Rossi-Blog Comment Discussion

• Official Post

May I make a request of the moderators to not ban anyone based on any posts on this thread, nor remove any posts on this thread

You can ask, but I'm afraid that sometimes you will just have to trust our judgement. Seldom do we take action without a team consultation. Free speech is very important, but sometimes the inappropriate exploitation of this freedom by one person can cause unreasonable distress to others.

• Quote from JedRothwell apparently around late 2010?

I posted the entire mail sent to Vortex on January 22, 2011, a week after the January 14 demo and on the eve of the publication of the calorimetric report.

There may be no reason to doubt Levi and the others' truthfulness but there are plenty of other reasons to doubt.

????

Honest people can be fooled and obviously, Levi and the others were fooled by Rossi and many people still are.

Obviously? How can you say this? How is it possible that a controversial philosopher could have fooled for many years so many experts in the LENR field and professors in physics?

In any case, common people - including AA and many others here on L-F - have not been fooled by Rossi, because no one has never trusted him. On the contrary, they trusted the "respectable and competent" scientists who have publicly supported the calorimetric performances of the Ecat, and that have refused to publicly inform the honest people that they were wrong.

• Trolling is becoming a way to project power, both militarily, financially and socially. Trolling is now a well compensated and recognized profession practiced by experts with long years of experience. But where does a budding trollor go to practice his trade when the inexperienced troll is just starting out? There must be threads set aside where a troll can experiment with various trolling methods, to find his own style and flair, and to learn from more experienced trolls so that these experts in the trolling arts can pass on their tried and true methods to those who are willing and eager to work hard and learn. And then there are the drooling and bloodthirsty spectators of the trolling arts who long for a brutal and cutthroat no holds bared to the death contest who enjoy the every minute of the savage and gut wrenching spectacle. Such inexpressible joy is had in being immersed up to the ears in a explosion of trolling in a pugilistic wonderland.

oh, I dunno,

axil’s school of trolling?

• Well stated and quite true!

However do not expect AA to answer in any civil or professional manner.

Like almost all the Rossi faithful, when faced with facts, they either ignore and remain silent or spout insult.

IHFanBoy used to at least present a defense, even if it stretched the imagination. Missing windows and all. But AA

has become completely obstinate. He will not discuss fact or logic, but only defend his "Rossi-ship".

At least Sam12 is truthful on his position. But like IHFanBoy, Adrian "claims" to be unbiased but just like his hero,

Adrian's OWN words speak more clearly to his true position. Unfortunate.

Then there is Alan. Capable, experienced, educated and knows good data, tests and logic. Yet he somehow seems

to ignore the mountains of evidence against Rossi's claims and yet defends him. But again, as with all other Rossi believers,

presents no facts, no data, no reasonable peer defense. When directly questioned, likewise, he avoids answering

logical and reasonable questions, which is not very academic. Yet he often throw out the occasional veiled support

of Rossi or the not so sublime diss at IH. Remarkable.

I truly hope he and Mr. George has something. But their story is starting to follow the likes of some known before. Like

LION and ME356, big but mysterious claims.. followed by some tidbits of info... but when valid and logical questions

arise, Mr. George gets defensive and a little insulting. Then less is being told yet the claims are not modified. Then

the move from solid data to "poetic" revelations such as "lovely gammas". Then less is heard.

Will the "lovely gammas" disappear the same as ME356 or LION? The drama is starting to follow the same script.

But hope remains and time will tell. I just do not understand why the curtain of mystery! IP is easily protected.

Test data could be revealed and the peer review could be very helpful. The photos Alan show are appreciated,

but they are not data.

No, I am afraid the "Androcles" WILL go the way of the LION. I hope I am wrong.

Bu

• Just on that list: one thing Rossi has never shown is patience:

Every 2 years he abandons his previous invention and starts up anew with a completely different one - even if the previous invention - according to him - is worth $100M

Anyone (we have several examples) who asks him to explain anomalies in his test setups, for example by adding a bit of extra instrumentation to check things that don't make sense - gets frozen out and called a snake even if they are a friend strongly wishing that his stuff will work. Basically, Rossi goes of in a huff if anyone questions him.

It is not uncommon for inventors to have those characteristics: but it is neither patient, smart, nor friendly to respond in such a way to positive criticism and questioning. You see, if you do that you never know when in fact the questioner has a valid point. Which is perhaps why many inventors die with claimed inventions that only they and a coterie of internet fans believe work.

