Rossi and 2008 demo, unTethered

• My interest here is historical. We know that Rossi creates deceptive leads to throw would-be replicators off. So I trust none of the substantive claims here, they might be true and they might not. I have had a conversation with a scientist who was at an early demonstration, and his account more or less matched what is stated, i.e., when they began looking at the device carefully, Rossi ended the demonstration in a huff. This was U.S. government people, and they offered to meet with him again if he wanted. Apparently he never returned.

The conversation reported below was in 2011, when the Rossi news broke widely.

From JONP:

Mills has followed up as I write this:

Note added by Abd: The claim of removal appears to be false; if it disappeared, perhaps there was some glitch. The material, which is quoted below, is on Krivit's site, as shown below.

I will copy the Krivit material here, because Krivit has acted in the past to remove material from archive.org. This is in no way surprising for him, he has removed or covered up with a misleading link material that he once posted, an example would be the Richard Garwin comment on Lewis Larsen, which was quite negative, though stated more or less as a question, which then Krivit has presented as if it were positive. In this case, he hasn't eliminated the conversation, but made it part of a list of "positive comments." Which it certainly was not, as anyone can find by reading what he links.

At this point, I intend to cover what I can find about Tether and the early demonstrations. I know someone else who knew Rossi then, well, and Rossi is apparently highly likeable in person. But ... bails if seriously questioned. That person was totally shocked to see the Rossi Hydro Fusion email. The person knew about that test, but ... had difficulty imagining that Rossi would write what he actually wrote to IH.

Rossi, my general conclusion, is insane, which is not a specific diagnosis, it means that normal standards of sanity cannot be used to understand behavior. I am not "attacking" him. My opinion is that those who enable his insanity are not his friends; his insanity is taking him down, he could lose everything. Rossi is not the only cold fusion figure who is insanity-enabled. It's a problem. Paranoia is actually fairly obvious, but some set it aside. I have a friend who tends to paranoia in his life, and when it strikes him, he becomes obsessed by whether it's "right" or not. He can see all this evidence!

I often repeat: just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. However, paranoia is a reactive mental state that disables higher brain functions, which become directed entirely to survival in a world where "being wrong" is a terrible fate. The amazing associative engine of the cerebral cortex becomes entirely devoted to developing "proof." And someone who is very smart can always invent proof!

How to move beyond this is not necessarily easy. I've been trained, but most people never approach that. When reactivity is calmed, the higher functions operate and create possibilities and if there is real danger, it will be immediately addressed. Martial artists know that if they are not afraid, they cannot be cut. Is that true? Probably not, but as a stand that generates maximally effective action, it is probably spectacular. "Truth" is overblown, when it becomes abstract.

• https://web.archive.org/web/20…Tether-Krivit-E-mails.pdf

Original may be copyright New Energy Times and is quoted here under fair use, not for profit, for purposes of critique and discussion.

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:37:01 ‐0700
    To: Tether Tony
    Subject: Rossi Story
    Hi Tony,
    I presume you've seen my Report #2?
    I've heard from Pam Boss that you've seen a Rossi "demo" as well. Can you tell me when and where that was? What was your reaction?
    Thanks,
    Steven
    At 11:21 PM 6/29/2011, you wrote:
    Steven
    I don't believe I have seen your reports on Rossi, please send.
    Tony
    Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 06:22:45 ‐0700
    To: tether
    Subject: Re: Rossi Story
    Hi Tony,
    Here is #1
    http://newenergytimes.com/v2/n…37/RossiECatReport1.shtml
    Here is #2
    http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2011/37/Report2‐372‐
    EnergyCatalyzerScientificCommunicationAndEthicsIssues.shtml
    I would very much like to hear your comment(s) and view, particularly if it has changed from "if it was a hoax, it was a damn good one."
    Best regards,
    Steven
    ========
    Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:01 AM
    To: John Bockris
    Subject: RE: Letter from JOMB
    Hi John,

I know that Tony Tether, former head of DARPA, saw a demo, He said if it was a hoax, it was a damn good one. Folks at NRL saw a couple of demos. When they began asking questions, Rossi left in a huff. I also know of folks who have asked to see a demo who have been turned down. My guess is that Rossi and company were expecting to get a glowing report from Krivit, which is why they gave him a demo. That did not happen. So I suspect they will selectively pick and choose who they give demos to.

Pam
    =========
    At 06:53 AM 6/30/2011, you wrote:
    Steven

Thanks and no my opinion hasn't changed.

Its the amount of time his system runs that makes it hard to figure out what could be going on and whether the energy is be created by burning containments like oxides.

I did see the NH experiment which wasn't one of his best but it went for a long time. The weight of the Hydrogen bottle was being measured and it wasn't decreasing. The input power was being measured and it was what he said it was.

I did have a chance to talk to him and he was evasive when I directly asked him what was going on. He complained why we needed to take separate measurements. I told him that if he didn't want to disclose how it worked, then there was no other choice but to make sure there wasn't a person behind the curtain (I don't think he understood my Wizard of Oz reference).

I believe that what is going on is very simple and/or impossible to protect and therefore he has to keep it a tradesecret until he makes however much money he wants to get out of this.

I believe he has said that for $100M, he would disclose the secret.

Now I don't know if the Greek Government has come up with the $100M but even if they did (or whoever does), and my belief is correct, they cant afford to say how it works either
    in order to protect their investment.

So my statement that "If it is a hoax, it is a damm good one" still stands.

Meanwhile it is fun to watch and Rossi has, perhaps inadvertently, breathed life into this whole area.

