the ASME will not simply take Rossi's word for it. That is not how they work. They will demand years of extensive testing costing hundreds of millions of dollars. Rossi does not have that kind of money. I doubt he has any investors, but if he does, I doubt they have that kind of money. No factory, company, apartment, school, or any other organization in the U.S., Europe, Japan or any other first-world county will install equipment that is not certified and inspected. People would go to prison for doing that. It is completely out of the question. So there is no chance he will be installing megawatt scale equipment anywhere in the first world, anytime soon.

Also, as I noted, if his claims are true, this is either a nuclear reaction or something unknown to science. You refuse to say what you think it is, but Rossi says it is nuclear. As I noted, the NRL is not going to stand aside and do nothing if they discover this thing really does produce megawatts of heat from a nuclear reaction. See:

Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

Again, your faith in him is selective. You believe him when he says he has heat, but you don't believe him when he says it is nuclear, and you yourself refuse to say what you think it might be. This is intellectually dishonest, to say the least.

This is reality. This is not your pretend world where regulators and boiler inspectors will stand aside if you tell them "I'm an engineer and I assure you there is no danger." That never happens here on planet earth. Everything you have described about Rossi is a preposterous fantasy, as anyone who can read the boiler inspection laws will see.

• Alan,

I cannot state with certainty about UK law, but I can US. I also think you might be mistaken about "commercial premises". In the US, if people, even if employees are exposed or around equipment, the regulations are in total effect.

I thought Alan was referring to the U.K. furniture safety laws that I cited.

Anyway, I am 100% certain that in the U.S., the U.K. and the rest of first world there are no exceptions granted for boiler safety laws. Absolutely none. You cannot operate a boiler -- or anything else -- in the middle of the Mojave Desert a hundred miles from the nearest person, unless it is certified for safe operation. Okay, people do that sort of thing. There is a photo of some guy who made his own hydrogen powered automobile. It exploded and destroyed his house. He was in violation of various laws.

There are exceptions for experimental devices that go boom. Uncle Sam -- who makes the rules -- is allowed to test unsafe devices in the desert. Ed Storms tested some large nuclear powered rockets that blew sky high. A NASA Antares rocket exploded recently. The SpaceX Falcon rocket tried to land on a barge and exploded. Perhaps Boeing and other companies are allowed to test large gadgets that go boom, in appropriate places. But there is absolutely, positively, no way you could install an non-certified 40-MW nuclear reactor in a populated area without certification and safety testing. Or worse, a 40-MW device that produces heat from a totally unknown source. Even if Adrian Ashfield assures the authorities it isn't nuclear, they are going to want to know what it is, in that case. "Don't worry, be happy" will not satisfy them. The NRC will not say: "Adrian and Axil say it isn't nuclear? Oh. Okay. Fine with us. Not our problem. Carry on."

If someone did install and operate something like that, once the authorities found out, everyone involved would be arrested, and it would be front-page news worldwide. I will grant, that would be one way to convince people it is real. Sort of like the Twilight Zone cold fusion episode, "Final Exam."

• That was with a much earlier design. I'm surprised you haven't come up with another regulation that doesn't apply, to prove your point.

See my last reply to you on the previous page.

But all of his designs work with the same fundamental mechanism - spheromak production. If his earlier systems can sometimes run out of control and produce unwanted radiation, the Quark can do so as well. The issue is not "if" a Quark could produce unwanted radiation (which would also depend upon the fuel used) but the degree of risk present. I think it's clear that the degree of risk is very minimal. There are individuals who would love for safety regulators to close down Rossi all together not because they are really scared of a nuclear incident but because they hate him. I think that the best route to take is to admit that there could be some risk, but compared to even traditional devices (such as gas tanks) they are minimal.

• It is curious that when discussing a device whose every aspect is secret and about which we know nothing other than vague claims of wondrous properties by its inventor, several of our local characters can state confidently that the device poses minimal risks. While one might naively think that this sort of thing might not fly with regulatory agencies, one is surely forgetting that at least according to "Director", the device operates using sphermak-like plasmoids. That should be sufficient to quell any concerns, I imagine.

• I think that the best route to take is to admit that there could be some risk, but compared to even traditional devices (such as gas tanks) they are minimal.

Minimal or maximal, admit it or deny it, the authorities will not allow this until is is proven safe. You don't get product certification because you "admit" something, or because you have an attitude, or an opinion. Or because some anonymous person named "Axil" or "Director" on the Internet has a theory. It doesn't work that way. An independent testing agency and or a company has to do extensive testing, including stress testing and test-to-failure (similar to crash testing). You have to have thousand of hours and thousand of pages of test results. The ASME has to write large books full of specifications and tables which boiler inspectors and others must then use as a guide. I say they must. That's not a choice. It is not an option. If inspectors don't do that, they will lose their license at least, and possibly end up in prison. They are not going to look at a reactor and say: "well, this is not covered by any regs in my book; there are no procedures to ensure safety, so I guess you can operate it all you like. You don't need a certificate." That's actually the opposite of what any sane inspector would say.