Sorry Seven, the use of the "child molester" language, although tasteless, tacky, etc., is IMHO not libelous because he is clearly not accusing anyone of being a child molester,

Doesn't matter but I meant if he did directly accuse someone by name of child molesting. he obviously didn't. So hypothetically...

How is it possible that a controversial philosopher could have fooled for many years so many experts in the LENR field and professors in physics?

Scientists are often fooled by con men. Scientists are not usually looking for deception. If, for example, a report says the input power was measured by a particular method and yielded a specific result, scientists will tend to take this as valid on its face and not suspect deliberate deception and cheating.

In any case, common people - including AA and many others here on L-F - have not been fooled by Rossi, because no one has never trusted him. On the contrary, they trusted the "respectable and competent" scientists who have publicly supported the calorimetric performances of the Ecat, and that have refused to publicly inform the honest people that they were wrong.

I agree with that. I am still waiting for Levi, Lewan, Essen, the Swedish professors, Josephson and others who should have known and done better to admit publicly that Rossi is a crook and that they were wrong. I am not holding my breath until they do! On the other hand, far as I know, none is actively endorsing Rossi or defending his/their prior results any more. Lewan may be the exception and the rest are just quiet, far as I know which could, of course, be wrong.

• I have just read the DelcoTimes letter you wrote and I have a few comments and questions:

AA, The first thing you should understand was that my letter was a news piece, written for a lay audience, who would be put off by a scientific paper.

“1. For someone who professes to have not actually decided that Rossi’s widgets work, instead claiming that you are keeping an open mind and giving him the benefit of the doubt, that letter as as close to a tongue bath as I have ever seen.

AA. Babbler type incorrect ad hominem. I have repeatedly stated that I don't think they work has been proven 100% I consider the QX x closest to being proven.

2. Unless the letter contained, in very, very small type, qualifying language, e.g., “apparently,” “it appears,” “it suggests,” etc., that letter is a complete statement of faith in Rossi’s widgets.

AA. As stated, the news piece was not a scientific paper.

3. You have attacked, and yes I use that word deliberately, many posters here for not quoting your exact language when they disagree with you. You have also attacked many posters as babblers because they get something wrong. So, here is your exact language from that letter:

AA. When people attack me by misquoting what I wrote, of course I want them to show my actual words. That is not “attacking” anybody. Yes, babblers make mistakes, but what I really object to is their endless babble.

“. . . but IH refused to pay the $900 million called for by the contract.”

My question to you is very simple, WHERE IN HELL DOES THE CONTRACT CALL FOR A PAYMENT OF $900 MILLION? I can’t find that, and I looked. But I am confident that, with your extensive experience in building and supervising the building of large plants, and your expert knowledge of how these types of agreements are structured, and the fact that I am a mere babbler, that you will immediately solve this mystery for me. All you have to do is provide a page number, or cut and paste the section from the contract.

AA. You try to make out this is a big deal in all caps no less. It was a typo that I corrected in tn a comment immediate after I saw it. I suffer from macular deterioration such that I have a hole about 4” dia in the center of vision in one eye and with the other, if I look at two adjacent figures or letters I can only see one. So I missed it when proof reading the piece. It’s likely I won’t be able to read at all for much longer.

4. But continuing with the DelcoTimes letter, you said:

“This tiny reactor, about 1 cm long by 0.6 cm in diameter, was shown to produce 20 Watts of heat from a negligible input of power. The Coefficient of Performance (COP) was over 500. That is to say it produced more than 500 times the power required to run it. It can also be switched on and off instantaneously, something no other reactor has been capable of, and can operate at a temperature of 2300 C.”

There are a number of factual assertions made by you, none of which are qualified in any way. First, you assert that the “tiny reactor” is about 1 cm long by 0.6 cm in diameter (which coincidentally is about ½ the size of my kidney stones). Did you measure the size yourself or is this a case of “Rossi Says?”

AA. Ah, a real question at last. Rossi stated the size and it was obviously about right from looking the the small water jacket on the displayed model that contained it. The production version is probably slightly different. So what? It is still tiny.

