Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• The plan was simply to collect all the steam and condense it ("sparge" it) into an insulated and instrumented water tank to measure its energy content. Voila, problem solved.

Yes. It was intensely annoying to me that Rossi did not do this, or anything else that I and others suggested.

Here is another example of his pointless obstinacy. He did not bother to insert an SD card into an hand-held thermocouple. Lewan had to record the temperatures with a pen and paper. Rossi's refusal to take common sense steps went from absurdity to outright danger, such as the time he was demonstrating to the people from NASA. They said: "It looks like the reactor is plugged up. Nothing is coming out." He refused to check, nearly causing an explosion. Finally, someone pulled out the hose, showed there was nothing coming out, and everyone including Rossi fled the room.

Running a silly kludge of 50 pieces of junk in a shipping container? Absurd from the start. Why IH ever agreed to that will always be a mystery to me.

I do not think they agreed to it, exactly. Based on the lawsuit documents, I think this test began after many other tests in North Carolina failed. I believe the earlier tests were with a simpler configuration. This was a last ditch effort. I do not think they had much hope for it.

I did not read that portion of the lawsuit testimony carefully, but I believe that's how it went down.

• His demonstrations attract bright and able academics. He is scorned and scoffed at. His name is Andrea Rossi. That is all you need to know.

Nope. All you need to know is in the Penon report. The rest is bullshit, including what you just wrote.

This is engineering, not some kind of faith-based religion. (Okay, that's unfair to religion, but I don't know what else to compare your homage to.)

Here is another example of his pointless obstinacy.

Oh wait! His obstinacy was hardly pointless. It was an integral part of his scam. Without it, his lies would have quickly been uncovered and he would have gotten neither and IH contract nor Miami condos.

• Oh wait! His obstinacy was hardly pointless. It was an integral part of his scam.

Perhaps, but in the case of the SD card in the thermocouple unit, it seemed pointless. Lewan got the temperature data anyway. It just meant extra work for him having to write down the time and temperature periodically. It was a little extra work for me, too. I found that one of Lewan's numbers was transposed, and I had to set up the graph with variable time segments on the x-axis, which I can never remember how to do.

If Rossi had managed to hide data or produce bogus data by refusing to insert an SD card, you would be right. This would part of his scam. But this particular refusal was just sloppy. It was typical of him. It was annoying, and inconsiderate. But it did not hide anything or confuse the issue.

I agree 100% that many of his other actions did deliberately confuse the issue! I told him so, many times. In this group of people, I was among the first to hear of him, and the first to communicate with him. One of my first message to him was: "If you will not let me measure the temperature and flow rates, I will not visit you. If you don't allow anyone to do this, you will have no credibility." You were not the first to say this.

You quote me selectively and out of context to make it look as if I was an unqualified supporter of Rossi all along, but the first thing I said to him and reported to the public cast doubt on his claims.

I do not think they agreed to it, exactly. Based on the lawsuit documents, I think this test began after many other tests in North Carolina failed. I believe the earlier tests were with a simpler configuration. This was a last ditch effort. I do not think they had much hope for it.

I did not read that portion of the lawsuit testimony carefully, but I believe that's how it went down.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I believe this is a very important point that so many of Rossi's supporters either do not understand or more likely, simply do not want to admit.....conveniently forgetting!:/

The Doral event WAS NOT A TEST! Period! The court documents clearly show the time for testing had long lapsed.

ROSSI HIMSELF drew up a contract for the "Sale of Heat" for $1000 per day. ROSSI SIGNED this contract. ROSSI presented the customer of this "Sale of Heat" as a completely independent customer, with engineers, a facility, product and PAST HISTORY OF PRODUCTION. All this was lies and deceit. There was NO TEST. Period.

Mary really should not throw mud at IH for "Agreeing to a test". IH did not. They signed a contract that ROSSI wrote that would pay them $30,0000 per month! Why would they NOT consider this deal!

IH would would have received $360,000 from the use of THIER PLANT. They owned it, not Rossi!

(Now paying Rossi the $10 million based upon the first test, you might question! That I grant you.)

All the Rossi supporters need to REALLY deal with this subject. ROSSI LIED and LIED OFTEN and LIED on major matters. Rossi filed the lawsuit and lost. IH defended themselves and won. They did not file the suit and they did not lose the lawsuit. They did not pay a penny of the claimed damages. They DID lose much money defending themselves from Rossi's farce. Should they have risked further costs in trying to reclaim money back from him? He invested all his money in condos (not his eCat... hmmmm) that was protected from the counter suit. He had no real money for IH to go after. Yet the Rossi faithful still spin the story that the lawsuit was IH's and Rossi won! No. Rossi lost. Period. He did not get one item from his filed lawsuit and I challenge anyone to show me the documents of where he filed for certain items and received them.

