Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• Actually, Fred Z is precisely the sort of person you need to address some theoretical claims for LENR. And he put Rossi in his place-- characterizing him as a borderline lunatic and low grade conman. As to all those people on the list, let me know when they make a replicable LENR reactor which can make 100W preferably without power input for prolonged periods but I'd settle for a decent power out to power in ration which for some bizarre reason LENR fanatics call COP.

Mary, there is so much fraud in the world where investors are being ripped to the tune of billions. Why are you wasting all your precious time on Rossi. You should have been down on Elizabeth Holmes who admits that Theranos' "Technology" Is a fraud: Restates, Voids Years Of Test Results. All those people whose blood tests were invalid exposing them to deadly health risks. Rossi is not killing people. For the sake of humanity, change your target. Aim your deadly guns on people that truly need to be destroyed. Employ your unique talents were it really counts. Rossi is just small potatoes.

which for some bizarre reason LENR fanatics call COP.

and do not forget F9, and now, suddenly, 5 sigma . OU OU OU OU...

• Are all of them mad people ? Dreamers ?
    We think not. Many of the people who make critics simply fire and spit venom against ONE target ignoring deliberately the big picture.
    Now what to think of people like Zoepfl that make harsh and gross comments almost only against Rossi ? https://disqus.com/by/FredZ777/

We searched for him because he says he is an "Nuclear Engineer" but found only a person who do not publish scientific papers from more then 30 years.

Again, more Royal "we" stuff. Whatever those other real researchers have done has little to do with AR's antics. Most of the garage researchers around here and elsewhere have done more rigorous work than AR--repeatedly demonstrating that NiH does not produce excess heat anywhere near the levels claimed by AR, if at all. I suppose some will continue to claim that he has some extra special sauce that he did not turn over to IH even when they paid for it, because he is so clever that he knew some day they would try to screw him over. Therefore, it is justified to screw them over first. Right? Or, IH is just too incompetent to follow the formula he provided. Or, he gave it to them and they are lying in a federal lawsuit just to get out of paying the poor fellow his due $89M.

Guys you are ignoring the enormous amount of papers published by many authors and industries involved if you speak ONLY of Rossi and ONLY against him the natural question is why only him ?

Rossi has made eye-catching claims that have convinced a few academics while at the same time nearly all of his tests have been obvious flakes. When he is asked (by friends) to corect this flakiness he does not do so, but comes out with more claims and flaky tests.

That distinguishes him from all those other guys. A few have repeated flaky tests (e.g. BLP) but they are not so obviously commercially applicable, the claims are not so extreme (e.g. for power density which is not constrained in any way by physics) and the test flakiness is more subtle, so the discrepancy between claim and reality generates less cognitive overload.

• @axil Theranos is being discussed on The Moletrap forum which also helped to speed realization that Steorn was a scam. You could join it except I am afraid the first time you posted, they would rip you a new one.

• Mary,
    This kind of info is helpful and here in context is informative. I mentioned this last night but my post was off topic and deleted, so I will not repeat. You're point of view here is well known. I had forgotten moletrap and will need to review so this was helpful. For example (being helpful) you and I are certainly on the same page with regards to Rossi. I may be wrong but the "Wizard of Miami" quote which I thought you originally made, on another website caused me to laugh. Everyone needs a good laugh once and a while. My question to you is why not back down on the vitriol around people who know your position. Disagreement is not a necessarily a threat.

Anyway to give you back your laugh. I hope you went to the polywell-talk website that ShaneD mentioned. Rossi talking to Rossi and upping his self-quotes his english is getting better. And it is pretty hilarious. Maybe not to the tune of 11 million dollars, but hey I will talk to myself if someone will give me 1/10 of that.

Regardless of your position that he is a ($%@$#%^) you got to admit, he is amazing at spinning a tale, plus working with educated people at the same time. If he was not (regardless of IH) and his (WoM) motivations. Getting that kinda of cash kinda rates up there with scandals.

• Mary,
    This kind of info is helpful and here in context is informative. I mentioned this last night but my post was off topic and deleted, so I will not repeat.

Deleted? How? Post here? (PM is fine.)

You're point of view here is well known.

Yeah. We got it, like, years ago.

I had forgotten moletrap and will need to review so this was helpful

Moletrap is a combination of self-congratulation society, for being smart as distinct from all those fools out there, and mob that will "rip a newr one" for anyone who shows up and disagrees. Or that imagines it has done this. It's like a bar brawl. In the middle of all that, there might be some information, but it's totally unreliable.

For example (being helpful) you and I are certainly on the same page with regards to Rossi. I may be wrong but the "Wizard of Miami" quote which I thought you originally made, on another website caused me to laugh. Everyone needs a good laugh once and a while. My question to you is why not back down on the vitriol around people who know your position. Disagreement is not a necessarily a threat.