Second, you assert that it was “shown to produce 20 Watts of heat from a negligible input of power.” Now, I have made it clear that I don’t understand the physics, or any of the science, relating to this. But after watching the videos from Stockholm, and reading pretty much everything said by you, Axil and Sam12 on this thread, I don’t recall anyone explaining how that 20 watts of heat was measured. If I am wrong, please cite to the relevant section or post or whatever and I will read, and if wrong, will apologize. However, if I am not wrong, what is your basis for making this factual assertion. You also state in this clause, as a unqualified factual assertion, that this 20 watts of heat was derived from a “negligible input of power.” What is your basis, your empirical evidence if you will, for this factual assertion? Did you personally examine or measure the amount of power input to the “reactor?” Did anyone than Rossi or a member of his team, say one of the “crowd of 70 professors, scientists and business people” measure the power input to the reactor, or for that matter, the amount of heat generated? Is the only evidentiary basis for your factual assertion “Rossi Says?

AA. Hard to believe you watched the video as the calorimetry was shown in detail. Water was pumped into the heat exchanger through a plastic tube, where the water was heated. It exited through another plastic tube into a large transparent container that was weighed to determine the amount after an hour. The increase in temperature for the volume of of water gives the heat output. The pump was even cut in half afterwards to show it didn’t contain a heater. I haven’t seen anyone doubt this fool proof method.

The measurement of power was taken by a senior scientist, not Rossi. Are you sure you watched the video? Basically the input power was determined by the voltage drop across a 1 ohm resistor in series with the reactor. This gave the current flowing though the circuit. The power used by rector is effected by its resistance and it was assumed to be low (~1 ohm). This is what one would expect from plasma. Rossi didn’t want to allow the voltage across the reactor itself as it would give away his proprietary waveform. So this is the only thing missing to prove certainty of the performance of the QX. I could easily measure this myself and, as I said, any investor thinking of providing funding would do that as part of their due diligence. So it seems unlikely that Rossi is faking this.

5. Next up we have “[T]he Coefficient of Performance (COP) was over 500. That is to say it produced more than 500 times the power required to run it.” Same questions as above, what is/are the bases for your unqualified factual assertions?

AA. The COP was calculated fy the same scientist that took the measurements. This based on the calorimetry described and the voltage drop across the 1 ohm resistor. It looked like the power pack used was not efficient, otherwise it would nave been simpler to measure the input power to that. If that had been used the COP would have been lower It is worth noting that Rossi said he was running the reactor at 1/3 power to avoid problems in the demo and soon after the rating was increased to 100 W. During the R&D to industrialize the QX (and probably as a result of work on the SK) Rossi stated the rated power has been increased to 1 kW.

6. “It can also be switched on and off instantaneously, something no other reactor has been capable of, and can operate at a temperature of 2300 C.” Three unqualified factual assertions, (a) it can be turned on and off instantaneously, (b) something no other reactor has been capable of, and (c) can operate at 2300 C.

As to the ability to turn on and off instantaneously, how do you know? I doubt that you tried as it is pretty clear from the video that Rossi doesn’t like anyone else to have contact with his widget if he can avoid it, and I didn’t see you, or anyone else, attempting to go through several successful cycles of on/off operation. So I am assuming that is a “Rossi Says.”

As to other reactors being capable of instant on/off, I cannot see how you can make this assertion. Have you personally seen/tested ALL of the other reactors out there? I don’t think so, which means this is either a “Rossi Says” or an “Adrian Claims,” neither of which however is supported by any empirical evidence.

AA. That is the nature of a plasma. Consider a fluorescent lamp. The earlier E-Cats required relatively slow heating to start and once hot may continue output as “life after death.”

And lastly, how do you know Rossi’s widget can operate at 2300 C? Same questions as above, did you see it personally, did you measure or is this another case of “Rossi Says?”

AA. The max temperature on the wall of the QX depends on the material. The inside temperature of the plasma is reported to be ~20,000 C.

Now, I am sure you will respond to this, in part, by saying, look at what I said later in the letter, where I said:

“It is important to recognize the Nov. 24 demonstration was to provide people with the characteristics of the E-Cat QX and was not a scientific experiment whose results would allow others to replicate it.

Parts of the reactor are secret so it was difficult to display everything. The measurements made were adequate to show the properties of the E-Cat QX. To ensure there was no trickery some other proprietary measurements must be made. This would be simple for a potential investor to do, so there is no logical reason to doubt the results The QX still needs some engineering development to make it commercial and an automated factory to mass produce them will take another year.”

