Looking for Heat - Micro-photography as a community service.

• Official Post

Microphotography?

With the help of a couple of generous donors, Looking For Heat.com has been able to purchase a vintage metallurgical microscope. For the last 40 years it has sat- I suspect unused -in a dusty corner of a large nut-and-bolt manufacturer in Northern England. As so many have, the factory ran away to China- but they left the microscope and a lot of very useful extras behind.

Many of the 'extras' have never been unwrapped from new. Handily they include a beautiful filar micrometer (for particle or other micro-size measurement) full polarisation and pseudo phase-contrast possibilities, as well as a very wide range of premium-grade colour filters. As the microscope works with both reflected and transmitted light it is suitable for examining the surface of solid plates (electrodes for example) as well as powders down to 1 Micron or so.

The cost of this kind of scope today - at this quality is probably in the region of $40k. Things have got cheaper- back in in '70s it cost €12.5K. Enough then to buy a quite nice house in a London suburb. These prices are according to the archived Olympus price list And while electronics has moved on considerably since 1970, optics and mechanics have not, so it is not amazingly 'out of date'. With a theoretical maximum magnification of 2000x, (the practical limit is probably nearer 1500X) and by the use of post-processing of the 5Mp digital images this gives us the ability to approach the lower limits of what is possible with an electron microscope.

As part of our remit to help the experimenter's community, we are happy to offer a micro-photography service to serious experimenters at little or no cost - depending on what is involved. Contact via our website- or through this forum.

More photographs at http://www.lookingforheat.com/…metallurgical-microscope/

• Official Post

elfmade ultrasound cleaner, metallurgical microscope - all this is a nice stuff for toy hobbyists - but where the actual cold fusion research is?

I'm doing it round your house. ;)

Actually the research effort is spreading among a group of collaborators we are slowly building. Problem is, you can't do research without the tools, so I am becoming a supplier of services as well as goods. Sometimes I even get to eat and sleep. How is your research coming on?

• Official Post

@Zephir_AWT

You asked about research. At the moment we are running 3 projects. Ni pretreatment with Ultrasonics with Hank Mills, and also discussing experimental protocols with two other players. There a third waiting in line for some time to come free. It is to meet the needs one of these associates that we got the microscope. Apart from that we are doing nothing . :rolleyes:

• Well, the actual reason why the research of cold fusion remains delayed by nearly once century with mainstream physics is, these physicists also prefer their pet projects, which they enjoy more. This doesn't mean, they're lazy - on the contrary. They also doing research, but they don't bother with attempts for replication of more successful projects, so that they start from the very beginning again and again. And they get upset with public feedback for it as well. You're just doing the same at small scale. I'm just describing the things, as I perceive them.

As for your cleaning procedure, it has been already reported, that the oxidized nickel performs better for fusion. And there is no need to waste time with building of ultrasound cleaner, which you can buy at every e-shop.

/* And your favourite hobby is defending Aether (Wave) Theory on the internet? Yawn. */

I'm not asking for money from sponsors - this is the difference. I'm not embezzling foreign money.

• There are only three good reasons for doing anything. One is to make money, two is to have fun, three is for love.

I'd put survival first, most people do. Then the others, pursuit of money being a common survival technique. However, no love or fun, survival tends to be poor. I'd have snapped that microscope up. Boy toys.

• /* There are only three good reasons for doing anything. One is to make money, two is to have fun, three is for love. */

You see - and I'm perceiving the doing LENR experiments as a service to future human civilization. The feeling of responsibility.
    This motivation doesn't cover anything from the above. At any case, what you're doing for your money and its motivation is your business. But the sponsors who are giving you money in the name of the research of cold fusion aren't doing it from making money (they're losing it instead), from fun (giving money is no fun) and I'll not comment the love. They're actually doing it just because they feel responsible, they want to help useful thing for all people. And what are you doing it with it? Your own money and fun.

This doesn't look quite right for me.

• On a more general note - it just seems for me, that the greatest enemy of all progress (not just cold fusion) is the selfishness. It's not just about selfishness of people, who are taking the money of tax payers and sponsors for doing their own money, passion and fun instead of doing contributory research. It's not just the problem of other selfish and jealous people, who boycott, attack, deny and ignore all contributory findings just for not to lose their own social credit, jobs and grant money.

It's also the problem of most people, who are actually doing the contributory research, because once they finally get something useful, they lock down all information about it (me356, Rossi and others). They have indeed rights to do it - but it's still selfish behavior and short-seeing in addition. They will not become rich faster just because of it. In this way, just the most contributory findings are introduced into praxis in most slow and gradualist way. The incremental progress makes no problem from this perspective.

"The only way we will ever have free energy is if we give it away."- Dr Peter Lindemann.