Some will say he got his IP back. That was NOT part of the lawsuit, but part of the settlement. Here is the settlement.... IH gave Rossi his worthless IP back so they could stop spending millions on legal fees defending themselves from Rossi's farce. Rossi got zero dollars and zero use from his IP. Remember... he has trashed the 1MW eCat and is now pursuing the QuarkX. A completely different animal. So even Rossi thought the IP worthless! Ha! Can you imagine! And yet the faithful state Rossi won! Won what?

But the faithful pay homage to their god. He can do NO wrong in their sight. Any lies and deceit are simply justified by the evil machinations of others! Truly sad.

• Patent that had been previously granted of Italian inventor Francesco Piantelli has now been revoked after opposition from Andrea Rossi’s Leonardo Corporation with argument that "Piantelli's patent does not disclose the invention in a manner sufficiently clear and complete for it to be carried out by a person skilled in the art". As if some of of Rossi patents could be replicated with using of information given... :-\ It will be interesting to see his issued patents can stand up to disclosure requirements.

Ironically prof. Piantelli was undoubtedly first, who did start with nickel-hydrogen fusion in 1992. Rossi just did steal his know-how after borrowing his coworker Focardi. I can understand easily, why so many members of cold fusion community (like Krivit or Rothwell) got so upset with Rossi and his "re-search".

Not to say, that A. Rossi did never show something really convincing for public.

Andrea Rossi has promised multiple-times, that "he will not get engaged in patent wars", as he planed to beat the competition with "*cheap plentiful production from robotized factories*". No robotized plant indeed ever existed and Rossi just wants to get rid of competition in the same way like every 2nd grade patent troll (he has in his own words over 140 patent applications submitted). Which I consider problematic just at the case of Piantelli, as I have multiple reasons to believe, he is actual founder of nickel fusion technology, not Andrea Rossi.

But Andrea Rossi actually agrees with Musk who thinks intellectual property and patents are vital for technology companies. “To give away for free the Intellectual Property of a technology is a mistake that takes away from the real business that technology, because nobody invests seriously in a technology if there is not the right of the ownership of the connected IP,” Rossi wrote finally at his blog. One thing, Rossi seems to forget is that once companies become obsessed with the patents, the focus of the process turns to the legal process not the technology or the business.

• Official Post

Can't say I have much sympathy for Piantelli. He has claimed to have reactors running months on end with no input power. All he has to do is show proof of that to the patent office, and they would likely reinstate his patent. You can say the same for Rossi, as they told him that in one of his denial's. Makes sense, and were I a patent clerk, that would be the simplest, and surest means for an applicant to show me the thing had novelty. Especially so LENR, with it's checkered, and stigmatized history.

Instead all these applicants looking to make a $, hold on to their dearest secrets, and take them to the grave. Piantelli may well do exactly that, as he is well into his 80's. In his shoes, I would say to hell with the chance of riches as I am too old now to enjoy them, so let humanity have it. Then take my research to the nearest Siemens/Airbus facility, work out a deal for my family if they successfully comercialize it, and get on with the remainder of my life.

• Ironically prof. Piantelli was undoubtedly first, who did start with nickel-hydrogen fusion in 1992. Rossi just did steal his know-how after borrowing his coworker Focardi. I can understand easily, why so many members of cold fusion community (like Krivit or Rothwell) got so upset with Rossi and his "re-search".

Like a true pathoskeptic you ignore inconvenient facts.

a. Rossi approached Focardi asking if his reactor was worth pursuing.

b. After testing, Focardi said it was.

c.. Focardi said he didn't know what catalyst Rossi was using to make it work.

d. You have no idea of when Rossi invented his device.

• If IH had all this allegedly damning evidence why did they agree to the settlement?

We had a (real) lawyer on here who, looking at the complexity and technical nature of the evidence, and the fact that each side was calling the other a liar, reckoned with a Jury trial there was quite a probability they would split the difference, and not award IH complete victory. Given the costs and continuing distraction of a Trial he thought IH would be bound to accept a settlement, which it seems Rossi only offered when up close to having his own evidence (which looked close to perjury) cross-examined.

Lest you accuse me of making groundless comments here is a very brief summary of the damning facts, posted here in much more details previously. That heat exchanger, as you'd perhaps know if you bothered to look at the math, posted here, could not work as claimed by Rossi's tame expert. Further said US (non Italian) tame expert gave as reference for the crucial and incorrect part of the work an Italian language website that does not in fact have the crucial coefficient (though it has a whole load of other related coefficients). Highly unprofessional to have your argument resting on a web page in a foreign language which either was never as you claim, or changed. looking at the web page details, it likely was never as claimed. Like much of Rossi's stuff it is superficially good, and when examined closely highly suspicious. But, the full technical argument about this would go way over the head of a Jury, and IH did the correct thing, much as it was a PR disaster. But then, unlike Rossi, PR is not the only, or even main, thing IH care about.