And I would answer, so what? Nothing in those two paragraphs qualifies all of your previous assertions, rather instead you double down by saying “. . . so there is no logical reason to doubt the results.” Your letter was, IMHO, an amazing piece propaganda, tailor made for Rossi to use to show to potential marks – “see, here is an accomplished scientist, engineer, etc., and he states that not only have I discovered the holy grail, but it would sacrilege to doubt my claims.”

AA. It seems clear enough to me. As you don’t understand how things work it is no surprise you don’t understand that paragraph.

And despite this letter you still profess and claim that you are not biased, you are keeping an open mind, you have no desire to review the history and past work of this modern day Da Vinci, but instead you merely claim that you are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

AA. As I have stated the QX has not been proven to work with certainty but I think there is a good chance that it does. A babbler is not a skeptic: a babbler is 100% certain the it doesn't work.

If you can do all that with a straight face and no qualms, then I salute you Gunga Din, you are a better man than I.

• AA,

I must say I was incorrect. You answered point by point. Well done.

I may not agree with your answers nor your logic in your points, but I will state that you did address them point by point. And you refrained from insults! This is how all discussions should be conducted.

Again, even if I do not agree to some points, a big thumbs up for the response and style.

Perhaps you can explain more why you believe the measurements were accurate. Even with an "independent" judge, whom I doubt to be the case, I saw nothing that indicated accurate measurements were made. Of the output, there is a slight chance. There is NO chance that input was measured either accurately or even theoretically. I am qualified and able to detect proper measurements of that type and there was none with the QuarkX demo.

You state above "I have repeatedly stated that I don't think they work has been proven 100% I consider the QX x closest to being proven." Yes, you state it is not 100% but that the QX is the closest to being proven. As far as I know, the only thing the QX has that any other version of Cat does not is the Stockholm demo. Do you believe the Stockholm demo is truly a via test showing excess heat? I know you are not saying it 100% proves it, but do you believe the test as shown, is remotely able to be a rationally logical test? Including the 1 ohm "test"?

Alan Smith, here on LENR was AT the demo. He personally saw it. Yet even he states that the event proved nothing and refuses to give any peer review on it. I ask why you place such high confidence (not 100%) on this test when Alan's silence confirms the demo was a complete bust? I am asking for specifics in logic, not desire for it to work.

As far as the 20,000 degree heat. Really? That high a temp "inside" the plasma? We all know that energy has to go somewhere and it does not simply disappear. There is no material containment that can withstand that temperature. And Rossi does not have a magnetic bubble.

So far, following this story since 2011 and at one time being a Rossi supporter, I have seen nothing but

"Rossi Says" and "Rossi says" has always turned out to be deceptive or out and out lies. If you discount any "Rossi Says", is there any evidence that the eCat works? I think not. I firmly disagree that "scientists" and "engineers" support him. NONE come out publicly with data, facts or even vigorous verbal support. Even our local Alan Smith will not defend the QuarkX! That really says a lot!

Again, thank you for the content and presentation of your reply.

A babbler is not a skeptic: a babbler is 100% certain the it doesn't work.

Well, darn! Here I thought I had the babbler distinction wrapped up and all of sudden it is brutally wrenched from me.

Rossi doesn't allow adequate testing and without that, nobody can correctly say that they are certain his reactors don't work. It's just that virtually every available bit of historical evidence we have says they don''t and can't and Rossi is a verified liar. But, no, the probability that Rossi's trashy-looking gadgets don't work isn't 100%. It approaches 100% asymptotically but never quite reaches 100%, again because Rossi won't allow anyone to test the reactors correctly and "indipendently".

In addition, in most instances you can't prove a negative in this sense: even if someone reliable had tested every existing Rossi reactor with negative results, that doesn't mean that the next one he made would be 100% certain not to work.

But we don't require 100% certainty to make decisions -- even decisions which affect or even take someone's liberty or life, right, WW?

As far as the 20,000 degree heat. Really? That high a temp "inside" the plasma? We all know that energy has to go somewhere and it does not simply disappear. There is no material containment that can withstand that temperature. And Rossi does not have a magnetic bubble.