• I think that the hot cat Ni is beginning to look like a waste of time if looking for real NAE heat. I hope someone can point to a study where this is not so. I am still hopeful about Li. So we need new ideas and direction. After all this time, I see no reason that we are not duplicating the magic potion at this point. We need a new direction theory and experiments.

Separately, as far as Aether goes. Eric Walker had a good point in another thread that it has to be decoupled with momentum. Zep also pointed out to a wiki on Mills GUTCP. I gathered Mills does not support Aether. It would make a good sub-thread.

• Official Post

I think that the hot cat Ni is beginning to look like a waste of time if looking for real NAE heat. I hope someone can point to a study where this is not so. I am still hopeful about Li. So we need new ideas and direction. After all this time, I see no reason that we are not duplicating the magic potion at this point. We need a new direction theory and experiments.

Well, I cling to the hope that Ni/H is possible, and if not precisely that then perhaps Titanium. The biggest problem with Pd/D is that it will never be available to everybody who needs it. There is only so much Palladium and it is very expensive. If it became a prime resource for LENR then, of course, more would be discovered and mined. But there's a problem with that, too. As well as ripping up more of out poor old planet, demand will push up the price to the point where Pd/D reactors would only be available to the uber-rich and the military. Not a democratic source of energy.

Lithium fusion, or possibly Molten Lithium Sonofusion offer interesting possibilities. I should learn more about that.

ETA- a hypothesis based on slim evidence that I will publish soon points to Pb/H, bizarrely, as being a possible alternative to Pd/D. That would certainly be affordable.

• The biggest problem with Pd/D is that it will never be available to everybody who needs it. There is only so much Palladium and it is very expensive.

In PdD work, the palladium is a catalyst. Large amounts of palladium catalyst are used in automobile catalytic converters. The palladium in a LENR device might be more easily recoverable, in fact. The key will be making active sites, what Storms calls NAE. The effect is a surface effect, not in the bulk, and if palladium is necessary, it may be that not much is needed. A few hundred dollars worth of palladium might be plenty for a substantial heat generator. Or even less. It is possible, even likely, that existing experimental designs have been very inefficient.

And yes, the search is on for other materials. Storms thinks that the palladium is not the critical issue, it may just happen that palladium creates the right size and quality of cracks. And loads well with H/D. Storms has also found, unconfirmed, that high loading is not actually necessary; apparently it simply helps form the necessary cracks.

Perhaps there is no problem that a few hundred billion dollars tossed at wouldn't solve.... for obvious reasons, I'm not suggesting funding CF research on that level, it would be difficult for the field to absorb $100 million quickly. I'm suggesting basic research and then careful exploration of the parameter space, as to what is done with serious money.

For fun ... hey, fun is great stuff! And sometimes one discovers things....

• I am not worried on the expense (to me that is cart b4 the horse). We need a simple unambiguous device of any element combination. My hopes always have laid in the CMNS concept of the lattice trapping H, I find it plausible.

I don't care what mainstream thinks. But if they can add something new great it's their flipp'n job after all. Sonofusion and cavitation still have unexplored avenues. I hope that Axil can stitch together some ideas that experimenters can work with. We have some great minds here, open minds. I wish I was more hopeful but Rossi to me is kaput. So MFMP needs to regroup. Collectively we always complain that no money is being spent. This is incorrect, it may not be hot fusion money but it ($$) is there and good engineers. So far nothing with Ni.
    The recent phonon experiment is a good example even though it did not produce extra heat. It closed off another avenue which helps narrow down the map.
    Can not wait for your Pb write-up.

• WizKid has made progress good with enriched lithium. He uses enriched Lithium 7 isotope. 98 or 99% enrichment is not expensive and worth a try. Why is their resistance to this approach, when the expense of using palladium and deuterium is being seriously considered.

• Has Wizkid released more results? I was hoping that he would have some issues with the experiments sorted out by now.

He had some elevated COP with a stainless steel rod for fuel compared to empty, and made more power than the measured resistance and voltage should allow according to Ohms law with both blanks and active runs.

I suspect that his Watts Up unit had some sort of problem, but it could be something else.
    *Watts Up did not reply to my emailed questions regarding triac waveform power measurement (although the sample rate suggests that it should be OK for messy waveforms).

• http://google.com/patents/US9023754
    Nano-skeletal catalyst

What is claimed is:
    1. A method of producing a catalyst material with nano-scale structure, the method comprising:

providing a starting powder into a nano-powder production reactor, the starting powder comprising a catalyst material;

nano-sizing the starting powder by using a plasma flow in the nano-powder production reactor, thereby producing a nano-powder from the starting powder, the nano-powder comprising a plurality of nano-particles, each nano-particle comprising the catalyst material;

Plasma treatment is how SDCmaterials, Inc. prepares their COTS nanopowders of transition metals. You can buy some tomorrow. Here again, why is their resistance to this CPTS method?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.