Rossi E-Cat -- The Current Embodiment of LENR

• Except for Andrea Rossi's E-Cat technology, LENR technology has few advantages over conventional "hot fusion" research except a much lower budget. Hot fusion research programs spend billions of dollars to employ dozens or hundreds of workers to build planetarium sized reactors to produce trivial amounts of excess energy -- without any hope of near term commercialization. For the most part, all LENR technologies other than the Energy Catalyzer and it's close cousins (Focardi's work, Me356's work, replications both published and unpublished) produce similarly trivial results -- albeit with the advantages of a much lower budget. The fact that LENR research can be performed on a shoe string budget in a small laboratory -- literally in a CLOSET in some cases -- makes the research much more affordable. But without results that can lead to a near term commercial application far more advantageous than traditional energy technologies, I suggest that LENR research is almost as problematic as hot fusion.

A couple outliners do exist. Black Light Power has likely produced perpetual "runaway" conditions with their Suncell technology, at the cost of designing a "Rube Goldberg" like device with countless subsystems. Additionally, the work of Unified Gravity Corporation has provided seemingly hard evidence of a narrow window (around 200eV) at which fusion between protons and lithium can happen, yielding a massive production of alpha particles. On the surface, this seems like a huge breakthrough that could be engineered into a practical product quickly. At least time, however, they do not seem to have anything close to even a prototype of a product. And, of course, there could be undisclosed systems that could be producing robust results at high power densities.

The E-Cat, on the other hand, shows extremely high power densities through the use of nickel powder, hydrogen gas, and an number of potential additional substances to enhance the effect. Palladium and copper were used in the earliest systems to enhance hydrogenation, and later lithium was added to serve as a catalytic "promotor" and an additional fuel. Although the technology has changed over time -- both in the use of additional "catalysts/fuels" and form factor -- it represents a fairly straightforward, simple, and practical method of producing excess heat. With power densities up to and beyond a thousand watts per gram in high temperature variations, it supercedes all other publicly disclosed LENR technologies.

Until another company or individual emerges with a technology that compares in simplicity and power density, the Energy Catalyzer IS the current embodiment of LENR. As far as I'm concerned, shoving the E-Cat into a sub-forum would be like Edison shoving a modern LED bulb into the bottom drawer of a file cabinet while continuing to push his employees to test more carbon filaments. Despite Andrea Rossi's personality, bad habits, occasional paranoia (which sometimes has served him well), and less than full cooperation with Industrial Heat during the Doral test, his technology is a magnitude or more advanced than any competitor. In fact, he's the only individual who seems to be making an effort to immediately push his technology into the market place in the near term. With the latest version of his technology, the Quark, he has a device that could be mass produced by the billions and used in an incalculable number of applications.

Of course there could very well be barriers that get in his way. If he pulled too many shinannigans in his dealings with IH -- even if he proves that their most damning accusations were not entirely true -- the consequences of his possible deceptive activities could result in his work on the E-Cat being halted while he spends time in prison, possibly along with several other individuals. I do not think this is a likely scenerio, because I think he will probably pull some "wabbits" out of his hat at the last moment, proving a real customer, a real manufacturing process, and at least some excess heat. But if the worst did happen and Leonardo Corporation was shut down forever, the E-Cat would still be the number one most relevant topic for discussion on this forum.

I'm appalled that a sub-forum would be created to try and shove the discussion of this technology away into a corner. While all LENR research is appropriate for discussion on LENR-Forums, I would suggest the opposite action should be performed -- keeping E-Cat discussion at the top and center of LENR Forums, at least until another technology with equivalent potential emerges. Not a Rube Goldberg device, not a theory or lab experiment, but a reactor with comparable performance.

• /* LENR technology has few advantages over conventional "hot fusion" research except a much lower budget. I suggest that LENR research is almost as problematic as hot fusion. */

IMO nothing is more distant from truth. The LENR enables to miniaturize and distribute the energy sources - which is something, what giant ITER can never provide (the tokamak technology has its lower scale limit, bellow which it isn't feasible due to excessive cooling of plasma by surface of it). And so far LENR promises clean heat source without production of ionizing radiation - which is also something, which the hot fusion can never provide by its design. This ionizing radiation not only makes all metal parts of hot fusion reactor radioactive, but it also limits the
    yield of usable heat of nuclear reaction.

The US government has spent $14.7 billion on hot fusion research since 1951 up to 2008 year (in 1997 dollars). With compare to it, the LENR budget over the same period hardly exceeds the $400 million. I'm pretty sure, that if the cold fusion research would get the comparable funding like the hot fusion, we would have cold fusion reactors at the market already. It's not just about higher investments, but also about making the research public and sharing of informations about it, what greatly increases the speed of progress.

/* Until another company or individual emerges with a technology that compares in simplicity and power density, the Energy Catalyzer IS the current embodiment of LENR. */

IMO the initiation of LENR with corona discharge already announced with Rossi (in his QuarkX reactor) and another companies (like the Unified Gravity Corporation) is one of future improvements of LENR. The placement the discharge into nickel reactor is very trivial extension of rather primitive E-Cat technology - and we even didn't start with its research. The further progress may come very fast.

• The lower budget creates these other advantages.

With a lower budget more people can perform testing. When someone gets good results, more people can afford to replicate. Since the budget is low, replicators such as Me356 can run hundreds of tests.

However, all of these advantages don't mean anything if a high powered commercial product doesn't emerge. The good news is that the low budget has allowed for Andrea Rossi to develop a very powerful technology that has the potential to make all other forms of energy obsolete.

• /* With a lower budget more people can perform testing. When someone gets good results, more people can afford to replicate. */

I don't understand such a logics. The higher budget would also allow more testing, isn't it true? The repeatability of technology doesn't depend on budget, but on minimal scale, at which such a technology can be tested (which is probably what You actually had on mind here).

It's not secret for me, that one of reasons, why the hot fusion research is supported with government, whereas the cold fusion isn't is, that the cold fusion would enable the distribution of energy sources. Which would threat the monopoly of central governments, which maintain their power just from redistribution of energy. For example in our country the tax represents whole half of cost of gasoline, because the government controls all market with oil products.

• Zephir, a couple of things. I do not know how anyone can comment on the QuarkX, very little is known and not much of that is public. United Gravity is interesting but again no hard data no independent testing etc. Do you have some more info? I have looked at the site. Some open science would be nice here.
    Finally, I tried to ask you a question on the eLISA interferometer and the aether did you see it? I wanted your take on it.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.