Sorry, I must've been sleeping. Did someone seriously claim that the piece of mostly inert sculpture made of plastic pipe and duct tape, exhibited at the Stockholm Rossi demo, had a region in which the temperature reached 20,000 degrees? Or that a similar Rossi-made device does? That would be pure fantasy. Just how does Rossi prevent the hot region from melting, burning or even exploding the surrounding structure? Has he invented the perfect heat shield made of hydrinos or positrons or what?

• Don't get confused with 20.000 degrees.

It's a plasma. IMHO it's about density or thermaldensity, even nonthermal plasmas, I dunno.

It's not a field I have real knowledge, only autodidactical knowledge, when reading about hot fusion or plasma physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonthermal_plasma

"A kind of common nonthermal plasma is the mercury-vapor gas within a fluorescent lamp, where the "electron gas" reaches a temperature of 20,000 kelvins while the rest of the gas, ions and neutral atoms, stays barely above room temperature, so the bulb can even be touched with hands while operating." [...]

In plasma physics, temperatures with redicoulous high numbers are just normal,

reality, reached in real experiments/protoypes -> Tokamak (20-30 Million degrees), Stellarator or even plasma cutters (30. 000 degrees)

So, it's not about Unoptanuim or Rossionium :)

• AA: Are you sure you watched the video? Basically the input power was determined by the voltage drop across a 1 ohm resistor in series with the reactor. This gave the current flowing though the circuit. The power used by rector is effected by its resistance and it was assumed to be low (~1 ohm). This is what one would expect from plasma. Rossi didn’t want to allow the voltage across the reactor itself as it would give away his proprietary waveform. So this is the only thing missing to prove certainty of the performance of the QX.

Since P = V*I, and in this case I is known but V is completely unknown, without the measurement Rossi views as proprietary the input power is completely unknown (except that as with Rossi's other reactors it is a priori likely that it is close to the output power).

Only a true Rossi fan would accept this glaring omission as somehow still providing positive evidence. In fact it is profoundly negative that in such a high profile public demo Rossi cannot allow the input power to be measured. It is part of a known pattern where Rossi's tests all have known (or guessable) measurement defects. Rossi does not allow controls or double-testing, so we are left with these "if you believe me it works" type results. But we have absolutely no reason to believe Rossi - and every reason based on history to doubt him.

• Official Post

Yet even he states that the event proved nothing and refuses to give any peer review on it. I ask why you place such high confidence (not 100%) on this test when Alan's silence confirms the demo was a complete bust? I am asking for specifics in logic, not desire for it to work.

I said- as you correctly state - the demo proved nothing. How do you peer-review nothing? The answer is simple, you don't. I don't bother to defend Rossi since he is a big boy and looks after himself. I can also see no reason to believe he has nothing, in fact just the opposite. Especially when I see his competitors wallpapering the turf with patents. As for your snide references to my work with Russ George, please explain precisely what we owe you here and now or anybody else in terms of providing data for experiments not yer complete. Russ and I are both planning to make a presentation at the Italy conference in October- until then we are keeping our powder dry.

ps. If you are not familiar with the vernacular term 'snide', look it up.

• Sorry, I must've been sleeping. Did someone seriously claim that the piece of mostly inert sculpture made of plastic pipe and duct tape, exhibited at the Stockholm Rossi demo, had a region in which the temperature reached 20,000 degrees? Or that a similar Rossi-made device does? That would be pure fantasy. Just how does Rossi prevent the hot region from melting, burning or even exploding the surrounding structure? Has he invented the perfect heat shield made of hydrinos or positrons or what?

Rossi is claiming the Skat Cat has reached 20,000 degrees.

https://e-catworld.com/2018/07…-the-e-cat-sk-is-20-000c/

Andrea Rossi

July 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM

E.Hergen:

The max T we reach is around 20 000 °C.

Even if this is plasma, I believe it is still quite problematic. He does not indicate

it is plasma temperature. But then with everything Rossi, he never is clear.

• AS: I can also see no reason to believe he has nothing, in fact just the opposite.

Alan - do you see the glaring inadequacy of all his public demos as a ruse to make us think he has nothing (the "Rossi is trying to appear a crook for business reasons" meme)? Or do you feel that this is juts terminal incompetence, notwithstanding which he has an invention that will revolutionise world industry? Many on this thread find your judgements - given here couched in a laudable caution but with pro-Rossi sentiment slipping out, as in "he is a big boy and looks after himself", difficult to understand. He has a history of not looking after himself.

THH

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.