But what if the stupid people don't see the wisdom from Mary?

Um. If someone really cared about that, they would use a real identity to add credibility from laying personal reputation on the line.

Anyway to give you back your laugh. I hope you went to the polywell-talk website that ShaneD mentioned. Rossi talking to Rossi and upping his self-quotes his english is getting better. And it is pretty hilarious. Maybe not to the tune of 11 million dollars, but hey I will talk to myself if someone will give me 1/10 of that.

I've been meaning to mention polywell-talk because Peter Gluck referred to a discussion there. The collection of people discussing there includes some genuine and knowledgeable skeptics (after all, these are people interested in some real science that is not exactly fringe, definitely emerging, polywell technology, i.e, hot fusion). And they were highly negative, not to LENR (where they have some level of interest and acceptance of possibilities), but about Rossi and a certain fanatic and highly acidic believer, and it was the fulminations of that believer which were most visible in what Gluck linked. I looked back. This person made a series of confident predictions in 2014 that didn't happen, and called the main user there discussing with him a "liar," for simply telling him the obvious. And then the obvious became stronger and stronger, initial high suspicion turned into a definite declaration of fraud. That is either a product of increased knowledge -- this person is totally up to date on Rossi v. Darden -- or is a reaction to the extreme "believer" position, which is actually a kind of fanaticism, not simple trust.

Regardless of your position that he is a ($%@$#%^) you got to admit, he is amazing at spinning a tale, plus working with educated people at the same time. If he was not (regardless of IH) and his (WoM) motivations. Getting that kinda of cash kinda rates up there with scandals.

Yeah, the pseudoskeptical story of Rossi probably bears a resemblance to truth, but ... drastically oversimplifies the affair.

There was reference to Theranos. I researched it, here is what appears to be a good article.

Recent Wall Street Journal article.

This story (also in the WSJ) is amazing.

Holmes' idea was actually great. It might be possible. The red flags are two-fold: lack of independent confirmation that the idea was actually realized (as distinct from being possible), and obsessive personal control leading to obsessive secrecy. There is, then, a resemblance to Rossi. But Holmes was dealing with much more money!

• One more comment about Theranos. Gizmodo.

In an open letter to investors on Wednesday, Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes announced that the company was shuttering all of its labs and wellness centers, “impacting” around 340 employees—presumably by putting them out of work.

“We are profoundly grateful to these team members, many of whom have devoted years to Theranos and our mission, for their commitment to our company and our guests,” wrote the CEO of the beleaguered blood-testing startup.

Unfortunately for those devoted team members, federal authorities banned Holmes from operating a lab for two years this summer due to allegedly unsafe practices under her leadership. Theranos, given a choice to keep either its laboratories or its founder, evidently picked the latter.

An obvious solution to the problem is not mentioned. Theranos could have spun off a division to do the work that Holmes wants to do, the main company keeping the labs but complying with the federal ban. Or the lab business could have been spun off. It is possible that it was worthless, but a spin-off would have been cheap. Except obsessives cannot give up control. The goal is not actually the excuse and rationalization ("helping humanity") but personal power, a very old story.

The stories of employees threatened with lawsuits is diagnostic, I'm afraid. This wasn't about disclosure of trade secrets, this was about a cover-up for issues that, if they had been addressed, would have avoided the whole subsequent mess. Of course, by that time, Theranos may have been too committed to back up and retrench. I'm all for confidence, but not for blind attachment to stories of success.

• Abd,
    I would tell you why people do not use real names, but my comment was a joke and would be off topic. I try to avoid PM for my own reason. I know you would trust and care for my info IRL. I will see if I can get the comment in the playground thread. You do good work here. I keep mentioning that driving off Thomas Clarke was the worse thing I have seen here. I will recreate the comment in the open thread if possible. It's trivial and was joke and off topic.

• Abd,
    I would tell you why people do not use real names, but my comment was a joke and would be off topic. I try to avoid PM for my own reason. I know you would trust and care for my info IRL. I will see if I can get the comment in the playground thread. You do good work here. I keep mentioning that driving off Thomas Clarke was the worse thing I have seen here. I will recreate the comment in the open thread if possible. It's trivial and was joke and off topic.

Thanks. I now see what happened and from that, I'm boycotting lenr-forum.com. I will explain in another post here in a moment.

The issue is not the specific post. The issue is even treatment of contributors and respect for authors. There are ways to handle "off-topic" and they are not being used, instead a blunt instrument is being used, while allowing the moderator's own off-topic comments. Rules for users should not be announced in threads, where the rules are themselves off-topic. This is all basic stuff.

• SSC, you are not looking at the various possible meanings of words, but picking a meaning that you think preposterous. And it would be. "Immediately" meant "as soon as Rossi mentioned "GPT." Not from the beginning of the "test."

