Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• And how would officials know, a nuclear reaction is happening?

I suppose they would transport the reactor to the White Sands Missile Range and apply every known diagnostic instrument to determine whether a nuclear reaction is occuring, and what sort of reaction it is.

But you miss the point. You really miss the point! Suppose there is no evidence that a nuclear reaction is occuring. In that case, the energy is appearing out of nowhere, apparently in violation of the conservation of energy. That is totally inexplicable. For all anyone knows, the unknown conditions that cause energy generation might suddenly change and allow, say, 5 orders of magnitude more energy production. Kaboom! Since cold fusion reactors have exploded, and since they have no chemical fuel in them, this cannot be ruled out.

Once many experts think they understand where the energy is coming from, and once they can assure the public the energy level will not suddenly increase to catastrophic levels, then it will be safe to use the machines.

Again, I do not think Rossi's large machines produce any excess energy. I base that on Rossi's own report and his testimony in the lawsuit. However, if they do produce energy, we cannot depend on Rossi, and Rossi alone, to assure the machines are safe.

• Official Post

Rossi may very well be his own client. However, I think there is a possibility that he may have a small and private client (not a large business or corporation) that could have an open minded owner that is allowing him to provide space heating.

Good point. Everyone forgets this, but Rossi had a friend from the old country (Giovanni?) who he claimed was the owner of JM Products at Doral. Or at least that is what he said, as I never saw a record of that in the court documents.

• But seriously, is there anything legal aspect that would prevent a "customer" to do that?

Yes. It is strictly against the law to operate large heaters of any type without safety certifications and inspections. Since there is not yet a set of procedures to certify this type of reactor, regulatory agencies will have to test it, write the procedures, and issue them, before it cannot be used. The regulations for all types of heaters, engines, and other heavy equipment are comprehensive. They are dozens of pages long, or hundreds of pages long. Until we have similar regulations for this reactor, no one can use it for any purpose.

• Please help me understand what Rossi's heating machine (if it exists) has to do with airplanes.

Airplanes are large, dangerous machines that are strictly regulated and inspected. If you use one incorrectly, you will kill yourself and people in the neighborhood. My office happens to be on the airstrip at Georgia's second largest airport, PDK. There is a large, frighteningly realistic flight simulator across the hall from me approved for FAA training. I am looking at airplanes parked and taxiing outside my window, and I talk to many pilots. As they say, there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots. So I know something about aircraft safety. Despite all the inspections, small airplanes are more dangerous than you might think. Since I moved here, there have been about 5 crashes, including one on I-285 (Atlanta's busiest highway), one in front of thousands of people, and two of near my house. In one case a large, 20-passenger jet airplane broke in two, but the passengers were okay. In the other accidents I recall, the passengers were broken into small pieces and incinerated. So, you need regulations and inspections for large, heavy, dangerous machines such as airplanes and megawatt-scale heaters.

Here is the accident in front of the crowd:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For that matter, you need regulations for small machines, such as the surgical blades and blood transfusion machines my grandfather invented in the 1920s and 30s. They can kill people too.

• Official Post

Despite all the inspections, small airplanes are more dangerous than you might think. Since I moved here, there have been about 5 crashes, including one on I-285 (Atlanta's busiest highway), one in front of thousands of people, and two of near my house.

I largely gave up General Aviation flying because of that. While I have lots of experience, others up there in their small planes usually do not. Most do not know how to fly instruments, or work in uncontrolled airspace, and think weight and balance (CG) is not something they have to worry about. Also, maintenance standards are lax compared to FAR 121 carriers. The less an airplane flies, the more likely it will have a mechanical issue, and that little Cessna probably gets airborne 1 or 2 x's/month, if that.

When someone tells me: "a buddy just got his/her private license, and he wants to take me up", I tell them DO NOT GO! There...I may have just saved a life or two. You are welcome. :)

• When someone tells me: "a buddy just got his/her private license, and he wants to take me up", I tell them DO NOT GO! There...I may have just saved a life or two.

The Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket Flying Club airplanes are just outside my widow. The oldest established, permanent floating, continuously-running collegiate flying club in the country! See their web site and the view from my window:

https://yjfc.org/

I am looking down at their aircraft. I don't see the ones with these IDs: N314GT, N271GT. I wonder what happened to them? The registration says yjfc still owns N314GT:

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N314GT

There are often students from Georgia Tech performing shade-tree mechanic maintenance on these aircraft. That is to say, groups of students with an instructor taking the airplanes apart and putting them together on the tarmac, not in a hanger. Including the engines. And then flying them off into the wild blue yonder. Granted, these are some of the smartest engineering students in the world. Georgia Tech is like MIT. You don't get in if you are not really good with machines, and you sure don't get out. But these are 18 to 22-year-old kids. I don't think I would want to ride in the back seat, even with the instructor up front.

At their website they explain they have a fleet of airplanes. In the photo marked FLEET it says: ". . . Not only do we offer them for rent to our members, but we'll teach you how to take care of them." Yeah.

https://yjfc.org/about/

• This is not my opinion. This is what experts & regulators in every government agency in the U.S.

You claim to be ab expert but youdon't agree with
    "the experts"?

You have obviously read nothing, so I suggest you refrain from offering opinions

You have had apparently little industrial experience while I have had a lifetime of it. But you claim I don't know anything.

You have also refused to read Rossi's own report on his 1 MW test in Doral Florida,

Yet another oft repeated LIE. I have read it and most of the court documents.

If government agencies are not qualified, they will have to learn how do do it. Do you seriously believe they will let Rossi sell this machine based only his own tests? With no independent verification? Do you think Uncle Sam would let Boeing fly passengers in an untested airplane, based only on Boeing's in-house testing?

How many years would it take the government to learn enough to regulate LENR?

The way things work in real life is that somebody invents something and builds it. If i becomes widespread the government later regulates it.

Do you suppose the Wright Bros had approval for their flying machine even though it was obviously dangerous?

You never answered the question of how many agencies you had contacted to save the world from this dangerous invention. You keep writing it might destroy America.

I am looking forward to your explanation after Rossi shows a working SK heating someone else;s factory on Jan 31, As you say it doesn't exist and would be impossible to get approval to use it

• Good point. Everyone forgets this, but Rossi had a friend from the old country (Giovanni?) who he claimed was the owner of JM Products at Doral. Or at least that is what he said, as I never saw a record of that in the court documents.

You are thinking of Francesco Di Giovanni who is the beneficiary of Platinum America Trust which, in turn, owns JM Products.

This is indeed in the court files. It is in the deposition given by Rossi on behalf of Leonardo Corp. Also, Abd UlRahman Lomax has a useful page devoted to the issue. http://coldfusioncommunity.net/the-owner-of-jm-products/

• How can you be a foolish customer if

you are purchasing heat for 20 percent less?

Sam,

It hasn’t happened, and of course it won’t.

Rossi will trot out some “sock puppet” who will say he is getting heat at a reduced rate, is saving among and is happy with the performance of the Ecat.

It’s like you actually believe it’s going to happen, to me, a lifetime engineer, this is simply ludicrous.

• Yet another oft repeated LIE. I have read it and most of the court documents.

Previously you said you have not read these documents. Which is it?

How many years would it take the government to learn enough to regulate LENR?

About as long as it will take scientists and industry to learn enough to produce safe reactors. However long it takes, that's how long we must wait. Society will not allow an untested and potentially dangerous technology that cannot be explained by any scientific theory.

• Previously you said you have not read these documents. Which is it?

About as long as it will take scientists and industry to learn enough to produce safe reactors. However long it takes, that's how long we must wait. Society will not allow an untested and potentially dangerous technology that cannot be explained by any scientific theory.

The thing with the safe reactors worked out nicely with fission ;)

• “But he has a customer who wants 40 MW”

“How many times are you going to repeat your unsubstantiated opinion?”

Adrian is the crown prince of irony.

I'm treading here a path which is liked by no-one but quite possibly true.

When Rossi makes claims like "I have a customer whom I'm working closely with" I think it likely there is some third party out there working with Rossi. I do believe he is doing something in addition to his incessant blogging. I disagree with all the inferences that people like AA make based on Rossi's statements, I also (mildly, because he is a known bare-faced liar) disagree that his statements about a customer are nothing. Such statements normally have some semblance of reality (as in Doral - where there was a customer - just they did not use much heat and they were Rossi himself.).