Please put me back on your list for your articles.
    Tony
    Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:02:59 ‐0700
    To: Ttether
    Hi Tony,
    Good to hear your perspective. Can you tell me approximately when you saw one of his devices?
    Sorry about not having you on my distro. I see I never updated it from your DARPA address.
    I've got more interesting stuff on the way, particularly my video interviews. Can't say they are very encouraging but they are entertaining.
    Steven
    At 08:25 PM 6/30/2011, you wrote:
    It was last year in NH
    Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:14:36 ‐0700
    To: ttether
    Hi Tony,
    Considering your eight years at DARPA, would it be fair to say that few men have seen as many new, strange and innovative concepts as you have seen?
    Thanks,
    Steven
    At 04:46 AM 7/8/2011, you wrote:
    It would be fair.
    3/18/2016
    Tony,
    Can you check your records and see if your visit to Rossi in NH was on Nov. 20, 2009 please?
    See encl., pg. 4
    Thanks,
    Steve
    At 05:29 AM 3/18/2016, you wrote:
    Steve

That's seems right.

I would really have to dig to be sure like find a hotel and rental car receipt the month and year are right.

The experiment measured input electrical power (400 watts I believe), the flow rate of water and the temperature rise of the output to the input of the water.

There was a hydrogen source into the device and the mass of the hydrogen was being measured to make sure that burning the hydrogen was not a source of heat.

The experiment went on for hours until we all got tired looking at it.

The input electrical energy to increased heat energy output was 25 (may be off a bit here but nothing that would change the conclusion) and the fact that this was true over many hours negated that some chemical reaction was the cause.

Rossi refused to explain what was going on in the bottle and hinted to some secret sauce acting as a catalyst but never would give any further details.

I think the lack of details was partially because he really did not understand why it was working but it definitely was working; something non‐chemical was going on in the bottle.

Another explanation of his reluctance to give details was that the answer was so simple that it could be readily copied.

Tony

• The http://newenergytimes.com/v2/s…Tether-Krivit-E-mails.pdf page is still up, so Mill's report was either incorrect, was some transient glitch, or he gave the wrong URL, because I went from the archive.org page to the Krivit page: http://newenergytimes.com/v2/s…Tether-Krivit-E-mails.pdf

This email exchange was covered at http://www.e-catworld.com/2016…-tether-new-energy-times/
    The link there still works. Mills fed Rossi some ... scat!

The Tether comments were relatively neutral. He reported what was seen at some demos. Rossi presented a prima-facie picture of excess heat. However, notice that Tether points out Rossi's reaction when those in attendance got too nosy. That matches the independent account I have.

Rossi has responded to Mills:

There is no particular problem with Tether. He simply reported what he saw, with a few impressions.

Looking around, more from JONP:

The "USA" persons would almost certainly be Ampenergo people.

As to early tests and demos, Krivit has a lot of information on his timeline. I warn that this timeline is constructed with an axe to grind, but it can still be useful.
    http://newenergytimes.com/v2/s…iECat/RossiTimeline.shtml

• Lomax, I was unable to reply to your comment in my topic "Interesting info on Krivit / DARPA's Tony Tether". You said "The "particularly disturbing" claim made to Rossi here that the page had been taken down by Krivit was false -- or if it was taken down, it came back up quickly." I was referring to the interesting comments made by DARPA's Tony Tether. I consider Krivit a third rate journalist with a sixth grade science degree.

• Lomax, I was unable to reply to your comment in my topic "Interesting info on Krivit / DARPA's Tony Tether". You said "The "particularly disturbing" claim made to Rossi here that the page had been taken down by Krivit was false -- or if it was taken down, it came back up quickly." I was referring to the interesting comments made by DARPA's Tony Tether. I consider Krivit a third rate journalist with a sixth grade science degree.

And then I was unable to respond to you because I was banned for a few days. That's over now. Your original topic was shut down by a moderator, with no notice. I have argued that when this is done, there should be a link to where discussion may continue, such as another instance of really the same topic, which is probably what was the idea. I am now doing my general writing on my blog (actually set up for the whole community, but this particular "meeting" has me as secretary to start. I respond to consensus, that's a commitment.)

http://coldfusioncommunity.net

As to Krivit, well, I've written a lot about him. The only recent post of mine deleted on E-catworld referred to what I'd found out about Krivit. I think it made Acland nervous.

However, here, Krivit had not deleted, it was as simple as that. Yet that was repeated by several people. It's a knee-jerk, reactive community, ready to believe anything that makes the Bad Guys look Bad -- and the Good Guys Good. It is paranoid, like Krivit himself and certain others. "Paranoid" does not mean "wrong." It's about emotional response that reinforces certain beliefs that then amplify the emotional response. It can wreak havoc on a career.... it can be completely tragic in effect.

The only recent post of mine deleted on E-catworld referred to what I'd found out about Krivit. I think it made Acland nervous.

What's that, Abd? He tortures little puppies?

• @Alan Smith,
    What sort of metadata were you looking for from the photo?
    It was taken by Fabiani just after the Validation. These were fairly hi-res images.

The original links were from a post from Fabiani on the JoNP May 3, 2013, and included links to the photos of the blue reactor being moved by a crane to a flatdeck from the Bologna facility.

F.Fabiani
    May 3rd, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    Dear Dr Rossi,
    please, find the photos of the 24H performance test of the MW1-Ecat made on April 30 – May 01 and the photos of when it has been transported from Bologna to Ferrara to prepare it for the test.
    Best regards
    M.Eng. F.Fabiani

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.