This is the 21st century, not 1650. You can't just go around operating potentially dangerous untested machines in populated areas. Actually, you couldn't do that in 1650 in London either -- they had laws regulating boilers back then. You sure as heck could not do it anytime after the ASME was established in 1880, when state governments started writing ASME specifications into regulations. Such as:

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/D…tWEBEffective04102016.pdf

"Where are the boiler Administrative Rules (regulations)?

In 1989, rules were written and adopted to regulate boilers in the state. The Boiler Safety Rules are found under Chapter 69A-51, Florida Administrative Code. They include definitions, codes adopted, administration, requirements for new and existing installations, among other topics. The ASME Heating and Power Boiler Codes, ASME CSD-1 (Controls for Automatically Fired Boilers), and the National Boiler and Inspection Codes have all been adopted under this rule."

(This was not first done in 1989. That was the date this law was revised.)

That is the sort of thing the regulations say, in every state, in every country on earth. It has been that way for over a century, and it not going to change because Rossi or A.A. says, "we don't have to follow any laws we disagree with." Try driving at 90 mph on the highway and see if the police let you off because you don't agree with the traffic laws. Try telling them: "I'm an engineer, and I am sure this is safe."

• In the same time period that Nikola Tesla was wiring up the world with alternating current, Thomas Edison was frying elephants with alternating current to prove to the world that it was incredibly dangerous. Somehow, Nikola Tesla managed to change the world and we all use AC today regardless of Thomas Edison's attempts.

https://www.wired.com/2008/01/dayintech-0104/

I don't think that the Quark will need the excessive regulation you suggest. If you do, I'd suggest you go back in time and get a job for Edison: you could have the satisfaction of slowing mankind's progress considerably. We need to rail against excessive regulation of radical new technologies instead of pushing for exhaustive safety testing. The truth is that our world is headed towards a collapse and if we don't take some small risks the few of us who survive will be hunting and gathering again for another thousand years.

• Today Rossi says his partner will be on the industrial side. That he will be working with ABB.

After several years of successful sale of heat, Rossi says he would consider selling units. He has always said that he meant to sell very cheaply discourage competition. With the experience of a couple of years he should be able to do that.

"- as far as I know, no, because we do not treat radioactive materials and we do not emit ionizing radiations. In Florida we have been permitted to make our tests for these reasons. In Sweden we obtained analogous permission."

• The QX and SK reactors are different, They work with a plasma rather than solid fuel in a cylinder.

I think spheromaks are directly related to excess heat production in solid fuel in a cylinder.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

First, a highly loaded metal lattice can become embrittled, allow for charge separation, and produce EVOs (spheromaks) that could bounce around cracks or inside of pits.

Secondly, Andrea Rossi frequently utilized various methods of producing plasma inside of his reactors including RF generators in some of the low temperature reactors, three phase high voltage going through his coils in some of his hot cats, and I suspect direct electrical dischage through his fuel.

Basically, regardless how they are created, these spheromaks do approximately the same thing. I would suggest that sometimes they may produce nuclear reactions directly in a metal lattice but may stimulate other processes. There are theories that electrons and gamma rays can induce LENR. Spheromaks are well known to produce copious amounts of electrons and xrays and gammas.

• Director

If Jed had had a say in the matter AC would never have got off the ground. Where were the regulations? He would also have insisted that the new electric light bulb be tested with lots of rats for a year, to prove it didn't give off dangerous radiation.:)

Edit added.

Then as the box was so small half the rats got cooked and died. Obviously dangerous. So we would have to wait for fluorescent tubes that didn't cook rats.

And the candle companies rejoiced at another success.

• Official Post

I cannot state with certainty about UK law, but I can US. I also think you might be mistaken about "commercial premises".

Bob, you are being a dick. The discussion as far as I was concerned was about the quoted Fire Regs, and furniture construction, something I know a very great deal about, since I was asked to draft the UK green paper (pre legislative discussion document) on it back in 1985. Nothing to do with Rossi at all as you certainly know, since he isn't in the furniture business, doesn't as far as I know run a hotel, and currently resides in the USA.

• Although I hate Wikipedia, they have a good article on the war of the currents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…_currents#Safety_concerns

Edison did his best to force AC to appear dangerous. Moreover, he worked to try and push for severe restrictions on AC. Just like reefer madness demonized marijuana, he tried to attack AC by electrocuting animals, designing an electric chair, etc. Also, he pushed for cities to regulate AC so that it could not compete with DC.

I expect that a variety of companies (both dirty fossil fuel companies and so called renewable energy sources such as solar) to try and demonize LENR and the entire usage of spheromak based devices. They will say they are dangerous and must be highly regulated. I even expect them to take a Quark like device, turn it up to high, place a rat next to it for a year, and show how he gets cancer. It will be just like the marijuana commercials on television that showed the damaged brains of monkeys that were forced to breathe marijuana. What they are not telling you is that those monkey's were forced to wear masks that deprived them of oxygen. Now we know that marijuana is NOT a killer of brain cells and in some cases THC and CBD can protect brain cells.

We live in a sick, risk adverse society that would rather see society collapse than a few people get hurt -- even though a few, or even many, people get hurt from ordinary technologies every single year. How many electrical house fires happen? How many people burn themselves with their stoves?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.