So it is entirely possible - though not in any way necessary - that Rossi has some sort of a relationship with some big company employee, or third party who claims in the future they might persuade a big company, and who as an "own time" project is willing to take a punt on Rossi's ideas. Especially if Rossi is funding things himself. That can, with Rossiesque transformation of hopes into stated reality, be written up as anything. What I find entertaining is Rossi's pricing policy. Clearly so minimally advantageous (20% under market rate, for an untested and variable source, paying for 100% usage even if usage is variable). Now if Rossi had what he said and were able to test it commercially he would need a different pricing policy, at least initially, to attarct any sane customer. As Jed says there are enormous regulatory hurdles here; the project could only proceed if wrapped in the semblance of conventional electricity supply. At 80% less than normal Rossi might claim that is all he is doing. And 80% is helpful in another way. With an efficient conventional plant Rossi would break even or perhaps make money on fuel costs, and he could view the plant cost as a loss-leader necessary to keep others (at least his devoted blog following) happy. Could he ever find such a customer? I do not know, human stupidity should never be underestimated. The type of double-checking we expect from a mjor company would apply were this a "real project". In the cases I suggest above any big company would have plausible (and perhaps actual) deniability. Rossi can say what he likes.

Rossi could do this, for example, by proposing to add some easily removed device to the output of an existing conventional plant. Rather like those scam automotive fuel additives. Such a plan could go a long way before anyone could prove it was not working. In fact while it is, to those with any skill in reading test data, obvious that the Doral data was not real, it is in principle impossible to prove the Doral plant did not work (a bit). That will always be true of any badly measured Rossi test. There has never been a properly measured Rossi test. Ever.

Ironically, also not possible to prove the last statement. In many of Rossi tests the insufficiency of the measurement is obvious (though with Lugano it took some time for that to emerge). in some tests, e.g. Ferrara, we cannot prove the test was poorly conducted, we can just extrapolate from all the other devious ways Rossi has achieved false positive results without being sure how in those two tests it was done. (I have some ideas, but no real evidence for them).

Devious ways? they are all things easily mistaken by somone incompetent technically. I say devious because even when they are pointed out to Rossi he continues wherever possible to use them...

I'm hoping for (but not expecting) some new and interesting mismeasurement in the upcoming test. the trouble is that Rossi seems to have become less inventive at these things, preferring just to limit test access or use manual power switching to get his effects.

Method Evidence Effect
    Average RMS single phase measurement Mats / Hydrofusion test. COP of 4 or more possible
    3 phase current clamp reversal Rossi: "It makes no difference because in AC reversing direction has no effect on power" Automatic x1/3 input power measurement, boosts any COP X3
    Wet steam Too much to summarise (the famous video one example) Any COP possible, based on how much the actual heating of the water is. 10 would be quite easily obtained
    IR mis-measurement The Lugano testers (Levi) used this, but the test method was forced by Rossi who provided an reactor testable in that way and claimed (wrongly) that direct measurement of temperature was not possible. The lack of controls etc was egregious but Rossi's involvement here is pretty clear: he was there showing the testers how to use his equipment and could generate teh (spurious) arguments in the report. he also advocated this method of measurement to IH who believed it for a long time. So Rossi has responsibility. Up to X5? depending on temperature. (I'm not sure about the max figure here).
    Incorrect electrical measurement.
    Given shunt resistance of R with voltage across it V measure input power as V^2/R (rather than (v*V'/R where v' is the unknown voltage across the circuit itself).
    Rossi/Gulstrom paper. Much perplexed discussion on ECW
    Anything possible.
    Assumption of Planck thermal equilibrium in light from flourescent tube Rossi's measurements in Gulstrom paper (you have to read carefully what he says about the assumed temperature, and compare that with the spectral measurement window of the equipment used: it does not cover much of the inferred output power which is only safe in the case of Planck curve distribution. Anything possible

• I largely gave up General Aviation flying because of that. While I have lots of experience, others up there in their small planes usually do not. Most do not know how to fly instruments, or work in uncontrolled airspace, and think weight and balance (CG) is not something they have to worry about. Also, maintenance standards are lax compared to FAR 121 carriers. The less an airplane flies, the more likely it will have a mechanical issue, and that little Cessna probably gets airborne 1 or 2 x's/month, if that.