• Yes, it is quite instructing to notice that Rossi settled when - IF he had what he said- could have gotten 89M and possibly 2 times that if he did not settle and won.

Instead of trying to read into IH's settlement, why not read into Rossi's settlement and why he destroyed any evidence after the trial and threw computers out the windows into the parking lot.

• JedRothwell

You quote me selectively and out of context

From you, that is simply hilarious!

One of my first message to him was: "If you will not let me measure the temperature and flow rates, I will not visit you. If you don't allow anyone to do this, you will have no credibility." You were not the first to say this.

You quote me selectively and out of context to make it look as if I was an unqualified supporter of Rossi all along, but the first thing I said to him and reported to the public cast doubt on his claims.

Well, obviously I can't track back everything you said but IMO you wrote considerably more to enhance Rossi's credibility than to cast doubt on it. For example. compare your writing and actions about Rossi in 2011 to those of Krivit. Krivit went to Italy *wanting* to believe Rossi. As soon as Rossi tried on Krivit the same tactics he used on you and everyone else, Krivit was able to discern that Rossi was lying and evading. Then, Krivit interviewed Levi and got another unlikely and evasive story which he documented in Youtube videos. Finally, Krivit, who is fluent in Italian, discovered Rossi's long criminal history and some of the information about the thermoelectric scam on DOD which Rossi had perpetrated. All this became public yet your position on Rossi continued to be at best equivocal and in many ways supportive. You argued vociferously with me at the time and with others on the Vortex email list such as "Cude" and most of your arguments favored the possibility that Rossi really had found and shown an exothermic nickel-hydrogen reaction.

Maybe you just like to argue and if someone says Rossi is an obvious crook and his experiments are bogus for this and that reason, you will say something like "But look at this experiment which makes his case on first principles." And of course, the experiment in question really was bogus and fairly obviously so after the dust settled, the photos were examined, and a discussion had been conducted.

• @Adrian Ashfield

Focardi was bamboozled like all the early ecat observers. The most probable method Rossi used was simply to locate his outlet temperature thermocouple near the two giant heaters he had in and on the device, the outer of which, we have to remember, could ONLY HEAT THE COOLANT WATER because the cooling jacket was between the heater and the "reactor"! That issue was raised many times early on and never answered properly by Rossi or anyone else. Apparently, Focaardi was so desirous and so impaired by his illness that he never insisted on calibrating the device with a known blank and electric heat, something he could and should have performed himself, on a black box device, without participation by Rossi. In any case, Rossi fooled a sick and well intentioned elderly gentleman. Some accomplishment!

BTW, Adrian, any idea why Rossi decided to add a large band heater to the OUTSIDE of the original ecats where this heater could only heat what was supposed to be coolant for what Rossi claimed was an extremely (COP>6) exothermic. "dry steam generating" reaction?

he [Rossi] destroyed any evidence after the trial and threw computers out the windows into the parking lot.

We know that? How? There was so much fecal matter flying around just before the trial failed to start that I must have missed it. Don't bother if it's hard to find again. Those transcripts are soporific!

• Lest you accuse me of making groundless comments here

Yes, that is exactly what you did. A list of IH talking points. No specifics/references and ignoring Rossi's responses to the statements. As it never went through court there is no proof one way or the other. Doesn't it strike you as strange that ROSSI would take the matter to court knowing that the truth should then come out?

• A countryman happen’d in a hard winter to spy a snake under a hedg, that was half frozen to death. The man was good natur’d, and took it up, and kept it in his bosom, till warmth brought it to life again; and so soon as ever it was in condition to do mischief, it bit the very man that sav’d the life on’t. Ah thou ungrateful wretch! says he, is that venomous ill nature of thine to be satisfi’d with nothing less than the ruine of thy preserver.

Moral:

There are some men like some snakes; ’tis natural to them to be doing mischief; and the greater the benefit on the one side, the more implacable is the malice on the other.

• BTW, Adrian, any idea why Rossi decided to add a large band heater to the OUTSIDE of the original ecats where this heater could only heat what was supposed to be coolant for what Rossi claimed was an extremely (COP>6) exothermic. "dry steam generating" reaction?

Possibly the excitation was electromagnetic pulses rather than just heat. Possibly Rossi's description of the device was deliberately misleading. I don't remember ever seeing the inside of the reactor.

• Yes, that is exactly what you did. A list of IH talking points. No specifics/references and ignoring Rossi's responses to the statements. As it never went through court there is no proof one way or the other. Doesn't it strike you as strange that ROSSI would take the matter to court knowing that the truth should then come out?

Specific references please?

Easy to accuse me of doing this 6 months ago when everyone has forgotten the strength of the arguments...

Whereas my last post referred to tediously long tech stuff that I've posted, and would post more only I don't think anyone would be interested.

:)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.