So IH was waiting for a GPT, Rossi suggested a test in Florida and IH did not even try to ask him if this was the GPT or when he wanted to begin the real GPT after that test?
    If so, IH had a very ambiguous attitude......They paid because:They did not have an independent engineering view yet (as soon as they did, they objected).Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that the chief engineer in IH was Thomas Baker Dameron, whereas Murray was employed after the beginning of the test.
    Why they didn't send Dameron to Doral? You always say that Rossi is paranoid, so you can understand quite easily how difficult it is for a person like him to let a stranger enter the Plant instead of the one he used to know.
    This is what Rossi wanted, and their determined strategy was to give Rossi what he wanted "within reason."
    This idea that IH indulged Rossi as you do with the insane is simply ridiculous.....Darden and Vaughn are business men, not nurses.
    The Murray letter was not about the fourth report, but the about first three preliminary reports and what he saw when he was finally able to visit the plant.

Darden and Vaughn were able to visit the plant in every moment, but they sent Murray (newly hired) after months: they could send an engineer from the very first moments, instead of showing the plant first to investors and then to an engineer! If a car salesman shows a car to a customer, and THEN asks the mechanic if that car works, isn't he dishonest?

IH paid two persons (Fabiani and West) to stay in the plant: didn't them inform IH about what's going on? If things are so absurd as Dewey keep on telling us, why they did not report these facts??

By February, we know that IH and Rossi would communicating through attorneys. (Contradicting the Rossifiction in March that there was no problem with IH. The man lies, can you get that?)

Maybe his attorney suggested this attitude.....can you get that?

Remember, my operating hypothesis is that Rossi is insane, not balanced, so the "he'd realize X" argument can easily fail.

Probably that's the reason why you look so biased when you try to give an interpretation of things happened to him.

• I do not think they were getting payments. JMP asked them to send invoices, but they did not. That's what I have heard, anyway. (Append: Ah, yes. As Abd noted, Dewey said that here. That's where I heard it.)

According to you, IH did not consider the test as the real GPT, but just a way to get money from the investors and from Bass. In spite of this, they didn't collect money from him..... Really funny :)

• Actually, Fred Z is precisely the sort of person you need to address some theoretical claims for LENR.

Mary, Fred Z is just and old retired guy who never contributed to Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics, Fundamental Interactions Physics or Solid State/Condensed Matter Physics.
    Even if he was younger he was missing the basics knowledge to understand LENR that is not a simple field.

• I see that the R-ster's faux puppets have returned in force. Must be nearing time for another fake news push from Planet Rossi.
    Anyone want predict the other handles that will be joining in the soiree in the coming days?

BTW - the forum management needs to straighten up if it expects to have a chance to be relevant in the coming next phase of LENR. Amateur hour needs to end.

• @Dewey,

My comment will be self removed. So I will leave my second comment. I remember when I joined, and when you joined. I remember your tone in your early posts. You did not seem to know friend from foe, from a middle of the road post. You called me out (my posting style hahaha) once lol. You should see now you do not need to defend IH anymore. Most of us give them respect for investing in the field. Recent discussion on IH funding others has only helped IH's standing. Almost everyone here is hunting LENR, and does not give a damn what mainstream thinks of CF. The only criticism that I think is valid and others have expressed is IH and due diligence. Our dialogue is evolving, more are learning. Rossi is now almost a sideshow. And a show needs puppets, and a clown.

• According to you, IH did not consider the test as the real GPT, but just a way to get money from the investors and from Bass.

Not me. I didn't say that. As far as I know, the test was Rossi's idea from start to finish. Again, as far as I can tell, by the time he moved to Florida the people at I.H. had tested the reactor and determined it did not work.

The whole idea of making a giant 1 MW reactor instead of testing individual units was stupid. Rossi was the one who wanted to do that, not I.H.

• I see that the R-ster's faux puppets have returned in force. Must be nearing time for another fake news push from Planet Rossi.
    Anyone want predict the other handles that will be joining in the soiree in the coming days?

BTW - the forum management…

The forum moderation is good here. If you have a problem with it, please feel free to join Abd's joint or create an Industrial Heat forum. When it comes to the next phase of LENR, this forum will have plenty of involvement. When Rossi reveals the Quark and more E-Cat replications are posted, LENR Forums and E-Cat World will be the center of discussion. Systems that produce single digit per gram of fuel power densities won't even be mentioned.

• The forum moderation is good here.

No, it stinks. If you the people running this site want contributions, they have to stop deleting messages or adding stupid comments in green. It takes effort and careful thought to write useful messages. I and others will not go to the trouble to do that if it is likely some nitwit will delete them. I am not going to leave in a huff the way Abd did, but I am not going to bother posting stuff either. I do not participate in e-cat world because they delete stuff and because they are a bunch of wackos.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.