When someone tells me: "a buddy just got his/her private license, and he wants to take me up", I tell them DO NOT GO! There...I may have just saved a life or two. You are welcome. :)

After watching a few episodes of the

program Mayday I might choose the

smaller plan.You can land them in a farmers field.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Interesting Crop Duster Video.

A veteran crop duster shows you how

to get it done.Flying under the power lines

and then up and over the trees.

External Content youtu.be

• Official Post

Now if Rossi had what he said and were able to test it commercially he would need a different pricing policy, at least initially, to attarct any sane customer. As Jed says there are enormous regulatory hurdles here; the project could only proceed if wrapped in the semblance of conventional electricity supply. At 80% less than normal Rossi might claim that is all he is doing. And 80% is helpful in another way. With an efficient conventional plant Rossi would break even or perhaps make money on fuel costs, and he could view the plant cost as a loss-leader necessary to keep others (at least his devoted blog following) happy. Could he ever find such a customer?

Problem with pretending it is conventional, is that Rossi has left a trail of radiation comments over the years. In the latest, he confessed to getting sick from the exposed Ecat reactor. Last night I read up on consumer products that produce ionizing radiations. They do exempt some products from onerous, crippling nuclear regulations, but from what I read, the Ecat would *not* meet the minimum requirements to be exempted. So as Jed said, if anyone reports him, and the "client" accepting the black box into their place of manufacture, they will be in big trouble..if the Ecats are what he claims they are.

With Fred Zoepfl, Dewey, Mary Yugo and Gary Wright tracking his every move, he will be reported, as he has been reported 4 x's already since 2012. The most recent this year. When inspected this time, his SK will be scanned for radiations outside the shielding, and after his comment about getting sick, they probably will ask the shielding be opened so they can check the bare reactor. Will it show anything?

Rossi knows all this, and must be anticipating, and planning for another visit, but he does not seem very worried about it. Just the opposite it seems, as lately he talks more freely of the radiations than ever before. What does he have up his sleeve...I sure do not know.

BTW, nice chart. That 1/3 power trick...although only speculative in explaining Ferrara; he tried to pull on SP after Hydrofusion had them check his Ecat. They caught him in the act though.

• Previously you said you have not read these documents

Show me the actual quotation. I have already corrected you several times but you keep on lying.

Apparently you don't understand the difference between a fission plant that uses radioactive materials capable of a chain reaction or achieving a critical mass that will cause and explosion, and a LENR plant that doesn't use radioactive materials and requires an external stimulation to keep going.

Stiles a as pathetic for someone claiming to be an expert. It also seems insane to get so excited about the dangers of a device you are certain does not exist.

• Adrian, as usual you don’t understand what people are saying. Nobody is actually worried about the dangers of the e-cat.

Well why does Jed keep writing about the need for regulation then?

To go on about that so often when you don't believe the SK exists is insane. Likewise to invent great potential dangers from such a tiny device is nuts. It must be NUCLEAR! .... GASP!

• THHuxleynew

3 phase current clamp reversal

This point has already been discarded by the Lugano team in the past.

See the following link

https://e-catworld.com/2014/11…-comments-mark-e-kitiman/

Also if only 1/3 of the power was measured due to the current clamp reversal, the actual power would have been much higher.

In that case the body surface temperature of the ECAT would have been much higher, even higher if you also assume inflated temperatures due to using wrong emissivities on the Optris.

And these much higher temperatures where not measured.

As can be seen from the last FEM simulation I did the temperatures are about in agreement with the measured power. see :

Rossi Lugano/early demo's revisited. (technical)

That Rossi says "It makes no difference because in AC reversing direction has no effect on power"

does not mean that he is right nor does it mean it happened.

So in my opinion this point can be deleted from your list.

In addition to this you write about the IR measurements : "he was there showing the testers how to use his equipment"

However the report states : "All the instruments used during the test are property of the authors of the present paper, and were calibrated in their respective manufacturers’ laboratories"

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.